As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PHALLA]mon: Red/Blue Edition - Finale: Champ retains the title! (Gizzy Victory)

• MillMill Registered User regular
    Options.

Battle Royal

no masoned groups. No communication over PM. Two votes, so the thread isn't completely dead. Red vote does not outright kill, but deals 2 damage and causes the target's active pokemon to flinch (essentially roleblocks them for the night). Green vote heals for 3 hp and at the end of the round the target's active pokemon will not have any negative status effects (burned, frozen, paralyzed, poison, sleeping or confused). This also might weaken BNP BS a little, but I'm not sure there is a solution for that.

All players have a full heal that removes all negative status effects, but they can't attack if they use it (maybe a CD). All players have access to a berry, heals 5hp, can be carried by a pokemon to ensure they can also attack, but any damage the pokemon holding it takes, will result in the berry being used (even if it's only 1hp). All players also have access to max potion that heals one pokemon to full, but doesn't remove negative status effects and prevents the player from attacking. Depending on how much control players have determines if there are any healing moves. If people can't pick pokemon, then don't have any healing moves. If people can pick both pokemon, healing moves should be weak, but strong enough to reward good players.

Simplest Regular Phalla

Champ is an SK.

Team Rocket are the mafia.

Elite 4 aren't masoned, but are specials. I wouldn't bother with alignment seering, just go with action seers. Any critical roles that can't be covered by the E4, could be covered by other village roles. I probably wouldn't run with a role block for either the village (sucks as village when you aren't networked because you worry about fucking over the village) and a mixed bag for the mafia (can be pretty powerful or can suck if it can land on them or makes it easy to ID them and it tends to suck for the people getting hit buy it). On the fence with the village busdrive (mafia one's are bad, but village side aren't much better). This certainly has the set up where you could run with more "specials," if you cut the OP special roles like alignment seer (which is more fun for the village and honestly, the powerful specials roles aren't always fun either since if you fuck up, you really hurt the village).

Other tidbits

Don't even need to penalize hit squads. Just run with the formula I suggested. Upside to people roaming alone is that damage doesn't ramp up quickly. Downside to people roaming together is that damage will ramp up fast. Just make sure that hit squad deaths are denoted in black or some other color (should make clear in OP that that color is meaningless for determining people's alignments) regardless of who was in the squad.

You could make things more complicated by running with something that I suggested earlier. Turn it into a faction game, where different village teams are competing. If you run with a neutral, definitely make sure they are interesting (having the highest HP total could be an awesome goal for a neutral, not only must survival be achieved, but done in a way that forces some effort on the neutrals parts and would force them to interact with others).

• NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Good game Matev

I appreciated the way you let me send you a thousand pms changing my name

• MillMill Registered User regular
    Oh, before I forget. Moves that cost HP to use or deal recoil damage need to be much better than moves that don't have any drawbacks that result in lost HP. Either that or make it some pokemon with moves that result in lost HP, also have a means to recover HP when they aren't hurting themselves intentionally.

• CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    NeoToma wrote: »
    OH NO

How could I lose with the powerhouse team of Parasect and Venonat!

I had such high hopes for my uber Koffing/Venonat team myself. TBH some of us basically didn't have a chance at a full victory at all. Some way of adding to your stable would have been a nice addition, but I can understand why you wouldn't want to take on a beast of that magnitude. Sad I didn't really get to play along though.

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    I thought about adding an action to try and pull a Pokemon from your PC, but it felt like it would've been distracting and a mixed bag at best.

Honestly, the Pokemon totals were about right.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Well, still seems Pokemon phallas are a weak spot in my side. I still have no idea where the blazes that Day 2 bandwagon came from. I mean, good grief, I roll a Mew and never get a chance to use it? Sheesh...

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
    I liked the hit squads. Shitr got real Hunger Games, real fast.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Gotta say, it's pretty rough to have a victory condition where another player has to survive and you don't know who that player is, especially when you're armed with a kill.

Overall it was a fun game and Matev clearly put a ton of work into it, but the village had access to way too much information.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Mewtwo should have been able to take more hits. Being day 1d as an SK really shouldn't happen unless you are voted out.

