As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV:ARR] Servers Up!, and surprisingly stable! 7 free days starting 9/4/13

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    How is it that Japan servers don't seem to have issues?

All hail glorious Nippon and their servers of unobtanium. I blame those smelly Europeans for not being able to keep their servers up.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    Damn people are already hitting level 30? I gotta step it up. I been switching back and forth between ACN and CNJ and it's probably hurting me in the long run.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    I can't wait to play Tuesday so my dude can stop looking like this...
    iL7pUEa.png

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    How is it that Japan servers don't seem to have issues?

Because.
    ZefiCcB.jpg

In all seriousness, probably because we outnumber the Japanese players by a huge amount.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    FFXIV: A Maintenance Reborn

Heh, though in truth I've been having a ridiculous amount of fun when the servers are actually up and running.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    It is an amazing game. And it's not like we didn't some of this maintenance coming...some.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    While it does seem likely that NA players would outnumber JP players, that does raise the question of why the JP players get more servers then NA players.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    because SE is a Japanese company and they like Japan better.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    And I would cancel and order through GMG, as @Arthil and others suggested...but I can't even look up my order to cancel it now!

I used amazon myself so I don't have personal experience, but I feel like I had read a couple of cases of people having problems with digital river or whatever so you may be able to find cases of people working their stuff out and the how to do it.

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    It's actually equal. Japanese server number = NA+EU server number.

Which doesn't make sense when you look at population.

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Also, its 1 in the morning in Tokyo right now, so most of the population is asleep.

Bleeding casuals.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    It might have something to do with Japan having a 10th of the population vs the US/EU. (130ish million vs over a billion). I believe other MMO launches have had the same issues, the influx of new players who never touched beta just tends to be astronomically higher on this half of the planet and nobody really knows how to compensate for the tidal wave.

Blood Drive on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    The problem isn't that people don't know how to compensate, it's that compensating for it is rarely efficient money wise. You build enough servers to support the initial launch rush of X players, and by the end of the free month a huge chunk of them are gone and you're down to Y players and wayyyy too much hardware. Then you go in to server consolidation land, which from a perception point of view is MMO death (even when it really isn't).

This is why if I ever built an MMO, i would use a service like Amazon EC2 to have a completely elastic server farm. I would have the ability to add and remove processing power as I needed it, as the player population expanded and contracted.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    The world servers have seemed pretty rock solid so far, but with the duty-finder doing its cross-server thing, that has had problems. I wonder how many of the issues stem from that cross-server capability (or lack thereof) more than the individual server load.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It might have something to do with Japan having a 10th of the population vs the US/EU. (130ish million vs over a billion). I believe other MMO launches have had the same issues, the influx of new players who never touched beta just tends to be astronomically higher on this half of the planet and nobody really knows how to compensate for the tidal wave.

Shell?

Defend command?

• Options
    OtakingOtaking Registered User regular

Shell?

Defend command?

Slow.

Stop.

Gil Toss.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Guys I can't get over how awesome Carbuncle is.

It is basically a honey badger with a flashlight strapped to it's head.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Tridus1x wrote: »
    Damn people are already hitting level 30? I gotta step it up. I been switching back and forth between ACN and CNJ and it's probably hurting me in the long run.
    You have to mentally throw out people who played 1.0, because people like Greg have basically a permanent +50% XP bonus from having a higher level character. Once I realized who it was saying they hit 30, I realized I wasn't hilariously falling behind like I thought.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular

I guess they didn't learn anything from 2011! :O

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    you could rent servers for release instead of buying them since you would only need them for a month

• Options
    Jars wrote: »
    you could rent servers for release instead of buying them since you would only need them for a month

You'd still end up with server consolidation at that point. This is why I think MMO makers are silly not to use an elastic cloud of some sort. Not sure why no MMO has done it yet. Maybe some are and I'm not aware of it (WildStar maybe? They seem to be embracing some pretty new school ways of thinking about their backend from what I've read).

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Jars wrote: »

You'd still end up with server consolidation at that point. This is why I think MMO makers are silly not to use an elastic cloud of some sort. Not sure why no MMO has done it yet. Maybe some are and I'm not aware of it (WildStar maybe? They seem to be embracing some pretty new school ways of thinking about their backend from what I've read).

You only end up with server consolidation if logical and physical servers are identical. If you can just add server boxes to increase the capacity of the logical server temporarily, then you don't need to consolidate.

