As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mechwarrior Online] ABANDON THREAD - FUSION REACTOR CRITICAL

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    BotP.
    Nips wrote: »
    FELLOW OOSIKS, I BRING GOOD TIDINGS!

After a month of work, and tweaking, and commissioning, and ugly proofs, and nervously waiting, Project Give Away Fun Things is now underway!

What is Project Give Away Fun Things? This is!
    0812d52f-c5bd-4f99-8d4d-e80188821d0f.jpg

And I'm no modern-day scrooge. I brought enough for the whoooooole team (I hope)!
    d082ddee-e461-4c6b-a231-e8450bb0ccb4.jpg

You're probably wondering 'what the heck'. I'm doing this because I like you guys, and in commemoration of my first trip to PAX! So I'm going to be bringing a bunch of these with me to Seattle to give away to any Oosiks that make the trip.

...but most of you aren't going to be there. So if you aren't, and you'd like one, I'm going to mail you one! No obligations, no charge! All you have to do is go here:
    OOSIKS BADGE REQUEST FORM!

...and once I'm back from PAX, I'm going to start sending them out by post. I'll keep your info private, and destroy it once I've mailed you your patch.

I'll post again about the Project before I leave and after I return from PAX, just to make everyone gets the message.

Thanks for being awesome, guys. I look forward to the future of the Oosiks!

(Special thanks to @TOGSolid for letting me use the death's head art. This wouldn't have gotten far without that!)

Stabbity: "With Stiff Resolve" :D

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    I'll get mine at PAX...awesome stuff.

• KusmerogluKusmeroglu Consumer Glue (aka Petra) Registered User regular
    Holy wow Nips, this is awesome. Good work!

x5jS9QJ.png
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    No shit.

bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Wish I could get to pax prime, hopefullycan hit east this year.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    Are large pulse lasers in the same "heat group" as large lasers? Can I fire two large lasers and a large pulse simultaneously without the penalty?

I don't see any breakout of these heat groups in the 'mechlab, which actually seems like it could really fuck over a newbie.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    One should distinguish between the angst on the official forum from those who think 3PV is actually advantageous or game breaking in any way (which is largely silly) and the angst from those who are upset at PGI for going back in their explicit word on an issue people felt strongly about (which is pretty understandable).

3PV itself is probably not going to have a substantial impact on the game besides temporarily confusing newbies, but PGI's handling of the whole thing is a debacle from a community relations standpoint. It further serves to make them look like they don't have a plan, don't listen to feedback, and don't value their dedicated core of players.

why did you 'feel strongly' about it though? Just like, because? What you consider a debacle is up to you but if something this minor constitutes a debacle you might wanna re-evaluate your definitions of stuff

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Yes, all variations of large laser,etc, count together.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    @Nips: Amazing! I owe you a beer. Maybe more than one.

@PGI: Nerfed AC/2s? Really? At least I can run Lil' Dakka again (dual AC/2 Cicada).

8R7BtLw.png
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Wowowow those turned out nice.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • mellestadmellestad Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    mellestad wrote: »
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Karrde1842 wrote: »
    I have not played this in quite some time. I think the last time there were only like..4 or 5 maps? And everyone used Hunchbacks with a shit-ton of lasers. It appears things have changed significantly. How hard would it be to get back in?

If you've already played post Open Beta release it won't be too hard. Be sure to turn off throttle decay and arm lock (unless you are one of those mythical people that likes those "features"). Other than that, use the offline mechlabs to figure out some builds and stuff, and hop on vent and you shouldn't have too many issues.

It's funny, I hated arm lock, but now I leave it on for everything. Left shift snaps it off, and I haven't had any trouble using that to unlock my arms when I need to hit a fast mover or someone up on a hill. Saves brain cycles when I'm trying to alpha someone.

Of course, all the mechs I usually drive have heavy torso weaponry (stalkers, hunches, cents, phracts, dragons), so ymmv...

Blackadder-Confused-Look.gif

My left DRG breast always has some heat in it. If you know what I mean.

• CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    They didn't put up the phoenix colors yet for those who ordered did they?

Sadness. I wanted to see how they looked on the other mechs.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    @Nips You're a peach. Form sent.
    why did you 'feel strongly' about it though?

