As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Official Civil War Discussion 2.0

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    JohnDoe wrote:
    I'd like to see at least one pro-reg story before Civil War ends.

Something about a lower class vigilante who registers, and gets an income and training, as well as being able to call in the police/other registered heroes aa backup in a supervillain fight, and actually ends up better.

They might be doing that with Arana.

How many spider powered-people are there, anyways?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    JohnDoe wrote:

Something about a lower class vigilante who registers, and gets an income and training, as well as being able to call in the police/other registered heroes aa backup in a supervillain fight, and actually ends up better.

Wow. That is a beautiful truth I hadn't thought of...

Well now that I think about it I would rather trust an anarchistic community of unregistered superheroes then a buerocratic one. The training and income is true, but not really that much. Just look at soldiers. Yeah you can get an education, but if there is a war on they don't wait for you to get your college degree before they send you out. Also, now a days, there is always a "war" on. sigh.

My standard response to this is look at police.

In a crisis situation, I'd trust a policeman more than a random joe with a gun.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    Ghost Rider 2099Ghost Rider 2099 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    JohnDoe wrote:
    JohnDoe wrote:

Wow. That is a beautiful truth I hadn't thought of...

Well now that I think about it I would rather trust an anarchistic community of unregistered superheroes then a buerocratic one. The training and income is true, but not really that much. Just look at soldiers. Yeah you can get an education, but if there is a war on they don't wait for you to get your college degree before they send you out. Also, now a days, there is always a "war" on. sigh.

My standard response to this is look at police.

In a crisis situation, I'd trust a policeman more than a random joe with a gun.

Where do you live?

Ghost Rider 2099 on
    5.gifCrackdown_21.thumbnail.jpgI follow console news because it's fun, like tracking the rivalries in what was once called the World Wrestling Federation. There are larger than life characters. There are signature techniques.
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I have to think the reliability of the police force is inversely proportional to the amount of super-heroes present in any given area.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    SavitarSavitar Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Well the spoilers I posted here are likewise being posted elsewhere as people read the issue for themselves and take them from the same place as I did.

Mark Millar has posted a thread on his board for the issue and even mentions [spoiler:3db47c6930] How there is not a major death but a minor one and there are clones. Go figure huh. [/spoiler:3db47c6930] plus he goes on to say he doesn't know why some media were saying something major ala Spider Man revealing himself was going to happen in this issue because there isn't.

Savitar on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    A nice little quote here by Mark Millar in response to one post made on his forum:
    Both are right and both are wrong, something the other characters are starting to see this issue and over the next ones too. That said, there has to be a definitive answer for issue seven-- a definite winner-- and that shapes Marvel from that point onwards.

Savitar on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I think it'll be astoundingly unrealistic if the anti-regs don't lose. Seriously, fighting the US government through non-sanctioned methods is a losing proposition, even if you have super powers. If they're not fighting in court or through the legislative process, this will only end in the eventual defeat and deportation/imprisonment/registration of the anti-regs. So, yeah, it'll change the shape of the Marvel Universe alright. I just hope the shape doesn't involve heroes hiding or retiring. I don't need to read stories where the subtext is all "vigilante running from the government" because that's been done to death. Maybe we'll just see heroes relocate to friendlier countries. It's about time other countries had some major heroes anyway.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2006
    Judging from the preview of Mighty Avengers it looks like the pro-regs win.

Bogart on
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2006
    CW #4 spoiler:

[spoiler:fd91793c85]Black Goliath is Marvel's Blue Beetle.[/spoiler:fd91793c85]

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Don't know about that....people cared about Blue Beetle, this guy most people never even knew and appeared very few times at all.

Savitar on
  • Options
    jarednielsonjarednielson Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Man I wouldn't be saying those kind of things around here.
    I'm not a big BB fan myself but these guys would blow his corpse.

jarednielson on
    1fdd6q1.jpg
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2006
    Savitar wrote:
    Don't know about that....people cared about Blue Beetle, this guy most people never even knew and appeared very few times at all.

Yeah,

[spoiler:7172fde155]I was kind of shocked that it was Black Goliath, especially since they JUST brought him back.[/spoiler:7172fde155]

All in all, it wasn't that affecting. But, it's similar in the sense of the "death that got shit rollin'."

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    [spoiler:fa7220ff35]I was kind of shocked that it was Black Goliath, especially since they JUST brought him back.

I saw the fact they just brought him back as evidence he was going to die. They want heroes to die, but I'm sure they're only willing to swing the death of 1 truly significant character.[/spoiler:fa7220ff35]

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I just read the scene on scans_daily.

[spoiler:e82fa213e4]THOR ZOMBIE CLONE?! AND THE SHUTOFF CODE IS A REFERENCE TO A NAZI COMPOSER?! And now someone's dead!

What the fuck is up with Reed? How can this not ruin the character the same way Hank slapping Janet ruined Giant Man?[/spoiler:e82fa213e4]

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    I just read the scene on scans_daily.

[spoiler:347aff5591]THOR ZOMBIE CLONE?! AND THE SHUTOFF CODE IS A REFERENCE TO A NAZI COMPOSER?! And now someone's dead!

What the fuck is up with Reed? How can this not ruin the character the same way Hank slapping Janet ruined Giant Man?[/spoiler:347aff5591]

Dude, they're both dicks. We expect asshattery from them. The difference between them and regular dicks is that they have the genius level intellect to take the asshattery to unseen heights (or depths, in this case). I'd lump Tony in with them, but Civil War Files decreased his percentage of dick-itude a good bit.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    RocielRociel Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Something that pissed me off was that crazy Stamford mother. [spoiler:3a2d0f536d]What kind of person shows up to a guy's funeral in order to justify his murder?[/spoiler:3a2d0f536d]

Rociel on
    Too big sig. 500x80 plzkthx.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Rociel wrote:
    Something that pissed me off was that crazy Stamford mother. [spoiler:a2bf77b81b]What kind of person shows up to a guy's funeral in order to justify his murder?[/spoiler:a2bf77b81b]
    God Hates Fags showed up at soldiers' funerals for a while. It might even be a reference to that.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    To the Black post!!

[spoiler:8d7192011f]Oh...My...God. Right through the fucking chest.

I'm kinda wavry on this issue. Tony not beating the shit out of Cap more was in character for him, as was his way of trying to put him down for good. Cap's responses though sounded more like Ult. Cap though, and even though Ult. Cap's cool, he ain't no 616 Cap, which kinda got to me.

The Art was fantastic, as usual, still pissed off it was late, and that Clone Thor looks like a goddamn psychopath. I mean, honestly, I can understand Tony going through great length's to get this whole war over...but...cloning Thor? And the clone subsequently killing a man? Good GOD. The last panel was just icing on the cake, Iron Man/Reed/Hank(well, not so much Hank, he's pretty nuts already) has gone batshit insane. Make that 4 books in a row that's been unanimously Anti-Reg.

However, this issue was a good as hell reason to get Spidey to change side's. Same with Sue and Johnny.[/spoiler:8d7192011f]

Transporter on
  • Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Rociel wrote:
    Something that pissed me off was that crazy Stamford mother. [spoiler:ae4b24bfae]What kind of person shows up to a guy's funeral in order to justify his murder?[/spoiler:ae4b24bfae]
    ask all the people who protest at soldiers' funerals.

it happens.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Rociel wrote:
    Something that pissed me off was that crazy Stamford mother. [spoiler:af6a49c45e]What kind of person shows up to a guy's funeral in order to justify his murder?[/spoiler:af6a49c45e]

it happens.

Well, despite being an asshole and a retard, at least what she did have a tangible connection to the funeral. The fundies who protest at soldiers' funerals don't enjoy a similar claim. Either way, stupid people suck and do retarded things like this.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    SASA Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    To the Black post!!

[spoiler:8d0a24cec7]Oh...My...God. Right through the fucking chest.

I'm kinda wavry on this issue. Tony not beating the shit out of Cap more was in character for him, as was his way of trying to put him down for good. Cap's responses though sounded more like Ult. Cap though, and even though Ult. Cap's cool, he ain't no 616 Cap, which kinda got to me.

The Art was fantastic, as usual, still pissed off it was late, and that Clone Thor looks like a goddamn psychopath. I mean, honestly, I can understand Tony going through great length's to get this whole war over...but...cloning Thor? And the clone subsequently killing a man? Good GOD. The last panel was just icing on the cake, Iron Man/Reed/Hank(well, not so much Hank, he's pretty nuts already) has gone batshit insane. Make that 4 books in a row that's been unanimously Anti-Reg.

However, this issue was a good as hell reason to get Spidey to change side's. Same with Sue and Johnny.[/spoiler:8d0a24cec7]

Captain America is from the Bronx. When he gets mad, he gets mad.

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    CW #4 spoiler:

[spoiler:9019e51483]Black Goliath is Marvel's Blue Beetle.[/spoiler:9019e51483]

[spoiler:9019e51483]Except that Black Goliath's death actually had an effect on the story and a few of the characters actually gave a damn[/spoiler:9019e51483]

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    [spoiler:705b4d869e]Quite a few characters cared the Beetle was dead, they took him for granted and might have thought he was nothing much at the end but when he was gone they appeared to be shaken up by it a bit.

