As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV:ARR] Servers Up!, and surprisingly stable! 7 free days starting 9/4/13

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    jdmichal wrote: »
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Head's up. Magitek Armor moubt is a reward for beating the very last and final story mission.

The story itself took a max level character doing only it 30 hours to do, and they said it was better than CoP's.

I was just about to post this. Dude had lot's of very good things to say about the story. It's gonna be funny though once everyone has the magitech armor. I'll prolly just stick to Choco .....

I got one thing to say to that...
    COEURL1.png

Oh yea, I guess I'll have the psycho kitty too. Have to see who I like better.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    @Miniwolf Thanks, that helps but that chart is still so poorly put together it's still pretty hard to make much sense of it. I think I'll have better luck going to each vendor at the GC's and looking at the stat's myself.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I find it helps if I write down the point at which I move from the story quest line to side quests. Then I can just reference a piece of paper and bam, back on track. The Recommendations from the Duty menu will only tell you what quests are available in the zone you are in, so if you don't know which zone you left off in, you're in trouble.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    I find it helps if I write down the point at which I move from the story quest line to side quests. Then I can just reference a piece of paper and bam, back on track. The Recommendations from the Duty menu will only tell you what quests are available in the zone you are in, so if you don't know which zone you left off in, you're in trouble.

Ah, that's good to know about the Recommendations menu. Thanks.

• Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    Almost got every crafting class up to 15. HQ'ing things is extremely fun and rewarding.

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Head's up. Magitek Armor moubt is a reward for beating the very last and final story mission.

The story itself took a max level character doing only it 30 hours to do, and they said it was better than CoP's.

That's a cool reward for finishing the main scenario, but Yoshi-P originally made it sound like it was going to require significant work to earn that mount. I guess I took that to mean something comparable to old FFXI unlocks.

I'm glad it's something I can obtain easily, but also rather bummed that it won't be long before I see a literal army of Magitek mounts running around the field.

Also kudos for the Minion List, something that I think deserves to be put on the OP. The Markets on Saturday were selling most of those minions at 30k or more.

Now if only I could log in (world is full).

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Alright FFXIVers, fairly longtime ex-FFXI player here. I played the open beta a week ago and now I'm actually having serious thoughts about picking this up. I have a few questions that I was hoping some kindly folk here would be able to answer.

1. Economy - I realize the game is new but even those of you who've been a part of the beta process will hopefully have an idea of how it will play out. FFXI's economy was the first and only one that ever broke me to the point that I actually purchased gil. Yeah I know, but look, when you are straight up ignored/kicked out of leveling parties for not having the right gear, and the only option to get it is to pay literally millions of gil for it on the Auction House because getting it organically means getting a rare drop from a NM that is camped literally every second of every day, you do what you have to do (which eventually became "Move to World of Warcraft", but before that was an option, I bought gil). So! With that said, how does the economy look here? I guess I'm really asking more about viability of craftable goods, quest and dungeon rewards. Is this actually good gear or are the good things dropped by NMs (thus making the AH-based economy my only gearing option)? Which brings me to my next question:

2. Named Mobs - Do they exist? If so, do they drop unique gear? I didn't come across any in my admittedly limited experience with the open beta (only made it to level 15 on my Pugilist), but hopefully if they do exist they don't have ridiculous respawn timers and thus will hopefully not be camped by people 24/7 as those in FFXI were.

3. Grouping - How mandatory is it? I've read that you can level to cap entirely solo, which would be great, but if solo play starts and stops there, that's something I'd like to know before I drop the cash on this. I'm still active in WoW so I'd be splitting time between that and FFXIV, so things like leveling and dungeons would encompass the majority of my time.

4. Pre-Ordering: I was planning on heading to Gamestop today to use a bit of the credit I had on some other purchases and noticed that the CE for this game is pretty inexpensive. Would I still be in time to get the preorder goods or not? This one's not a huge issue, I'm just curious what the official pre-order/launch cutoff is with all the login issues/error message hubbub that's being going on with the game for you early access people.

I see this thread moves pretty fast so thanks to anyone who can answer these for me.

