As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hail to the King at The World's End

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    MrDapper wrote: »
    BSZlqxvCIAAo_rq.png

uncanny

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I loved this movie, i think it might be my favorite one.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    bale and I fucking lost it in the
    first fight scene where Nick Frost does two wrestling moves in a row to kill the teenage robots, the entire theater was losing its mind

Langly on
  • Options
    Aaaahhhh goddammit I need to see this
    maybe a matinee tomorrow

• Options
    it is so, so good.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    I've said it before

What makes both movies great is that they are both excellent parodies while simultaneously being excellent examples of the genre they parody

Unlike, say, the Scary Movie ilk which are just parodies that go for laughs with their references, the Cornetto movies are homages and play it straight well enough to do both jobs

If you don't think Hot Fuzz is a great action movie, you're objectively wrong, and that is a thing I try to avoid saying with regards to subjective things like movies

One of my favorite things about Hot Fuzz is how it surfaces just how similar the relationship beats are structured in a buddy cop movie to a romantic comedy.

Nick and Danny bonding while watching movies on the couch, Nick winning him the stuffed animal at the fair, and then Danny running away from him in the rain. That may as well be Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks in those roles.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    you said you can't turn it off!

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    yes thank you langly

this movie is REALLY GOOD you guys I think it is probably the best I've seen all year

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Saw it earlier tonight. I liked it a lot, but there were moments from Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz that really lodged in my memory. I'm not sure this movie had anything quite the same, though it's a little soon to say.

One thing I thought was interesting was the pacing. In SotD, the first third (maybe a bit less) of the movie is setup, with little hints that the zombies are coming. Hot Fuzz is almost all setup, with the first two thirds being a murder mystery, all building up to the final twenty minutes of the film where all hell breaks loose.
    The World's End, though, is divided pretty much right down the middle. There's some buildup, but the first robot fight seemed to be about halfway into the movie.

• Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    So

TWE > HF > SotD

I've seen Shaun of the Dead once.

I've seen Hot Fuzz... uh... at least four times (which is very unusual for me). Every time I've seen it it's been better than the last; I get jokes and stuff I didn't get the previous times

Continuing this trend, I will have to see The World's End at least 16 times now

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I just came back from seeing it. I loved it!
    Fight scenes were really well done! But damn, I didn't see that ending coming.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Caedere wrote: »
    So

TWE > HF > SotD

I've seen Shaun of the Dead once.

I've seen Hot Fuzz... uh... at least four times (which is very unusual for me). Every time I've seen it it's been better than the last; I get jokes and stuff I didn't get the previous times

Continuing this trend, I will have to see The World's End at least 16 times now

I would highly recommend rewatching Shaun a few times, there are a ton of subtle jokes you pick up on rewatching.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Seeing this movie was a pretty good way to finish my birthday.

Also it was fun to realize that, having eaten a 3 Musketeers Bar before going out to do stuff today, I kinda-sorta bookended it. In a weird little way.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Stunts were coordinated by Brad Allen of martial arts film director Jackie Chan's team. Wright said: "In [Chan film] Drunken Master, Jackie Chan has to get drunk to fight, but this is more the idea of Dutch courage. You know, when you're kind of drunk and you think 'ah, I can climb up that scaffolding!' Or just that you're impervious to pain. One of the things we talked about is this idea that [the characters] become better fighters the more oiled they get."

Brad Allen, aka this guy fighting Jackie Chan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EECJepgBEkk

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Just saw this today and I LOVED LOVED LOVED it!

I just gotta share something that I just realized while mulling the movie around in my head.
    The different names of the pubs correspond to the story beats.

First Post: First stop on their epic journey.
    Old Familiar: They see the crazy guy.
    The Famous Cock: Gary is banned for life from that pub for being a...
    The Cross Hands: Not entirely sure what crossing hands means but it could mean either banding together in the face of a threat or initiating their first fight with the robots or "crossing hands" with them.
    Good Companions: They're all playing the part of the townspeople to blend in and being the good companions.
    The Trusty Servant: They run into Reverend Green who's a...
    The Two-headed Dog: The twins.
    The Mermaid: What did the mermaids from old sailor's tales actually do? Seduce sailors and then drag them under.
    The Beehive: The true nature of the robots are revealed.
    The King's Head: Not sure how this relates to the story beat. Probably something to do with British history I'm unfamiliar with.
    The Hole in the Wall: What does Steven do with the Beast when he's trying to get them out?

And I think the last two pubs are self-explanatory.

Okay whew that's out of my system.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Just saw this today and I LOVED LOVED LOVED it!

I just gotta share something that I just realized while mulling the movie around in my head.
    The different names of the pubs correspond to the story beats.

