As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

pre-pax video game discussion for east 2014

zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
So I have no clue if this is going to be popular or useful, but I wanted to give this a try since we have these separated forums now, and this won't cause clutter.

Let's talk about video games at pax! I'll throw out some questions (these may look very familiar in other threads!) to get things started.
  • What do you want to see for this next pax?
  • What are your favorite video games games to play at pax?
  • What are some games that you wish you tried that you missed out on?
  • What games would you like to see more tournaments and events for?
  • Did you have an awesome video game experience at a previous pax that you want to share?
  • Want to list your gamer tag or friend code to find other pax people to play games with during non-pax times? go for it! (GUESS WHAT MINE IS???)

• CatalepticalCataleptical New JerseyRegistered User regular
    The coolest thing about East 2014 is that we really have no idea what to expect. With MS and Sony tight-lipped about the next gen of games as well as the fact that this current gen won't even be over by then, everything's up in the air. It's actually kind of exciting. The powers that be might need even more space at the convention center!

379by4cj0i1l.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah, I'm always excited for new stuff, and I totally agree as far as expo goes. They may even have all new systems for console freeplay!

• EagleAlphaXEagleAlphaX New JerseyRegistered User regular
    One of my favorite video games from PAX East 2013 was the Behemoth's Battleblock Theater. The Behemoth section in general was pretty cool because they had Battleblock Theater and Castle Crashers in arcade cabinets. That was just really neat/nostalgic to play in the cabinets and the game itself was quick and fun, making it easy to pass off to the next players in line. Also, their games were all multiplayer. Since a lot of PAX-goers are with groups of people, it's a good idea to have multiplayer games so that they can play together, as opposed to having to wait for each person to take their turn. I think I'd like to see more relatively quick multiplayer games like these ones this year.

wjxmaepqs9k1.png
  • GreenizdabestGreenizdabest Southeast CT - USARegistered User regular
    I'm not aware if they did or if they could, but given it's popularity a Pokemon tournament would probably be a great idea?

I'm not sure if there's ever been an official Pokemon tournament, but for the last few years there's been the PAX Pokemon League, which is a huge league of "gym leaders" with badges and a final four, plus a champion! I doubt pax itself could pull off anything even close to what the PPL accomplishes for PAX East :)

• rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    just based on games I play would not mind seeing a madden tournament or something along those lines. I am very excited to see what the new systems will bring and maybe some games that we did not know were coming

• Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I hope that by April at Pax we will be able to play Mario Kart 8 since it should probably be almost finished at that point (crosses fingers)

This space for rent
  • RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
    I hope the Steel Battalion room is back, I've regretted not trying it at the last East.

• scottyb1218scottyb1218 BostonRegistered User regular
    Call me old fashioned, but I'm looking forward to checking out other peeps in Animal Crossing: New Leaf. Also looking forward to playing the new Pokemon X and Y.

sig.php?id=222
    I bought a DS for my first pax, and other than that pax I haven't really done any mobile gaming at pax. I think I'd like to get back into that, but I really don't want to shell out for a 3ds. Ah well.

• <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I bought a DS for my first pax, and other than that pax I haven't really done any mobile gaming at pax. I think I'd like to get back into that, but I really don't want to shell out for a 3ds. Ah well.

I'm in a similar boat. That said, I've found that people are generally open to a game of Tetris in line if asked. It's a shame the days of opening up a room and having it filled in less than 30 seconds have passed.

• rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    thats why I have my vita lol. I like it a lot more then the 3ds

• vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    I had no problem getting games of Spaceteam going at East 2013. I guess there's just more options now, so not everyone is rolling with a DS or 3DS...

Then again, I do think PAX is still a prime spot for street passes. I may get a 3DS just for that ;)

• EagleAlphaXEagleAlphaX New JerseyRegistered User regular
    vttym wrote: »
    I had no problem getting games of Spaceteam going at East 2013. I guess there's just more options now, so not everyone is rolling with a DS or 3DS...

