As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mechwarrior Online] ABANDON THREAD - FUSION REACTOR CRITICAL

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    But instead people wanna get mad because of some statement from however long ago.

March, as I recall. Not that you would know? From now on, I guess everybody will be aware PGI's promises come with expiration dates. :rotate:

Look man, "People just want something to be mad about" is a dumb way to respond to criticism. It's impossible to prove or disprove and it's a convenient way of dismissing complaints without addressing their substance. I have been a fan of the BattleTech/MechWarrior universe since I was 12 years old, I was in these threads for months before the closed beta started speculating and frothing with anticipation, I have spent hundreds of hours playing this game since I started in closed beta over a year ago and invested several hundred dollars in it, I've stuck with it through all of the disastrous bug-riddled patches and the wild careening from one imbalanced flavor-of-the-month meta to another and the weird decisions by PGI. And I frankly don't appreciate it when somebody who wandered back in a week ago implies I just want to complain for its own sake like I don't really care about this stuff because if I didn't really care I would have moved on a long time ago. I'm not mad and I don't think you're trying to be a goose to anybody but it does not come across well. There are certainly malcontents in every fanbase but there are also a LOT of people in the community for this game who have invested a LOT both emotionally and financially and some of them understandably have started to feel they've made a questionable investment. And they don't deserve cavalier disrespect.

people are mad when there's literally nothing to be mad about. There's no other way to explain it. It's ridiculous for people to be mad at something that nobody actually thinks is a gameplay problem in the first place, and even more ridiculous to then act like it's the company's fault that they're mad.

People are also mad when there is something to complain about.

Take Tog's picture for example, he sees something wrong, I don't. I'm not calling him a malcontent for it.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    hW3atsl.jpg

I think this says everything that needs to be said about 3PV. I was doing exactly this earlier today and it is a fucking problem.

That is so beyond not a problem. You're giving up arm tracking and a minimap for 3pv. If you mean as a quick scout measure, that comes down to just changing deployment time, raising the drone higher to give away your own position, and requiring you to stop to do so. That is it. If you want to go one step further, make it so any mech you see like that doesn't show up as targetable if your mech can't actually see them, or make the drone targetable, with destruction giving 3pv a lengthy cooldown, or disabling it for the rest of the match.

I do mean it as a quick thing. Instead of having to actually weigh whether to crest and take a potentially dangerous look I can now just raise my periscope for a quick peek. Veterans are going to exploit the fuck out of this, I know I already am.

A change definitely needs to happen to make popping in and out like that have actual consequences.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »
    hW3atsl.jpg

I think this says everything that needs to be said about 3PV. I was doing exactly this earlier today and it is a fucking problem.

That is so beyond not a problem. You're giving up arm tracking and a minimap for 3pv. If you mean as a quick scout measure, that comes down to just changing deployment time, raising the drone higher to give away your own position, and requiring you to stop to do so. That is it. If you want to go one step further, make it so any mech you see like that doesn't show up as targetable if your mech can't actually see them, or make the drone targetable, with destruction giving 3pv a lengthy cooldown, or disabling it for the rest of the match.

I do mean it as a quick thing. Instead of having to actually weigh whether to crest and take a potentially dangerous look I can now just raise my periscope for a quick peek. Veterans are going to exploit the fuck out of this, I know I already am.

A change definitely needs to happen to make popping in and out like that have actual consequences.

Totally. I just mean, I don't think it's going to affect much other than the few minutes prior to an engagement. Veterans will exploit it simply because it's easier than a light going well around and seeing a group in the distance. It's an easier way to get sight of an ambush from safety, but not the only one.

To sum it up. Slight tweaks to it, not gamebreaking. Won't use it personally other than to oogle my mech.

• OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Yeah. 3PV isn't great. Is it the destroyer of games? Not really. But it doesn't seem to help with their number 1 reason of adding it - helping noobs understand you move more like a tank than a man.

3PV is here and we are just going to have to live with it.

That and shitty c bill rewards. Dear god.

I am totally gun-shy on bumping my phoenix up to the 60$ one. Already feel like I jumped the gun too early for the 40$.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Question #1 - 297 votes
    GaussDragon : Are you (PGI) going to make an official response to the two #saveMWO Town Hall events that have taken place? One of the common grievances was lack of communication and that #saveMWO was created partly as a response to an inadequate communication process. Are there any initiatives to improve this and to reach out to greater cross sections of the community?

Along the same lines with 273 votes
    NihilCredo: With #saveMWO's thousands-strong effort being brushed aside, what can PGI do to assure others that their feedback matters?

Ugh. Fuck those people.

Stabbity_Style.png
    I think the best solution to the 3PV problem of using it as a periscope is to allow people to change views only once per game. There's really no reason to allow it more than that anyway.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    man I wish you could just buy a stripped chassis; it's annoying to have to shell out for one and then immediately sell half the stuff in it

ed: also for the pilot tree skills with more than one rank, do you just buy the module once? Or do you have to buy an 'advanced' one when you get the second rank of the skill?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    FELLOW OOSIKS, I BRING GOOD TIDINGS!