First Post: First stop on their epic journey.
    Old Familiar: They see the crazy guy.
    The Famous Cock: Gary is banned for life from that pub for being a...
    The Cross Hands: Not entirely sure what crossing hands means but it could mean either banding together in the face of a threat or initiating their first fight with the robots or "crossing hands" with them.
    Good Companions: They're all playing the part of the townspeople to blend in and being the good companions.
    The Trusty Servant: They run into Reverend Green who's a...
    The Two-headed Dog: The twins.
    The Mermaid: What did the mermaids from old sailor's tales actually do? Seduce sailors and then drag them under.
    The Beehive: The true nature of the robots are revealed.
    The King's Head: Not sure how this relates to the story beat. Probably something to do with British history I'm unfamiliar with.
    The Hole in the Wall: What does Steven do with the Beast when he's trying to get them out?

And I think the last two pubs are self-explanatory.

Okay whew that's out of my system.

The Kings Head is
    where Gary King has his epiphany

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Aw man I had no idea this even existed. And I just started rewatching Spaced last night.

Which is better than either of the films I've seen. Though I do adore them both.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Stunts were coordinated by Brad Allen of martial arts film director Jackie Chan's team. Wright said: "In [Chan film] Drunken Master, Jackie Chan has to get drunk to fight, but this is more the idea of Dutch courage. You know, when you're kind of drunk and you think 'ah, I can climb up that scaffolding!' Or just that you're impervious to pain. One of the things we talked about is this idea that [the characters] become better fighters the more oiled they get."

Hakan???

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I'm going to be out of town all week for work, maybe some night I can hopefully sneak away and see this.

For podcast fans Nick Frost, Simon Pegg, and Edgar Wright are all on an episode of "Doug Loves Movies" this week.

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    They're also on Comedy Bang Bang and it is pretty spectacular

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    This movie was so friggin' good

Also I encourage everybody to read/think about the Ship of Theseus paradox as it relates to growing older and maturing, and then think of how many instances of it pop up in the movie.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Oh, and then ponder on the Hobbes corollary to the paradox, in regards to

(huuuuge ending spoilers)
    The blanks re-awakening

• Options
    Oh, and then ponder on the Hobbes corollary to the paradox, in regards to

(huuuuge ending spoilers)
    The blanks re-awakening

I never thought about that before, but now I realise its telegraphed at the beginning during
    Gary telling the group about how the car is still the same.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Seeing this today, can't wait.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I didn't even know this movie existed. That's a pleasant surprise!

I will see it soon. I really enjoyed Shaun of the Dead and I adored Hot Fuzz

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I'm really surprised so many people love Hot Fuzz, since half of the movie is parodying a British TV show called 'Midsomer Murders', it never seemed to me like it would be successful internationally.

• Options
    Hot Fuzz is one of my favorite comedies of all time, even bereft of all British cultural context

Just the play off of American expectations is so masterful when
    The final act of the movie is so incredibly violent but our heroes never kill anyone, even when each bad guy is injured in a way that seems like it should kill them in a thriller movie

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    'This.... really.... huuurts'

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »
    I'm really surprised so many people love Hot Fuzz, since half of the movie is parodying a British TV show called 'Midsomer Murders', it never seemed to me like it would be successful internationally.

Its not like the subject matter is something exclusive to Britain. The fish out of water cop and small town with a dark secret are universal concpets.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Regarding Hot Fuzz I wish they had given Paddy Considine more to do in that film. Guy is absolutely fucking terrifying when he wants to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58ylrJ0cH2w

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Love that this continues the tradition to have a speech that spells out the plot of the movie. This time it's the description of the original night.

They have a fight at The Cross Hands
    They lose Oliver at the Trusty Servant
    They send Sam off after the Mermaid.
    They leave Peter in the woods.
    Gary gives up after The Beehive (meaning he no longer cares what happens to himself).
    Then they end the night sitting on the hill watching a new dawn.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Also awesome callbacks.
    Andy described real courage as going into a bar full of rugby fan meatheads with their faces covered in warpaint and ordering a tap water.

What does Gary do at the end of the film?

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Saw it. Loved it. Better than Shaun of the Dead, though maybe not as good as Hot Fuzz.

Serious end spoilers:
    I would not have loved the ending nearly as much if they hadn't destroyed the world by being belligerent drunks that refused to compromise, that was fantastic

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »

I'm an American and I've watched every episode of that show

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    this movie was so fucking good

also, man, Edgar Wright's action scenes have really come into their own, lots of Scott Pilgrim-esque fluidity but it looked way more natural here

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    So, rewatching Spaced, which I love but haven't seen in ages. Surprised to hear them using the t-word which I didn't remember.

Why can't the things I love be flawless?

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I think I mentioned it before but the amazing thing about the ending
    is what it means for Gary and the rest of the world

He was the guy who never grew up, never changed, never had a better night or a reason to live

And even at the end he was so fixed as a person that he literally forced the world around him to change in order to give himself a purpose in life

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Just....fuck it.

• Options
    This was SO GOOD

• Options
    How much is this place up for?

1.2 million.

FUCK OFF