I didn't say I did. A lot of other players did, though.
    What you consider a debacle is up to you but if something this minor constitutes a debacle you might wanna re-evaluate your definitions of stuff

It's not minor. There was an issue that a large segment of the playerbase clearly cared about, PGI made a clear promise that they would handle it one way, and then they did exactly the opposite of what they promised, and now surprise! ...a lot of players are mad. Whether the way they ended up handling it is actually so bad isn't the issue; the issue is that they antagonized their players needlessly and strained whatever trust exists between them and their community - and, please forgive me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall you saying you're fairly new to the game or only came back to it recently so maybe you're not aware, but there has been a LOT of other stuff in the year-plus since closed beta started which has already strained people's confidence and trust in PGI plenty.

3PV as it was actually implemented ain't the disaster for the game people feared, but people are having trouble seeing that because they feel like they were lied to, and PGI has nobody to blame for that but themselves. Don't make promises you can't be sure you're going to keep is pretty much basic PR.

Gaslight on

After a month of work, and tweaking, and commissioning, and ugly proofs, and nervously waiting, Project Give Away Fun Things is now underway!

And I'm no modern-day scrooge. I brought enough for the whoooooole team (I hope)!

You're probably wondering 'what the heck'. I'm doing this because I like you guys, and in commemoration of my first trip to PAX! So I'm going to be bringing a bunch of these with me to Seattle to give away to any Oosiks that make the trip.

...but most of you aren't going to be there. So if you aren't, and you'd like one, I'm going to mail you one! No obligations, no charge! All you have to do is go here:

...and once I'm back from PAX, I'm going to start sending them out by post. I'll keep your info private, and destroy it once I've mailed you your patch.

I'll post again about the Project before I leave and after I return from PAX, just to make everyone gets the message.

(Special thanks to @TOGSolid for letting me use the death's head art. This wouldn't have gotten far without that!)

You're a beautiful human being.

• heckelsheckels Registered User regular

That's awesome Nips!!!

heckels_zps9443e2b3.png
  • Red M3naceRed M3nace Registered User regular
    Great badges Nips!

Had another few fun games with y'all, glad I joined up.

What are the official Oosik colours? Is there a pattern as well?

red-m3nace.png
    Red M3nace wrote: »
    Great badges Nips!

Had another few fun games with y'all, glad I joined up.

What are the official Oosik colours? Is there a pattern as well?

Official "parade" colors are blue, orange, and white to match the PA color scheme. People seem to like cobalt or hellblau for the blue as I recall, and blood orange for the orange?

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Blood Orange, Hellblau, and Titanium White.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Red M3naceRed M3nace Registered User regular
    Thanks, I'll pick them up.

red-m3nace.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    It's not minor. There was an issue that a large segment of the playerbase clearly cared about, PGI made a clear promise that they would handle it one way, and then they did exactly the opposite of what they promised, and now surprise! ...a lot of players are mad. Whether the way they ended up handling it is actually so bad isn't the issue; the issue is that they antagonized their players needlessly and strained whatever trust exists between them and their community - and, please forgive me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall you saying you're fairly new to the game or only came back to it recently so maybe you're not aware, but there has been a LOT of other stuff in the year-plus since closed beta started which has already strained people's confidence and trust in PGI plenty.

3PV as it was actually implemented ain't the disaster for the game people feared, but people are having trouble seeing that because they feel like they were lied to, and PGI has nobody to blame for that but themselves. Don't make promises you can't be sure you're going to keep is pretty much basic PR.

Yeah, the issue with what 3PV does (and how it isn't anything like people feared it would be) really is an entirely different issue from the fact that PGI really did tell the playerbase, flat-out, that nobody would have to play against 3PV players if they didn't want to.

Granted, I can understand why PGI thinks 3PV is not a big deal, but that really is entirely beside the point. PGI told the playerbase, straight-up with no misinterpretation possible, that the game would be one way, then turned out to do it a completely different way because it created more problems than they could handle. And, frankly, we've known for months that, regardless of what 3PV might do to the game, putting it in was going to cause a lot of problems one way or another.

Really, this whole thing is just another indicator of how horrifically mismanaged the MWO project has been. If IGP could yank whoever is in charge at PGI and replace them with a competent team leader who actually understood the real problems with the game and knew how to properly prioritize problems and fixes, the overall experience and game quality would improve tenfold. I'm pretty convinced that PGI has people that know what they're doing, but the people in charge at PGI know absolutely nothing about what takes precedence. That's why we get things like amazing new mech models and bits of accurate game fluff, but a matchmaking system that is total shit and game balance that stays broken for months at a time.

