As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mechwarrior Online] ABANDON THREAD - FUSION REACTOR CRITICAL

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    That is definitely new and sneaky as fucking shit.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    My dream match is having two Lead Poison 12 man groups synch drop, meet in the middle of the map, and fire at the same time to see if we crash the game.

Will you help make my dream a reality? 8pm tomorrow night, I need 23 of my Oosik pals to meet up in vent for Operation This is Ridiculous

You have my sword Mech Machine Guns!

Oh hey, there's an actual Patch Notes link in the launcher these days. Took em long enough.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Yeah, this implementation of 3PV strikes me as an entirely reasonable method of helping the uninitiated develop a natural awareness of mech movement and orientation; these two things vary wildly from practically any other game out there, and can very well be intimidating for somebody who just shows up to try the game out.

But more than likely, anyone hanging around to develop any aptitude for the game will turn it off before long, as being able to aim well is a foundational element of higher-level gameplay. Running by enemies to scatter an alpha payload across their front torso just won't cut it when they're going to be slicing pieces off of your mech at the same time.

EDIT: Login is back up, by the way. Time to patch and see how this 3PV shakes out.

The easier fix for people that couldn't figure out torso twisting was to lock torso to legs, then let people unlock it once they were ready, just like they did for arms.

Seems like a much easier fix than inventing 3PV and modeling a little camera drone and animating it docking/undocking and setting up the delay and coding how to aim from a different angle than your guns fire from.

It would also remove the need to create a separate queue that their matchmaker would further shit the bed on.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    My dream match is having two Lead Poison 12 man groups synch drop, meet in the middle of the map, and fire at the same time to see if we crash the game.

Will you help make my dream a reality? 8pm tomorrow night, I need 23 of my Oosik pals to meet up in vent for Operation This is Ridiculous

6MG DD reporting for duty sir. I only wish I could replace my two LPLs with machine guns.
    Somehow I spent money. 6 AC2 DD inc

Ohohohoho. Even I didn't have the courage to sacrifice so much to fit 6 AC2s.

But I should do it...

So my findings were that I did way less damage than I was expecting. I'm not sure if the AC2's were firing slower than their optimal refire rate, or lagging, or not registering hits. Come to think of it, this could be why my connection kept hitting 3000 ping and I'd rubberband around for the next 3 seconds.

It feels like an under-engined assault. I was pretty slow, which wouldn't be a problem if my shots connected further out than 400 meters. I shelved it after a couple matches as too bugged.

I'm gonna try 4 UAC5's next.

edited August 2013

While I don't dig on 12s this is the sort of shit that I never hesitate to sign up for. Count me in!

So I was goofing off with MGs on the test server. The TTK an exposed part is definitely longer but it doesn't feel too long. I think they might be right where they should be now but that's just an initial impression. I'll keep using them today and see how it goes.

Also UAC/5s because hahaha why wouldn't you use those now?

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Well, any 4 plus ac2 build just went out the window. They're already hot as fuck, don't see why they needed ghost heat (same with LLs). And they fire much faster than SRMs, so the heat will build faster..

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    4xAC/2 JagerMechp is still quite playable, although my test match WAS on Alpine (cool map).

Incidentally they did a Command Chair post and said that they don't think 3PV gives any advantage and so they've basically put any plans for separate queues on indefinite hold.

Gaslight on
    Gaslight wrote: »
    4xAC/2 JagerMechp is still quite playable, although my test match WAS on Alpine (cool map).

Incidentally they did a Command Chair post and said that they don't think 3PV gives any advantage and so they've basically put any plans for separate queues on indefinite hold.

romney.jpg

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Yeah, this implementation of 3PV strikes me as an entirely reasonable method of helping the uninitiated develop a natural awareness of mech movement and orientation; these two things vary wildly from practically any other game out there, and can very well be intimidating for somebody who just shows up to try the game out.

But more than likely, anyone hanging around to develop any aptitude for the game will turn it off before long, as being able to aim well is a foundational element of higher-level gameplay. Running by enemies to scatter an alpha payload across their front torso just won't cut it when they're going to be slicing pieces off of your mech at the same time.

EDIT: Login is back up, by the way. Time to patch and see how this 3PV shakes out.

The easier fix for people that couldn't figure out torso twisting was to lock torso to legs, then let people unlock it once they were ready, just like they did for arms.

