As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Sixth Annual Drinking Tournament Part 1 (Official Thread!)

• Jaym4nJaym4n Registered User regular
    Bau5 wrote: »
    TAKEN :D
    Super excited to be joining the Slytherin DEs this year for my first PAX. I look forward to bringing great honor to the name of Salazar Slytherin. :D

PAX SOUTH 2017 Preparedness:
    [E] Passes [X] Hotel [X] Flight [ ] Waiting Patiently
    mHCQED9.png
  • SaxicideSaxicide Registered User regular
    Ravenclaw DE Head Girl, reporting for duty!

• UnfetteredUnfettered Registered User regular
    Hufflepuff DE Head "Girl", ready to need phone GPS to walk 3 blocks.

Hufflepuff DE - HoH - Huffledrunk 4 Lyf!

RIP: uncomfortably hot tire vest

u want destiny raid? We be raidin'! XBL: Unfettered
  • SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »
    The routes haven't been released yet.

No they have not...
    *crickets*

Thanks for letting us know.

qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • AylaviereAylaviere Overlord Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Gryffindor DE is in need of a head girl and a house elf! Please send me a message if you are interested. Thanks!

Aylaviere on
    East 2015: Hostel/Hotel [✓] Time Off [✓] 3 Day Pass [✓] Pokecrawl [ ]
  • bloatedhippobloatedhippo Registered User regular
    I am now officially a Slytherin Death Eater.

Because I checked the page and there were 2 tickets available...

I got one, someone better go get the other one fast! ;)

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    This will be my first year, so feel free to tell me if this is a crazy suggestion. I was looking at the threads from previous years. And notices a number of posts about people needing help to get back to their rooms. Would it be a good idea to, at the start of the night, have each person write their hotel and room number on a card to keep in their pocket?

• industrialgirlindustrialgirl Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    So bummed I was there at the First Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament and was one of the only girls to finish, and had to lead people to the bars cause it's always held in my hood...and now for the life of me, I can't get a ticket to this year. :( Awesome to see this thing has grown so much and last year was really well organized with the houses. I guess it's a little bitter sweet to think back to when there were NO houses (although we still had to break into 2 groups cause we were so large). I even took friday off work to do this, but I guess I'll finally be able to get to PAX a bit early in the afternoon, instead of being totally hungover. Guess every cloud has a silver lining!

industrialgirl on
  • stabn_stabn_ Registered User regular
    If you are willing to volunteer Gryffindor DE was recently looking for a head girl. I'm guessing you wouldn't want to be house elf ;). It isn't slytherin but you'd still have a great time i'm sure!

Slytherin Headboy: Order of the Phoenix!
  • valdorvaldor Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    This will be my first year, so feel free to tell me if this is a crazy suggestion. I was looking at the threads from previous years. And notices a number of posts about people needing help to get back to their rooms. Would it be a good idea to, at the start of the night, have each person write their hotel and room number on a card to keep in their pocket?

Either this or let the Head Boy/Girl have that information to help out. Maybe talk with your fellow House members to see if anyone is going to the same area. There are many different options but I am really glad you brought this up

3 time TWDT attendee. One year as House Head Boy and Now Head of House for Slytherin DE.
    4 Year Pax West Attendee
  • edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular

Please be safe, first and foremost, by knowing your limits. If you can handle the demands this bar crawl places on you, then do so, but we would all rather you know your limit, stop one drink short of that, and make it safely back to your room. Last year was my first, and I stopped after the third challenge, mostly because I had an extra early morning, but also because I was getting sloppy and spilled an entire drink on a muggle.

Second, the card is a good idea. But please be safe and avoid the need for such measures.

6YJGH2V.png
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    If you EVER feel like you've had too much to make it back safely on your own, PLEASE, let your heads know. Speaking for Ravenclaw, we WILL help you find a way to get back, whether it be finding you a cab, a walking group, a tardis, whatever.

Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Indeed, we will do whatever it takes to make sure people make it home safe, as long as people come to us. I know I try to keep a look out, but we're all adults so if you need help, ask.

I don't like having to pull someone out of a street gutter to get them in a cab, but damnit I'll do it!
    Don't worry creamsteak, I still love you.

• Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    Optimusbry wrote: »
    Yuritau wrote: »
    Is one allowed to challenge all three listed horcruxes at the same time?
    If youre a bad enough wizard, yes, though not recommended. As long as youre smart about it and stay within your means, we dont want any dementors running around

It's supposed to be that each attendee gets one of the buttons at random (after completing their scorecard) and attempts that challenge. Multiple attempts will require multiple buttons which be entirely up to the discretion of your heads as well as how many people have had the chance to attempt a Horcrux challenge.

Serenity wrote: »
    whypick1 wrote: »
    The routes haven't been released yet.

No they have not...
    *crickets*

Thanks for letting us know.

