As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Priest Talk: I've Tested Positive for Shadow

• Options
    poisnedcokepoisnedcoke Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Mana oil? What the hell? You want the Wizard Oil that adds spell damage. And if no one on your server has the spell damage to bracers enchant (Which I bet you they do, you just don't know it) then get 6 mana/5 over the 12 int. Get spell damage put on your gloves, the only reason I said shadow power is because it's normally a hell of a lot cheaper if you know someone that has it and does the exact same thing for a shadow priest.

I know you probably have a life and every thing, I understand that. But don't sell yourself short in raids when you could be grinding mats or rep to get into heroics. Look at it this way: You spend how much time a week raiding? How much better and more enjoyable would those raids be if you spent just an extra 2 or 3 hours a week preparing for them? Anything worth doing is worth doing right, and if you show up underprepared you're not getting the best out of your time.

Also go get your damn Bracers of Havok crafted. Crafted bracers with 12 int, 30 damage and a socket. They're the best you'll see until BT (Or if you buy the mats from the raiding guild and can get the BT wrists crafted) and really cheap.

Another crafted you can get is the Cloak of the Black Void. Best shadow priest cloak pre-raiding (I still use it, fucking moroes dropping it once for a lootwhore mage to take it from me!). Has 35 damage on it, very easy to obtain.

Go grind Lower City rep to get the exalted hammer. And then break out the saga of terokk if you can't do heroics (Though you'll at least be able to do LC heroics by that time). If you do it while you have the towers you can easily get the 50 spirit shards or so to get the epic ring, that's a 2 damage and 12 hit upgrade for you (On your second ring that is).

Other than that nothing is particuarly weak that hasn't already been pointed out. But put in some time and this game because so much more enjoyable.

poisnedcoke on
    I'm trilltastic, trilldacious even!
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    A lot of stuff.

OK, thanks.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I favor the PvP bracers over havok. Sure, it's 5 spelldamage less, but it's 31 stamina, 4int, 17resilience more more. Now i'm one of the biggest spelldamage whores in the game, but that is worth it.

Grind PvP bracers during an AV weekend.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So they're changing the 4 piece T5 to add an extra tick of renew? Seriously guys, what the fuck. Did you just completely run out of ideas and fall back on the stupidest, most unoriginal bonus you could think of?

Give me something that increases heal per tick, if it absolutely must involve renew. Otherwise, make it raw MP5, or a proc that returns mana to me. Those are the only things that matter in raiding right now, an extra renew tick ain't going to do crap to help a raid survive.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    SanderJK wrote: »
    I favor the PvP bracers over havok. Sure, it's 5 spelldamage less, but it's 31 stamina, 4int, 17resilience more more. Now i'm one of the biggest spelldamage whores in the game, but that is worth it.

You just mentioned 4 stats and one of them is absolutely fucking useless for a raid. And the one that's most important for a shadow priest is the one you're losing. 31 stamina is great and all, for certain fights (Mag, aran, leo, etc.), but not your every boss fight. It's honestly best to have both, but with the amount of work he has infront of him to get spellstrike, season 2 weapon, keyed for heroics, blah blah blah, grinding honor for something that's a situational upgrade over an easily obtainable crafted is pretty stupid. Get the bracers crafted, move on to the other things on your list.

poisnedcoke on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    xzzy wrote: »
    So they're changing the 4 piece T5 to add an extra tick of renew? Seriously guys, what the fuck. Did you just completely run out of ideas and fall back on the stupidest, most unoriginal bonus you could think of?

Give me something that increases heal per tick, if it absolutely must involve renew. Otherwise, make it raw MP5, or a proc that returns mana to me. Those are the only things that matter in raiding right now, an extra renew tick ain't going to do crap to help a raid survive.

What? That's fucking ridiculous. Why the hell would they change that set bonus? It's not like it's the goddamn Tier 2 two-piece bonus or anything.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    korodullin wrote: »

What? That's fucking ridiculous. Why the hell would they change that set bonus? It's not like it's the goddamn Tier 2 two-piece bonus or anything.

I was actually interested in the resist increasing effect. I mean, it has the capacity for some real utility if you end up in a situation where someone can't quite get the resists they need. I wanted to see if it would stack from multiple priests (probably not, but I haven't raided with another 4 piece priest to test).

Now.. it's complete crap. They're looking at it like a hp healed per mana point problem, when that's simply not the case anymore. Raiding now is entirely about hp per second or mana cost (and mana cost can be almost entirely mitigated with mana pots and flasks).

Seriously, now I feel like an idiot for having spent DKP to get the 4 piece bonus.

xzzy on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    SanderJK wrote: »

You just mentioned 4 stats and one of them is absolutely fucking useless for a raid. And the one that's most important for a shadow priest is the one you're losing. 31 stamina is great and all, for certain fights (Mag, aran, leo, etc.), but not your every boss fight. It's honestly best to have both, but with the amount of work he has infront of him to get spellstrike, season 2 weapon, keyed for heroics, blah blah blah, grinding honor for something that's a situational upgrade over an easily obtainable crafted is pretty stupid. Get the bracers crafted, move on to the other things on your list.

Every 25man raidboss i can think of damages the raid in some way or another. Now i'm not that far into 25man raiding, having only killed up to Lurker/VR and tries on hydross, tidewalker, but it's very noticable that those with under 8k hp after raid buffs get into trouble way more often. A shatter gone wrong, bad orbs at VR, bad luck at lurker with sheepbreak/multi shot and knockback, earthquake and grave at tidewalker.... raidwide damage is everywhere, and 5k in one go is more often the rule then the exception. Magtheridon does up to 6750 damage to everyone in the raid at once. You gotta have some hp, and 300hp for 5 spelldamage goes a long way.

Also remember that int is not totally useless, since mana tide restores mana based on your total int. Now I run around with only 9000mana raidbuffed, but it's not totally useless either.

Resilience is prolly useless, most of the time though.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yea like I said, hp is helpful in some situations. But for the most part you're going to take 5k damage and then nothing else for another 40+ seconds. There are next to no times that you're ever going to get hit for 8k damage instantly. Plus even as a glass cannon it's really easy to get over 8k hp raid buffed.

poisnedcoke on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

what, blizzard nerfing priests in some manner? well I never!

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Wren wrote: »

what, blizzard nerfing priests in some manner? well I never!

Being reduced to 1 slot per raid as a token buffbot? OVERPOWERED! If these clowns are going to start thinking they can increase people's resists as reward for winning some of the hardest fights in the game, I swear on my mother's grave I'll take it away. Not gonna be having any of that claptrap on my watch, nosiree.

xzzy on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Priests are working as intended. We have a CM playing a level 24 priest right now and he says they're fine as is.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I love the comment from Neth about how she PvP's but hasn't gotten into Arenas yet... Yeah, priests are fine in BG's. gg I'm a demigod in BG's when I'm not faced with mace rogues with every cooldown up and Skillherald wielding warriors wherever I look.

As a side note, we got our 2v2 (disc/holy me & ms warr) over the 1800 cockblock last night... We even beat a few teams we shouldn't have. (Pally/Warr) I really hate pallies...

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    emperorsargosaemperorsargosa Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    First night raiding as a shadow priest I wtfpwnd the place. #1 on damage meters on HKM, over 1k dps on some trash pulls. A sustained dps of just under 700 for the night with ~900 shadow damage. I had a quarter of the raid sending me tells praising me for being the only good shadow priest in the guild :)

/pride

i think i'll be sticking with shadow now.

emperorsargosa on
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Seriously, now I feel like an idiot for having spent DKP to get the 4 piece bonus.

eh, maybe some pieces. but depending on which order you bought it in, i'd assume a lot of it was direct upgrades anyway.

exis on
  • Options
    Simjanes2kSimjanes2k Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So I just had a day with the opportunity to play my friend's geared 70 warrior (i have a 68 of my own), girlfriend's 70 mage (i have a 70 of my own, sans gear), and a guildie's 70 disc/holy priest geared for arena.

Tried them all out in practice arenas, then returned to my shadow priest.

My conclusion: Shadow priests are absolute SHIT in arenas against an average opponent. As skilled as I consider myself to be, there is just plain no survivability compared to anything else.

God only knows how I'd feel had I played a paladin today. Ugh.

Simjanes2k on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I'd go out on a limb and say, no we're not shit. We're not very great, but we do okay in arenas. Balance and all that.

poisnedcoke on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    From what I've seen, the key for Shadow Priests in arenas is staying out of Shadowform.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I'd go out on a limb and say, no we're not shit. We're not very great, but we do okay in arenas. Balance and all that.

I understand your point of view, but I would encourage people to actually get on a lvl 70 class of equal gear to your own and try it in the arena before passing judgement. Classes have counters to things that other people do! It's incredible!

I'm still extremely frustrated at seeing the difference, especially since I have over 100 days played on my priest, plenty of shadow priest raiding and pvp experience, and almost none with the other classes I've tried (relatively). I still felt like the game was flat out easier.

Simjanes2k on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Most classes these days have some kind of "I win" button, something that makes other people hate fighting the class. Death coil, mortal strike, cloak of shadows, whatever. Not all of them will get you killed but they do piss you off when you come against them in a fight. Don't really know what priests have.. fear is probably the best we got but it's so easy to break these days I hesitate to put it under the "i win" category.

My best hope for accomplishing anything relies entirely for how long the enemy ignores me. I guess I'd be content with that.. if we hadn't been reduced to buffbots on raids. Always felt like the trade for sucking in PvP was being in high demand for PvE, and now priests aren't even that unless they spec shadow.

xzzy on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    blackout is quite annoying

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    If only it wasn't a passive skill. It would be awesome to have an instant cast stun. ;)

As a holy priest I don't really have enough free points to buy it, either.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Most classes these days have some kind of "I win" button, something that makes other people hate fighting the class. Death coil, mortal strike, cloak of shadows, whatever. Not all of them will get you killed but they do piss you off when you come against them in a fight. Don't really know what priests have.. fear is probably the best we got but it's so easy to break these days I hesitate to put it under the "i win" category.

My best hope for accomplishing anything relies entirely for how long the enemy ignores me. I guess I'd be content with that.. if we hadn't been reduced to buffbots on raids. Always felt like the trade for sucking in PvP was being in high demand for PvE, and now priests aren't even that unless they spec shadow.

Blessed Resilience is what sets us apart. And it's incredible.

exis on
  • Options
    SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

Our "I win" button requires us to be near the edge of a tall cliff.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Almost every single top team on every battlegroup features a priest of some form. The same can not be said for hunters, rogues, druids, or shaman. I'd say we're just fine.

poisnedcoke on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Saeris wrote: »
    Our "I win" button requires us to be near the edge of a tall cliff.

Not anymore. Half the time it leaves them hanging in the middle of the air, unharmed.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Almost every single top team on every battlegroup features a priest of some form. The same can not be said for hunters, rogues, druids, or shaman. I'd say we're just fine.

Compared to warlocks, or arms warriors, or paladins?

I agree we're "fine", but it sure would be nice to be further up the food chain.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Compared to warlocks, or arms warriors, or paladins?

I agree we're "fine", but it sure would be nice to be further up the food chain.

Priests have a lot of utility, being able to do both forms of dispeling, do pretty good heals/damage, remove the immunity effects, and providing really nice buffs.

Just because other classes do things really well doesn't make us any worse. We're still perfectly fine if played, specced, geared, and grouped correctly.

poisnedcoke on
  • Options
    KarpmanKarpman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So I got this weapon from princess theradras. On a greed roll. It was not an accident. I thought it said chance on hit, and I did not notice until after the group split up that it said different. I think that's what every other caster in the group thought too, cause nobody rolled need or complained about losing it.

So now I have it. It's on my 52 priest, my highest lvl char. It's the first ever epic wep I've owned, and I want to use it 'cause it's EPIC. I honestly think I would perform better with a staff of some sort, intel or +dam/heal, but to hell with efficiency or DPS, It's EPIC, goddammit! Shadow spec has poor synergy with it. In shadowform, you only have mind blast that it can proc on, and that's not spammable enough. I was thinking a disc spec would work well with it, along with getting spirit tap. So this spec is what I made. Smite and holy fire would be my main damagers. HF has a relatively cheap mana cost, so it works nicely with the proc. I have silent resolve because I like to play in groups and plan to do sunken temple a lot, just to do it. I went for what seemed to me to be a mix of mainly damage talents with some survivability and utility. And spirit tap. I like the synergy between imp divine spirit and spirit tap.

So tell me what you think. Suggest stuff that could make me better for a priest using the blade of eternal darkness. I know I could drop it and be better overall, but that's just not as fun to me.

Karpman on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The people insisting that we're fine seem to be pointing out healing as our major plus. I dunno if I clarified enough... I meant shadow. A shadow priest can and likely will heal in an arena, but does not have access to the awesome skills that a holy/disc or deep holy priest has to ward off attackers while they do so.

It's just frustrating to me to see other off-specs seem to be so much easier to play successfully.

Simjanes2k on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Simjanes2k wrote: »
    The people insisting that we're fine seem to be pointing out healing as our major plus. I dunno if I clarified enough... I meant shadow. A shadow priest can and likely will heal in an arena, but does not have access to the awesome skills that a holy/disc or deep holy priest has to ward off attackers while they do so.

It's just frustrating to me to see other off-specs seem to be so much easier to play successfully.

I agree that shadow priests aren't as good as holy priests, but the conversation turned from "Shadow priests are bad in arenas" to "HAI GUYZ I IZ A PRIEST WE SUX OLOL". Regardless, shadow priests are still rather okay. Our survivability may be lower, and our arena itemization may be a little wonky. But we have a lot of a key abilities in a match. No other person can offensively and defensively dispel. No one else can remove the immunity shields, etc. Wer're not horrible, much better than enh. shamans, feral druids, fire mages, etc.

I was well aware of what you were talking about (That being shadow priests), but I was talking to the people who were bitching about priests in general. Oh and I did say heals/damage. Which would be "If you're holy/disc you can have heals, if you're shadow you can have damage!" no where did I point to heals alone.

poisnedcoke on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    "HAI GUYZ I IZ A PRIEST WE SUX OLOL".

Man, fuck you. I wasn't saying that at all.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    "HAI GUYZ I IZ A PRIEST WE SUX OLOL".

Man, fuck you. I wasn't saying that at all.

I'm fucking with you, don't take it too seriously.

You actually went out and said we're fine as well, it's just more fun to over simplify things and look like a toolbag.

poisnedcoke on
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So on topic of Arenas.... Joined a new semi-serious 5v5 this weekend... for the first time, 5v5 was.... well, wonderful. :O My last team was casual, meaning I was the only one with PvP gear and um yeah, I can't hold a team together... I was part of a "hardcore" team at one point, but we had no pally and the leader was an emo dick, and I prefer rational discussion rather than getting yelled at. But anyway, current group:

Me (28/33/0)
    Holy Pally
    Resto Druid
    MS Mace Warrior #1
    MS Mace Warrior #2
    Fire Mage

We ran 3 healer/2 DPS and went 9-1. (and we would have won that one if they killed the priest like I said... >.>) It's so ironic that priests are such a threat with proper support, but so easy to lock down without it. We ran with two warriors & switched one warrior out for a mage for a few rounds. (It's a bit obscene that a druid & mage can keep 2 member of their team completely locked out for the duration of the match... But heck, I'm not going to complain.) It's also nice that the two warriors & myself are night elves, so four of us start out stealthed and the other team doesn't really have the opportunity to plan before they're getting pounded on. The six of us have been raiding together since BC came out, so we don't really need to talk much... Most of our vent conversation consists of "UA, don't dispel," "mage next," or "shaman's oom" as everyone knows who to assist... I just need to train the warriors that if their target gets a BoP, they don't need to switch targets if I'm there... (The two warriors run with the druid and pally in the other brackets)

The only teams I can see being a real threat are teams with a ton of burst, or teams that can mana drain/burn. Other than that, we can pretty much outlast whatever they throw at us. Between PW:F, Kings, MotW & CS, the entire team has ~14-15k health to start off with, and whoever gets focused on (usually me) has at least two healers keeping them up. Only one team we beat managed to kill me, 4 dps team... But it took most of their mana to do it and I burned their healer to nothing so it was gg from there. Lifebloom counters purge spam... The Pally slips the druid and I Wisdom after someone on the other team dies so mana isn't as much of an issue, (and we still have innervate) and 95% of the spells I'm casting are instant so I'm not plagued by the excessive amount of silencing effects I have to deal with in the other brackets.

But yeah, when all was said and done we gained ~150 points. Only in the 1600's so far, but hey it's a solid start. And yay... getting 5/5 Merciless tonight: Almost exclusively from 2v2 points.

But yeah, as for the discussions on this page; It's true, there are a lot a teams that you'll face that you just can't beat, unless your team does everything exactly right, their team does everything completely wrong, the Moon is in it's third phase, and Tampa Bay is in the playoffs. It becomes super irritating (see my QQ post a few pages ago) when you realize that some classes can be played effectively even without a lot of PvP experience (I'm looking at you Paladins & Warriors) and will completely dominate when skilled, and some require you to know every tiny nuance of your class and every other classes skills to have a prayer... (Us, Hunters, Druids for the most part) Combine that with being completely gear & spec dependant and yeah... It's an uphill barefoot climb in the snow. I'm just happy that I'm still climbing and not falling down anymore.