After a month of work, and tweaking, and commissioning, and ugly proofs, and nervously waiting, Project Give Away Fun Things is now underway!

What is Project Give Away Fun Things? This is!
    0812d52f-c5bd-4f99-8d4d-e80188821d0f.jpg

And I'm no modern-day scrooge. I brought enough for the whoooooole team (I hope)!
    d082ddee-e461-4c6b-a231-e8450bb0ccb4.jpg

You're probably wondering 'what the heck'. I'm doing this because I like you guys, and in commemoration of my first trip to PAX! So I'm going to be bringing a bunch of these with me to Seattle to give away to any Oosiks that make the trip.

...but most of you aren't going to be there. So if you aren't, and you'd like one, I'm going to mail you one! No obligations, no charge! All you have to do is go here:
    OOSIKS BADGE REQUEST FORM!

...and once I'm back from PAX, I'm going to start sending them out by post. I'll keep your info private, and destroy it once I've mailed you your patch.

I'll post again about the Project before I leave and after I return from PAX, just to make everyone gets the message.

Thanks for being awesome, guys. I look forward to the future of the Oosiks!

(Special thanks to @TOGSolid for letting me use the death's head art. This wouldn't have gotten far without that!)

@Nips, those are awesome! That badge would look great on my nerd bag :D Do you ship to Europe? I'd be happy to pay for shipping if that's a concern.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    does somebody who's driven a CPT-K2 and some jaegers want to school me on some of the finer points of their differences? I'm having a hard time making a K2 build that I don't think would be better or more versatile on a JM6-S or a fireband

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Haven't driven a K2, but the most massive difference between it and Jagers is that Jagers mount all their ballistics in the arms. This means Jagers get vastly better pitch angles for firing those ballistic weapons, so fighting at different elevations isn't a problem. Jagers have taller profiles that let them fire their arms weapons over hilltops easily, but also can easily be hit in the side torsos; you generally won't lose much in sporting an XL in a K2, because your CT, despite the shorter profile, almost always goes first in a Catapult.

K2s mostly get used now for energy-heavy builds with some ballistics thrown in sometimes, but the limited traversal of the torso (both pitch and yaw) gives them severe combat problems against people jumpjetting or on much higher/lower terrain. A Jager with 2 AC10s is going to keep plugging a jumpjetting Highlander with no problem, but a K2 is going to be stuck waiting until the landing. And if you end up fighting from the top of/bottom of hills, your ballistic slots are likely to be useless against anything at the top or bottom of the hill. May not seem like much, but when varied terrain is in play, something with arm weapons can nullify a large portion of your armament if it's all in the torso.

Should probably be able to do just fine with, say, dual LL and dual PPC. I'd say quad LL, but I think PGI got stupid there and put the "safe" limit on them at 3 LLs.

Ninja Snarl P on
    does somebody who's driven a CPT-K2 and some jaegers want to school me on some of the finer points of their differences? I'm having a hard time making a K2 build that I don't think would be better or more versatile on a JM6-S or a fireband

Jagers have their ballistics points in the arms - the K2 has them in the torso. Likewise, the K2 has two of its energy hardpoints in the arms, with its ballistics in the torso.
    Jagers have 2 more total hardpoints, which means you can theoretically fit more weapons - but they have the same tonnage, meaning you'll have to compromise elsewhere.
    Max engine sizes are the same (315), except on the Firebrand (340), but that one's an exception anyway.
    Most importantly, Jagers have huge and easy to hit side torsos, penalizing you for using XLs, whereas the K2 and Catapults in general have tiny STs. But huge cockpits.
    The high position of the arm hardpoints means that they are both great for hit-and-fade maneuvers at terrain crests.

In the end I suppose it comes down to:
    1. whether you want to run an XL or not. STDs are a waste of tonnage on Cats, but a big contributor to survivability in Jagers.
    2. To a lesser degree: is your primary weapon Energy or Ballistic?

Should probably be able to do just fine with, say, dual LL and dual PPC. I'd say quad LL, but I think PGI got stupid there and put the "safe" limit on them at 3 LLs.

If by 3 you mean 2, yeah. Still so sad the Quadapult got a totally uncalled-for nerf :-/

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Ugh, seriously? 2 LLs is the limit? I just don't even see the point in that, other than PGI panic-nerfing weapons. There's zero damn reason to put the LL penalty cap at anything less than four, because doing well with four LLs is a damned sight more challenging than doing well with quad PPCs when they were a thing, and is definitely a lot more of a challenge than 2x PPC + gauss.

