Need help finding a cheap "gamer" keyboard.

I'd like to get a keyboard that doesn't have a ghosting problem. So basically that's why it's a "gamer" keyboard. Cause in some games I play, there are certain 3 key combos I cannot do, and I die.

Essentially that is the only requirement I have with the keyboard specifications.

The only other requirement is that it be cheap. I'm thinking $35 is the max after tax/shipping etc...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823161013&Tpk=zboard

In the past I had this, but I threw it away because it was broke somehow? I can't remember what happened, but I know I had to replace it because something made it unusable essentially. I know it's not the best keyboard, but for the money and what you get it's not too bad.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA11P0C88197

This one also caught my eye, but the reviews say it feels cheap, and looking at it I can see that. But for the money it also seems like a pretty decent keyboard.

So, that's what I've found so far. Please recommend away or tell me some other things I should probably consider. I've never really shopped around for a keyboard. I've always gotten lucky that I've never had this ghosting problem that much. But it's bad on one of my favorite games, so I really need to do something about it.

Thanks.

steam_sig.png

Posts

  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    @Ryadic - If you can spring for a few more bucks, and tolerate some CoD branding, this Logitech G105 should do relatively well for you.

    You might also check around for used mechanical keyboards. Good ones are built like tanks, and the vast majority of recent models are geared toward gamers and/or keyboard snobs, both of which generally like having "anti-ghosting" features included.

    Alecthar on
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    I just want to throw out that while I totally understand the desire to skimp, you do get what you pay for. You can't really expect a $35 keyboard to last too long. If you go on a cost/year calculation, you're better off forking out at least $60 to get you a keyboard with anti-ghosting that will last you 3 years easy. My Razer keyboard cost me $75 and I've had it since '07. Only recently have I begun looking into a new keyboard, but only because certain keys are finally having the rubber coming off from constant use.

    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    I just want to throw out that while I totally understand the desire to skimp, you do get what you pay for. You can't really expect a $35 keyboard to last too long. If you go on a cost/year calculation, you're better off forking out at least $60 to get you a keyboard with anti-ghosting that will last you 3 years easy. My Razer keyboard cost me $75 and I've had it since '07. Only recently have I begun looking into a new keyboard, but only because certain keys are finally having the rubber coming off from constant use.

    Warning against newer razer stuff, especially mechs, quality has gone down the shitter and I'd stay away.

  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    iRevert wrote: »
    Warning against newer razer stuff, especially mechs, quality has gone down the shitter and I'd stay away.
    Really? NOOOOOOOOO.... that saddens me. I always loved Razer gear.

    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Some people have good results, most people don't. It is quite sad but they really took a dump in quality just take a look at the ONZA fiasco.

    If you're looking to get something that will last DAS and Ducky both would be my recommendations in Mechs.

    iRevert on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    Das are great, mine's a tank, but they aren't cheap. 120 bucks minimum new, unless you find a great sale.

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Null Registered User regular
    Cooler Master's mechs are pretty solid as well, and typically run cheaper or can be found on sale

    B.net: Naphtali#1830 | Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | PSN: EI-Naphtali | Wish List
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    Thanks guys, but I went with the ZBoard on Saturday. Before anyone responded. So far I'm happy with it, as I figured I would be. I used to own one a while ago, but cannot remember why I no longer have it. I think I spilled something on it. In any case, this is just a temporary keyboard to make some games I have play better.

    My end goal is a Logitech G Series. But I can't afford that.

    steam_sig.png
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    You should definitely look into a mechanical keyboard at some point. Your fingers will thank you. I have a Corsair K60 and it is so so nice.

    Twitch Streaming basically all week
    SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I mentioned in the mechanical keyboard that I had just ordered a Ducky Shine 3. I got it yesterday and it's pretty damn nice. I haven't used it for gaming just yet but plan to start the last Dishonored DLC tonight, so... It is a little on the loud side just typing, maybe I should've gotten some O-rings, we'll see. Might just be I still need to try to get used to not bottoming out the keys is all.

  • iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Dranyth wrote: »
    Yeah, I mentioned in the mechanical keyboard that I had just ordered a Ducky Shine 3. I got it yesterday and it's pretty damn nice. I haven't used it for gaming just yet but plan to start the last Dishonored DLC tonight, so... It is a little on the loud side just typing, maybe I should've gotten some O-rings, we'll see. Might just be I still need to try to get used to not bottoming out the keys is all.

    @Dranyth
    Update the firmware if you haven't already (or check to make sure it came with the updated firmware)
    https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/articles.php?article=ducky_shine_3_troubleshooting

    iRevert on
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    iRevert wrote: »
    Dranyth wrote: »
    Yeah, I mentioned in the mechanical keyboard that I had just ordered a Ducky Shine 3. I got it yesterday and it's pretty damn nice. I haven't used it for gaming just yet but plan to start the last Dishonored DLC tonight, so... It is a little on the loud side just typing, maybe I should've gotten some O-rings, we'll see. Might just be I still need to try to get used to not bottoming out the keys is all.

    @Dranyth
    Update the firmware if you haven't already (or check to make sure it came with the updated firmware)
    https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/articles.php?article=ducky_shine_3_troubleshooting

    @iRevert
    Huh, thanks for the head's up. Update went just fine. Man, updating keyboard firmwares now...

  • iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    Dranyth wrote: »
    iRevert wrote: »
    Dranyth wrote: »
    Yeah, I mentioned in the mechanical keyboard that I had just ordered a Ducky Shine 3. I got it yesterday and it's pretty damn nice. I haven't used it for gaming just yet but plan to start the last Dishonored DLC tonight, so... It is a little on the loud side just typing, maybe I should've gotten some O-rings, we'll see. Might just be I still need to try to get used to not bottoming out the keys is all.

    @Dranyth
    Update the firmware if you haven't already (or check to make sure it came with the updated firmware)
    https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/articles.php?article=ducky_shine_3_troubleshooting

    @iRevert
    Huh, thanks for the head's up. Update went just fine. Man, updating keyboard firmwares now...

    Chances are you wouldn't have ever had an issue but some people have had a issue so I wanted to bring it up

Sign In or Register to comment.