I don't play as shadow, but my role in 5's would be almost identical to what it is now if I was: Tank, dispel, dispel, dispel, PW:S, Mana Burn, Fear. Renew would be exchanged for SW: P, ProM for Silence and Mindflay, Blessed Recov/Res procs for blackout procs and Shadowform mitigation. There's obvious advantages and disadvantages to both specs. I've given in to the reality that we're not a primary healing or DPS class in Arenas, but we *are* a very strong support class. Just like the healer makes the warrior, our team makes us.

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I love you ishtaar, well said.

poisnedcoke on
  • Options
    DulinDulin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I enjoy being a shadow priest in PvE
    WoWScrnShot_071307_230515.jpg

In PvP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuZxUyb9dXE

Only thing is you need 200+ resi in arena because everyone targets you first, but if you have a good healer we can shut down most of anything. Well at least Pallys, warriors, hunters, mages (just drop shadow and heal every now and then), druids. I also have imp mana burn as shadow so i guess sometimes in arena I act more like a disc/holy priest but I dont heal unless its one of those in a pinch type things.

Dulin on
    dulin.jpg
  • Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Karpman wrote: »
    So I got this weapon from princess theradras. On a greed roll. It was not an accident. I thought it said chance on hit, and I did not notice until after the group split up that it said different. I think that's what every other caster in the group thought too, cause nobody rolled need or complained about losing it.

So now I have it. It's on my 52 priest, my highest lvl char. It's the first ever epic wep I've owned, and I want to use it 'cause it's EPIC. I honestly think I would perform better with a staff of some sort, intel or +dam/heal, but to hell with efficiency or DPS, It's EPIC, goddammit! Shadow spec has poor synergy with it. In shadowform, you only have mind blast that it can proc on, and that's not spammable enough. I was thinking a disc spec would work well with it, along with getting spirit tap. So this spec is what I made. Smite and holy fire would be my main damagers. HF has a relatively cheap mana cost, so it works nicely with the proc. I have silent resolve because I like to play in groups and plan to do sunken temple a lot, just to do it. I went for what seemed to me to be a mix of mainly damage talents with some survivability and utility. And spirit tap. I like the synergy between imp divine spirit and spirit tap.

So tell me what you think. Suggest stuff that could make me better for a priest using the blade of eternal darkness. I know I could drop it and be better overall, but that's just not as fun to me.

It's too bad you got it after it was nerfed... it used to proc off of every spell cast on an opponent, that includes dispelling them, SW: P, and Mind Vision... You can imagine the hilarity that might ensue from that. Unfortunately, now, I guess a smite build would be the main use for it.

So in a smite build, I think divine fury and searing light (.5 sec off smite cast, and 10% more damage) are pretty key... so I would get those first, and then work towards PI.

dojango on
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    so, i'm fairly convinced this
    http://wowhead.com/?talent=bxT0zhxzbZfxxMcMqVhM
    is about the best healing build that can be constructed. I guess a point in holy nova for the utility would be nice, but otherwise... i like it.

Whatcha think?

redfenix on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    redfenix wrote: »
    is about the best healing build that can be constructed. I guess a point in holy nova for the utility would be nice, but otherwise... i like it.

Whatcha think?

http://wowhead.com/?talent=bxT0zhxZsxxcc0qVuVo

Points can be shuffled. I actually really like Holy Reach with CoH.

edit: I'm assuming you were talking about a raiding build. I guess Imp DS would be useful in five-mans. But we bring other priests to raids, and there's no need at all to have more than one per raid with DS.

exis on
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    exis wrote: »
    redfenix wrote: »

Whatcha think?

http://wowhead.com/?talent=bxT0zhxZsxxcc0qVuVo

Points can be shuffled. I actually really like Holy Reach with CoH.

edit: I'm assuming you were talking about a raiding build. I guess Imp DS would be useful in five-mans. But we bring other priests to raids, and there's no need at all to have more than one per raid with DS.

See, I was building that with the idea that DI was a necessity, and now i'm totally jumping ship on that previous build. I guess I thought lightwell was stupid since noone knows how to us it right, but i've been out of raiding a while, and by now I guess it's no biggie. CoH seems nice too.

redfenix on
This discussion has been closed.