I really feel like the economy issue will be fixed by their handling of how gear works, ie in dungeons and through quests, similar to WoW. No rare mobs that have a 10 percent chance to drop a pair of gloves that you apparently NEED to have, because of reasons. That, and crafting is WAY less punishing and enigmatic. It's pretty difficult to keep a crafting job levelled at the same rate as a battle one, so crafting your own gear seems pretty iffy at this point, but crafting is easy enough where there shouldn't be as much AH markup on items.

As of level 25, I haven't seen any random named mobs outside of duties, story quests, or FATES. FATES don't drop any gear, and in the other two, it was less that they're named for the loot they carry, but for end boss/story purposes. The era of farming Leaping LIzzy is over, it seems.

Grouping isn't mandatory because of the leve system, FATES, and Hunting Logs, but probably isn't the most efficient way. Not every quest is story-based, and each city has their own "area quests" even after you've levelled your Arcanist out of Limsa Lominsa to 50, and you go to Gridania because you want to level your Lancer, you'll still have those level 1/5/10 quests hanging around the city. Leves are great, but you can only do a finite number of them before you run out and have to wait to recharge, and FATES are very very common.

Last one, I don't know. I'd check GMG, and if the offer still stands to pre-order the game, I'd do it ASAP. Logic tells me that you SHOULD be able to pre-order anytime before game launch (2am PDT on the 27th, if they keep their current pattern) but I'm not 100% on that.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    I'm a FFXIV 1.0 CE user.
    Do I have to do anything other than logging in tomorrow using the launcher and getting my CE stuff automatically?

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    @Miniwolf Thanks, that helps but that chart is still so poorly put together it's still pretty hard to make much sense of it. I think I'll have better luck going to each vendor at the GC's and looking at the stat's myself.

From what I see on that chart, Immortal Flames has the highest INT and MIND totals it looks like from just their gear, so they'd be good for CNJ, THM and ACN.

but that only shows a head and body piece.

If you wanted a GC set up though it looks like you'd want all the GC sets. From that chart, Twin Adder would get hands and Legs (all) and earrings and Maelstorm would get feet and ring.

So, by that count if you want the most from just one GC that would be Immortal Flames (26). If you get all the GCs (dunno if ring count twice) then you'd get 58 int and 52 mnd total for a caster (not including shield).

So you can read it as each line tells you what stat distribution gives the most for DoW or DoM, and if you add all three up then you'd get that much from having all the eq from each GC.

So immortal flames is good for DoM if you want the biggest gains, while Maelstorm is the best Str and dex hit for DoW, while twin adder looks to be avg between the two. So if you want an overall balance, Twin Adder looks good.

At least that's how I'm readnig the 5 first stats. if you factor ACC or other thigns in there then you'll get a different view.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Great info @Javen thanks very much. Very encouraging to hear. Hopefully those days of soul-crushing grinds and rare drop farming are long behind me.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Riokenn wrote: »
    I'm a FFXIV 1.0 CE user.
    Do I have to do anything other than logging in tomorrow using the launcher and getting my CE stuff automatically?

I am wondering about that as well. I assume so.

Tomorrow will be the cool day. Of course, I have to run to a job interview that day, but I'll mess around with it in the morning.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Nyht wrote: »
    I thought I was fine with Bards losing support for more dps but honestly the more I think about it and play, the more regular dps is kind of boring me. Well that and the 35 minute queues.

I would have prefered if Bard stayed support and they just added Ranger or something later - and I say this as someone who would be more interested in playing a Ranger then a Bard.

Just feels weird. I wonder how often they are going to add new jobs?

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »
    Got Arcanist to 31 and played with Summoner/Scholar.

You can't command pets while casting, which sucks. Some fight mechanics are immune to debuffs so you're left to your pet and Ruin to kill it. Which is a problem since these might be things you have to kill quickly or wipe.

Summoner plays exactly like Arcanist, except your pet is stronger (higher potency on the auto attack) and you don't get Aero/Protect from Cleric anymore.

Scholar healing is fun. Your pet auto-heals anyone with less than ~80% max health, and they have decent buffs. You don't get an AoE heal until 35 and don't get Esuna till 40 though. Succor 1 is Cure 2 and Succor 2 is Medica, except half the potency goes to a shield. Which is cool since you can precast Succor 1/2 in anticipation of damage instead of just reacting to it, and take less aggro.

Scholars don't get an equivalent to White Mage's Regen, and a Regen is freaking 150 potency per tick HoT. The pet casts heals with a potency of 300, though, which makes up for it, but again Regen is amazing.

