As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV: ARR] Old Thread. Use the New Thread!

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    How the hell could you beat FF3 in only 40m? Not to steer this too far off topic, and maybe we should take this discussion to the G&T FF thread, but holy shit, how is that even possible?

Back on topic to FF14, can someone explain to me how Retainers work? That was pretty much the very last thing I managed to unlock during P4, and I wasn't really sure what the point of it was or why I would want one.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I can't imagine beating ff4 that quickly. I would grind so hard with the twins right before becoming a paladin. I'd spend like 3 hours there alone

616610-1.png
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Community Question Time: Famous dungeons or areas you'd like to see represented in ARR.

vagrant_story_screen_01.jpg

Return to Lea Monde.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    How the hell could you beat FF3 in only 40m? Not to steer this too far off topic, and maybe we should take this discussion to the G&T FF thread, but holy shit, how is that even possible?

Back on topic to FF14, can someone explain to me how Retainers work? That was pretty much the very last thing I managed to unlock during P4, and I wasn't really sure what the point of it was or why I would want one.

Retainers are your bank/auctioneer

you can give them stuff, and they can sell it or hold onto it for you

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Retainers are used as extra storage, and allow you to sell things on the marketplace.

and the offtopic speedrun answer:
    Like most speedruns, weird glitchs are used to skip past parts of the game, or do things you can't normally do.

In the case of FF3, that fastest time is tool assisted, it's more like 1h30m on actual hardware.

http://tasvideos.org/2992S.html if your curious.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    I'd LOVE to see a floating island scenario, ripped straight from VI.

Make it a timed instance --a race start to finish-- with some sort of payoff at the end for completing it in a short enough time and "waiting for Shadow" where Shadow is a metaphor for some sort of awesome payoff at the end.

You know how in WoW they had the Amani bear runs, I'd like to see something like that in FF. Don't make it so hard that only the elite can attain it, but make it hard enough that your average group really has to push themselves if they want to accomplish it.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Guys all the raid / voice chat on the previous page scared me. I've never been a part of a guild in a game before. I usually just game with my buddies.

A couple of them are playing this with me, how will the FC deal with that? Can my buddies join up despite not being pa members?

There's 3 of us total, so clearly we need to have jolly fun times with a bigger group to get the most out of this.

But yeah, I've never "raided" before. I'm probably pretty terrible at this whole mmo thing. Please don't yell at me!

Don't feel like we're gonna eatcha, dogmatix!

Those of us who do have extensive raiding experience will come up with a thousand and one horror stories from different games and communities, but in practice PA raids tend to be pleasant affairs, because anyone who's inclined to harass people gets buried in the back with the deep crows.

Being new is totally okay, and folks will be happy to explain things that need explaining. Just ask! From the sound of it we've got some very friendly legacy people here, along with the fresh crowd.

As long as you're willing to listen and do a bit of reading when the resources are available, you can be a great raider when you get around to it. There's a lot of fun to be had in working as a team.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    tool assisted runs are basically worthless imo

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I'd LOVE to see a floating island scenario, ripped straight from VI.

Make it a timed instance --a race start to finish-- with some sort of payoff at the end for completing it in a short enough time and "waiting for Shadow" where Shadow is a metaphor for some sort of awesome payoff at the end.

You know how in WoW they had the Amani bear runs, I'd like to see something like that in FF. Don't make it so hard that only the elite can attain it, but make it hard enough that your average group really has to push themselves if they want to accomplish it.

FFXI: Chains of Promathia had a floating continent. It even had an awesome dragon battle.

I'd love to see a direct FFXI throwback, but I don't know if one area alone could satisfy that whole game.

• Options
    I never really got into XI, so I was not aware of that. I have played it, but only on a trial account from a friend. He gave me a world pass, and I got to like level 7 on a Taru Red Mage and then I was done.

