As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Solforge: Set 3 Secrets of Solis Out Now!

SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
edited August 2014 in Games and Technology
solforge-logo.jpg

Solforge is a Digital CCG from the makers of the popular board game ascension and the creator of Magic Richard Garfield. I've demoed this game for Stoneblade at PAX East multiple times now. They're a great group of people.

I've been following it since just after their Kickstarter ended, however now they're in open beta. I think it's worth a shot if you're looking for something to occupy your Digital CCG interests.

Resources:

First thing's first, get 5 free packs with this code (SCG FREE PACKS) or (scg_free_packs) Solforgegame.com/redeem

The Actual Game site. New accounts can only be made through the game right now due to forum spam.

http://solforgegame.com

Here's Ghox's Socks a competitive Solforge team. This is a link to their new player guide which is a must read for anyone new to the game. You can find other links on their site including a great draft guide.

http://www.ghoxssocks.com/2014/05/konan-new-player-guide/

Watching players stream through twitch is a great way to pick up the game and strategies. Also they tend to give away free stuff.

http://www.twitch.tv/search?query=solforge#stq=solforge&stp=1

The Meta: Here's a list of major current decks in the meta, there's some slight variations but it's most of them for reference.

Alloyin

Alloyin/Nekrium Cercee & The Autobots

3 Zimus, The Undying
3 Brightsteel Sentinel
3 Brightsteel Gargoyle
3 Cercee, Hand of Varna
3 Ebonskul Knightl
3 Alloyin Strategist
3 Battle Technician
2 Oreian Justicar
2 Matrix Warden
2 Grimgaunt Devourer
3 Epidemic

Alloyin/Uterra Flex

3 Brightsteel Sentinel
3 Brightsteel Gargoyle
3 Alloyin Strategist
3 Thundersaur
3 Oros, Deepwood's Chosen
3 Weirwood Patriach
2 Oreian Justicar
2 Battle Techtician
1 Echowisp
3 Ferocious Roar
3 Warmonger Mod
1 Jet Pack

Alloyin/Uterra Armour Knights

3 Weirwood Patriarch
2 Brightsteel Gargoyle
3 Brightsteel Sentinel
2 Matrix Warden
3 Oreian Justicar
3 Thundersaur
3 Arcflight Squadron
2 Vault Blockade
3 Aegis Knight
3 Ferocious Roar
3 Jet Pack

Alloyin/Nekrium Necrominds

3 Drix, the Mindwelder
3 Ghox, Metamind Paragon
3 Ironmind Acolyte
3 Metamind Adept
3 Metamind Overseer
3 Oreian Justicar
2 Cercee, Hand of Varna
1 Cull the Weak
3 Ebonskull Knight
3 Epidemic
3 Shallow Grave

Nekrium

Nekrium/Uterra Zombies

3 Zimus the Undying
3 Xrath, Dreadknight of Varna
3 Darkshaper Savant
2 Corpulent Shambler
3 Oros, Deepwood’s Chosen
2 Grimgaunt Predator
1 Ebonskull Knight
3 Xrath’s Will
3 Vyric’s Embrace
3 Epidemic
2 Group Meal
2 Botanimate

Nekrium/Tempys Removal

2 Cercee, Hand of Varna
2 Doomwing, Dire Drake
2 Ebonskull Knight
2 Grimgaunt Predator
3 Borean Mystic
1 Byzerak Spitemage
3 Cindersmoke Wyvern
3 Emberwind Evoker
2 Everflame Phoenix
1 Flame Lance
2 Storm Bringer
1 Windcaller Shaman
1 Cull the Weak
1 Tremorcharge
2 Group Meal
2 Epidemic

Tempys

Tempys/Nekrium Invoker

3 Ebonskull Knight
3 Zimus, the Undying
3 Flamebreak Invoker
3 Glaceus, Tundra Tyrant
3 Scorchmane Dragon
3 Static Shock
2 Uranti Bolt
2 Glacial Crush
2 Lightning Spark
2 Frozen Solid
2 Flame Lance
2 Epidemic

Tempys/Uterra Yeti's

2 Everflame Phoenix
1 Rageborn Hellion
3 Uranti Icemage
3 Uranti Warlord
3 Wallbreaker Yeti
2 Oros, Deepwood's Chosen
1 Solstice Reveler
3 Thundersaur
3 Weirwood Patriarch
3 Glacial Crush
3 Uranti Bolt
3 Ferocious Roar

Tempys/Uterra Cindersmoke Pump

3 Agamemnon
3 Cindersmoke Wyvern
2 Everflame Phoenix
2 Flame Lance
3 Uranti Warlord
2 Wallbreaker Yeti
2 Windcaller Shaman
2 Echowisp
3 Ferocious Roar
2 Shimmerfang Serpent
1 Solstice Reveler
2 Thundersaur
3 Weirwood Patriarch

Tempys Burn

3 Flamebreak Invoker
3 Master of Elements
3 Flameshaper Savant
3 Static Shock
1 Aerial Surge
3 Flame Lance
3 Frozen Solid
3 Uranti Bolt
2 Conflagarate
2 Glacial Crush
3 Lightning Spark
1 Primordial Slam

Uterra

Uterra/Nekrium Nuada

3 Tarsus Deathweaver
3 Weirwood Patriarch
3 Stygian Lotus
3 Nuada, Faith's Flourish
2 Chrogias
2 Leafkin Progenitor
3 Scatterspore Eidolon
3 Epidemic
2 Shallow Grave
3 Ferocious Roar
3 Varna's Pact

Uttera/Nekrium Good Stuff

3 Thundersaur
3 Oros, Deppwood's Chosen
3 Grimgaunt Devourer
3 Cerdee, Hand of Varna
3 Weirwood Patriach
2 Stygian Lotus
3 Ferocious Roar
3 Epidemic
3 Ebonskull Knight
2 Dreadbolt
2 Cull The Weak

Rogue Decks

Uterra/Tempys Rush

3 Storm Caller
3 Everflame Pheonix
3 Shardplate Mutant
3 Tanglesprout
3 Ashurian Brawler
3 Korok, Khan of Kadras
3 Rageborn Hellion
3 Flame Lance
3 Ferocious Roar
3 Twinstrengh

Uterra/Nekrium Life

3 Oros, Deepwood's Chosen
3 Crypt Conjurer
3 Runebark Gaurdian
3 Glowstride Stag
1 Arboris, Grove Dragon
3 Vyric's Embrace
3 Epidemic
2 Dreadbolt
2 Cull The Weak
2 Botanimate
3 Ferocious Roar
2 Varana's Pact

Snarfmaster on

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I had backed this for a small amount and to be honest I wasn't sure in the previous beta if it was worth it.

Now that more cards are released it has me considering buying a tablet just to play this (well and hearthstone eventually). Although it will be some time because there are known bugs for that version

Only.complaint is the servers currently. Sincerely hope they fix that shit before the official release

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Hearthstone has taken up literally all of my free time this week. I don't need this.

But I'm downloading now. D:

• Options
    On the plus side solforge appears to be more generous with f2p rewards than the alternatives. According to their forums it would add up to roughly a free draft a week if you can resist opening the packs.

That being said things are probably still up in the air

• Options
    edited August 2013
    I actually made a Free 2 play account I've been using with the same name as my PA forum handle so I can see what it's like to play without any starting bonus. The thing I like most about it is that while yes there you're at a disadvantage against cohesive decks from people with lots of cards, there is a ton of planning and skill in playing for future hands and board position.

There's a good amount of the mechanics that aren't really discussed in their tutorial which once you learn them help everything come together.

Snarfmaster on
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    I've been playing it since open beta and its been fun, it is definitely still a beta though. It would be nice if they had a running combat log and chat, as well surface all the ways to earn silver because it doesn't tell you at all that in addition to the login bonus you get silver for the first win of the day and after 3 online matches.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    So, there doesn't seem to actually be a way to matchmake against people in a non-asynchronous game mode? There's a "timer" mode that gives you a 30 minute turn clock, which may as well be 30 years, and another mode with no timer at all.

• Options
    A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    Made an account to test out the game, first game against a regular person, and he is just sitting there. He can kill me as soon as he hits the battle button, but he chooses not to.