EDIT: Also, @Nips, that is some pure class, man.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Cobalt, titanium white, blood orange.

Its preference really. Just grab something thats close to orange blue and white. We're not picky.

kx3klFE.png
    edited August 2013

Its preference really. Just grab something thats close to orange blue and white. We're not picky.

Yea, I use Prussian for my blue, just because I like it. Blood Orange and Titanium white are really nice colors though, even if you're not parading.

mellestad on
  • VedicIntentVedicIntent Registered User regular
    Those are really good looking, Nips, and the logo really transfers well into the stitching.

God I love Oosiks*. <3<3<3

*the MechWarrior kind

VT09mOz.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    @Nips You're a peach. Form sent.
    why did you 'feel strongly' about it though?

I didn't say I did. A lot of other players did, though.
    What you consider a debacle is up to you but if something this minor constitutes a debacle you might wanna re-evaluate your definitions of stuff

this is a dumb criticism. It reads like people looking for an excuse for something to be mad about, getting mad about something that isn't a big deal at all. If a bunch of people are overreacting to something that has minor to no gameplay impact that's a case of players being stupid. Saying stuff like 'it's a case of the project being mismanaged' or whatever is dumb; they found a way to implement a feature a lot of players wanted that avoids the gameplay issues people had with it. That's good! But instead people wanna get mad because of some statement from however long ago.

NREqxl5.jpg
    edited August 2013
    But instead people wanna get mad because of some statement from however long ago.

March, as I recall. Not that you would know? From now on, I guess everybody will be aware PGI's promises come with expiration dates. :rotate:

Look man, "People just want something to be mad about" is a dumb way to respond to criticism. It's impossible to prove or disprove and it's a convenient way of dismissing complaints without addressing their substance. I have been a fan of the BattleTech/MechWarrior universe since I was 12 years old, I was in these threads for months before the closed beta started speculating and frothing with anticipation, I have spent hundreds of hours playing this game since I started in closed beta over a year ago and invested several hundred dollars in it, I've stuck with it through all of the disastrous bug-riddled patches and the wild careening from one imbalanced flavor-of-the-month meta to another and the weird decisions by PGI. And I frankly don't appreciate it when somebody who wandered back in a week ago implies I just want to complain for its own sake like I don't really care about this stuff because if I didn't really care I would have moved on a long time ago. I'm not mad and I don't think you're trying to be a goose to anybody but it does not come across well. There are certainly malcontents in every fanbase but there are also a LOT of people in the community for this game who have invested a LOT both emotionally and financially and some of them understandably have started to feel they've made a questionable investment. And they don't deserve cavalier disrespect.

Gaslight on
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Welp, waiting to jump back in for a couple reasons. First is school just started back up and I'm gonna be swamped all semester. A 400 level English class was not a terribly good decision. Secondly and probably most importantly, I'm still waiting for rewards to get bumped back up.

Stabbity_Style.png
    Other than the oversized CT, I'm enjoying the Kintaro so far. I'm not a big ballistics guy, so I don't feel like I'm missing much.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013

Wooo, do want! I can just get mine from yah at PAX though. :D

Yea, I use Prussian for my blue, just because I like it. Blood Orange and Titanium white are really nice colors though, even if you're not parading.
    I started using Tartan Blue because that shit is as bold and bright as Blood Orange and Titanium White.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    So, uh, the KablamaPhract is, well, really good now. TOG and I ripped apart a nearly fresh Stalker in like 7 seconds in an awe-inspiring barrage from our LB-30Xs.

Of course it's still limited to mostly SRM ranges, but in those ranges....hoooh baby (*)

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Other than the oversized CT, I'm enjoying the Kintaro so far. I'm not a big ballistics guy, so I don't feel like I'm missing much.

I have been messing around with a ssrm Kintaro. Not super effective but fun. I will probably go back to my standard 60 point srm build but this one is great at hunting lights.

I love the mech myself. It is just a giant commando and I love my commandos.

u7stthr17eud.png
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    So, uh, the KablamaPhract is, well, really good now. TOG and I ripped apart a nearly fresh Stalker in like 7 seconds in an awe-inspiring barrage from our LB-30Xs.