I hate having to level 30 in a DPS class to heal but the Scholar looks like a fun time in healing so I might just have to suck it up. Made worse that the shield is less effective if it can even use it (Protect). Missing out on a regen is also rough but having a Faerie fly around to heal is just too cool.

... I have no idea what I want to be anymore.

• Options
    I thought I was fine with Bards losing support for more dps but honestly the more I think about it and play, the more regular dps is kind of boring me. Well that and the 35 minute queues.

I would have prefered if Bard stayed support and they just added Ranger or something later - and I say this as someone who would be more interested in playing a Ranger then a Bard.

Yeah it's made me look at healing or tanking for something more exciting to do than just DPS with a few replenshing resource moves.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

But Bards are support. Removing Conjurer from their cross-class list made sense as they wouldn't be able to heal for shit with no points into caster stats. They replaced it with a class that gives useful skills to them.

They provide unique and powerful buffs to their party at the cost of dps. That's Support. You can be Support without being a Healer.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options

But Bards are support. Removing Conjurer from their cross-class list made sense as they wouldn't be able to heal for shit with no points into caster stats. They replaced it with a class that gives useful skills to them.

They provide unique and powerful buffs to their party at the cost of dps. That's Support. You can be Support without being a Healer.

It's a type of support but I would have preferred buffs of some kind or I would even love a HoT Song. Instead its mostly just "Refresh resources if you get low" along with make enemies take 10% more elemental damage (if that still exists). I won't deny they might come in handy or be needed even but ... I don't know. It just doesn't CLICK as much for me as what I had envisioned, all of which IS on me as I agree with what you said about healing spells and such.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Aside from Jobs I do hope they keep adding new classes as well.

I fully expect SE to add Musketeer sooner or later to Limsa so that each town has 3 classes (plus there is already a freaking Musketeer guild).

I am very surprised they didn't have a Rogue type class, although I guess Pugilist is similar in execution.

As someone else brought up in the last thread I'd love to see Chemist as a Job for Musketeer. Or perhaps even Engineer.

They gotta add Dark Knight to balance Paladin. :P

Also I gotta have me my Samurai!

...Y'know what? Pretty much add all the classes from FFXI.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Chemist branching from Musketeer makes too much sense.

What better way to heal your allies than throwing a potion at them, then shattering the vial mid-flight with a flintlock.

"You're getting potion everywhere!"
    "Your HP is full, stop whining!"

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Miniwolf wrote: »
    Does the gear you get from the GC's differ in a meaningful way in stat allocation? For example, is the gear from the Gridania based GC better for ARC, CNJ, and LNC than the other two? A chart was posted on Imgur of the level 50 gear, http://imgur.com/r/ffxiv/Vp8Xt6Q, but it's not really helping much.

@Cormac

God that chart looks like it was designed by a 12 year old.

Look at the totals. I trimmed it down a bit so make it easier to read. I didn't include the weapons because that part you can figure out.
    AnTKox1.jpg

I am still trying to figure out what the person felt it necessary to have the stats so far apart. bigger does not make it better.
    Hmm...surprising.

Casters should just pick Immortal Flames, physical DPS should pick Maelstrom, tanks can pick anything really. Edge case physical DPS who need CHR/don't get free crits and don't have TP to really make use of SKS maybe want Twin Adder (Lancer?)

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »
    Got Arcanist to 31 and played with Summoner/Scholar.

You can't command pets while casting, which sucks. Some fight mechanics are immune to debuffs so you're left to your pet and Ruin to kill it. Which is a problem since these might be things you have to kill quickly or wipe.

Summoner plays exactly like Arcanist, except your pet is stronger (higher potency on the auto attack) and you don't get Aero/Protect from Cleric anymore.

Scholar healing is fun. Your pet auto-heals anyone with less than ~80% max health, and they have decent buffs. You don't get an AoE heal until 35 and don't get Esuna till 40 though. Succor 1 is Cure 2 and Succor 2 is Medica, except half the potency goes to a shield. Which is cool since you can precast Succor 1/2 in anticipation of damage instead of just reacting to it, and take less aggro.

Scholars don't get an equivalent to White Mage's Regen, and a Regen is freaking 150 potency per tick HoT. The pet casts heals with a potency of 300, though, which makes up for it, but again Regen is amazing.

