As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mechwarrior Online] ABANDON THREAD - FUSION REACTOR CRITICAL

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Honestly? I'm glad there's only one queue right now.

It forces 1PV-only players to maybe play against people in 3PV and actually find out how "game-changing" it is. That way we can finally find out that the boogeyman that's been keeping us up at night is really just the shadow of a coat rack that can't hurt us at all.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Just tried 3PV on testing grounds and holy crap would you have to be nuts to use 3PV in combat. Like, actually insane. No way is it going to be replacing 1PV anytime ever for serious combat.

Also, new medium torso pitch gives you crazy high/low angles for torso-mounted weapons, compared to other classes. It's a HUGE range now; my torso-mounted Blackjack lasers now traverse fully as far up and down as the arm-mounted ones, which is a pretty massive change.
    I don't really feel like it will cut down on sniping though, since snipers can use it just as easily to spot you as you can to spot them. If anything more visibility seems likely to wind up making people more tentative.

I have to disagree completely. They'll only be able to see your camera drone, not shoot you through a hilltop; if you can see a sniper peeking over a hill with the camera and they can see you peeking over the hill to see them, then you get the advantage because you are seeing them without getting shot. That lets you get away without getting pounded by sniper fire, which means you're definitely coming out ahead.

I mean I'll have to try it out on my K2, but it seems like it would make it much easier for snipers to find targets and line up a shot before poking up. Previously you'd have to either poke your head up or rely on targeting to see who was out there, but now you can just pan your camera over the top of whatever hill you're behind.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    It's not true that it gives zero advantage. You can definitely see over hills and around corners sometimes when you couldn't before. It's not a huge advantage and you wouldn't want to play in 3PV for any sustained period of time but there is a use to quickly switching in and out of it. It would be good if there was a delay in switching.

• Options
    Gaslight wrote: »
    It's not true that it gives zero advantage. You can definitely see over hills and around corners sometimes when you couldn't before. It's not a huge advantage and you wouldn't want to play in 3PV for any sustained period of time but there is a use to quickly switching in and out of it. It would be good if there was a delay in switching.

THERE IS!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    More of a delay.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Yeah, why are you mad about the inclusion of a feature that lets you spot enemy snipers hiding behind hills all the way across the map?

The same reason I have my fov cranked way up. Immersion.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Oh, machine guns. It was good while it lasted...

They're still really good with a high crit damage multiplier (9). They just aren't ALL OF THE CRITS IN HALF A SECOND anymore.

Like, now they're just good in a brawl instead of being the god weapon.

• Options
    More of a delay.

Do you really think people are going to be switching in and out of viewpoints in combat? I can't record, but I bet the amount of time it takes to deploy and undeploy the drone is about 3, 3.5 seconds

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    buff to streaks makes me more excited about driving a jenner D eventually, also

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Wait, so streaks now do more damage than regular SRMs? I... umm...

I think maybe regular SRMs should be put back at 2.5 too, for ummm, logic?

nonoffensive on
  • Options
    Beautimous_zps4c4fe26d.jpg

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options

Yes, but you can't aim them, and if you don't have the proper tools ECM can make them useless.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I have absolutely zero issue with streaks getting buffed like that. Higher damage for something you can't aim is not bad at all since you'll no longer be hammering just CTs with the damage.
    More of a delay.

Do you really think people are going to be switching in and out of viewpoints in combat? I can't record, but I bet the amount of time it takes to deploy and undeploy the drone is about 3, 3.5 seconds

It's also highly disorienting, due to the camera movement involved and how you "snap" into the cockpit at the end.

The only functional use of this thing is going to be peeking over ridges without getting splattered.

• Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular

Yes, but you can't aim them, and if you don't have the proper tools ECM can make them useless.

You might as well just roll the dice on regular SRMs right now. Half of them won't even register damage. Can you imagine what Streak 6's are gonna be like?

• Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    They seriously buffed the UAC/5? Lolfuckingwhat? They were fine before but ok! I look forward to our new Ultra AC/5 overlords!

Is anyone else concerned that their fix for the AC/2 was to "address a timing issue?" This could very well mean that the ghost heat wasn't a bug at all.

3rd Person? Eh, whatever.

And finally: Jesus, this is all they had for this patch and we've only got one more before launch. This is not good.

Yeah, when I see .5 to .52 I feel like I was right about the heat being intentional. That's not exactly a dealbreaker anyway.

I'm actually excited to try out 3PV. Once or twice.

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    And finally: Jesus, this is all they had for this patch and we've only got one more before launch. This is not good.

The writing has been on the wall for ages. While they have some really talented artists on their team, PGI either lacks sufficient quantity, or quality of programmers to get this game whipped into shape in a timely fashion.

But I've never subscribed to this whole notion of "it's a beta, wait till release" nonsense. Game development is a fluid thing, and F2P games doubly so. The game in 2 months will not look significantly different than it does now. PGI's track record over the last year is evidence enough of that.