Edit: Server is an awful word here, since it doesn't have to be a physical server box.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Servers up.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    DesmondPfeifferDesmondPfeiffer The secret diary of- Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    I can't wait to play Tuesday so my dude can stop looking like this...
    iL7pUEa.png

Unfortunately it's- it's terminal. You'll always look like a Lala. I'm sorry.

:p

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Well, now I"m getting a "World is full. Please try again later" with error 1017.

What's the point of the queue system if they aren't going to let me sit in a queue?

• Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    not even a queue. This is stupid as hell now. At least be consistent Square.

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    Getting the same thing. Frustration!

• Options
    HotcookieHotcookie Registered User regular
    Ok all hail GreenManGaming. I read the Ts and Cs of SE's store. You can cancel in a 14 day cooling off any product that you don't use the codes for and as they haven't sent me out any codes I'm firmly in that camp.

So I emailed them using the link at the bottom of my order confirmation email. Whether that works or not isn't the end of the world because I can call them Tuesday and solidify my cancellation.

In the mean time I've ordered the digital collectors edition from GMG who delivered my pre order code immedietely which worked when input and dished me out an early access code straight away. Now I just have to kill another hour at work and I can hit this up. That is provided the servers are still up in an hour.

Anyway I appreciate this info is utterly useless to most of you but I think i saw a few people talking about no codes so thought Id share this experience!

• Options
    I am beyond unamused now....

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Never thought I'd be thinking 'damn it, why am I not in a queue?'

• Options
    Hotcookie wrote: »
    Ok all hail GreenManGaming. I read the Ts and Cs of SE's store. You can cancel in a 14 day cooling off any product that you don't use the codes for and as they haven't sent me out any codes I'm firmly in that camp.

So I emailed them using the link at the bottom of my order confirmation email. Whether that works or not isn't the end of the world because I can call them Tuesday and solidify my cancellation.

In the mean time I've ordered the digital collectors edition from GMG who delivered my pre order code immedietely which worked when input and dished me out an early access code straight away. Now I just have to kill another hour at work and I can hit this up. That is provided the servers are still up in an hour.

Anyway I appreciate this info is utterly useless to most of you but I think i saw a few people talking about no codes so thought Id share this experience!

Yes, I am going to do the same thing at some point. Waiting for Digital River to do their backend maintenance so I can start the cancel. Once the cancel is going, I'll order from GMG.

• Options
    I don't know shit about servers and coding and blah blah. But they always say they'll be down for 2-3 hours and then at about the hour and a half mark the servers are back up. Don't know if it would help, but they shouldn't be in such a rush. You blocked out the time, use it a little you know. It doesn't help to say you're down for 3, then bring it up only for it to go down again immediately.

• Options
    and now the server list is gone.

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    It's just a giant troll.

"Oh you guys hate Lightning and XIII? Cool, we're gonna make a game you WANT to play and keep shutting the servers down!"

"How do you guys feel about Lightning NOW?"

Honestly this wouldn't be so bad if the game wasn't soooooo good.

• Options
    oh thats because the servers are now under maintenance according to the launcher even though I am talking to people playing right now.

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    Grove wrote: »
    It's just a giant troll.

"Oh you guys hate Lightning and XIII? Cool, we're gonna make a game you WANT to play and keep shutting the servers down!"

Do you think if I promise to buy FFXIII and Lightning Returns they will fix the servers? :(

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    Wooden SpoonWooden Spoon Great for SaucesRegistered User regular
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    It's just a giant troll.

Do you think if I promise to buy FFXIII and Lightning Returns they will fix the servers? :(

You also have to promise to love Lightning.

FFXIV:Iadrich Loffel
    Wooden Spoon on Steam
    3DS: 1005-8709-0277
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Square, come on, I don't even need duty servers or instances or any of that stuff.

I will play this shit like it is Ragnarok Online.

Just let me on the damn server.

• Options
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    It's just a giant troll.

You also have to promise to love Lightning.

I promise! I will even put up a Lightning poster and tell it good night every night if they make the servers work.

Steam
  • Options
    mori1972mori1972 FF14: Rhotfyr Thosinmharsyn (Y)UKRegistered User regular
    I'm now enjoying the massive tease that is the Gridania watercolour loading screen.

I don't think I've ever quite felt like a game is being a PT before, but my gods FFXIV is really starting to feel that way.

I just want to play! Until my eyes bleed!

Is that really so much to ask?

It's all saltwater these days:
    Ocean, tears and heartbreak soup
    Half alive in a whitecap foam
    Half in love with a white half moon
This discussion has been closed.