I plan on remedying that during my ultimate series playthrough. I'm hoping that the price will drop on the Ultimate Seeker Edition of XI soon. I want to play it and see the story. I don't care about mastering all the professions or anything like that. I just want to absorb the world of Vana'diel and its story.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    where do I get retainers anyway? I need to sell these princess trouts to cooks

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    where do I get retainers anyway? I need to sell these princess trouts to cooks

Quest unlock like most in this game heh.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    well yeah, but where. or is it a story quest because I stopped at copperbell cause I was level capped

Jars on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    well yeah, but where. or is it a story quest because I stopped at copperbell cause I was level capped

finish the missions for the dungeons and you get retainers.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular

Which I still have to do. I am just at the second dungeon in the story so got that and the lasts one. Definitely plan on having 20+ on my CNJ by lunch. Heheeh.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    Radiant OctaveRadiant Octave Registered User regular
    G'night sexy people. It's 9:34 here you silly West Coasters, and yes after being up for 18h and 36m I am tired... See you all in the morning.

• Options
    mori1972mori1972 FF14: Rhotfyr Thosinmharsyn (Y)UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Blergh. Stupid can't sleep moments.

Lets me catch up on the postings while I've been semi dozing though, so yay.

Had no idea that Roegadyn were low down on the list of 'likely to be played' races though, so I guess that's good for any 'unique little snowflake' moments I might get :D

Holding fire on registering my presence on the Ghost website though until I know that I've made it in to Sargatanas

mori1972 on
    It's all saltwater these days:
    Ocean, tears and heartbreak soup
    Half alive in a whitecap foam
    Half in love with a white half moon
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Almost bedtime for me as well, going to try and get to sleep at like 9:30pm, so I can wake up at around 5-5:30am, which is a few hours after the launch. Hopefully the servers will be fine.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    True story: Voice chat is useless to me during raids because I'm too busy serenading myself with the CrackOOOOOOM from Omen.

;)

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    I just realized that I've been sitting here, slowly nursing a coffee, which is likely to keep my up later. This is counter productive to me wanting to go to bed early so I can get up early and plaaaaaayyyyyy.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I'm way too awake right now that even a full dose of ambien probably wouldn't knock me out; even if I wanted to sleep now and play when servers go live.

Plus I'd hate to do something so drastic and have server problems anyway. :rotate:

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I'm on all night programming/build assist duty tonight.

I kind of accidentally volunteered because I said that I was staying up anyways to play FFXIV on release.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    I am here in bed trying to sleep but... Yeah.

So I will listen to some Witty Wizard podcasts instead.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Here's a spreadsheet I made with all the food effects organized. Also each chef tool's level and all fish used in cooking.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvWTiTvRintgdDR0aXFESXROSzl4OUtqdFVDbW1aMHc#gid=0

Arden Canelo on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Ah yes, Error Code 3, my ancient nemesis.

It was my nemesis too until I went into my account profile and filled in a couple missing fields (first name, last name). Try that and see if it helps.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    My Gender does appear to be Other. I don't know whether to be insulted or not. At least I don't think my name is Chelsea.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    So it's my understanding that purchasing the game through the psn is automatic early access, yes? I definitely didn't receive or see a code of any kind.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    Sorry, out on the town atm. All folks are welcome to the FC! We are PA centric but all are welcome.

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    RaidCall just went kaput

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    well looks like I wont be playing early access on account of all this region locking, pre order code, error 3 business

square enix really doesn't have a very good system in place

and their customer support is horrendous

PoolCue on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Huh, I've been getting Error 3's all night, but just looked in my profile and it's showing the game as being registered.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
  • Options
    Fairchild wrote: »
    My Gender does appear to be Other. I don't know whether to be insulted or not. At least I don't think my name is Chelsea.

I'm absolutely certain you should not be insulted

I'm also pretty certain you know your own name

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    MenasorMenasor Registered User regular
    So close... so very close... to conquest.

Destiny PS4: Earthen1
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Going to bed. Can't guarantee I'll be up in 4 hours, but gonna try. Regardless, getting up early.

See you gents in game soon!

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Hearing Blue Fields routinely played on Salty Bet helped me gain a new appreciation for FFVIII's world map theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np2uGeCMBwM

How feasible/difficult would it be for someone to come up with an in-game music player? I'm hoping I can eventually play my own custom FF songs in the game.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Progress, of a sort. We now have the eternally spinning Square. I think I'll name it Enix. Or Chelsea.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Welp, looks like I'm not getting any sleep tonight anyway. This may be a good thing since I can jump on right away.

This discussion has been closed.