The biggest change for release will probably be UI 2.0, maybe another map, and the first wave of CW (which I'm expecting to have very little impact on gameplay). We're still going to have silly matchmaking problems, hitbox issues, weapon imbalances, and a dearth of gameplay modes. 12 v 12 on Forest Colony in October ain't going to look that much different than it does now, and the reasons for playing are still going to be largely to grind C-Bills for new mechs, and then grind XP to level up those new mechs. Oh, and to occasionally have fun I guess ;-)

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Im still having loads of fun with the game, so ill be here for a good while.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    More of a delay.

Yes. Here's what's gonna happen: While it's quiet, people are gonna run around in 3PV for better awareness. As they get close to the combat area they'll switch back early enough for their to be ample time for the switch over to happen.

This isn't wild conjecture because I'm going to be doing it because egads man, why wouldn't you do this?
    The writing has been on the wall for ages. While they have some really talented artists on their team, PGI either lacks sufficient quantity, or quality of programmers to get this game whipped into shape in a timely fashion.

But I've never subscribed to this whole notion of "it's a beta, wait till release" nonsense. Game development is a fluid thing, and F2P games doubly so. The game in 2 months will not look significantly different than it does now. PGI's track record over the last year is evidence enough of that.

The biggest change for release will probably be UI 2.0, maybe another map, and the first wave of CW (which I'm expecting to have very little impact on gameplay). We're still going to have silly matchmaking problems, hitbox issues, weapon imbalances, and a dearth of gameplay modes. 12 v 12 on Forest Colony in October ain't going to look that much different than it does now, and the reasons for playing are still going to be largely to grind C-Bills for new mechs, and then grind XP to level up those new mechs. Oh, and to occasionally have fun I guess ;-)
    The problem I see is that when this game "launches" it's going to be a media feeding frenzy and it's going to get torn the fuck to pieces.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    More of a delay.

Yes. Here's what's gonna happen: While it's quiet, people are gonna run around in 3PV for better awareness. As they get close to the combat area they'll switch back early enough for their to be ample time for the switch over to happen.

This isn't wild conjecture because I'm going to be doing it because egads man, why wouldn't you do this?

The problem I see is that when this game "launches" it's going to be a media feeding frenzy and it's going to get torn the fuck to pieces.

Because I don't want people to see my Drone beacon all the way across the map?

And if someone is walking up behind me, I'd like to know

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    After getting used to using third person a lot in Arma 3, I'd probably try it out while out of combat, yeah. I don't know if it is viable to be used that way but if I weren't playing hardcore or whatever it'd be something to try.

• Options
    VedicIntentVedicIntent Registered User regular
    Is anyone else concerned that their fix for the AC/2 was to "address a timing issue?" This could very well mean that the ghost heat wasn't a bug at all.

Looks more to me like the AC/2 was inadvertantly stepping on the heat penalty check since their timers were identical. They decided to de-sync the two events by 0.02s, rather than actually fix the underlying bug.

Or maybe I'm cynical.

VT09mOz.png
  • Options
    Year Zero: The Altmann Contagion is spreading. I'm scared.
    ScreenShot0013_zpsa573431d.jpg

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    eh this is basically the same situation planetside was in at its 'launch,' and they've done pretty well with it over the following months. For all intents and purposes the game 'launched' as soon as they opened beta and started letting people spend actual money, so there's no real reason to care about the media event that makes it official.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular

Looks more to me like the AC/2 was inadvertantly stepping on the heat penalty check since their timers were identical. They decided to de-sync the two events by 0.02s, rather than actually fix the underlying bug.

Or maybe I'm cynical.

Nope, that's exactly it. Rather than change ghost heat they nerfed AC2's instead.

Need someone with C/D reduction trait to see if it still triggers though.

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    More of a delay.

Because you and where you're going will be visible from across the entire map. That camera drone beacon is BRIGHT.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options

dealwithit.gif

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »
    More of a delay.

Because you and where you're going will be visible from across the entire map. That camera drone beacon is BRIGHT.

What if I'm in a 6MG DD, I pop into third person mode, shake my little dinner bell, and then when somebody takes the bait I kill them because 6MG DD.

Of course more than one person might come, but how common is that right!

• Options

Or maybe I'm cynical.

I am 100% confident it's because they could not find the actual underlying bug causing the problem (because lolol Crytek 3) so this is a band-aid fix until they do.

Same as the SRM damage buff.

• Options

dealwithit.gif

That is an Awesome that was turned into a Coral Reef

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    New camo reminds me of the insignia of the 1st Prosperina Hussars.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Okay played a couple games.

I got about 5 seconds of third person to look at my paint job before I was like nope! First round with my 4sp. In a match with 2 assaults on each side and the rest mediums and heavies with some lights. It was amazing! Wen 2 kills 2 assists and 6 component destruction. So much fun. The changes to mediums helped the 4sp a bit.