Seems like a much easier fix than inventing 3PV and modeling a little camera drone and animating it docking/undocking and setting up the delay and coding how to aim from a different angle than your guns fire from.

It would also remove the need to create a separate queue that their matchmaker would further shit the bed on.

But the thing is that I don't think the problem is that people can't handle moving and torso twisting, it's the spatial awareness issue involved.

Keep in mind that I've been playing MW games from 1PV since 1995; in other words, I have one helluva grip on handling cumbersome mechs naturally from that viewpoint. However, the vast majority of non-veterans coming into this game are going to be coming from FPS games where your viewpoint is attached to massively narrower model profile; they just aren't going to have the wiring in place to realize the width of the mech actually really means something significant when maneuvering.

But if you throw in 3PV, all of a sudden people can actually see the why of getting stuck on pieces of terrain or on other mechs, rather than their FPS-trained instincts insisting there's nothing to get caught on. Once they spend a few hours getting a feel for that, then they can switch over to the much-superior 1PV, instead of spending a long while getting aggravated over something they don't have a feel for.

To give you an example of what I'm talking about, yesterday I got stuck on a little bit of rock on the ground two different times thanks to dumb movement mechanic issues. My MWO-trained brain was insisting there was absolutely nothing in the way to keep me from moving, so it was extremely frustrating to be stuck on what appeared to be nothing; this is what the lack of 3PV is going to make the game feel like to new players, constantly. To a rookie used to FPS games, 3PV would help bridge the gap between "why am I getting stuck?" and "my mech is this wide and I don't have to think about it" a lot faster, because they can make a visual correlation between the size of the mech and where it interacts with terrain instead of constantly getting plastered because they jammed their right side up against an outcropping and can't figure out why they're held up.

There are real, solid reasons for the 3PV thing, and this implementation of it earns zero concern from me about keeping the right experience in the game. 1PV is way better for virtually every purpose; people aren't going to be winning because they can peak over ridges or have their arms locked to their torso at all times with bumpy aim.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    On the other hand, those same newbies would likely get annoyed at the jankiness of 3P, assume its that way because the game sucks, and quit.

• nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    I'm cool with the floating red light as long as anytime they can see you, you can see them. Just think of it as another vision mode, just a matter of balancing it so that people aren't using it 100% of the time. Like thermal in Beta.

Its the invisible eye of god 3rd person I'd be pissed about. I mean Seismic is still in the game...

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    On the other hand, those same newbies would likely get annoyed at the jankiness of 3P, assume its that way because the game sucks, and quit.

If they were going to quit because they can't stop getting stuck on things and also quit because of how a mode that lets them not do that works, then nothing is lost anyway because the 3PV is still going to get more people into the game than otherwise.

And yes, an absolute fuckload of this has to do with PGI being absolutely ignorant of the need for even the most basic tutorial, but we have what we have. 3PV will have little meaningful effect on the game besides trying to do a bit of quick hilltop recon no longer being a recipe for eating 3-4 sniper salvos from waiting mechs, and I'm not really broken up about that.

In fact, to make me happy, all they would really need to do is make the camera drone destroyable, so people peeking over hilltops can have the thing destroyed just like how UAVs work.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So the SSRM2 Golden Boy with the damage buffs seems like a success to me.
    Build:
    [Golden_Boy]: 5xSSRM, 3xMPLS, AMS, 280XL, DHS

Also nice that there are way more mediums out today because of the buffs. Going to enjoy it while I can. Damn just noticed that 1k damage victor. Go him! But still 412 is my record on the Golden Boy. The 3 kills doesn't hurt either.

ScreenShot0014_zps34777614.jpg

In a more amusing screenshot from a game on 4SP. This poor Cicada just got turned upside down after I blew off its leg.

ScreenShot0013_zpsd08b3919.jpg

u7stthr17eud.png
    Is the massive Kintaro damage-magnet CT fixed at all with this patch?

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Is the massive Kintaro damage-magnet CT fixed at all with this patch?

September 3rd.

I was just using everyone else as a body shield. And with the lower amount of snipers today because it is patch day I am living longer.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I so desperately want to see the glory and splendor that are my mechs' paint jobs through the eyes of this 3PV thing...

