As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Booth Babe

1235»

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2007
    I don't like boothbabes. It has nothing to do with sex in advertising or being a prude or whatever. I consider it an insult to my intelligence. The mount of booth babes is inversely proportionate to the chances of my going to PAX.

Tube on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    <snip>
    If you really thought the way that you claim to believe, then you wouldn't be purchasing and so avidly portraying yourself as a lustful sex object as you play these games. Is your problem with Natasha that she actually IS a lustful sex object? I'm still honestly curious why she is "offensive on several different levels"... can you explain?

If you re-read her post, she doesn't have an issue with Natasha. Reading Comprehension FTW?

(My turn to be the ass! *passes it like a hot potato*) =D

Houn on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    MMO's in general tend to blur the line between fantasy and reality. Usually, this involves a player heavily engaging in the game, being drawn into that world, using a computer generated avatar. When the player is unaware of the world, then sometimes that involves take a character class from fantasy and bringing it to reality, using a human avatar rather than a computer generated one.

And eye candy and games come hand in hand. Most of the time, it's a matter of "OMG, look at how realistic these car graphics are!" Occasionally, it has less to do with realism, and more to do with sheer aesthetics. If you can fine a model who can personify that, then so be it.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I found it to be QUITE offensive on several different levels.

Well I guess we all can't be the cute 20-year old model -- some of us have to be the overweight parent that wears Mom Jeans.

Your "offended" stance at ideal human physiques used as marketing rings completely hollow since you are 400+ hours deep into a game that has idealized female physiques used as your in-game avatars . Does she ruin your little fantasy about yourself? Take too much of the male attention away from your otherwise female-free existence?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but as gaming becomes more mainstream, so will your hegemony on male attention.

Wow... you sure showed me ;P

Like I said, I didn't mind her being cute in the least (Which she really was ^.^) and if she were just a random cosplayer at the con I would have adored the outfit. My beef is with the company using sex to sell things that have nothing to do with sex.

But way to be an insulting ass about it. Fortunately, I'm quite happy with myself and don't care what some troll on the forums has to say about me. But in future might I ask that you try and be more kind please? Some girls have very low self esteem due to the very "sex marketing" we are talking about.

Sorry for coming off as an ass (which I *am*, I'll be the first to admit). But you come off as a complete hypocrite. Games like these obviously have a ton to do with sex if they cause women to fashion idealized avatars for themselves (which you have, for example) in order to meet the male fantasy standard, and help them get "the attention they so rightly deserve". Too bad IRL is different.

BTW, what are YOU selling here? I see that you've got a lot of male friends on Myspace --- I'm pretty sure only one of them can be your husband, right?

If you really thought the way that you claim to believe, then you wouldn't be purchasing and so avidly portraying yourself as a lustful sex object as you play these games. Is your problem with Natasha that she actually IS a lustful sex object? I'm still honestly curious why she is "offensive on several different levels"... can you explain?

The only game I play regularly at the moment is Guild Wars which is what I am assuming you are talking about. Yes the females in that game are set unchangeably to "modelesque" proportions, it's something I can't change, but would if possible. In CoH where they have a much more wide array of character customization I tend to play a variety of body typed characters. I play GW because I enjoy the game. I have played male and female characters, and generally dress them in the more tasteful options for "armor". I do admit however that I would prefer more realistic proportions but sadly theres not a "no booth babes" policy in the game as there is at PAX

I'm not sure what you are asking with the "what are you selling here" comment. As I said, I have no problem with her or anyone dressing up on their own, but as an advertisement I find it distasteful. I have no husband and you are correct in your observation that I have a lot of male friends, does that mean something? I also have female ones as well, in fact, one of my best friends is a model herself. A tasteful and very beautiful one I might add :)

I found Natasha to be quite lovely herself, and I never had any problem with her at all. I also find myself to be not entirely unattractive and am in no way threatened by her hotness. Insulting me isn't going to do you much good, I'm not an angsty teenager thats going to go cry because you called me fat. I know I'm perfectly fine the way I am.

Which is 100% pure effing AWESOME! ^.^

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I am asking this again since it seems it was missed.
    BigRed wrote: »
    Since when is this girl a boothbabe?

She was dressed as a character from the game and could actually answer questions about the game.

Last time I checked boothbabes were bimbos dressed in very little clothes (bikinis, short-shorts, lowcut shirts, etc) who stood around as eyecandy and handed out swag.
    Or did you people never attend an E3?

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    Storm ShadowStorm Shadow Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

The only game I play regularly at the moment is Guild Wars which is what I am assuming you are talking about. Yes the females in that game are set unchangeably to "modelesque" proportions, it's something I can't change, but would if possible. In CoH where they have a much more wide array of character customization I tend to play a variety of body typed characters. I play GW because I enjoy the game. I have played male and female characters, and generally dress them in the more tasteful options for "armor". I do admit however that I would prefer more realistic proportions but sadly theres not a "no booth babes" policy in the game as there is at PAX

I'm not sure what you are asking with the "what are you selling here" comment. As I said, I have no problem with her or anyone dressing up on their own, but as an advertisement I find it distasteful. I have no husband and you are correct in your observation that I have a lot of male friends, does that mean something? I also have female ones as well, in fact, one of my best friends is a model herself. A tasteful and very beautiful one I might add :)

I found Natasha to be quite lovely herself, and I never had any problem with her at all. I also find myself to be not entirely unattractive and am in no way threatened by her hotness. Insulting me isn't going to do you much good, I'm not an angsty teenager thats going to go cry because you called me fat. I know I'm perfectly fine the way I am.

OK, hypothetical question: let's say Guild Wars hired a model that looked and was dressed EXACTLY like your personal in-game avatar. Would you be stoked -- or would you be offended on "several different levels"?

Storm Shadow on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

OK, hypothetical question: let's say Guild Wars hired a model that looked and was dressed EXACTLY like your personal in-game avatar. Would you be stoked -- or would you be offended on "several different levels"?

Stoked. This is my main character I think she is lovely. Like I said my only issue is with using sex to sell, not with the way the girls look.

BrokenAngel on
  • Options
    majin23xmajin23x Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Seriously, why are people complaining about Natasha when the conan girl was there.
    2034275560101416252BBmEsP_th.jpg

majin23x on
    **Still Undefeated at Jenga!**
  • Options
    Storm ShadowStorm Shadow Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Stoked. This is my main character I think she is lovely. Like I said my only issue is with using sex to sell, not with the way the girls look.

Frankly, I'd be stoked to meet a girl with skin-tight reptilian pants as well. Count me in.

Now, if Guild Wars did that, what would the difference be between her and Natasha? Are we down to the cut of her pants?

really?

Storm Shadow on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Frankly, I'd be stoked to meet a girl with skin-tight reptilian pants as well. Count me in.

Now, if Guild Wars did that, what would the difference be between her and Natasha? Are we down to the cut of her pants?

really?

::sigh::

If you really don't see any difference in those 2 costumes there then theres no point in bothering to talk to you anymore. This is ridiculous and I'm done arguing with you.

I have no idea why out of all the people that disagreed with booth babes you singled me out to personally insult, but honestly, I don't care anymore. Keep your opinion and I shall keep mine thank you :)

BrokenAngel on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    Clearly there is nothing positive that can come out of this thread anymore, if there ever was.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.