As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My artwork

SeanOliSeanOli Registered User regular
edited August 2013 in Artist's Corner
Hope you like it and any feedback at all will be gratefully accepted!

SeanOli on

• Options
    Oh wait. I don't know how to post my images ahah! Any help?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2013
    You need to host your images on an external site. If you don't have a personal repository, then try imgur.com , photobucket.com or imageshack.us for free image hosting (various levels of irritation associated with these, I prefer imgur).

Once you have a URL for your image, just put it between image tags like so (without the spaces). Or click the little photo button above your post and paste in the url and the forum will do it for you.

[ img ] urlgoeshere[/ img]

tynic on
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Thank you Tynic, just dropped one of my latest pieces from my Imgur account on here.

Edit: Using BBCode it didn't wanna seem to load over. That or the admin didn't accept my work?

SeanOli on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    ....Did you? You still seem to be having some trouble. Once you upload them to imgur you still need to post the URLs over here.

• Options
    Iruka wrote: »
    ....Did you? You still seem to be having some trouble. Once you upload them to imgur you still need to post the URLs over here.

Yep. I added the bbcode link for the chosen images, they came up in the preview page but then said that the picture had to be accepted by a moderator or something? The files are fairly large so I don't know whether that is a contributing factor?

• Options
    Hopefully this one works now. Used Linked BBCode, so I'm trying just standard BBCode now? 8ckfhQi.jpg

• Options
    Guess it worked! Wahoo! Linkdump!
    peTrx2G.jpg
    YvFZpY9.jpg
    4468lN1.jpg
    SDjWfe8.jpg
    5kz6njn.jpg
    lCeKL0z.jpg

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Gradients really aren't your friend, in a lot of these. The mix between the digital and traditional isn't quite melding. Do you have a tablet? How much do you know about Photoshop?

What sort of goals do you have, as an artist? Are you looking to get into editorial illustration, or anything like that? The basic stricture of the drawings themselves aren't bad, the strokes can be a little messy and scratchy in places like the hair on the portraits, but it looks controlled on the dragon.

So, what are you pushing yourself to do? What artists do you admire?

• Options
    Iruka wrote: »
    Gradients really aren't your friend, in a lot of these. The mix between the digital and traditional isn't quite melding. Do you have a tablet? How much do you know about Photoshop?

What sort of goals do you have, as an artist? Are you looking to get into editorial illustration, or anything like that? The basic stricture of the drawings themselves aren't bad, the strokes can be a little messy and scratchy in places like the hair on the portraits, but it looks controlled on the dragon.

So, what are you pushing yourself to do? What artists do you admire?

I do have a tablet but I am not too well versed in Photoshop. I use manga studio for practice, but I feel so much more comfortable with pen and ink.
    I already work for a writer on a series of books in homage to the horror series, but I don't feel comfortable uploading that work online without his consent. I would like to get a foothold into any illustration based job really.
    Yeah with the hair, I had to up the contrast and brightness on my scanned pictures, which made the hair look really tacked on, the original pencil work was much more refined and controlled, in all honesty I got so impaitent with the whole picture, I begin to doubt myself and make mistakes so I try and blitz through to avoid as much collateral damage as possible.
    I feel Michonne was very strong, but looking at it in max resolution I can see how weak the line depth was and how lots of the rendering/crosshatching looks sub par.

I am pushing myself to become a much better artist constantly aswell as adapting and possibly going back into education with a goal of having a studio/ gallery and my own graphic novels being published in the future. As for artists that I adore, I would have to say my biggest inspiration currently is Nicolas DeLort http://blog.nicolasdelort.com/ His work just is so fantasticly crisp and refined! Then the usual suspects, Tony Moore, Geoff Johns, Doug Manke and that artist on youtube who does amazing marker work. I fail to recall her name, but will try and edit this later on!

• Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    That dragon drawing looks really great! I agree with Iruka, though, that for the most part the digital colors are taking away from your pieces. It looks like you're having trouble isolating your line work in photoshop; maybe try one of the methods listed here for cleaner results: http://www.tomrichmond.com/blog/2008/06/06/new-photoshop-line-art-trick/.
    Maybe try backing off of using gradients for a little bit, and instead use brushes at less than 100% opacity for more control over that effect.

• Options
    lyrium wrote: »
    That dragon drawing looks really great! I agree with Iruka, though, that for the most part the digital colors are taking away from your pieces. It looks like you're having trouble isolating your line work in photoshop; maybe try one of the methods listed here for cleaner results: http://www.tomrichmond.com/blog/2008/06/06/new-photoshop-line-art-trick/.
    Maybe try backing off of using gradients for a little bit, and instead use brushes at less than 100% opacity for more control over that effect.

Thank you very much, but yeah, is it worth uploading all the lineworks aswell? Most of the time I just add some colour, because I am most comfortable in b&w. I really wanna actually work on my photoshop/illustrator skills.

• Options
    brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    Really enjoying the stuff! Welcome to the forums!

I will agree that the mix media is working against you. If you prefer black and white then just own it, there is nothing wrong with a B&W composition but adding color just to add it will almost always look tacked on. Some of my favorite artist are black and white only (McBess, Nate Van Dyke).

I love Illustrator for linework and black and white stuff but lean a bit more towards Photoshop for digital paint and color. Hope to see more!

• Options
    Really enjoying the stuff! Welcome to the forums!

I will agree that the mix media is working against you. If you prefer black and white then just own it, there is nothing wrong with a B&W composition but adding color just to add it will almost always look tacked on. Some of my favorite artist are black and white only (McBess, Nate Van Dyke).

I love Illustrator for linework and black and white stuff but lean a bit more towards Photoshop for digital paint and color. Hope to see more!

Thank you so much! Yeah, I have had a few days to think it over, and I oughta stick to what I am good at, colour has never been my friend, prefer making tone and texture with block black and hatching, think I will do a few pieces over the weekend and post the results, thank you so much for all the feedback though guys!