Second game brought out the UAC5 murdmets. Went out of ammo damn fast after taking about 2 jagers and a stalker. Yeah, I think they over buffed it.

Funniest moment, I saw one jager on my radar coming in behind so I moved to intercept and flank him. He had his little read dot above his head. Because the man had 0 awareness and 0 radar(I was being plinked by missiles) he couldn't see me because 3rd person has no map.

3rd person is having a big red dot that says I can't see behind me, see my map or have awareness outside this small fov in front and to my sides! KILL ME!

I am not really impressed by anyone have seen with it yet.

Also fuck the money nerfs. 3 kills, 1 assist, 5 component destructions, 3 spots 700 damage and a loss on conquest? 89k. That is with a mech bonus.

Ugh, cbills are way too low right now.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    man I was playing awful last night

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular

Or maybe I'm cynical.
    Maybe. Either way that's pretty shitty and a complete fuck up that they didn't really say what the hell was going on.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    mellestadmellestad Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Karrde1842 wrote: »
    I have not played this in quite some time. I think the last time there were only like..4 or 5 maps? And everyone used Hunchbacks with a shit-ton of lasers. It appears things have changed significantly. How hard would it be to get back in?

If you've already played post Open Beta release it won't be too hard. Be sure to turn off throttle decay and arm lock (unless you are one of those mythical people that likes those "features"). Other than that, use the offline mechlabs to figure out some builds and stuff, and hop on vent and you shouldn't have too many issues.

It's funny, I hated arm lock, but now I leave it on for everything. Left shift snaps it off, and I haven't had any trouble using that to unlock my arms when I need to hit a fast mover or someone up on a hill. Saves brain cycles when I'm trying to alpha someone.

Of course, all the mechs I usually drive have heavy torso weaponry (stalkers, hunches, cents, phracts, dragons), so ymmv...

• Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    Year Zero: The Altmann Contagion is spreading. I'm scared.
    ScreenShot0013_zpsa573431d.jpg

NO! I was purple BEFORE IT WAS COOL!

/emohipster

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    arm lock on and holding shift for aim control seems preferable to me, although maybe not for a mech whose arms are locked forward anyway

ed: also yeah, losing conquest really sucks now in terms of cbills, especially since the games usually seem to take longer

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I have no doubt the AC2 situation is a bandaid for their messed up ghost heat situation.

I haven't actually tried 3PV yet, but I'm not too shaken up by it. I would prefer that it didn't exist, I would have rather seen the development time go into something else because I like the sim aspect of MWO, but I also realize that the goal of 3PV is to attract more players who want to spend real money to play dress-up barbie robot, and I understand that such infusions of cash are good for the game.

While splitting the queues would make some people happy, I worry that it would end up with a situation like that in War Thunder, but only worse. War Thunder has an arcade mode and two progressively more realistic modes - the arcade mode sees the most play, while the queue for the hardcode mode takes forever. I'm worried that if MWO splits its queues the same thing will happen, and I'm guessing that less people play MWO then War Thunder, so the problem would be worse. I like the idea of a hardcore queue where knockdowns, gyro-hits, pilot deaths all exist, but there's a very likely possibility that section of the game would be a ghost town. I think more people need to be playing MWO before they start splitting up the population.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • Options
    mellestad wrote: »
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Karrde1842 wrote: »
    I have not played this in quite some time. I think the last time there were only like..4 or 5 maps? And everyone used Hunchbacks with a shit-ton of lasers. It appears things have changed significantly. How hard would it be to get back in?

If you've already played post Open Beta release it won't be too hard. Be sure to turn off throttle decay and arm lock (unless you are one of those mythical people that likes those "features"). Other than that, use the offline mechlabs to figure out some builds and stuff, and hop on vent and you shouldn't have too many issues.

It's funny, I hated arm lock, but now I leave it on for everything. Left shift snaps it off, and I haven't had any trouble using that to unlock my arms when I need to hit a fast mover or someone up on a hill. Saves brain cycles when I'm trying to alpha someone.

Of course, all the mechs I usually drive have heavy torso weaponry (stalkers, hunches, cents, phracts, dragons), so ymmv...

Blackadder-Confused-Look.gif

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Also fuck the money nerfs. 3 kills, 1 assist, 5 component destructions, 3 spots 700 damage and a loss on conquest? 89k. That is with a mech bonus.

Ugh, cbills are way too low right now.

This so hard. This game is A LOT less fun because of it.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    On the AC2 stuff.

Look what they snuck in on the heat table.

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/127904-heat-scale-the-maths/

AC2s have a max of 3 with a 1.0 modifier just like srm4s and srm6s.

So the nerf I think is to not hit that max if you have two groups shooting or something. Not sure.

But I think they added them to this table way later because I don't remember them having a heat penalty at all.

u7stthr17eud.png