He's trying to troll me? By... not winning? I don't get it.

Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • Options
    There is a good amount of server instability/slowness. Your opponent may not be trolling and instead they disconnected or it hasn't registered an action.

Or they could simply be trolling

• Options
    Part of the issues with still being in beta are game engine and connectivity ones. There's been a few games where I think my opponent is doing nothing. So I exit out to the main menu and it actually tells me it's my turn.

@ultimakay they do have a game log, it's under the cog thing on the bottom left of the play area.

The timer mode is like a chess timer, most of the time I've found people don't abuse it.

One of the nice things is at this point is that win/loss records don't really matter while people learn the game and accrue cards. So if your opponent is taking 3 minutes to taking forever to take his turn you can just say screw it and surrender. I'd be less likely to do that if there's more on the line though.

• Options
    Viktor WaltersViktor Walters Registered User regular
    I had been waiting for someone to make a post about this! I've been on since it got on Steam. It's fairly interesting, with the daily awards and whatnot. I really like Ascension, so I hope this game comes into its own soon.

My name on it is Sarck if anyone wants to hit me up. I can't wait until trading becomes a thing on it, personally.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm hoping to figure out a way to convert my kickstarter into anything else, either cash, Hex cards, or... really anything else.

It's not a bad free to play game, but I was envisioning something else when I kicked money in on it.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    It's not a bad free to play game, but I was envisioning something else when I kicked money in on it.

I dunno if it was any different before it was "Early Access" on Steam, but the first version on Steam was muuuch different than this one, in terms of how the cards interacted and the existence of rarity and so on. I think they're still working on a lot of mechanics in terms of presentation and card interaction- I wouldn't doubt that they might change it radically once again when it gets closer to official release.

I have to agree though. The card evolution feels a lot less... theme-y and more mechanical grinding. I was hoping this game would be more theme-oriented than Ascension...

Viktor Walters on
  • Options
    They're actually having some issues today with recording wins and losses, it figures the day I post about it.

The gameplay itself and the mechanics aren't going to change before full release. At this point it's tweaking cards and adding functions while ironing out the issues.

The first playable version just had 2 fixed decks that you could only play against the computer, then they added in 4 more available starter decks with more cards. then they released the deckbuilder where you could make anything you want from the existing pre-release card pool. Then it was what you see now, where cards are bound to accounts and rewards from kickstarter have been distributed.

There will be trading and the ability to exchange cards you don't need at some point soon. Although you'll only ever be able to trade cards you've purchased not earned with silver or daily rewards. Tournaments should be up next month.

• Options
    Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    A-Puck wrote: »
    Made an account to test out the game, first game against a regular person, and he is just sitting there. He can kill me as soon as he hits the battle button, but he chooses not to.

The two games I've played, I've run across an issue when I'm about the deliver the killing blow, it disconnects me. Like when I click 'battle' it says 'error communicating with the server' and then boots me to the main screen. I click back to the game I pretty much won and it's grayed over with a 'You Lose' across it.
    This is what happened exactly.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHS5tdTXQ94

Ash-Housewares on
  • Options

I dunno if it was any different before it was "Early Access" on Steam, but the first version on Steam was muuuch different than this one, in terms of how the cards interacted and the existence of rarity and so on. I think they're still working on a lot of mechanics in terms of presentation and card interaction- I wouldn't doubt that they might change it radically once again when it gets closer to official release.

I have to agree though. The card evolution feels a lot less... theme-y and more mechanical grinding. I was hoping this game would be more theme-oriented than Ascension...

I mean more that I was just imagining a more robust cash game with less freemium content. I don't hate the free to play model, but I feel like the money I spent was completely unnecessary. When I evaluate a free to play game, I ask myself whether the game will be $30 better or last $30 longer if I kick in $30.

In this case, I don't really feel like I significantly expanded my enjoyment of the game in any way with my $60 during the kickstarter, when everything was hopes and dreams.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    A-Puck wrote: »

The two games I've played, I've run across an issue when I'm about the deliver the killing blow, it disconnects me. Like when I click 'battle' it says 'error communicating with the server' and then boots me to the main screen. I click back to the game I pretty much won and it's grayed over with a 'You Lose' across it.
    This is what happened exactly.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHS5tdTXQ94

Yeah, I've had some of those too. I take back the bad thoughts I was thinking about that person. Beta is beta.