Also, this is the 3rd game out of the last 4 I've been day 1d. I'm sad about this.

• AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    I really expected 2 mafias and the champ as a SK.

Did I not survive until the end Matev? Shouldn't I get partial win as well?

Gizzy, I'm the one who smacked you for 10 that night.

• MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    I don't know why everyone keeps saying that "the village" was overpowered/had too much information.

There was no village. It was the mafia vs. a mason group/unmasoned champion, and 35 underpowered SKs. Even the survival "partial victory" that seemed to occur at the end couldn't have been known to exist from the role PMs.

Getting a "masoned" kill announcement doesn't mean anything because we literally could not win with each other, or anyone else. It was just like getting a message that all your kill-squad buddies were also SKs, and so maybe slightly less of a threat to you than the masoned groups.

I'll admit that after getting hit by 8 attacks the first night, I lost interest in the game, viewing victory as an impossibility. Still, the feat was admirable, and with a few tweaks could be a really outstanding game. Thanks for running, Matev.

If you don't want to call them the village, you could alternatively say that the 80% of players who had an objective to take out the mafia received far too much information that enabled them to effectively take out the mafia.

• MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    That's simplifying the game way too much. They have an objective to take out the mafia, and also the objective of beating the other 39 players.

For any individual villager, take a look at two overlaps between them and the mafia: One being the players that both groups wanted to kill, and the other being the players that there was some conflict over. One of those groups had 39 people in it, and one has 11.

MrTLicious wrote: »
    That's simplifying the game way too much. They have an objective to take out the mafia, and also the objective of beating the other 39 players.

Well, yes, but a) only one of those objectives is achievable for most players, and b) one of those objectives requires completing the other first... so which one do you think most players are likely to pursue?

The final three nights were a slaughter for the mafia (out of ~8 deaths, 6 were mafia), primarily because the non-mafia did consider themselves a village and had a relatively huge amount of information to work with.

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Thanks for running, Matev.

I have to admit, being a mafia under these conditions wasn't a ton of fun, however. Especially when I got curbstomped night one and had a single, underpowered pokemon to play out the rest of the game with.

And god damn could we not kill anyone with our attacks. The whole game felt like us crawling uphill against a rockslide. Then we somehow got a series of two-three nights in a row with no casualties and it felt like we had a chance, then boom and it's over.

Not sure how I feel about this one, at all. But always grateful there are people like Matev willing to run for us.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    -Congratulations, Gizzy! Getting the network head to trust you enough to not want to betray you at the end was exactly what you needed to do. They had the means to kill you but held their fire, so you should be proud of this win.

-Thank you for running this game, Matev. It had a few flaws, but overall was really fun for the few days I was alive. Has anyone pointed out how fantastic your narrations are? Anyways, keep the games coming. I know that I am going to make sure to not miss your next game.

-I was highly skeptical of the elite four's claim, since i was in contact with the Champ at the time, and i couldn't believe that a group intended to protect a target had no idea who the target was. One of my last messages to draygo was letting him know that the champion had not heard from e4 at all (the other was that assuran targeted koan really early). Being e4 was probably the toughest spot to be in.

-I was sad that folks killed me so early, especially after I saw that i was correct on three of the mafia. Plus it was on my birthday, which is probably some minor phalla law that rarely comes up.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    The day the village collectively stopped playing to their full win condition was really the day we lost.

Which is why if you look back through the thread there are a bunch of mafia pushing the idea of a full-con victory for each villager. Because once people stopped caring about the full win, there was just too much info and violence out there for us to handle.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    The day the village collectively stopped playing to their full win condition was really the day we lost.

Which is why if you look back through the thread there are a bunch of mafia pushing the idea of a full-con victory for each villager. Because once people stopped caring about the full win, there was just too much info and violence out there for us to handle.

I agree with this. The mafia definitely needed more firepower. Balancing around the 'only one villager can win' thing is pretty tough, because its so swingy, depending on village behavior. My guess is that mafia was balanced under the assumption that rampant friendly fire would be a thing, so you are exactly right.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • vertrouevertroue I am Female Totes Not a SithRegistered User regular
    Ha I knew Gizzy was the champ!
    totally late saying that but just now got a chance to log in.