Of course it's still limited to mostly SRM ranges, but in those ranges....hoooh baby (*)

The LB-10X is legit good these days. I look forward to coming up with all sorts of wacky new builds based around it.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So happy the LBX is good now. Still makes the best sound.

My 4SP today became my only positive kill ratio mech and probably one of my favorites. With the changes I can make some crazy shots in that thing.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    So happy the LBX is good now. Still makes the best sound.

My 4SP today became my only positive kill ratio mech and probably one of my favorites. With the changes I can make some crazy shots in that thing.

Yeah, I ran a 4P and the new pitch and yaw angles are so hilariously good. Mediums still require some solid skill behind them but good pilots are going to be able to be complete bastards in them.

wWuzwvJ.png
    Tog and I were running a match in a Death Star (HBK-4P w/ 9 MLAS) and a Death Star II (AWS-8Q w/ 3 LLAS and 4 MLAS), respectively. We rolled through the cave on Forest Colony and popped out the upper end when Tog spotted a lone Stalker pointed downrange.

Tog: There's a poor little Stalker here all alone, and he hasn't seen us.
    Gorn: You want to take his legs?

16 laser beams reach out and slice off a fully-armored leg. The stalker slowly turns around; he has enough time to figure out what's happening, but not enough time to do anything about it. Right on cue, 16 more beams slice off his other leg and he topples down. He lasted just a hair over five seconds.

Our cruisers can't repel firepower of that magnitude!

edited August 2013
    hW3atsl.jpg

I think this says everything that needs to be said about 3PV. I was doing exactly this earlier today and it is a fucking problem.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Up periscope!

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    hW3atsl.jpg

I think this says everything that needs to be said about 3PV. I was doing exactly this earlier today and it is a fucking problem.

That is so beyond not a problem. You're giving up arm tracking and a minimap for 3pv. If you mean as a quick scout measure, that comes down to just changing deployment time, raising the drone higher to give away your own position, and requiring you to stop to do so. That is it. If you want to go one step further, make it so any mech you see like that doesn't show up as targetable if your mech can't actually see them, or make the drone targetable, with destruction giving 3pv a lengthy cooldown, or disabling it for the rest of the match.

But instead people wanna get mad because of some statement from however long ago.

March, as I recall. Not that you would know? From now on, I guess everybody will be aware PGI's promises come with expiration dates. :rotate:

Look man, "People just want something to be mad about" is a dumb way to respond to criticism. It's impossible to prove or disprove and it's a convenient way of dismissing complaints without addressing their substance. I have been a fan of the BattleTech/MechWarrior universe since I was 12 years old, I was in these threads for months before the closed beta started speculating and frothing with anticipation, I have spent hundreds of hours playing this game since I started in closed beta over a year ago and invested several hundred dollars in it, I've stuck with it through all of the disastrous bug-riddled patches and the wild careening from one imbalanced flavor-of-the-month meta to another and the weird decisions by PGI. And I frankly don't appreciate it when somebody who wandered back in a week ago implies I just want to complain for its own sake like I don't really care about this stuff because if I didn't really care I would have moved on a long time ago. I'm not mad and I don't think you're trying to be a goose to anybody but it does not come across well. There are certainly malcontents in every fanbase but there are also a LOT of people in the community for this game who have invested a LOT both emotionally and financially and some of them understandably have started to feel they've made a questionable investment. And they don't deserve cavalier disrespect.

people are mad when there's literally nothing to be mad about. There's no other way to explain it. It's ridiculous for people to be mad at something that nobody actually thinks is a gameplay problem in the first place, and even more ridiculous to then act like it's the company's fault that they're mad.

NREqxl5.jpg
    Why don't they just lock you into first or third-person view for the duration of a match? It's not like fresh newbies are going to be toggling that in the heat of battle anyway--that's something only veterans will exploit, and something we don't want them exploiting.

• OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I think my favorite point of the 3PV bitching was on the official boards, where a poster wanted to make the point that PGI was utterly incompetent for including 3PV, but there's the inconvenient fact that MW2/3/4 and MPBT 3025 all had 3PV, so his extremely tortured complaint ended up something like, "if only PGI had any clue how to make a real BattleTech game, like EGA Solaris."

All I could think of was an old Onion infographic about the highlights of Munich Oktoberfest where one of the points was "A pictorial celebration of German culture, 1740-1914, 1950-present."