As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hail to the King at The World's End

• Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    Why the fuck didn't we get shirts

mkc.png
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Hot Fuzz is one of those movies where I thought for years "Yeah it's good, I guess" and then I re-watched it recently and quickly realised how much I was under-selling it.

I still like Shaun best, even though there aren't any James Bonds in it

mkc.png
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I like Shaun the most too (that damn mirror-team joke kills me), but they're both pretty great. This film seems like a wise use of the rest of money of have on this gift card.

To me the scenes with his mom and stepdad take Shaun the extra step
    Plus it's just tighter than the others

mkc.png
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I've said it before

What makes both movies great is that they are both excellent parodies while simultaneously being excellent examples of the genre they parody

Unlike, say, the Scary Movie ilk which are just parodies that go for laughs with their references, the Cornetto movies are homages and play it straight well enough to do both jobs

If you don't think Hot Fuzz is a great action movie, you're objectively wrong, and that is a thing I try to avoid saying with regards to subjective things like movies

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I cant really approach hot fuzz as a Parody. Its a comedy but its not making fun of the genre. It never says "see how ridiculous that is?" It grabs you shakes you a bit and says "dude that was fucking sweet!"

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Saw this at a cinema with its own bar. They had a beer on tap for the occasion called The Bitter End.

The bonus was that it was a very good beer in its own right, as well as a fitting beverage.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I cant really approach hot fuzz as a Parody. Its a comedy but its not making fun of the genre. It never says "see how ridiculous that is?" It grabs you shakes you a bit and says "dude that was fucking sweet!"

Well, there is
    the entire reveal about the watch's reasons for killing so many people being ridiculous and petty instead of logical and reasonable

If you don't think that's poking fun at the genre, I think you're wrong

But it's definitely an homage as well, and clearly shows a lot of love for the movies it references, again as opposed to the Scary Movie style

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    @balefuego and I watched both of these movies last night in preparation for today.

I hadn't seen Hot Fuzz except when it first came out, and I didn't realize that I actually liked it a whole lot more than Shaun of the Dead, and I adore that movie.

is there a youtube where it ticks off how many and how quickly Hot Fuzz incorporates all the things that Nick Frost asks Pegg in the first of the movie?

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Personal opinion about The World's End:
    I liked it. I liked it alot.

I think the most interesting bit to me was the fact that Gary King was actually a pretty pathetic/depressing character. Even in Shaun of the Dead when presented with peril Shaun sorts out a plan and puts it into action. Shaun was a guy who'd lost his step but still ultimately seemed to have a drive and ambition.

Gary King on the other hand when presented with peril is bloody minded that they finish the golden mile. He's so scared of the night ending that he risks not just himself but his own friends lives in the name of nostalgia and a terror of his current every day existence.

To me this was the big thing that made the film more human to me, the robot's weren't even the conflict and the subject of body snatchers wasn't even the focus of many jokes unlike the previous films where the subject matter was front and center. The entire thing wasn't the story of a motivated hero tackling the conflict but one lonely man finding himself a role in life after changing the entire world and it was a big tonal shift from the other two films that I really dug.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i've only seen the comedy central censored version of shaun of the dead a couple times

not seen the full one or hot fuzz once

Hot Fuzz is really, really good. Watching them back to back is also great because Hot Fuzz recreates certain scenes/jokes from Shaun of the Dead that play really well.

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    I feel like freeze-dried dog crap this morning from stayin up too late

uuuuuuuughghghghhghhg

• crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    i was up til three for some reason and woke up at 8 or so cause i'm dumb??

EzUAYcn.png
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    ..shirts?

A certain theatre is getting a phone call from me later.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    did anyone ever see nick frosts' danger, 50,000 volts

because

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnNIs4YKtZM&list=PLDEE824A87707B9F6

Beasteh on
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Caught the trilogy last night. The theater was incredibly hot for some godforsaken reason and they didn't have the cool shirts like AMCs did.
    But it was a great movie. I don't know where to place it in relation to the others this early on. Hot Fuzz always edged out Shaun a bit for me, but they're all great.
    They're just all excellently well made films.
    As soon as the start of the film recounted the original crawl you knew the new one would mirror that. What pubs they lost their friends at, where they had a big fight etc.

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    2:19 slays me

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    so hype to see this

might rewatch shaun and fuzz tonight to prepare myself

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    This is a good movie, it's quite a bit more downbeat than the other two though which made it slightly less enjoyable, even though it's probably a better constructed film.

Pegg and Frost switching roles worked well I think.

PSN- AHermano
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Hot Fuzz was pretty boring but then I hate buddy cop movies. Shaun of the Dead is the clearly superior film. Edgar Wright did some really great things in it even if you don't like zombie movies and the wrap around writing was amazingly done.

I still have hope I will like this one tho whenever it comes out on DVD.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Hot Fuzz was pretty boring but then I hate buddy cop movies.

uh
    mods???

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Saw it last night as part of the watch-the-whole-trilogy at the local theater. It has some good lines and moments, but direct comparison does not do it any favors.

HF > SOTD > TWE

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • existexist Registered User regular
    this movie had a pulp song and a housemartins song so it's better than every other movie this summer combined

UmPiq.png
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Just got back, loved this movie, took a bit longer to get going, but loved it all the same. Also I want to go to a pub and get good and drunk now.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »

Well, there is
    the entire reveal about the watch's reasons for killing so many people being ridiculous and petty instead of logical and reasonable

If you don't think that's poking fun at the genre, I think you're wrong

But it's definitely an homage as well, and clearly shows a lot of love for the movies it references, again as opposed to the Scary Movie style

Thats poking fun at small town culture

Well maybe an accurate portrayal. . .

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Lets start this thread off with some controversial opinions.

HOt Fuzz is so much better that Shaun of the dead.

While I think Hot Fuzz is a better film in a general sense, I enjoy Shaun of the Dead more and find it funnier.

Both are fucking fantastic though and I'm super excited to see The World's End when I get a chance (which might not be for a while :()

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I love the entire trilogy. I don't even feel like ranking them! They're all fantastic movies and I felt TWE was a great conclusion.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    If you don't think Hot Fuzz is a great action movie, you're objectively wrong, and that is a thing I try to avoid saying with regards to subjective things like movies

But the action doesn't even really start until the end!

Up until that point it's just some weird small-town murder mystery thing

I don't look at it as an action film at all

• ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Hot Fuzz is basically the Deadly Premonition movie

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    You guys have no idea how many times I've watched Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, and now I'm wanting to see them again.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I just skipped to the last post to say

I'MA SEE THE GODDAMN SHIT OUTTA THIS MOVIE

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    BSZlqxvCIAAo_rq.png

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    LIKE ABOUT A KAJILLION TIMES

SIMON PEGG IS MY MOVIE HUSBAND

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    I can't believe nobody's talkin about this movie when Pacific Rim got a SECOND thread,,,

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Still haven't caught those killers then

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Zay wrote: »
    I can't believe nobody's talkin about this movie when Pacific Rim got a SECOND thread,,,

Well, this movie didn't have a prequel comic book.
    Or giant robots fighting giant monsters.
    And it definitely failed to cancel the apocalypse