...but I also have a compulsion to find and claim every orb data cluster in sight in Crackdown 2 Saints Row 4. I'm afraid I might be out of the MWO lineup for a whiles. :(

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I like to use MWO rounds as palette cleansers when binging on longer games. Play for 3-4 hours, couple rounds of MWO, repeat.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I just had an 800 damage game on my double gauss ilya, I wish I'd taken a screenshot. I could've done more if I hadn't used like a third of my gauss ammo trying to hit some jenner ><

and yeah I think the gnashing of teeth over third person has been really overblown, now. You can't use it to do much except kind of peek around corners, and losing 7-8 seconds just to do that seems pretty marginal. It will make me want to buy colors though, now that I can look at my own

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited August 2013
    In regards to 3PV, my VERY FIRST MATCH after it's implemented had a grand total of 2 people use it, and both of them got annihilated.

So. Yeah. Not a problem.

EDIT: Conquest with the new cap speeds is definitely still ass, though. Just turning that shit off until they fix it; tired of having three mechs against one at the five hundred resource mark and the game now being impossible to win.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    kYkj9F2.jpg

Welp this happened.

bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Forbe! wrote: »

Welp this happened.

second place, a/k/a first loser.... What was the CDA running tho??

fwKS7.png?1
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    4x MLAS, 2x SRM6, XL300

bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    Haha, balance is so awful that even wins irritate me with the balance. Even with good games.

Had a match where the enemy team outweighed us and outnumbered us thanks to two disconnects and massively out-cheesed us (3 Highlander PPC + gauss, a PPC Stalker, two gauss Cats, etc). Team kept it together and focused fire, and absolutely wrecked the shit out of them on Alpine, 1-11. It was a great match with great teamwork, and it still irritated me that it only happened because of good teamwork and pilots; we were still massively outweighed by a couple hundred tons, easy.

Think I may be taking a break for a while and see if PGI really intends to do shit-all about the balance in the near future. The game is better than it's been in a while, but I think I've hit my limit of getting one good game for every 4 shitty, hyper-unbalanced losses because PGI removed the one functional matchmaking balance mechanic they actually had working.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Forbe! wrote: »
    kYkj9F2.jpg

Welp this happened.

Only 2700 for the Oosik lance?

Disgraceful!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Haha, balance is so awful that even wins irritate me with the balance. Even with good games.

Had a match where the enemy team outweighed us and outnumbered us thanks to two disconnects and massively out-cheesed us (3 Highlander PPC + gauss, a PPC Stalker, two gauss Cats, etc). Team kept it together and focused fire, and absolutely wrecked the shit out of them on Alpine, 1-11. It was a great match with great teamwork, and it still irritated me that it only happened because of good teamwork and pilots; we were still massively outweighed by a couple hundred tons, easy.

Think I may be taking a break for a while and see if PGI really intends to do shit-all about the balance in the near future. The game is better than it's been in a while, but I think I've hit my limit of getting one good game for every 4 shitty, hyper-unbalanced losses because PGI removed the one functional matchmaking balance mechanic they actually had working.

How do you balance based on how well strangers might work together?

Sounds balanced to me if the under armored under gunned team wins because because they play like a team

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

Sounds balanced to me if the under armored under gunned team wins because because they play like a team

sounds more like a broken calendar occasionally having the day of the week match the month/day.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    edited August 2013
    For a bit of fun, check out the MWO official board for balance. People are completely shitting their pants over the 3PV mode like it's a severe balance problem. I wonder if any of them have actually tried the mode or played the game with it? Because better than 95% of the players I've seen so far just shut the thing off immediately or have it switched off from the start, because it hurts you when trying to fight more than anything else.

Though my favorite thing is the people mad about players being able to see PPC mechs hill-humping without exposing themselves. Oh noes! I don't need to put my face up so you have an easy target for 3-5 seconds! OH THE HGN-MANITY!

Seriously, sniper builds getting the short end of the stick for the first time in... 6 months? 8 months? Yeah, I'm gonna cry big wet tears over that. And they still work, people just don't have to be easy prey to them anymore. Let the drone be destroyable and it'll fit in the game just fine.

sounds more like a broken calendar occasionally having the day of the week match the month/day.

Yeah, it was the fact that even weight-imbalanced games can be completely great if the matchmaker bothers to give you a real, functional group of pilots instead of 6 morons, 3 rookies, and maybe 3 people who know what to do. Most other matches like that turn into rolls in the complete opposite direction, because you get stuck with shit pilots and underweight mechs.

But since we've seen that PGI clearly has fuck-all knowledge about how to make the ELO work, pulling the weight matching and implementing the worthless ELO was about as much a waste of time as is possible.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    isn't the ELO they have pretty much restricted to new pilots anyway? not really seeing what the problem with it is

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    The ELO, theoretically, matches better pilots with better pilots; you're supposed to have an ELO ranking for each class of mech you've played in. In reality, it makes for horrendously-poor balance, because it completely ignores mech weight and frequently stacks a lot of good pilots on one team to counteract a couple of great pilots. 6-8 good pilots in MWO are worth ten times as much as 1-2 awesome pilots, especially when the better pilots can be piloting lights, mediums, and heavies instead of a stack of assaults. And new players constantly get thrown into matches with very, very veteran players in order to make up the skill "difference"; I can't even count the number of times I've seen Atlases that don't know how to make different weapon groups or Catapults who alpha fire every shot.

So what you get, with great frequency, are teams with a bunch of inexperienced or poor pilots with one or two great pilots fighting a team that is half assaults with solid pilots, resulting in constant rolls. Balanced matches are a total crapshoot to get, because not only does one side frequently outweigh the other by a very large margin, there's no telling at all who has people that are actually competent.

Well, up until half a team runs off to fight 12 mechs solo and gets immediately butchered, which be depressing or hilarious, depending on your point of view. :P

Wait I just thought of the perfect reply: Nerf synergy weapons!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBh895KdXAU

If nobody can work together, than nobody can ever have the better team!

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

I was about to have to choke a moon until I read that more closely

5gsowHm.png
    edited August 2013
    I want an information warfare module that disconnects the other team from their vent server

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

I want an information warfare module that disconnects the other team from their vent server

Or does this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE3KdcTgrno

wWuzwvJ.png
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    One should distinguish between the angst on the official forum from those who think 3PV is actually advantageous or game breaking in any way (which is largely silly) and the angst from those who are upset at PGI for going back in their explicit word on an issue people felt strongly about (which is pretty understandable).

3PV itself is probably not going to have a substantial impact on the game besides temporarily confusing newbies, but PGI's handling of the whole thing is a debacle from a community relations standpoint. It further serves to make them look like they don't have a plan, don't listen to feedback, and don't value their dedicated core of players.

Gaslight on
    edited August 2013
    So having used it, I can definitely say you can quite easily use 3PV as a periscope to very quickly peek over ridges. It deploys almost immediately and reeling it back in, while it does take a couple seconds, leaves your crosshair perfectly on screen with no deviation so you can keep your aim steady.

Reeling it back in and deploying it should short your HUD completely out and deploying it needs to be more of a process.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Re: 3PV - to be quite honest I don't have a huge problem with third-person view, because not only doesn't it confer a ginormous advantage as people claim it does, but unlike most other third-person shooter games out there there is actually a legitimate, in-game, lore-friendly reason for its existence. So I think the "simulator" argument is kind of out, really.

and also i suck at Mechwarrior regardless of which view I use ;-;

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    FELLOW OOSIKS, I BRING GOOD TIDINGS!

After a month of work, and tweaking, and commissioning, and ugly proofs, and nervously waiting, Project Give Away Fun Things is now underway!

What is Project Give Away Fun Things? This is!
    0812d52f-c5bd-4f99-8d4d-e80188821d0f.jpg

And I'm no modern-day scrooge. I brought enough for the whoooooole team (I hope)!
    d082ddee-e461-4c6b-a231-e8450bb0ccb4.jpg

You're probably wondering 'what the heck'. I'm doing this because I like you guys, and in commemoration of my first trip to PAX! So I'm going to be bringing a bunch of these with me to Seattle to give away to any Oosiks that make the trip.

...but most of you aren't going to be there. So if you aren't, and you'd like one, I'm going to mail you one! No obligations, no charge! All you have to do is go here:
    OOSIKS BADGE REQUEST FORM!

...and once I'm back from PAX, I'm going to start sending them out by post. I'll keep your info private, and destroy it once I've mailed you your patch.

I'll post again about the Project before I leave and after I return from PAX, just to make everyone gets the message.

Thanks for being awesome, guys. I look forward to the future of the Oosiks!

(Special thanks to @TOGSolid for letting me use the death's head art. This wouldn't have gotten far without that!)

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Awesome! Request entered! Also, I forgot what the Latin translates to.

Stabbity_Style.png