I hate having to level 30 in a DPS class to heal but the Scholar looks like a fun time in healing so I might just have to suck it up. Made worse that the shield is less effective if it can even use it (Protect). Missing out on a regen is also rough but having a Faerie fly around to heal is just too cool.

... I have no idea what I want to be anymore.

I originally meant to run the storyline with arcanist, but i started on conjuror so leveling to 15 would be less obnoxious and have been having so much fun on that, now i can't decide which to pick at 30. I'm inclined to stay a healer though. Instant dungeon queues are nice.

• Options
    Now that I think of it I can see Chemist and Engineer branching off of Musketeer. One more Support leaning and one DPS leaning.

Hm, actually working off the idea that each class gets one support and one dps job, what would the others end up being?

Ranger for Archer I'd imagine is a no-brainer.
    Dark Knight for Gladiator.
    Conjurer & Thaumaturge come together for Red Mage, maybe? Not exactly sure what the dps/support would be for those two respectively.
    Not sure for Lancer... brainwashed schmuck?
    For Marauder I'm none to sure either, maybe something to do with shouts?

• Options
    MiniwolfMiniwolf Probably somewhere sniffing somethingRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Does the gear you get from the GC's differ in a meaningful way in stat allocation? For example, is the gear from the Gridania based GC better for ARC, CNJ, and LNC than the other two? A chart was posted on Imgur of the level 50 gear, http://imgur.com/r/ffxiv/Vp8Xt6Q, but it's not really helping much.

@Cormac

God that chart looks like it was designed by a 12 year old.

Look at the totals. I trimmed it down a bit so make it easier to read. I didn't include the weapons because that part you can figure out.
    AnTKox1.jpg

I am still trying to figure out what the person felt it necessary to have the stats so far apart. bigger does not make it better.
    Hmm...surprising.

Casters should just pick Immortal Flames, physical DPS should pick Maelstrom, tanks can pick anything really. Edge case physical DPS who need CHR/don't get free crits and don't have TP to really make use of SKS maybe want Twin Adder (Lancer?)

MRD/WAR tanks seem so far to be theory crafted into stacking STR as much as possible, to get the most out of their lifesteal. So Maelstorm seems best for them.

I am MRD/WAR tank and I went Maelstrom not because of it was best for my class. I went it because F-Yah Pirates....

Miniwolf on
    League Of Legends: Ulven
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    No one has screen capped these armor sets yet? ; ;

• Options
    edited August 2013

I have like 30 screenshots of my character fishing, if that helps.

Seriously though everyone check your Mog Mail when you log in for your preorder and 1.0 bonuses.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Renzo wrote: »

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! :P

Axen on
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »

Seriously though everyone check your Mog Mail when you log in for your preorder and 1.0 bonuses.

Pics or it didn't happen.

• Options
    Also, does fishing look to be a way to make any money? Not looking to get rich but if one were to fish can they look forward to more than just the relaxation of fishing?

• Options
    Also, does fishing look to be a way to make any money? Not looking to get rich but if one were to fish can they look forward to more than just the relaxation of fishing?

Not that I can tell from being lvl 8.

Maybe later on, with higher level, higher-quality fish, maybe culinarians will want them to make awesome food? I'm just guessing though.

• Options
    charrbroiledcharrbroiled 'dis guy Registered User regular
    So -- I asked earlier, but here it is condensed again hopefully someone can answer: Is today better than yesterday in terms of logging in?

4d93c4f1d9d6247c.png
    Guild Wars 2: Tyreh, asura Warrior
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    So -- I asked earlier, but here it is condensed again hopefully someone can answer: Is today better than yesterday in terms of logging in?

I've logged in 3 times in the last uhh, 5 hours? Just to check things. All 3 times I've logged in on the first attempt, only once was I even placed in a queue (I was 5th). I'm on Ultros, so I have no idea what other servers are like, but for me I can get on and play without any issue right now. I doubt it'll be as smooth later today, though, but I can be hopeful.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    MiniwolfMiniwolf Probably somewhere sniffing somethingRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013

Its fine right now. As for peak, no idea we will not hit that for another 3-5 hours. it should be noted between 6 and 10pm CST last night I had no problem entering instances for quests or for Duty Finder.