So how do I go about earning silver? I got some for winning a game, then for winning 3 games, then... nothing?

e: nevermind, found the thread on the forum, it's logging in, winning a game, playing 3 online games. Each of them on a 22 hour cooldown.
    (https://solforgegame.com/forum/general-discussion/how-to-purchase-silver/)

A-Puck on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I'm of the opinion that two cards played a hand with a hand discard at the end is probably the worst "resource"/limitation system I have ever encountered.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    It's basically a mash between a Deck Building Game and a Collectable Card Game. The issue is that the only way you build your deck is by using the cards that you want to improve, which is somewhat... flat.

• Options
    Garthor wrote: »
    It's basically a mash between a Deck Building Game and a Collectable Card Game. The issue is that the only way you build your deck is by using the cards that you want to improve, which is somewhat... flat.

Unless you're Alloyin.

Which is basically why I only play Alloyin. Because a fundamental game system I like about these sorts of games only exists in that faction.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    it does kill time.

i've been disappointed by the connectivity issues today, seems pretty well bugged in that regard.

in other respects, it's pretty good, though i wish there were trading or crafting of some kind.
    i really only want to play one or two factions, but my rares are pretty evenly split.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Since I'm not in the Hearthstone beta and Hex isn't in alpha yet it serves it's function for the time being.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Garthor wrote: »

Unless you're Alloyin.

Which is basically why I only play Alloyin. Because a fundamental game system I like about these sorts of games only exists in that faction.

Well that's not really accurate, There are cards of every faction that let you upgrade extra cards per turn. I've played and upgraded my entire hand with a straight Uterra deck in a single turn.

You build your deck before you start the game, but you actually change it during the course of the game by what you choose to play. There's a reason you have a 100 life to play with. Playing the wrong cards just because they fit better in the moment is a common mistake.

I've found with 5 per turn, play 2 then discard it works perfectly with the reshuffle mechanics. You see 20 cards before your first reshuffle. You're most likely going to see all the cards you need without the need for filler like a resource that does nothing other than add a random element to the game.

• Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    Played a few games of this today. It was interesting, but I found it annoying to go up against people with deck fulls of what what I found out were heroic and legendary cards.

Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    I actually find it equally annoying, but on the opposite side. Not so much the fact that I have tons more legendary cards but because I have a cohesive well crafted deck because of a larger pool of cards. And it's not much fun playing against someone with a starter deck. Some guys on their forums are running a tournament this weekend with no heroic or legendary cards allowed. That might be a good option if you guys want to play and see what's possible with only the more common cards.

• Options
    Entaru wrote: »
    Since I'm not in the Hearthstone beta and Hex isn't in alpha yet it serves its function for the time being.

pretty much this.

also, having played in the earlier beta, i miss being able to build a real deck with cohesive 3-ofs.

also i miss having a 2nd and 3rd echowisp, that card is the best card ever.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    I gotta say, I've sort of fallen in love with the Dr. Frankenbaum just because of the theme and the Graveborn Glutton/Dr. Frankebaum direct damage usefulness.

Viktor Walters on
  • Options
    been playing this today, more fun than my first opinion.

totally fair cards: echowisp, spring nymph, grimgaunt devourer/predator.
    these guys? totally not broken in any way. :D

i think there are basically two good constructed decks at present:
    uterra/necrium, and Robot Synergy.

i haven't seen a good tempys deck yet, though i saw a fun gimmick deck built to abuse firefist uranti.

• Options
    That might be just the starter, at least mostly. The red/green is basically what I run since they kept giving me red and some green cards the first day. Firefist with the green stuff's creature growing is pretty nice, but it's pretty depressing when they get electro net'd.

I'm a fan of Shardplate Delver since I got one, over Grimgaunt Predator at least. The Devourer is a beast tho.

