As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV: ARR] Old Thread. Use the New Thread!

• JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Jakarrd wrote: »
    And that's just typically produces

e.g. Carpenters can produce macahuitl, which are Gladiator arms

Yeup. You'd have to do a search of the relevant DoH class to see what recipes they have and what you'd want crafted. I'm mainly worrying about weaving, leatherworking, carpentry, and goldsmithing at this point.

worrying how?

as in what to focus on. Otherwise I start to hop skip around too much.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Someone give me a step by step guide to using raidcall?

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I was talking about this in raidcall, the boss of the first dungeon is, refreshingly, not a cakewalk tank-and-spank. He requires a decent amount of coordination by your group, and knowledge of the mechanic.

I've been enjoying it as well.

In fact one of the bosses in Copperbell threw me for a loop because it required some outside the box thinking so early on.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    Pretty much my sig. Once you dl the client and search our group just apply to join (should be next to the policeman icon) say ffvix pa or something In the app. I wont be on till 8pm but there should be several admins on now.

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
    Axen wrote: »
    I was talking about this in raidcall, the boss of the first dungeon is, refreshingly, not a cakewalk tank-and-spank. He requires a decent amount of coordination by your group, and knowledge of the mechanic.

In fact one of the bosses in Copperbell threw me for a loop because it required some outside the box thinking so early on.

The slime? yeah, I've seen that one as far as splitting but how you deal with 'em was interesting. Caused an arcanist in my group to wipe, hahah.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    @jdmichal, I can't seem to put up Elm stuff on the crafting site.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I've been leveling Blacksmith, and they also make most of the tools (the crafting "weapons") for the other crafting classes.

Yeah

Blacksmiths make main tools for Carpentry, Goldsmithing, Blacksmithing, Armorsmithing, and Leatherworking

Armorsmiths make Culinarian and Alchemist main tools while Goldsmiths make Weaver needles

fuck gendered marketing
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Axen wrote: »

Yeah, Copperbell has a lot higher attention requirement for its bosses.

The Ooze one we did without the tank because he was an idiot, wouldn't pull the boss where he was supposed to and eventually got blown up by a bomb; I just healed the ACN who would summon and not kill the bombs (the PUG wouldn't stop killing them).

Then the last boss was another clusterfuck on the tanks behalf, completely not picking up the adds when they spawned and refusing to tank the boss anywhere near where the adds spawned or ran to, and made the whole thing way harder than it needed to be.

I'm a fan of the bosses requiring attention to mechanics, but it'll be a bit still, I think, before the playerbase realizes that, hey, trying to faceroll is just gonna waste everyones time.

Though, the boss of the first dungeon, Sastasha or whatever, you can do it 'right', but the adds are so weak that it's trivial to just pick them up and keep wailing on the boss.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• OtakingOtaking Registered User regular
    Bluecyan wrote: »
    Fun game so far despite some annoying bugs. I like that you can get exp and kill credit if you help out random people, it really adds to the sense of community. Never played GW2 which I imagine is similar, so I'm used to having to fight over quest monsters which is usually really bad opening day. Still seeing some of that with a few monsters with low spawn rates though. FATEs are fun, though a little plain at least at low level.

I really like the way class swapping is handled, removes so much of the finickiness from FFXI. Combined with the well done armory and no vendor trash the inventory is so easy to work with. Not sure if it'll stay that way at higher level with equipment sets from 10 different classes at various levels, but its nice not to have to worry about bag space. Professions as classes is a little weird but I didn't get to play around much with that before maintenance.

Combat is quick, interactive and fun, which is great. I'm glad the global cool down is so low, means less waiting patiently for my next attack. I haven't felt compelled to auto-attack once. Only real complaint is its a little easy, but I'm sure that will change.

Only real problem I've had so far is my level 5 story quest bugged out and I couldn't join an instance which meant I leveled purely from town quests which I guess is a bad idea since it makes things harder on the 2nd class. I'm also sure I'm missing some game features that get unlocked by the story chain. Finished off at Archer level 12 so I figure I'll continue the story quest as another class, probably Lancer. Which class is supposed to unlock Bard now, still Conjurer?

Haven't seen linkshell, Free Company, Airship or Auction house stuff yet.

I had the same problem. I got the level 5 quest done at 12 right before they took the servers down just now and a bunch of followups for it. The main thing I'm missing is levequests, not sure if they will unlock off that chain or at 15.

edited August 2013
    oy.

All the numbers on my lodestone page.

I need them all to say 50.

All of them.

EDIT: I'm considering questing on THM up to 30, then switching back to GLD which I haven't touched since 1.0 and just going forward as a PLD (assuming CNJ is still the secondary for PLD).