Miniwolf on
    League Of Legends: Ulven
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • Options

Its fine right now. As for peak, No idea We will not hit that for another 3-5 hours. it should be noted between 6 and 10pm CST last night I had no problem entering instances for quests or for Duty Finder.

Yeah this afternoon will be a real test.

Monday mornings generally means off to work for many people and (as I understand it) today is also the first day of school for much of the US.

• Options
    This weekend (Labor Day) is going to be impossible.

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Alright FFXIVers, fairly longtime ex-FFXI player here. I played the open beta a week ago and now I'm actually having serious thoughts about picking this up. I have a few questions that I was hoping some kindly folk here would be able to answer.

1. Economy - I realize the game is new but even those of you who've been a part of the beta process will hopefully have an idea of how it will play out. FFXI's economy was the first and only one that ever broke me to the point that I actually purchased gil. Yeah I know, but look, when you are straight up ignored/kicked out of leveling parties for not having the right gear, and the only option to get it is to pay literally millions of gil for it on the Auction House because getting it organically means getting a rare drop from a NM that is camped literally every second of every day, you do what you have to do (which eventually became "Move to World of Warcraft", but before that was an option, I bought gil). So! With that said, how does the economy look here? I guess I'm really asking more about viability of craftable goods, quest and dungeon rewards. Is this actually good gear or are the good things dropped by NMs (thus making the AH-based economy my only gearing option)? Which brings me to my next question:

2. Named Mobs - Do they exist? If so, do they drop unique gear? I didn't come across any in my admittedly limited experience with the open beta (only made it to level 15 on my Pugilist), but hopefully if they do exist they don't have ridiculous respawn timers and thus will hopefully not be camped by people 24/7 as those in FFXI were.

3. Grouping - How mandatory is it? I've read that you can level to cap entirely solo, which would be great, but if solo play starts and stops there, that's something I'd like to know before I drop the cash on this. I'm still active in WoW so I'd be splitting time between that and FFXIV, so things like leveling and dungeons would encompass the majority of my time.

4. Pre-Ordering: I was planning on heading to Gamestop today to use a bit of the credit I had on some other purchases and noticed that the CE for this game is pretty inexpensive. Would I still be in time to get the preorder goods or not? This one's not a huge issue, I'm just curious what the official pre-order/launch cutoff is with all the login issues/error message hubbub that's being going on with the game for you early access people.

I see this thread moves pretty fast so thanks to anyone who can answer these for me.

The biggest thing I'd stress to you is that you're coming at this game with a lot of presumptions that are wholly inapplicable. FFXI is a game in the tradition of Everquest. FFXIV is a game in the tradition of WoW, with a lot of features lifted from other modern MMOs.

XI and XIV have very little in common aside from being Final Fantasy. Camping named mobs for gear or whatever is not a thing, as an example. That's very much the old school Everquest train of thought. The game is designed to be pretty much entirely soloable outside of dungeons/raid/guildhests, much like any other modern MMO.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Axen wrote: »
    Now that I think of it I can see Chemist and Engineer branching off of Musketeer. One more Support leaning and one DPS leaning.

Hm, actually working off the idea that each class gets one support and one dps job, what would the others end up being?

Ranger for Archer I'd imagine is a no-brainer.
    Dark Knight for Gladiator.
    Conjurer & Thaumaturge come together for Red Mage, maybe? Not exactly sure what the dps/support would be for those two respectively.
    Not sure for Lancer... brainwashed schmuck?
    For Marauder I'm none to sure either, maybe something to do with shouts?

I'd like to see Acupuncturist for Pugilists. Melee range healing/buffing/debuffing!

Zyrxil on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Well, shit.

Weather got bad, had a quick brownout, enough for my computer to reboot itself. Now I can't get in, error 3102. Am I locked out until they bring down the servers?

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Guys the job for Musketeer is going to be Red Mage this is just a fact. Think about it.

Musketeers wear a fancy hat.

Red Mages also wear a fancy hat. Check and mate, nerds.

Conjurer DPS is gonna be Geomancer because they already have a vaguely druidy thing going on with their storyline.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    Hmmm. The max server capacity thing scares me. If I don't get my buddy in on this server I'm gonna have to leave you guys. That would well and truly suck.

This discussion has been closed.