Blood and Fire
    From the Desk of Darth Vertroue Diplomat to the USA.
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Lord knows if I'd made it past day 1, the theoretical Mew Two-included Grouphug gang I was trying to assemble would have caused some friendly-fire problems.

Dear everyone: stop killing me early me when I come up village. I don't get to play village because you guys only let me live when I'm mafia for some strange reason. Thanks.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    At final narration I felt like a cylon who just realized they were a cylon

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
    Also IRL I have been singing Pokemon theme song nonstop the whole game- sometimes without really thinking about it

Thanks Matev for running! I don't think I'd have the guts to run a main without bribing ZH to cohost it

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    The last three days I felt like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOK6mE7sdvs

• JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Lord knows if I'd made it past day 1, the theoretical Mew Two-included Grouphug gang I was trying to assemble would have caused some friendly-fire problems.

Dear everyone: stop killing me early me when I come up village. I don't get to play village because you guys only let me live when I'm mafia for some strange reason. Thanks.

True story, we were going to let you live just for that reason. But then you told someone you were a Gym Leader and by George we had to get those pokemon!

• Buddha73Buddha73 Registered User regular
    Langly had told me and others two days ago that gizzy was the champ, but we wanted the votes if possible to kill the lone Mafia and our hit squad take the champ out. What we didn't know was draygo was protecting gizzy. So sad...but congrats to gizzy, the champ! And thanks to @Matev for running this. Loved the theme!

I was surprised that hit squad method would be a thing bc Langly knew how much HP I had. I didn't report any damage .. Bc I didn't take any damage.

Well hit squad method might have worked had you started a day earlier

• AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Had I not missed 3 consecutive nights on attacks due to targeting the vote winner or the vig target, I might have been able to level up Ponyta to level 3. The vote times I logged off with my attack not on the vote winner, only to come back in the morning and find my target got bandwagoned.

It was, however, pretty comical.

I threw my lot in with Langly at the end because I knew I couldn't be champion and I figured he deserved it for rallying the village. Plus, I like his style of village leadership more than Draygo's style, even though they are perfectly valid.

I'd prefer to have villagers come to me with info if they are village and I'm village head rather than browbeating and threatening. Carrot, rather than stick.

Assuran on
  • DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    Despite not being around for most of it I had some fun

thanks for running Matev, it must have been pretty hectic on your end.

Everyone keeps saying they were threatened - but isn't it a given whether or not it's said out loud that if you don't report in to the network you're going to be targeted?

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    -Team Rocket only had 1 Ekans and Koffing, but not Meowth, the one of which was given to poor kime . Sorry you didn't get a chance to play more! T_T

I know, I was super sad to die so soon! Thanks for running though :)

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    JPants wrote: »

True story, we were going to let you live just for that reason. But then you told someone you were a Gym Leader and by George we had to get those pokemon!

Yeah, I'd be mad at schuss but the Day 1 voting put both me and kime in a bind as far as trying to justify our survival. I was annoyed mostly because my roleblock, though theoretically useless, was also a poke-lock per clarification, and I could've forced someone to keep a thing in play to be beat up with it, which would've been pretty fun.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Gizzy wrote: »
    Everyone keeps saying they were threatened - but isn't it a given whether or not it's said out loud that if you don't report in to the network you're going to be targeted?

there is a reason people were telling me their information willingly without me even asking for certain details and draygo was pulling teeth.

Yeah, I'd be mad at schuss but the Day 1 voting put both me and kime in a bind as far as trying to justify our survival. I was annoyed mostly because my roleblock, though theoretically useless, was also a poke-lock per clarification, and I could've forced someone to keep a thing in play to be beat up with it, which would've been pretty fun.

that's actually a useful roleblock, yeah. that's a neat idea.

Langly wrote: »

that's actually a useful roleblock, yeah. that's a neat idea.

Yeah. My initial reaction was "Well, this is useless," but then I realized it replaced my pokemon attack for the turn and was like "Well, okay, what does it do to the other guy?" and got an answer I was actually enthusiastic about.

Then I got jerkwagoned, revealed to GG, premium, and schuss, and got burned because schuss was mafia. :(

kshu0oba7xnr.png

I was going to save you, bro! Until later, of course.