I'm enjoying the caster game, but just dunno; I'm a tank by nature in MMO's. I enjoyed healing on CNJ in the dungeons so I dunno.

I just want to do everything, basically.

The Dude With Herpes on

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Levequests should unlock around level 10 during the main story questline.

steam_sig.png
    And that's just typically produces

e.g. Carpenters can produce macahuitl, which are Gladiator arms

Yeup. You'd have to do a search of the relevant DoH class to see what recipes they have and what you'd want crafted. I'm mainly worrying about weaving, leatherworking, carpentry, and goldsmithing at this point.

worrying how?

as in what to focus on. Otherwise I start to hop skip around too much.

Ah

I plan on focusing on Armorsmith, Weaver, and Goldsmithing personally.

Almost certainly going to end up doing Carpenter, Leatherworker, and Alchemist to a modest level for the skills though

fuck gendered marketing
  • kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    For any aspiring armorsmiths out there, don't be an idiot like I was.

If you get levequests that tell you to make a BRONZE Shield or a BRASS alchemistwhateverit'scalled and you don't see it in your crafting log... just go ahead and scroll down on the third tier of recipes...

I must have read over those recipes 20 times trying to find it and spent half an hour looking online for how the hell to make these. Didn't even notice I could scroll down.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Thinking it over, I think I'll be focusing primarily on Blacksmithing.

I like the idea of being in charge of crafting weapons for the FC chest. Regardless of level, everyone could use a good ax or sword, right?

Armorcrafting is basically the same thing, so I'll probably make that secondary.

edited August 2013
    kriegs wrote: »
    For any aspiring armorsmiths out there, don't be an idiot like I was.

If you get levequests that tell you to make a BRONZE Shield or a BRASS alchemistwhateverit'scalled and you don't see it in your crafting log... just go ahead and scroll down on the third tier of recipes...

I must have read over those recipes 20 times trying to find it and spent half an hour looking online for how the hell to make these. Didn't even notice I could scroll down.

Don't feel too bad, there's plenty of dumber stuff people will undoubtedly hit their heads over.

I guarantee the "Face Me" quest will be among the most common for new players.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • jdmichaljdmichal Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Skeith wrote: »
    @jdmichal, I can't seem to put up Elm stuff on the crafting site.

Yea... Looks like it grabs all the "Helm" items. I only pull the first page of results from XIVDB.com on searches. They don't offer an API so I have to scrape the page instead. (Not ideal.)

I just pushed an update to enable searching by IDs. If you ever get stuck finding an item, just go to http://xivdb.com and find the item there. The URL will be something like http://xivdb.com/?item/5385/Elm-Log. Just take that number part (5385) and plug it into the search box and it should find it.

jdmichal on
    XBox Live: KillerCodeMonky | Steam: KillerCodeMonky
    SC2: KillerCodeMk | LoL: KillerCodeMonky | FFXIV: Shea Demvas (Sargantas)
    Ghost in the Linkshell Item Requisitioning
    Let me know you are from PA, otherwise I will likely ignore you.
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Isn't there some thing in this where the difference between your current class's level and your top class's level turns into an xp bonus? It's based on this that I've been sticking to one class

That and no story quests thanks to instances making me 18 and no airship yet

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    For the crafting classes, are materials readily accessible enough to level without also leveling a gathering class at the same time?

Alternately, I seem to recall in 1.0 crafting leves straight up gave you all required materials.

I guess that would be a good way to burn through my leves.

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Isn't there some thing in this where the difference between your current class's level and your top class's level turns into an xp bonus? It's based on this that I've been sticking to one class

Yeah, the bonus is supposed to be pretty big. Someone in the FC mentioned that they got a level after killing 2 mobs or something crazy like that. Completing a hunting log would probably bring you close to 15 if not past it.

aTBDrQE.jpg
    edited August 2013
    Skeith wrote: »
    BlueBlue wrote: »

Yeah, the bonus is supposed to be pretty big. Someone in the FC mentioned that they got a level after killing 2 mobs or something crazy like that. Completing a hunting log would probably bring you close to 15 if not past it.

That would be me, although I also had the week-long rest bonus for logging out in my Inn before Phase 4 ended.

I believe I was getting something like 150-180% once I ventured out.

Professor Snugglesworth on
    For the crafting classes, are materials readily accessible enough to level without also leveling a gathering class at the same time?

Alternately, I seem to recall in 1.0 crafting leves straight up gave you all required materials.

you can buy all the materials necessary to about level 15 from vendors

in beta crafting leves didn't give you materials except as a possible reward

fuck gendered marketing

Up to at least level 15 you should be able to buy all the items you need from the guild supplier or the shops in town. After that I am not sure what items you will need that you can not normally by.