Spaceteam is out on Android now too, which means even more people can play!
    vttym wrote: »
    Then again, I do think PAX is still a prime spot for street passes. I may get a 3DS just for that ;)

Seeing my friends with their 3DSs/Streetpasses at last year's PAX East convinced me to get one. I would say it was worth the investment and I didn't even bring it to PAX yet. :D

wjxmaepqs9k1.png
  • VGVideoGalaxyVGVideoGalaxy Northern VirginiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    This is going to be my very first PAX and I am excited to see what games will be there. One thing I like about 2014 is that the PS4 and Xbox One will still be brand new and we could see lots of new games. I'm also excited to see what Nintendo will be offering.

VGVideoGalaxy on
  • TrandescentTrandescent Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I'm hoping to find an Oculus Rift somewhere at PAXE 2014. I'd love to try it. Especially if the guys over at CCP brought their oculus demo..

I have New Leaf City but when my friend and I went to replace the screen, we screwed up a connector.. i'll never have a working 3DS at this point for PAX ;__;

Trandescent on
    8elUgf9.png

PAX East 2018 4-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass [X] Hotel Reservation [X]

See y'all at PAX East 2018!
  • tastypantstastypants Registered User new member
    edited August 2013
    I want to see a TF2 tournament at PAX East!!!

tastypants on
  • CoanCoan TorontoRegistered User regular
    Could shell out for a 2ds now :P (I've been on the fence, but i've got till October 12th to buy SOMETHING that plays 3ds games).

Honestly, with timeframe, there are a few "early/mid 2014" release games we can see there like smash brothers, Titanfall, Destiny...theres a lot to be excited for.

I also can't wait for October to hit so I can prepare for PPL next year, with the assumption it will run off of x/y and not b/w with the new release.

Really, PPL is my good video game experience from last year, and though I didn't spend as much time on it as I wanted to (as in, didn't get to champion, because omg, pax has everything).

Posting on the phorum again like its 1999
  • FireWaterFireWater Registered User regular
    I would like to see something that I don't think has be suggested before:

A come as you go, Laptop BYOC. Just a few tables in the Freeplay area, with power connectors and LAN cables/ports. People can bring their gaming laptops and set up on the fly, without having to register for the BYOC. When someone is done, they simply get up and pack up their stuff and leave. I think this would be a pretty cool idea to restrict to laptops only, and to time it if necessary.

• FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    As an occasional LoL player I always enjoy Riot's presence. I remember in 2012 they seemed to have this huge arena (different than 2013). I would like to see that happen again. If I recall there were even some stands that people could sit in, or maybe it's me who has a fault memory. It would be nice to maybe have a room dedicated to LoL streaming, or streaming of some major event, and have the whole place set up with various contests and so on. Maybe have live casting with some of the big names out there? Personally I'm more into SC2 and I know many people who are addicted to fighting game streams, but I'm going with what people like the most here.

I wish I could have tried Drop Kick. I love it when an indie success draws that much attention. On that note, I especially loved how everyone had Spaceteam.

I'm not sure if this actually counts as an "Awesome video game experience", but I got to have someone explain to me the ins and outs of mechanical keyboards. Ended up buying one and it has been one of the best purchases I have made in video gaming since... I cannot recall. That little thing has turned out to be my highlight of the whole event. Makes me wonder what else I have been missing out on.

If not, I will fall back on 2012, where I got to try Blacklight for the first time. Did not know it existed, was glad to know it was already released and available for free. Played the game for a good deal of time. I guess I was especially impressed with the feel of playing as a team on a series of top end machines/headsets. Even if it was just for a try, the experience stuck with me for some reason. Someone from the game company simply shouted at me (in a good way) to come and try it. I bet a lot of people played that game during that weekend but I felt really lucky.

I would love to see more big video game announcements like the one that went down with Blizzard and Gearbox. I love it when I get to be part of the crowd who heard it first - everyone is super excited and it's not hard to find something to chat about with strangers whenever someone is waiting in line.

As for what games I would like to see... I think that question could be interpreted in many ways, but I will go with what I like myself.
    - More Blizzard, especially more SC2. It's probably never going to happen but having an announcement about Titan would be awesome.
    - Keep bringing in the Indie Booth stuff. Love those guys.
    - How about some up and coming, promising Kickstarter project developers?
    - A presence from Valve - Steam?
    - A panel for some of the most popular games that are also hard to get into which will explain how new comers can get in, or what people who are not playing these games are probably missing out on. I'm looking at your LoL and SC2 in particular!