Yeah. What might have been is sweet. S'cool.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Ok, since I'm now awake at this God Awful time of the day I thought I drop more about Mewtwo:

Stats:
    mewtwoattacksci.gif

You are Mewtwo, the Ultimate Pokemon! After escaping from a Team Rocket laboratory, you came to the conclusion that people are inferior to Pokemon, and that all Pokemon are inferior to you. You have come to this tournament to reveal your existence to the world, establish your superiority over the "strongest" trainers and their Pokemon, and begin your dominion. You will not rest until all bow to you.

You are a Psychic Pokemon and have the following moves:

Psycho Cut: 4 Psychic Damage, 50% chance to do double damage
    AND
    Shadow Ball: Deal 4 Ghost Damage, 50% Chance to for next attack against the target to do double damage
    AND
    Recover: Recover 2 Health
    AND
    Barrier: Take Half Damage from all attacks this round (Usable only every other round)

Additionally, when you help to defeat a Pokemon, you take control of it, gaining it's powers. (Any non-redundant moves/powers the Pokemon had when it was defeated are added to your arsenal)

Goals

-Defeat all trainers and their Pokemon.

HP: 48

So I didn't realized until I was driving home this morning but Mewtwo was underpowered compared to the rest of the players. While everyone else had two health bars, Mewtwo had one big one. So if 50 damage was thrown my way in one night, I would have died. But if 50 damage had been thrown towards anyone else, they would have lost one Pokemon and been kicking the next day since extra damage didn't splash into the trainer's other Pokemon. I wasn't really an SK, I was a glass cannon.

But its hard to balance these games I guess so, @Matev, I would have let Mewtwo be able to use two moves the same night, if you wanted to keep the one health bar thing. I know its not the way the game does it, but it would have made Mewtwo last longer if he could use Barrier and do an attack the same night.

• DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    That's the gist of what I'm hearing, and apparently less specials.

So, if I'd made this just as straight village vs. mafia, and made the champion a straight up SK (as was suggested to me in a private chat a couple nights ago) would that have gone over better?

I also think if the E4's objective was to protect the champion, you should have at least told E4 who the champion was. And center several abilities in the E4 that would allow them to guard the champion, I would recommend against giving the E4 a kill outside of just using pokemon to take someone out.

Ok, since I'm now awake at this God Awful time of the day I thought I drop more about Mewtwo:

Stats:
    mewtwoattacksci.gif

You are Mewtwo, the Ultimate Pokemon! After escaping from a Team Rocket laboratory, you came to the conclusion that people are inferior to Pokemon, and that all Pokemon are inferior to you. You have come to this tournament to reveal your existence to the world, establish your superiority over the "strongest" trainers and their Pokemon, and begin your dominion. You will not rest until all bow to you.

You are a Psychic Pokemon and have the following moves:

Psycho Cut: 4 Psychic Damage, 50% chance to do double damage
    AND
    Shadow Ball: Deal 4 Ghost Damage, 50% Chance to for next attack against the target to do double damage
    AND
    Recover: Recover 2 Health
    AND
    Barrier: Take Half Damage from all attacks this round (Usable only every other round)

Additionally, when you help to defeat a Pokemon, you take control of it, gaining it's powers. (Any non-redundant moves/powers the Pokemon had when it was defeated are added to your arsenal)

Goals

-Defeat all trainers and their Pokemon.

HP: 48

So I didn't realized until I was driving home this morning but Mewtwo was underpowered compared to the rest of the players. While everyone else had two health bars, Mewtwo had one big one. So if 50 damage was thrown my way in one night, I would have died. But if 50 damage had been thrown towards anyone else, they would have lost one Pokemon and been kicking the next day since extra damage didn't splash into the trainer's other Pokemon. I wasn't really an SK, I was a glass cannon.

But its hard to balance these games I guess so, @Matev, I would have let Mewtwo be able to use two moves the same night, if you wanted to keep the one health bar thing. I know its not the way the game does it, but it would have made Mewtwo last longer if he could use Barrier and do an attack the same night.

Neither of my pokes at their most evolved state had more than 15 hp, I think you were okay.