Ninja Snarl P on
    Right now I'm using a 2xPPA/2xLLa loadout on my K2; I kinda want to go to ERPPCs but it's heat is already kind of prohibitive (I was using quad LLs but... yeah.) I was just looking at it vs a jaeger and realized that jaegers seem a lot more verstatile in terms of hardpoints and have a similar high-firing setup.

and I guess if you say jaegers' side torso is harder to hit I believe you, but it already feels like that's how the K2 (with an XL engine) goes down 90% of the time. You'd think the big arms would protect it but it doesn't really seem like they do. I also practically never get my cockpit shot off, which seems weird.

NREqxl5.jpg
    Jagers have better non-energy hardpoints than the K2, but weaker energy hardpoints. All Jager energy hardpoints are low on the torso, so you get limited traversal, whereas the K2 gets a couple arm-mounted energy points.

I'd say the Jager is hands-down a better direct-combat mech because they can spread damage easier due to a lack of a hugely prominent CT and being able to have arm-mounted low-profile ballistic weapons, but the K2 is far from useless, or even weak.

• joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    So im on the train after a really shitty work training day and there is patches inbound? What's new?

joshua1 wrote: »
    So im on the train after a really shitty work training day and there is patches inbound? What's new?

Third person view, slight MG nerf, Streak and LBX and UAC5 buffs, lava is hotter, C-Bill Kintaros, Medium mech agility buffs.

Pretty cool. Any notes on how the agility buff works?

Pretty cool. Any notes on how the agility buff works?

Ever wanted to be able to torso twist far enough to look at your own ass in a Hunchback? Well now you can!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Remember guys: 8pm eastern tonight we're gonna cram into vent and try to get two 12mans to synch drop. We're exploring the effects of as many MG's as possible being fired simultaneously.

People able to record the shenanigans would be much appreciated

3basnids3lf9.jpg

I've always wanted to look inside my own anus.

I mean, in a mech.

Also, looking at the locust, you guys think that forward cannon/laser pod has vertical movement when aiming? like an arm... but.... on its nose?

aaaaaaand, how them UAC-10x's doing? I would love them to be beefed up, but slow, machine guns.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Lot's of fun in mechs last night, especially those with ballistic hardpoints: KABLAM KABLAM!

Now I just really really want HSR to be fixed. Toooooo many shots catching mechs full in the face with and LB20-X only for them to shrug it off with no damage done.

aaaaaaand, how them UAC-10x's doing? I would love them to be beefed up, but slow, machine guns.

I think you may be conflating two different weapons and now I'm sad that we don't get a UAC10X

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Oh, now I am sad too!

Oh, and the Murdermets should be renamed to the Genocidemets. It's so good I felt dirty just using it. I have a feeling we're gonna see a bunch of them wandering around the battlefield.

Campy wrote: »
    Oh, and the Murdermets should be renamed to the Genocidemets. It's so good I felt dirty just using it. I have a feeling we're gonna see a bunch of them wandering around the battlefield.

Could you linky please? Probably going to buy a Muromets for my next hero when I gets my paycheck.

I haven't got a link, but I run mine with 3 UAC5s (8 tonnes of ammo) and the biggest XL I can cram in there (I run the 300 or the 320, can't remember which). You won't need any extra heatsinks because it's ridiculously cool already. Some run it with 3 ML, but I prefer to go fast and have lots of dakka :D.

@Kusmeroglu

Congratulations, Mechwarrior Petra,
    You're moving on up.
    The dropship's waiting
    To pick you up

You're moving on up.
    We're all proud of you,
    But we realize

The dropship's waiting
    Can stress anyone out.
    Your Oosik Brothers are here,

To pick you up,
    If you stumble, or feel overwhelmed.
    Now get up there, and get 'em good!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

I just want to say how proud of myself I am for changing a contraction to a possessive through context.

/poetrynerd

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »
    @Nips, those are awesome! That badge would look great on my nerd bag :D Do you ship to Europe? I'd be happy to pay for shipping if that's a concern.

Kash, my man, I have no qualms about spending copious pennies/pence/pennyfarthings to make these things fly/boat/transubstantiate across the Atlantic. You wants it, you gets it. :)

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no

Kash, my man, I have no qualms about spending copious pennies/pence/pennyfarthings to make these things fly/boat/transubstantiate across the Atlantic. You wants it, you gets it. :)

Awwwww yeeeaaahhh. I didn't want to ask out of politeness, but our resident brusque German appears to have done it for me :p. One badge to jolly ol' blighty please!

Praise be Nips! Awesome :)

@Nips had himself a plan to hatch
    He'd whip up a nice Oosik patch
    "Would they cross the Atlantic?!"
    Kash and Campy were frantic-
    They were both in the mindset to snatch

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Found out today that MYW-IFE is currently being piloted by a boy :D:D

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
    Awwwww

3basnids3lf9.jpg

May I suggest a name?

Have you considered Dragon?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Elbasunu wrote: »

Get the free birther!

• HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »

Ilya Muromets Elbasunu shall be the boys name. It has been decreed.

Watch out when he ejects from his ride, it gets a bit messy.

kx3klFE.png