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • FireWaterFireWater Registered User regular
    So I have no clue if this is going to be popular or useful, but I wanted to give this a try since we have these separated forums now, and this won't cause clutter.

Let's talk about video games at pax! I'll throw out some questions (these may look very familiar in other threads!) to get things started.
    • What do you want to see for this next pax?
    • What are your favorite video games games to play at pax?
    • What are some games that you wish you tried that you missed out on?
    • What games would you like to see more tournaments and events for?
    • Did you have an awesome video game experience at a previous pax that you want to share?
    • Want to list your gamer tag or friend code to find other pax people to play games with during non-pax times? go for it! (GUESS WHAT MINE IS???)

I would like to see more PC's and more BYOC space, I made a suggestion regarding a come as you go BYOC, though I'm not sure that is reasonable.
    My favorite games are Left 4 dead, CS:GO and other source shooters.
    Can't really think of any games I missed.
    I would love for tournaments to be announced when badges go on sale, and I would love to see multiple CS:GO tournaments going.
    Awesome game experience was playing Freeplay with friends.
    I am FireWaterFX on steam.

Another thing that would be nice is to combine the BYOC game servers with the PC Freeplay game servers, as I heard they were separated before, combining I think would be nice to combine forces to get a game going.

• miker525miker525 New YorkRegistered User regular
    Valve and Steam are always something I hope for, but I believe they only came once for Portal 2. With no announcements at this point I doubt they'll be there with anything. Other than that I'm hoping for potentially some new expansions for Payday 2, as well as more indie stuff. PAX East indie megabooth always excites me for new upcoming indie projects

weZXr66.png
    Steam - Miker525 | Xbox Live - Miker525| PSN - MikeRosenberg
    Websites - Gamerations - MikeRosenberger.com
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
  • jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    I hope the Oculus Rift will be there. I have never tried any head mounted displays and that one looks cool....

• BearTheHumanBearTheHuman Registered User regular
    jdixon1972 wrote: »
    I hope the Oculus Rift will be there. I have never tried any head mounted displays and that one looks cool....

Something with the rift will probably be there. I got a chance to try it out at a small indie con on a game that was still a tech demo and it was still super cool. Takes some getting used to, though.

• letsgamelawlzletsgamelawlz If you want to know me, CHEESE Aperture scienceRegistered User regular
    Omg excited for pax. Hope they have halo 5!

it seems everybody is doing this so....PAX EAST 2014: Badges[X] Travel[X] FRANNDS [X] My video game spirit [X] Party supplies[]
  • GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular

I end up constantly just emptying out my streetpass, which is cool, but I rarely actually play anything beyond that streetpass and limited games associated with that.

I'd love to see more community based panels with great topics. Last year I was a little disappointed compared to pax east 2012. That being said I have no ideas for great panels, so I am of no help there.

PAX is close to perfect for me, or at least I haven't reached the point in my exploring of PAX and it's community that I can come up with any improvements :)

• MissMoogleMissMoogle Registered User regular
    I have the same dream every year, and I don't care how silly it sounds! ...

I want to get a Fallout 4 announcement/reveal at PAX East 2014! XD
    Come on Bethesda, I'm still holdin out for ya!

Xbox: totobomb
    PSN: totobomb

Add me! :)

www.facebook.com/msmooglecosplay
    I say it every year, and I'll say it again. I really hope they find some way to extend the Video Game Roadshow to 2 hours. One hour has never been enough!

• letsgamelawlzletsgamelawlz If you want to know me, CHEESE Aperture scienceRegistered User regular
    I say it every year, and I'll say it again. I really hope they find some way to extend the Video Game Roadshow to 2 hours. One hour has never been enough!
    AGREED!!! extend | video game | roadshow

it seems everybody is doing this so....PAX EAST 2014: Badges[X] Travel[X] FRANNDS [X] My video game spirit [X] Party supplies[]
    Yeah, I'm always excited for new stuff, and I totally agree as far as expo goes. They may even have all new systems for console freeplay!
    Ditto! I just hope for the ps4---DEM GRAPHICS----and games, i hope. :P

• GreenizdabestGreenizdabest Southeast CT - USARegistered User regular
    Echoing a Fallout release. I'd also love to see Nintendo push out a new Metroid and/or new Zelda for the WiiU. I'd completely buy a WiiU if they dropped one of those on us, or possibly a graphically brushed up Pokemon X/Y. I'd like to see Blizzard there again as well.

I know this is a weird 'want' but I'd kind of like to see the Nintendo 2DS. I don't want one (really want the 3DSxl) but I'd love to see exactly how big it is and what it's like to play on it.

I would be very surprised to not see the 2DS. Nintendo always seems to have their entire offerings to show at PAX.

• PurpleSkyPurpleSky Registered User regular
    Unless I am as blind as a bat, I was really hoping Dark Souls II would be at Prime this year. I did not see it. Anyone else from Prime see it there? Though it will probably be out already I hope it shows up at East 2014.

• PurpleSkyPurpleSky Registered User regular

The rift was at prime this year and it was incredible. I'm pretty sure they'll be at East also, makes sense for them to be.

• TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    PurpleSky wrote: »
    Unless I am as blind as a bat, I was really hoping Dark Souls II would be at Prime this year. I did not see it. Anyone else from Prime see it there? Though it will probably be out already I hope it shows up at East 2014.
    Dark Souls 2 was not at Prime, since I don't think Namco was there this year (they were the Publisher I believe.)

• ervtronervtron PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    would be really awesome to be able to play a demo for Destiny or Infamous Second Son

• TinksTinks Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Resolve the situation with food at the Convention Center. It's incredibly overpriced and expensive, and the building itself is located in a part of Boston that is far away from anything reasonable.
    Anything that isn't too overpriced and is located on the show floor is also really unhealthy.
    Is there any luck in bringing in vendors that could fix this?

Tournament sign ups are also an area I feel needs attention? But I don't even know if it can be resolved. Are people showing up Friday to sign up for the tourneys held all weekend long? Because they fill up incredibly fast, and if you aren't one of the first in line I feel you just miss out on that part of the convention always.

Also tournaments for more relevant games in general. I was pretty surprised games like Battlefield 3, or PC games in general were absent.

Tinks on
  • BinaryTBBinaryTB Registered User regular
    Tinks wrote: »
    Resolve the situation with food at the Convention Center. It's incredibly overpriced and expensive, and the building itself is located in a part of Boston that is far away from anything reasonable.
    Anything that isn't too overpriced and is located on the show floor is also really unhealthy.
    Is there any luck in bringing in vendors that could fix this?

(Food)
    YES! The food situation is pretty bad. Vendors are all really unhealthy, if you want something healthy, go to the hotel restaurants, which are really really expensive. Toss in the fact that you're a vegetarian and that entire weekend is a wallet drain and an artery clog.

Boston has a really good food truck selection:
    http://www.cityofboston.gov/business/mobile/

I'm sure most/all of them wouldn't mind the business if they had a designated area where they could park all weekend (like most food truck locations). Heck, even bring them inside alongside the other vendors, there's definitely enough space in the food area!

How about shuttles that go to/from Chinatown? Lots of great food there, good prices, and did I mention great food? Very close drive to BCEC too! ~5 minutes (~10 minutes in traffic).

Also, for the tabletop area, a couple suggestions:

(1) Table numbers? Or at least general "named" sections. No idea how hard it was to find friends in that large hall, especially since cell phones don't work.

(2) You know those big projection screens that are only used the first day in the waiting area and then go unused the entire weekend? Can we move them to somewhere in/around the Table Top area and they just display #TTLFG? Again, it was really tough finding a quick game or getting people to join some open spots in ours.

People have always wanted food trucks at the BCEC for PAX and it's never happened. I'm just speculating, but I think there are rules or a law that keeps them from getting to close. The vendors in the BCEC (the food court on the 3rd floor, I think) aren't that bad. Yes, it's pricey, but there is a big selection of stuff. You'll have to face it for now, Boston wants to change the area around the BCEC, but it's going to take years to do that. Also, if you are talking about the carnival food on the ground floor, then yes, I agree. Get rid of that stuff. I wonder, are there rules that state you can't drive a vehicle into that building? Having food trucks inside could possibly be a way to get around any possible law or rule that might be in place.