Very soon. Just clearing up 1 detail with @PunkJr (entirely my fault since I've been laid up with pre-PAX pox for days)

zerzhul wrote: »
    Indeed, we will do whatever it takes to make sure people make it home safe, as long as people come to us. I know I try to keep a look out, but we're all adults so if you need help, ask.

I don't like having to pull someone out of a street gutter to get them in a cab, but damnit I'll do it!

To echo all this advice, no one is going to leave you for dead at the end of the night. But you are an adult and are the only one that knows what your actual limits are. Your fellow bar crawlers are not babysitters and you shouldn't come into this event with the mindset that they are. We're all here to have fun.

• InitialdorInitialdor Seattle's Carl Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Food Map of Capitol Hill (Last Updated: Thursday Aug. 29th)
    BWZ64ZF.jpg

Final 2013 Map: The only change from the preliminary map was moving the yellow house highlighting for Hufflepuff from Auto Battery to Linda's.

I've updated the map and added final serving hours for food on Thursday night. My focus here is mainly fast food, so most of the restaurant-y places have been left out. I've green'd the hours of the places that will still be open at the close.

Initialdor on
    2018 West: Badges [x] TWDT [Rclaw TT] Cosplay: Still bald. Still single. Still lovin' it!
    "Fantasy football still counts as fantasy." -DnD Greg
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    You're doing MechaJesus's work Initialdor.

EDIT: Now that I know there's a 24hr grocery nearby I'm totally leading a raucous drunken army over there after the crawl.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    Initialdor wrote: »
    Preliminary Food Map of Capitol Hill (Last Updated: Sunday Aug. 25th)
    MQmOHBz.jpg
    Preliminary Note: The venues are from 2012 (minus Purr), so don't consider those to be the final spots. Once we have schedules, I'll update the map with an edit on this post.

I've updated the map and added final serving hours for food on Thursday night. My focus here is mainly fast food, so most of the restaurant-y places have been left out. I've green'd the hours of the places that will still be open at the close.

I hear talk that there will be a fast food workers' strike. Be aware.

6YJGH2V.png
  • DannehDanneh Registered User regular
    I managed to get a last minute ticket. Woo! Except, it's for Slytherin DE. Beggars can't be choosers, but my heart, soul, and wardrobe already belong to Ravenclaw. Thus, I propose an offer. If anyone in either Ravenclaw faction are willing to trade, I will pay you $20 and do my due-diligence by throwing another $20 in the Slytherin DE Childs' Play pot.

Save me from the dark-side, and let me buy a bunch of your drinks. PM me if you're game.

edited August 2013
    I would hope that if someone wanted to trade teams, your enthusiasm for a particular team would be enough.

zerzhul on
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular

Please be safe, first and foremost, by knowing your limits. If you can handle the demands this bar crawl places on you, then do so, but we would all rather you know your limit, stop one drink short of that, and make it safely back to your room. Last year was my first, and I stopped after the third challenge, mostly because I had an extra early morning, but also because I was getting sloppy and spilled an entire drink on a muggle.

Second, the card is a good idea. But please be safe and avoid the need for such measures.
    Totally agree. The ideal plan is everyone showing restraint, and hopefully talking about restraint will get at least one person to not end up wrecked. But we all know some people will.

To echo all this advice, no one is going to leave you for dead at the end of the night. But you are an adult and are the only one that knows what your actual limits are. Your fellow bar crawlers are not babysitters and you shouldn't come into this event with the mindset that they are. We're all here to have fun.

It raises an interesting question about human behavior. Does installing a safety net increase risky choices? If the common support of the other wizards has always been sufficient to see everyone safe, then my suggestion of cards might actually make things nominally worse. By increasing the number of people who consider them a reason to show less restraint.

• RidleyDragonRidleyDragon Registered User regular
    I'm an economist going on vacation, I don't want to think about moral hazard while there.

Don't be dumb, that's what it comes down to.

PW0oFIs.png
    Like I'm just not gonna do the first challenge, that will trigger vomit mode.

PW0oFIs.png
  • stabn_stabn_ Registered User regular
    Current forecast for Thursday has the possibility of rain during the crawl. If you are coming from out of town be sure to bring appropriate clothing!

Slytherin Headboy: Order of the Phoenix!
  • OptimusbryOptimusbry Event Designer Long Beach CARegistered User regular
    Here it is ladies and gentlemen, this year's Potion Master kit, exclusive to Ravenclaw Deatheaters!! This year you get not 1, not 2, not even 3, but FOUR unique home made ingredients! 2 vials of Essence of Dragons Breath, the ultra popular ingredient making a return from last year. New this year is 1 vial of Reduced Basilisk Liver (my home made BBQ sauce made with Stone Brewery's Self Rightious) 1 vial of Jellied Chimera Heart (home made apple cinnamon jam made with fresh apples and red hots candies, super good on pork chops) and a bag of Powdered Phoenix Bones (my home made BBQ dry rub, contains coffee so word of warning if anyone out there is allergic) All this can be yours THURSDAY NIGHT! For the CHILDREN!
    5nDocpc.jpg

Nintendo ID: Optimusbry :: Xbox Live: Optimus Bry :: PSN: Optimusbry :: Steam ID: Optimus Bry
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    You're doing MechaJesus's work Initialdor.