So you won't need to level a gather class if you plan on getting to level 15 and stop. If you go past, you'll need to either do the gathering or start working out with someone so they can get you the items that you can't buy, pretty much

76561197990097905.png
  • mori1972mori1972 FF14: Rhotfyr Thosinmharsyn (Y)UKRegistered User regular
    jdmichal wrote: »
    OK, looks like the DNS propagation is done.

NEW FC ITEM REQUISITIONING SITE IS UP!

http://ghosts.codechaos.me

Register an account, create a character, and start entering item requests!

EDIT: And I promise it can handle the early access rush ;)

Awesome! One small snag: the character name field doesn't have enough characters for the last letter of my surname. Silly Roegadyn Old Tongue longness

It's all saltwater these days:
    Ocean, tears and heartbreak soup
    Half alive in a whitecap foam
    Half in love with a white half moon
    edited August 2013

you can buy all the materials necessary to about level 15 from vendors

in beta crafting leves didn't give you materials except as a possible reward

Oh, well, that's disappointing. I guess I'll do Mining or something, or just use the Market.

The Dude With Herpes on

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    When I had Conjurer at 20, I was getting like 50% experience bonus to kills on a new class. Presumably that would be higher if the level difference was greater.

As far as leveling crafting, there is a vendor near the guild master that sells the basic crafting materials, at least for low level things. The shards are not for sale there, though you get a bunch from the quests the guild master gives you if I remember right.

steam_sig.png
    chrisnl wrote: »
    When I had Conjurer at 20, I was getting like 50% experience bonus to kills on a new class. Presumably that would be higher if the level difference was greater.

As far as leveling crafting, there is a vendor near the guild master that sells the basic crafting materials, at least for low level things. The shards are not for sale there, though you get a bunch from the quests the guild master gives you if I remember right.

They massively increased the number of shards you get from crafting guilds quests in beta 4 (like ten times as many)

fuck gendered marketing
    chrisnl wrote: »

The little tooltip/tutorial thing said it is greater the higher disparity; but with a 30GLD my CNJ was still only getting +50%.

Though, weirdly, I never got any bonus on THM.

I wonder if it's because I haven't turned into a GLD since Phase 4 started. Maybe I should just switch for a sec and see if that gives me a bigger bonus.

You know, if I could play. :P

• KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Yes, I'm fairly certain it's a base 50% bonus. It doesn't make a difference how far apart the classes are. I may be wrong, but I haven't seen it change.

Yeah, it may just be a flat 50%, but it most definitely tells you that it increases the greater disparity.

• AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    So I didn't see any posts about it, but are the servers down for everyone (I'm assuming for the Duty fix) or am I having a client issue?

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
    Aumni wrote: »
    So I didn't see any posts about it, but are the servers down for everyone (I'm assuming for the Duty fix) or am I having a client issue?

Nope, just you.

Everyone else is playing and having a grand time. All of us.

Except you.

Only you.

Servers are down for maintenance yes

fuck gendered marketing

You know, if I could play. :P

I'm sitting here praying that the servers will magically come back an hour earlier then what they listed.

I don't think I can really find anything that will help pass the time from then to now.

• AumniAumni Registered User regular

Nope, just you.

Everyone else is playing and having a grand time. All of us.

Except you.

Only you.

I thought so. My mom told me I was special.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I have to stop being such a selfish meany. I had real life stuff to do and found out the servers were still down and thought "oh great I didn't miss any play time!"

But I should have been mourning all the play time everyone else has missed!

616610-1.png
  • GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    SERVERS! I NEED YOU! PLEASE!

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    So, I like the level 15 armor set I picked up out of Limsa, except for the fact that I'm obviously weaving Levi Jeans underneath my plate.
    ffxiv_08242013_102718.jpg

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    Up? Maybe? I'm in a queue

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • jdmichaljdmichal Registered User regular
    mori1972 wrote: »
    jdmichal wrote: »
    OK, looks like the DNS propagation is done.

NEW FC ITEM REQUISITIONING SITE IS UP!

http://ghosts.codechaos.me

Register an account, create a character, and start entering item requests!

EDIT: And I promise it can handle the early access rush ;)

Awesome! One small snag: the character name field doesn't have enough characters for the last letter of my surname. Silly Roegadyn Old Tongue longness

Oops! Looks like they increased the name limits from 1.0. Just patched it up to the new 15 character maximum per name.

XBox Live: KillerCodeMonky | Steam: KillerCodeMonky
    SC2: KillerCodeMk | LoL: KillerCodeMonky | FFXIV: Shea Demvas (Sargantas)
    Ghost in the Linkshell Item Requisitioning
    Let me know you are from PA, otherwise I will likely ignore you.
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Servers up. Woowoo.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
This discussion has been closed.