• Options
    my list is currently this:
    1x Grimgaunt Devourer
    3x Grimgaunt Predator
    1x Echowisp
    1x Witherforst Succubus
    2x Spring Dryad
    1x Deepbranch Ancient
    1x Shardplate Delver
    3x Grove Huntress
    3x Gloomreaper Witch
    1x Marrow Fiend
    1x Fell Walker
    3x Deepwood Bear Rider

2x Phytobomb
    2x Ferocious Roar
    2x Epidemic
    1x Dreadbolt
    1x Botanimate
    1x Cull the Weak

it basically ruins everything i've come across.
    i'd run more echowisp/spring dryad/devourer/delver if i had more, probably cut Bear Rider, Marrow Fiend, and Gloomreapers.
    i'd run uterran packmaster and cut the non-grimgaunt nekrium creatures if i had him, also.

but really, this deck archetype is totally OP, and i haven't seen anything else that does particularly well against it.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    It seems like every person I've played in multi is running black and either green or white.

Black is fucking crazy good.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    And, yes, spring dryad seems pretty broken.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    I'm having the hardest time playing my cards with a view toward the level 2 and 3 versions, I keep on making decisions that seem to be good for the short run, then I get toward the end game and get stomped.

• Options
    The OP should maybe set up a PA players list or something.

My solForge name is Burtletoy

• Options
    The game has only given me Alloyin and Tempys cards so far. =(

My ign is Elementalor

• Options
    i take it back, there are some ridiculous mono-black decks out there.
    hellforged avatar is maybe the best of the avatar cycle.

also: my condolences, elementalor!

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Hellforged Avatar is the worst of the cycle! The Alloyin one is nuts because Alloyin has card draw. In theory with a couple Energy Surges and a Metamind you could drop a level 3 as a 42/42. I believe that is the biggest creature you can get short of the legendary Uterra dragon that gets to Fuckoff/Fuckoff if you have 100+ life.

Also, Lucedes, did you see Grimgaunt Devourer before beta went open? The bonuses were in line with what Grimgaunt Predator is in the current version and some decks had literal no ways to beat a level 3 of him once he got going. I'm of the opinion that now, in the current version of the game, Grimgaunt Predator is the better card, but that may be because I've built my Nekrium deck explicitly to take advantage of him and my Keepers of the Damned.

Anyone know when drafting for this shindig is coming to beta? I'm gonna stockpile silver for a while and either get a cool skin or see if drafting uses it.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Okay, I like this.

Is there anything to get rid of Defender? Was fighting a guy that kept locking my shit down by turning them into Defenders.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Aaaaand I'm out until there's actual ranked matchmaking in this. Haven't won one single game against other players because fuckoff cards.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Hellforged Avatar is the worst of the cycle!

Also, Lucedes, did you see Grimgaunt Devourer before beta went open?

Anyone know when drafting for this shindig is coming to beta?

hellforged avatar happens to be in the best color, though! unlike the steelforged one, which is in alloyin.

i abuse the HELL out of grimgaunt devourer before the beta went open. it was the best card in the game by far.
    i'm also still kind of sad about cull the weak, since removal is so bad in this game, it needed something.
    i realize necrium would be way too overpowered with it remaining the way it was, however.

whenever drafting arrives, i'm in! i bet it uses gold, though.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Account name is admanb. My current list is pretty nuts:

Nekrium/Tempys

Creatures:

1x Scorchmane Dragon
    3x Master of Elements
    3x Flameshaper Savant
    3x Flame Speaker

Spells:

3x Nether Embrace
    3x Lightning Spark
    3x Ghastly Touch
    1x Cull the Weak
    3x Uranti Bolt
    1x Contagion Surge
    2x Epidemic
    3x Static Shock
    1x Dreadbolt

Scorchmane Dragon is the only Legendary, and I don't think it's necessary. The core of the deck is to level my Masters and Flameshapers as quickly as possible, then at level two and beyond, drop Flameshapers and cast infinite spells. The main reason the Flame Speakers are in there is because I don't want to level any spells before level two, if possible.

The removal suite is in flux. Contagion Surge is pretty useless, Cull the Weak is iffy but after getting stomped by a Synapsis Oracle level up deck I like having it as basically an in-deck "sideboard" card.

I've seen a deck that uses the same core Master/Flameshaper concept, but with Alloyin card draw/free spell spam added on. I might try that out.