EDIT: Now that I know there's a 24hr grocery nearby I'm totally leading a raucous drunken army over there after the crawl.

Thank you, TOG! That QFC is rad, but I highly recommend the brät carts this year; Seattle style dog, with onions and cream cheese. It's boss!
    I hear talk that there will be a fast food workers' strike. Be aware.

This is a thing that is happening, but most of the spots on the map are self-run places or small franchises... I wouldn't worry too much about that strike except for the Subway and Chipotle. Although, if QFC staff show solidarity with their food service brothers, then it could hamper the 24-hour-ness of that spot.

2018 West: Badges [x] TWDT [Rclaw TT] Cosplay: Still bald. Still single. Still lovin' it!
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    That food map is pretty sad, around here anywhere there's a bar there's some sort of food place beside it open till 3-4 am, what's with all these seattle places wussing out and closing at 12-2?

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    edited August 2013
    Optimusbry wrote: »
    5nDocpc.jpg

I picked the right house.

edgeofblade on
    6YJGH2V.png
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    Ravenclaw peeps! I've been informed that scarves have arrived at my hotel in Seattle, so they'll definitely be available for pickup at the start of the crawl. If for some reason you can't pick yours up for any reason, *please* let me know so I'm not lugging the thing around all night. :P

why are you smelling it?
  • MogsMogs Registered User regular
    A question regarding money and donations. I have some friends who aren't participating who would like to "sponsor" my participation (and all those in Ravenclaw) by making donations to Child's Play. Would I be able to bring a printed out receipt from their donation on the Child's Play website and have it count towards the team total?

Also, just a bit more work to be done on my etched goodies I will be auctioning off, and then I'll get some photos up here. Can't wait!

edited August 2013
    That food map is pretty sad, around here anywhere there's a bar there's some sort of food place beside it open till 3-4 am, what's with all these seattle places wussing out and closing at 12-2?

That's more of a Thursday thing. Hot Mama's, Rancho Bravo, that Subway, Big Mario's Pizza, and Pike Place Fish Fry all stay open till at least 2:30 on Friday and Saturday... in case anyone is hitting the hill for more drinking then. (Edit: But, yeah... that is sad. My native U-District does better than that for food on any given night.)

Initialdor on
  • Jaym4nJaym4n Registered User regular
    So any ETA on when the routes will be posted?

PAX SOUTH 2017 Preparedness:
    [E] Passes [X] Hotel [X] Flight [ ] Waiting Patiently
    mHCQED9.png
    Mogs wrote: »
    A question regarding money and donations. I have some friends who aren't participating who would like to "sponsor" my participation (and all those in Ravenclaw) by making donations to Child's Play. Would I be able to bring a printed out receipt from their donation on the Child's Play website and have it count towards the team total?

In the past, only donations collected at the TWDT can count towards the total. I don't really see this changing, but I would encourage your friends to donate anyhow! Or give you cash and you can donate at the crawl :P

• RDubbRDubb Registered User regular
    I'm putting together an Auror/assassin mash-up costume for the event. Here's a bit of what my jacket will look like:
    4h5FBDpl.jpg

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular

In the past, only donations collected at the TWDT can count towards the total. I don't really see this changing, but I would encourage your friends to donate anyhow! Or give you cash and you can donate at the crawl :P

Using outside donations to stuff your envelope that were going to CP anyway is pretty sleezy.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • UnfetteredUnfettered Registered User regular
    Hufflepuff DE's in particular, but any others who show an interest are welcome to ask for one: I bought around 20 of the temporary tats for this years crawl. Any cash you want to shell out for one goes straight into the Child's Play kitty.

Hufflepuff DE - HoH - Huffledrunk 4 Lyf!

RIP: uncomfortably hot tire vest

u want destiny raid? We be raidin'! XBL: Unfettered
  • BilboFragginsBilboFraggins Registered User new member
    I'm curious if it would be possible for people not participating to still tag along and observe? I'm not registered (and probably couldn't drink that much in one night anyways lol) but meeting fellow Harry Potter nerds and watching the festivities (and inevitable chaos) would be really fun.

Is this okay with the OP? Obviously any observers would be responsible for themselves, and would have no affiliation with the event.

edited August 2013
    We strongly discourage those who do not have tickets from just showing up. This system is set up so that we aren't rolling into bars with WAY too many people. Obviously that can't stop people from hanging out at the various locations if they want to.

zerzhul on
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Using outside donations to stuff your envelope that were going to CP anyway is pretty sleezy.

But you're a Slytheryn! Sleazy is what you're about! :P

PW0oFIs.png
This discussion has been closed.