Also his death helped to get the ball rolling for IC and lead the gang to Maxwell Lord and Brother Eye which again all tied into IC.

For the record I enjoyed BB's death and that's as a reader who has enjoyed comic's for most of his life. To me death should be part of comic's and at times some people are going to die heroicly well and other times it's going to be meaningless and that echoes how things are in life hence why it's all the more tragic. [/spoiler:705b4d869e]

Savitar on
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    [spoiler:d12674e74e]Well, surprisingly, absolutely none of the spoilers were bullshit. However, they still didn't mention if the hammer is real or fake. Taskmaster going back to his old look, negative points for that.[/spoiler:d12674e74e]

Crayon on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2006
    Crayon wrote:
    [spoiler:9fc8c1726a]Well, surprisingly, absolutely none of the spoilers were bullshit. However, they still didn't mention if the hammer is real or fake. Taskmaster going back to his old look, negative points for that.[/spoiler:9fc8c1726a]

[spoiler:9fc8c1726a]Taskmaster went back to his old look in Moon Knight. And I don't think the real Mjolnir has wires hanging out of a side panel.

Which to me implies that the real Thor, or Beta Ray Bill, are still going to make an appearance.[/spoiler:9fc8c1726a]

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Geebs wrote:
    Crayon wrote:
    [spoiler:fc9927d066]Well, surprisingly, absolutely none of the spoilers were bullshit. However, they still didn't mention if the hammer is real or fake. Taskmaster going back to his old look, negative points for that.[/spoiler:fc9927d066]

[spoiler:fc9927d066]Taskmaster went back to his old look in Moon Knight. And I don't think the real Mjolnir has wires hanging out of a side panel.

Which to me implies that the real Thor, or Beta Ray Bill, are still going to make an appearance.[/spoiler:fc9927d066]

[spoiler:fc9927d066] My bad. Read it really quickly. Went back to the panel the clone was laying on. Yeah, disregard that. [/spoiler:fc9927d066]

Crayon on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Savitar wrote:
    [spoiler:0c5d64cd77]Quite a few characters cared the Beetle was dead, they took him for granted and might have thought he was nothing much at the end but when he was gone they appeared to be shaken up by it a bit.

Also his death helped to get the ball rolling for IC and lead the gang to Maxwell Lord and Brother Eye which again all tied into IC.

For the record I enjoyed BB's death and that's as a reader who has enjoyed comic's for most of his life. To me death should be part of comic's and at times some people are going to die heroicly well and other times it's going to be meaningless and that echoes how things are in life hence why it's all the more tragic. [/spoiler:0c5d64cd77]

Off-topic, but it needs to be said. This is a huge pet peeve of mine.
    bobsquni0.gif

Also, deaths can serve a point-- such as advancing a story-line, and still be dumb because the story is some bastard child of the 90s raping the silver age or something.

I really wish this was an Ultimate Marvel thing. It would be so much more in character and characters would not have to be pushed into strange territory to justify this stuff.

Taskmaster going back to his old suit is pretty dumb. I think that Moon Knight artist who has some kind of dirt/wrinkle fetish did it just because the newer costume wasn't dirty and wrinkley enough.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    When people say how today's comic's are raping/ruining silver age characters I often wonder two things:

1. Did people make such an outcry when Barbra Gordon got shot in the spine or when Barry died.

2. Why should the silver age, Jack Kirby characters or anything else be exempt from getting killed?

To me death is such a natural part of life to see it in comic's is just a reflection of that. Again it may suck and be meaningless at times but that's normally why it's all the more tragic.

Savitar on
  • Options
    Kshah777Kshah777 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    So...

[spoiler:da1cef1510] Does that fact that they killed BLACK Goliath mean that Marvel hates the blacks now, too? Quick! TO THE OVERREACTION-MOBILE! [/spoiler:da1cef1510]

Kshah777 on
    "He ate a moose and he ate a whale, he even ate a mountain... of shrimp..."
    ~"The Ballad of Morgan Brown"
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Savitar wrote:
    When people say how today's comic's are raping/ruining silver age characters I often wonder two things:

1. Did people make such an outcry when Barbra Gordon got shot in the spine or when Barry died.

2. Why should the silver age, Jack Kirby characters or anything else be exempt from getting killed?

To me death is such a natural part of life to see it in comics is just a reflection of that. Again it may suck and be meaningless at times but that's normally why it's all the more tragic.

You do not use an apostrophe to pluralize a word.

Barbara and Barry died, and people were mad and sad, but it served a purpose. I guess Beetle's death served a purpose too, but the storyline had a lot of bad writing in it that left a bad taste in my brain.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Douglas, shut the fuck up about proper syntax. Nowhere does it state that certain rules should be followed, so lay the fuck off.

