As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PA Comic] Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - Missive

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited August 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• JortalusJortalus Registered User regular
    Oh God...Hearthstone cards tied to WoW achievements.

I don't think I could handle that with my dignity intact.

• FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    This game is going to ruin me all over again isn't it?

You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    it will ruin us all, now I must play it, it looks addictive and fun : D

• Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    I know that feel, haven't played since Wrath but the long wait for next gen consoles (don't own any current gen anymore), the let down that was GW2 and now the Hearthstone hype...it's drawing me back.

Just seeing the card art makes me want to re-sub.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I love how he ends the this super sincere and pleading letter with "Your friend, Gabriel".

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    I love the unicorn letterhead

• MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Of course he puts a heart over the 'i'.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • ThebakedpotatoThebakedpotato Registered User new member
    Pony wrote: »
    I love the unicorn letterhead
    Well duh. If you want something from Blizzard, you have to give them a unicorn.sqtC7.png

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    I seriously laughed really hard at this comic.

"And apparently I had children at some point around The Burning Crusade" kills me

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

"And apparently I had children at some point around The Burning Crusade" kills me

That's what got me too.

I used to play WoW, but I wussed out after my first all-nighter when I slept for an entire day...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
    Normally, I would laugh at all of you silly WoW addicts but, well .... *looks at Puzzles & Dragons on his android phone*

• Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    They're 2/2 in fantastic comics this week. I think I like this one a tad more, just because it gives Tycho and Gabe equal footing. The last comic working so well was mostly down to Gabe perfectly drawing panels 2 and 3, but here art and text are in perfect balance.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    This one was really good. I can't wait for the news post.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Reminds me of the other one they did about this a while back with the 'hail satan' or whatnot

that one was fantastic too!

• RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Reminds me of the other one they did about this a while back with the 'hail satan' or whatnot

I believe the one you're refering to was about their physical TSG(correct me if i'm wrong). Great comic though. I don't actually considered playing Hearthstone yet, but it looks nice from what I saw.

Redthirst on
    steam_sig.png
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Redthirst wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »

I believe the one you're refering to was about their physical TSG(correct me if i'm wrong). Great comic though. I don't actually considered playing Hearthstone yet, but it looks nice from what I saw.

I was, yes

• TravanTravan Registered User regular
    edited August 2013

Gabe being torn between his responsibility as a father/husband and his WoW addiction really is one of my favorite running gags.

215546990_Nq5Qk-L-2.jpg

Travan on
    Gamertag- Travan7838

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The only CCG type game I've ever played, digitally or in meatspace, was Lost Kingdoms.

That was a very long time ago.

As far as WoW, I miss it sometimes, especially healing. I haven't found another game that scratches that exact itch. I played a free week of the Pandaria exansion last year sometime and came out of it fairly at peace with WoW and my decision to quit it. I cannot imagine a situation that would result in going back to it, or any MMO ever again.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • BolerBoler Registered User regular
    The only CCG type game I've ever played, digitally or in meatspace, was Lost Kingdoms.

That was a very long time ago.

As far as WoW, I miss it sometimes, especially healing. I haven't found another game that scratches that exact itch. I played a free week of the Pandaria exansion last year sometime and came out of it fairly at peace with WoW and my decision to quit it. I cannot imagine a situation that would result in going back to it, or any MMO ever again.

The MMO is its own special kind of monster. I was lucky enough to get broken on a mediocre free-to-play/pay-to-win Chinese MMO, so when I hit the end game there wasn't really anything keeping a grasp on me. Part of the fun of the MMO is learning and experiencing the world, but it is a very "caught in the moment" experience that only works until the game runs out of content to show you that you're interested in, or when you start to notice the road you're on doesn't really end and is the same grey pavement for miles neverending.

This is why, while part of me is excited about Everquest Next, I'm a bit scared of the hell it will unleash if it turns out to be any good. If I let myself play an MMO with dynamic content (second life is inaccessible with no goals or gamey elements and doesn't count), I'll probably be like any other hamster chasing after the next blocks I can stick on to my custom castle.

• AradonTemplarAradonTemplar Registered User regular
    Just wait...
    Just wait until it is implemented in the MMO too. How many comics ago was it, when they noticed that "players sometimes leave their computers"? Problem solved!

• Echo2OmegaEcho2Omega Registered User regular
    FFG has some pretty amazing card games.

I really like what they call "living card games" and here is why. When you buy the game you get EVERY CARD.
    When you play the game its all about your deck build and skill vs. the other players deck build and skill. Its NOT about who has the most expensive deck or how long you have been collecting for. (*cough* Magic the Gathering *cough*).

Android Netrunner is an absolutely amazing card game. Can't recommend it enough.
    (warning: it has a pretty substantial learning curve. It is also asymmetrical so the runner and corporation both play differently and user differing terminology.)

• Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    I never played WoW. Like ever.
    So I miss every WoW related joke.

I guess they're all the same though. They're all about how nobody can escape WoW.

• TleilaxuTleilaxu Registered User regular
    I quit WoW after Burning Crusade: and it was harder to do than it was to start flossing. (R.I.P. Mitch Hedburg.) There's still this little, hot ember that just got fanned by all the bloody reviews of Hearthstone. Damn you, Blizzard.

Also damn Mike and Jerry for reminding me I can't play it yet.

checkpointangrybirds.gif
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I'll have to hold my hands up and say I don't understand this one.

-hands back 'geek' card-

Right, best accept it and go buy myself Fifa.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    If you haven't heard of World Of Warcraft you genuinely, no fooling need to hand back that card.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Echo2Omega wrote: »
    FFG has some pretty amazing card games.

I really like what they call "living card games" and here is why. When you buy the game you get EVERY CARD.
    When you play the game its all about your deck build and skill vs. the other players deck build and skill. Its NOT about who has the most expensive deck or how long you have been collecting for. (*cough* Magic the Gathering *cough*).

Android Netrunner is an absolutely amazing card game. Can't recommend it enough.
    (warning: it has a pretty substantial learning curve. It is also asymmetrical so the runner and corporation both play differently and user differing terminology.)

Except for the part where you only get 1 copy of some cards in the box, so you either buy the box three times and throw out 75% of the cards, or don't have the same cards as the guy who DID buy 3x of every box. :P

A collectible card game is a collectible card game. There's different ways to dress 'em up, but no matter what, you're going to pay some money for them.

That said, I freaking love CCG's. Moving them over to the digital space is going to literally destroy me. I've already bought into Solforge and Hex. (And I swore, in one of these threads, not to buy into Hex after my Solforge experience.)

I have no doubt I will also lose many hours to Hearthstone. I just really, really hope, as Gabe does apparently, they don't find some way to drag me back into actual WoW to support my card game addictions.

What is this I don't even.
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Then again, I said I'd never play another MMO after WoW, but, er, Elder Scrolls Online. Skyrim looks kinda bland compared to the stylistic (or low poly, depending on how you look at it) aesthetic of WoW, but it has that same deep vein of lore and culture that WoW did. I may not be able to stay away. I guess it depends on how well it is recieved and if any of my IRL friends start playing it.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho