As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Astonishing X-Men

• Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Hardtarget wrote:
    Mel wrote:
    The cover for issue 19 (assuming it holds any actual meaning)...
    [spoiler:cec73a9883]has Emma still on the team and Scott without a visor.[/spoiler:cec73a9883]

the second part of that is fucking awesome, i hope that actually happens.

You want that to happen to Cyclops?

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Hardtarget wrote:
    Mel wrote:
    The cover for issue 19 (assuming it holds any actual meaning)...
    [spoiler:4552347e52]has Emma still on the team and Scott without a visor.[/spoiler:4552347e52]

the second part of that is fucking awesome, i hope that actually happens.

You want that to happen to Cyclops?

I kinda do...considering how many healing superhumans there are, not to mention cybernetics and normal medical technology, when you think about it it becomes really hard to explain why he hasn't been healed yet. The only downside is that if he stops wearing the visor he'd need a new codename.

When you think about it, Cyke is the only one of the original X-Men not to have had significant changes in his powers.

Marvel Girl -> Phoenix Force
    Beast -> Furry blue, then Cat blue on top of that
    Iceman -> From a snowman to living water
    Angel -> Archangel, and his new healing blood

Scooter on
  • Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I don't mind the change in powers (hell, take away the involuntary aspect to Rogue's powers so we don't have to have a "wah, I can't touch people!" story every year), but the fact that all of the other original X-men had changes that allowed them to keep their names (except Marvel Girl, 'cause that name sucks) is really important. Change is cool and all, but you can't really change the name of someone like Cyclops. It'd be like changing Iron Man to Robot Man or something.

If there's a way to change his powers to make them voluntary while still allowing him to keep his moniker, they can try it, but otherwise it's not worth it at all. I don't want Biclops or Laservision or something. It probably wouldn't stick, though, because he's just too generic without his visor or ruby-quartz glasses. Brown hair, brown eyes, thirty-something white dude?

...At least the change would allow everyone to grasp the fact that his eyes are brown.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I think that, even if his mental block/head trauma/whatever was corrected, Scott would still wear the visor for precision. Being able to not fire his eye beams at will doesn't mean he still won't need the thing for controlling the blasts when he does turn them on.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Yeah, its been shown that when Scott uses his optic blasts without the visor the beams are pretty much full power and hard to focus. Even if he did'nt need the visor anymore he might still wear it because it give him much more control over things.

Marathon on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Man, now I have to go hunt down the rest of the series. I enjoyed Gifted and Dangerous, but the recent stuff (even in vague descriptions) sounds awesome.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    SASA Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Maybe he could like control the beams via his eye's lenses.

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Has Cyke ever had control? I know there's times when he's had no powers at all, but I can't recall him being able to control it normally.

I would imagine that if he was fully healed he would be able to control the strength without needing the visor. No other energy blaster types fire on max all the time.

Scooter on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I'd like to see him sans visor, though it does raise continuity issues all over the place, since it seems Astonishing takes place around Decimation and Cycs has been using a visor through Civil War.

He also might still be able to use the name Cyclops without the visor if he shots one focused beam from his eyes. It'd be a bit of a stretch, butI honestly don't think anyone would care enough to bitch at him abotu what he wants to call himself.

werehippy on
  • Options
    SkwirlSkwirl Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I think Scott can be called whatever he wants to be called, especially if he doesn't need the visor and can shoot death rays from his eyes at will. Remember what he did to that sentinal in the first part of the Danger arc on Astonishing, I mean damn.

Skwirl on
  • Options
    AzraelAzrael Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    No, they've shown her having the ability to be variably phased in the past. Conceptually, it's a nightmare (e.g. how does her blood circulation work? etc.) but they've done it. For example (I don't know issue numbers) during the period when sabertooth was being given therapy in the mansion (and had a weird Hannibal-style facemask and gauntlets to keep him in line) Kitty at one point was holding him down physically while also keeping a phased arm in Creed's forehead.

More simply, if she could'nt phare variably she would fall through the floor whenever she went through a wall.

Azrael on
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Azrael wrote:
    No, they've shown her having the ability to be variably phased in the past. Conceptually, it's a nightmare (e.g. how does her blood circulation work? etc.) but they've done it. For example (I don't know issue numbers) during the period when sabertooth was being given therapy in the mansion (and had a weird Hannibal-style facemask and gauntlets to keep him in line) Kitty at one point was holding him down physically while also keeping a phased arm in Creed's forehead.

More simply, if she could'nt phare variably she would fall through the floor whenever she went through a wall.

I dont know if its been mentioned, but when Wolverine was Death, he attacked the X-men.

So last 2 X-men left were Colossus and Kitty, he took out colossus with some Apocolypse tech stuff, but Kitty was putting up a good figh with her kick ass kitana, ...

Until Wolverine stabed Kitty on her feet, stating that she needed to concentrate so that she dosent go thru the floor while she physically attacks someone.

Basically when she punchs, pushes, use her body that would need some type of surface to push against, she is solis in that place, but only in that circumstance.

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    I would imagine that if he was fully healed he would be able to control the strength without needing the visor. No other energy blaster types fire on max all the time.

Yeah.

Really, it's just up to whatever Wheadon wants to do.

august on
  • Options
    laughterkillsmelaughterkillsme Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Astonishing X-Men is great. Only Marvel comic I've seen in a long time that I care all that much to read.

laughterkillsme on
    freealonesig.jpg
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    august wrote:
    Scooter wrote:

Yeah.

Really, it's just up to whatever Wheadon wants to do.

I guess I just don't see how they're going to plausably fix him... if it were mental you think Professor X or Jean would have done it a long time ago, and if it were physical you'd think Beast or Moira McTaggart would have had a crack at fixing him. I mean, what, is he just gonna wake up all better?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Maybe it's a bit of both?

Perhaps it was physical all the times Jean and Prof. X tried to fix it, and it was too risky(being brain related) for anyone else to try? And after it "healed" naturally, it was psychosematic. Scott thought he still couldn't control it.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited September 2006

Perhaps it was physical all the times Jean and Prof. X tried to fix it, and it was too risky(being brain related) for anyone else to try? And after it "healed" naturally, it was psychosematic. Scott thought he still couldn't control it.

Definitely more plausible then anything I could think of. Luckily, I trust Joss enough to know that any explanation will be both plausible and hard-on inducing...

This has been a production of fan-boy theater... but at least I can admit it. :)

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Ghost Rider 2099Ghost Rider 2099 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Didn't Elixer heal every one after the fight with Danger? After that it was his own fears. I think that it was established that the control for it was mental when Whedon showed the flashback of Jean Grey holding it back. Either way point is that the writer is pointing out the patheticness (is that a word) of Scott Summers leader extrodinaire. These seems to be an on going motif. Carried over from Morrisons run with the bug room.

Ghost Rider 2099 on
    5.gifCrackdown_21.thumbnail.jpgI follow console news because it's fun, like tracking the rivalries in what was once called the World Wrestling Federation. There are larger than life characters. There are signature techniques.
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I just picked up the first trade for this and now I'm sad because I'm going to be spending so much money on it. :P

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Didn't Elixer heal every one after the fight with Danger? After that it was his own fears. I think that it was established that the control for it was mental when Whedon showed the flashback of Jean Grey holding it back. Either way point is that the writer is pointing out the patheticness (is that a word) of Scott Summers leader extrodinaire. These seems to be an on going motif. Carried over from Morrisons run with the bug room.

I agree that Scott's powers are mentally, not physically, limited at this point, but I don't think the point of this exercise has been to make Scott seem pathetic. If anything it's made me like him more, and I've never been an especially big fan of Cyclops.

It shows us that under everything else Scott is ultimately just human. He was faced with something he couldn't handle as a child, and just refused to deal with it. And now we see how that rippled out and effected everything he's touched.

I personally thought it was great, and I'm looking forward to seeing how Scott moves forward once he's actually acknowledged his self-impossed limitations.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    werehippy wrote:

I agree that Scott's powers are mentally, not physically, limited at this point, but I don't think the point of this exercise has been to make Scott seem pathetic. If anything it's made me like him more, and I've never been an especially big fan of Cyclops.

It shows us that under everything else Scott is ultimately just human. He was faced with something he couldn't handle as a child, and just refused to deal with it. And now we see how that rippled out and effected everything he's touched.

I personally thought it was great, and I'm looking forward to seeing how Scott moves forward once he's actually acknowledged his self-impossed limitations.

Agreed... this can only help Scott's character, perhaps make him more 3-dimensional and less like an X-Men shaped Sentinel. I mean hell, even the whole Vulcan thing didn't help him seem less wooden. I think Cyclops has a lot of potential, but in the entire run of X-Men I don't think I've ever seen it tapped. Typically, Scott is overshadowed by the events surrounding him... it's about time he actually contributed something or evolved in some way.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited September 2006

I forget when, but there was a point when he fell and hit his head in the exact same spot that he did when he was a kid. It was supposed to have fixed the physical trauma due to comic book medicine, but I don't think anyone ever went anywhere with it.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    GigatonGigaton Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Azrael wrote:

That's not really true, part of her phasing power is that she can "walk on air" molecules. Also that earlier description is called "multi-phasing" it happens when you keep one part of yourself tangible while another part is phased but both parts of your body are still in the same molecular vibration synch with each other.

Gigaton on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    In any event, shadowcat is clearly the most powerful x-person.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    In any event, shadowcat is clearly the most powerful x-person.
    You're racist.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Snakes on a Plane would have been much better if shadowcat was in samuel l. jackson's role

the special internet dialogue would be "Fuck this shit I'm out of here."

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    spidahspidah Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Dudes...the new one's out. Discuss.

All I have to say is that 500 pounds of shit are hitting at least 20 fans.

spidah on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2006
    Holy shit, Cyclops.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    The CowThe Cow Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Fucking, yes.

Also much love to the beer can. I'm so goddamn ready for the next issue I may just have to choke a bitch.

The Cow on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    So today has to be the day I decide I'm too tired to go to the shop.

WOO.

august on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    spidah wrote:
    Dudes...the new one's out. Discuss.

All I have to say is that 500 pounds of shit are hitting at least 20 fans.

All I have to say is:

[spoiler:39530fde31]HOORAY BEER![/spoiler:39530fde31]

Furu on
  • Options
    jarednielsonjarednielson Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Wait what happened?

jarednielson on
    1fdd6q1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    So...

[spoiler:06566dbc0a] what the fuck? [/spoiler:06566dbc0a]

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Geebs wrote:
    Holy shit, Cyclops.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Oh man oh man oh man this might be the best issue yet. Hard to top last month's, but seriously

Cyclops. Win.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Someone spoil this for me, please. My comic shop isn't getting it's shipment till Friday, and I can't wait that long.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2006
    jeepguy wrote:
    Someone spoil this for me, please. My comic shop isn't getting it's shipment till Friday, and I can't wait that long.
    [spoiler:102586c126] Basically the White Queen is the evil part of Emma Frost, she has tricked Kitty into retreiving Cassandra Nova's body(I think) from the basment of the X-mansion. Peter finds her with the body White Queen knocks them both out. Cassandra Nova is sayng how she's going to use Kitty's body, she asks how long it will take.
    WQ: Minutes at most...but tell me
    BLAM BLAM BLAM
    WQ: Im...impossible.
    Offpanel: I'm sorry, but it's like you said Emma.
    Cyclops is standing there visorless holding a pistol.
    Cyclops: I don't have any claws.[/spoiler:102586c126]

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    jeepguy wrote:

[realspoiler:977f8289fd]Everything appears to be a part of Emma's psyche rebelling, and she's been manipulating everyone into thinking it's the hellfire club and cassandra nova. She messes with Kitty's mind so she thinks she gave birth to a child, but it was taken away for having a too-dangerous mutant power. She imagines that it's being held in that metal box thing we saw last issue, but she can't phase through it without extreme difficulty due to hyperdense random molecules or some crap. Turns out it's cassandra nova in that morphing alien thing. At the end, Cyclops shows up, shoots Emma three times in the back, and says "Sorry, but it's like you said, Emma. I don't have claws." Also he doesn't have a visor on.[/realspoiler:977f8289fd]

It's pretty much the coolest thing cyclops has ever done.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    This is me not reading that stuff. OH GOD OH GOD. Tommorow! Tommorow.

august on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    jeepguy wrote:

[realspoiler:bfaf99481b]Everything appears to be a part of Emma's psyche rebelling, and she's been manipulating everyone into thinking it's the hellfire club and cassandra nova. She messes with Kitty's mind so she thinks she gave birth to a child, but it was taken away for having a too-dangerous mutant power. She imagines that it's being held in that metal box thing we saw last issue, but she can't phase through it without extreme difficulty due to hyperdense random molecules or some crap. Turns out it's cassandra nova in that morphing alien thing. At the end, Cyclops shows up, shoots Emma three times in the back, and says "Sorry, but it's like you said, Emma. I don't have claws." Also he doesn't have a visor on.[/realspoiler:bfaf99481b]

It's pretty much the coolest thing cyclops has ever done.
    Also, the S.W.O.R.D. mole in the X-Men?

[realspoiler:bfaf99481b]Lockheed.[/realspoiler:bfaf99481b]

And miscellaneous other spoilers:
    [realspoiler:bfaf99481b]Wolverine is finally back as himself. Thanks to beer.
    Beast is in the forest and eats a deer.
    Danger and Ord are now in the mansion, though someone or something is messing with Danger's abilities somehow. Ord begs her, "Please. Help me save the world."[/realspoiler:bfaf99481b]

Htown on
    steam_sig.png