Now if this thread were "sentence structure and you", I could understand your outcry of stupidity. So lay off it.

Anywho, what do you think the role of Punisher will be?

Crayon on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Kshah777 wrote:
    So...

[spoiler:bc0d031f5e] Does that fact that they killed BLACK Goliath mean that Marvel hates the blacks now, too? Quick! TO THE OVERREACTION-MOBILE! [/spoiler:bc0d031f5e]

Heh, I was gonna make that comment earlier. It's just like in the movies!

Also, I'm glad this isn't happening in Ultimate Marvel, because it would be boring. The way it works there, you pretty much already have to register anyway if you're a super powered person. If you don't and use your powers, SHIELD will pay you a nice visit and you'll be "registered" anyway. Nick Fury said it best to Spidey: when you're 18, you belong to me. Plus, there's not really gonna be any antis in Ultimate Marvel.

If Taskmaster's in this, I'm wondering exactly when the events in the new Moon Knight are taking place, especially since 3 issues of Moon Knight are going to be a tie in to the CW.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    jarednielsonjarednielson Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    [spoiler:f611b4fda6]Clone thor is going to be in so much trouble once the Thor Corps ges wind of this. I see Beta-Ray bill and eric masterson hunting the thing down as a testament to Thor.[/spoiler:f611b4fda6]

jarednielson on
    1fdd6q1.jpg
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    OMFG!!!!!

UPS lost my comic book store's shipment. No Civil War #4 till Friday. FUCKKKKKKKKK>>>>

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Rociel wrote:
    Something that pissed me off was that crazy Stamford mother. [spoiler:f472b5bd31]What kind of person shows up to a guy's funeral in order to justify his murder?[/spoiler:f472b5bd31]

it happens.

Off topic, but I love how God Hates Fags have been protesting at gay people's funerals, including Matthew Shepard and innocent kids who have been killed by thugs, but the moment they show up at a soldiers funeral, it's a big fucking deal. That hypocrisy makes me want to puke.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    RiqaRiqa Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    So from the looks of Civil War 4 the Thunderbolts are getting a new lineup in a upcoming arc from the looks of things, which I guess was the big thing for the 'Bolts Quesada was talking about. With the Thunderbolts being my favorite book its left me feeling kinda mixed... I guess if Fabain's still around it should be ok...
    Having the New Avengers as all the big names of the hero community was a huge success so having a Thunderbolts where all the top villains, real world class guys, are coerced into working as a hero team seemed like an obvious idea.

Better then being cancelled I suppose... :|

Riqa on
    3DS: 3411-1583-6442
    Steam: Noai
    Warframe: Fairwoods
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Sentry wrote:
    Rociel wrote:
    Something that pissed me off was that crazy Stamford mother. [spoiler:221915e224]What kind of person shows up to a guy's funeral in order to justify his murder?[/spoiler:221915e224]

it happens.

Off topic, but I love how God Hates Fags have been protesting at gay people's funerals, including Matthew Shepard and innocent kids who have been killed by thugs, but the moment they show up at a soldiers funeral, it's a big fucking deal. That hypocrisy makes me want to puke.

As long as you remember that Jesus hates fags, it all makes perfect sense. :roll:

I hate those God Hates Fags retards. I only hope Christianity turns out to be the true faith, so I can see Jesus personally cast those idiots into hell, where they'll spend eternity being sodomized.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I like Thunderbolts more as a place for low-class villains to rise above their shortcomings (in terms of power and morals). That and taking big names villains and putting them in a hero team means there're less good villains out there for the heroes to tackle.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Sentry wrote:
    Rociel wrote:
    Something that pissed me off was that crazy Stamford mother. [spoiler:af463f2109]What kind of person shows up to a guy's funeral in order to justify his murder?[/spoiler:af463f2109]

it happens.

The worst part about that is that now when shitty right-wing journalists report on Phelps and his clan they refer to them as ANTI-WAR PROTESTOR FRED PHELPS. Instead of "Right-wing hate-monger Fred Phelps."

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    HankScorpioHankScorpio Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'm a little confused about the time line of some of the events in Civil War. In #4 we find out [spoiler:2b78836ba7]Wiccan is in jail now and Cassie has apparently walked away from the anti side[/spoiler:2b78836ba7] but they are still running around in [spoiler:2b78836ba7]YA/Runaways[/spoiler:2b78836ba7] (spoilered just to be safe). Also, didn't [spoiler:2b78836ba7]The Thing leave the country? Cause he was all over this issue[/spoiler:2b78836ba7] Can anyone shed some light on any of this?

HankScorpio on
    Scorpiohank.png
This discussion has been closed.