As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Industry] Everything is awesome and everyone is doomed.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    RE: The XboxOne - I still don't understand why so many people seem unable to understand why it isn't that great a thing that they changed their mind about all these bad decisions and policies.

Yeah, sure, if you were going to buy one anyway, it's great that its now a better console for you.

But speaking as someone who was on the fence before E3, Microsoft changing their policies doesn't fill me with much confidence about their future direction. They made these bad, uninformed, stupid policies to begin with. Fixing them doesn't change the fact that, at some point, they were having a final meeting about all of these directions pre-E3 and finished up that meeting by saying "ok awesome we are ready to go to the public with this console"

What dumbass thing are they going to come up with next, AFTER I potentially am already invested in the system?

This is exactly how I feel, especially after they did it already by updating the 360 interface to plaster ads all over everything. I'm ok with having ads on things - as long as I know it will before I buy it. They're completely ok worsening your experience once they have your money, and it's why I'm very dubious of anything more microsoft.

sig.gif
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    RE: The XboxOne - I still don't understand why so many people seem unable to understand why it isn't that great a thing that they changed their mind about all these bad decisions and policies.

Yeah, sure, if you were going to buy one anyway, it's great that its now a better console for you.

But speaking as someone who was on the fence before E3, Microsoft changing their policies doesn't fill me with much confidence about their future direction. They made these bad, uninformed, stupid policies to begin with. Fixing them doesn't change the fact that, at some point, they were having a final meeting about all of these directions pre-E3 and finished up that meeting by saying "ok awesome we are ready to go to the public with this console"

What dumbass thing are they going to come up with next, AFTER I potentially am already invested in the system?

Considering that they have had messaging issues about the Xbone since day one, I do not know why people seem unable to understand that changing your message on a weekly basis can be damaging.

I have not necessarily done the leg work, but I have a strong feeling that if you went and asked some people who are into video games but are not ass deep in the enthusiast press like we are some details about the Xbone, you would get some wildly varying answers.

The problem wasn't the messaging was bad, and I don't know why people keep saying this, it was that the thing they were saying was bad. The previous DRM was bad for consumers regardless of how they might have spun it.

Every once in a while there is something that just comes down to messaging, but the vast majority of the time, when people react badly it's either because the thing being said is terrible, or the thing being said is ambiguous and the person saying it has a history of doing terrible things. The EA statement above, for example, would go over considerably better if it weren't for Sim City being fresh in everyone's mind.

• Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    The problem is, everything MS do seems to be in reaction to the PS4. Sony announce a 15th November release date, and now there are rumours MS is going for the 8th, despite all the previous rumours they're having issues with manufacturing the console. The last thing MS needs is a shoddy console getting pushed out the door to try and get the jump on Sony resulting in massive failure rates.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Oakey wrote: »
    The problem is, everything MS do seems to be in reaction to the PS4. Sony announce a 15th November release date, and now there are rumours MS is going for the 8th, despite all the previous rumours they're having issues with manufacturing the console. The last thing MS needs is a shoddy console getting pushed out the door to try and get the jump on Sony resulting in massive failure rates.

I think it's safe to say that MS don't know what the fuck they're doing atm. They had a plan, the plan was shitty, they abandoned the plan, now they're winging it (as far as a mega corp can).

I actually almost feel bad for them.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    MS had a plan that people didn't like. I don't know that it was 100% "shitty." It was different and would have shaken some things up, but no one was willing to let them even try. Now that they've listened to the mob, they're still being shit on. I DO feel bad for them.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Exactly, it all smacks of desperation.

"This is our vision!"

Urgh, that's terrible, fuck your always online!

"Okay, we've removed the always online"

So? We still want to share our discs with friends!

"Erm... er... we have family plan!"

Yeah right! Go on then, explain how it works.

"Er... okay... okay.. you can share your discs"

We still don't like the mandatory Kinect watching us!

"Fine, fine, you don't have to have it connected. At All"

So you're continuing to make me buy a peripheral I don't even want that isn't even required and results in your product costing more than the competition?

"Well, maybe we'll have a Kinectless SKU, maybe not, just wait and see!"

Pffft, Sony have announced their release date

"WE WILL BEAT THEM BY A WEEK!"

Fuck you, I want a unicorn!

"WE'LL GIVE YOU TWO!!! PLEASE.. PLEASE BUY OUR PRODUCT"

Ewww, no, you're too clingy

Oakey on
  • Options
    Wait. How would they package the unicorns for mass distribution?

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    oh that's easy, through the cloud.

• Options
    oh that's easy, through the cloud.

Ah. Makes a disturbing amount of sense, using magic technobullshit to transport a mythical creature.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    The problem is, everything MS do seems to be in reaction to the PS4.

That's because that is exactly what's going on.

As others noted above. MS HAD a plan... it was different from Sony, it was different from everything. It may not have been perfect or even 100% complete yet... but then they got shit on by everyone and the preorder numbers basically sent them into panic mode.

So now they are "listening to the public" in an effort to erase all the negative PR and get back on track. None of the changes they have made so far are major in regards to the system itself. They are all just software updates that may or may not have had ready made code to do already.

The only 2 major changes would be the release date if they honestly were not ready for it, and a new SKU.

It can certainly hurt their image to keep changing specs... but in all honesty they aren't changing anything people aren't asking for. Oakey's post is spot on in that people are asking them for things, in some cases demanding it, then flipping MS off when they get it and bringing up something else.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I still enjoy the "The whole system was BUILT around this 24 hour authentication. You can't just pull a switch and remove it", then a few weeks later they remove it.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    They're both fine systems, it's just that one had some extra work to do to get to that point. I'm actually quite looking forward to the Xbox One now. I like the controller - I've also heard great buzz about its impulse triggers - and its launch lineup. Games such as Forza 5 and Dead Rising 3 are holding my interest more than Killzone and Knack. I'm even somewhat interested in Ryse. I like having dedicated servers for every multiplayer game. And it helps that more of my friends buying a new console this holiday are going with the Xbox. That latter point kind of seals the decision. I'm just going to pick up the PlayStation 4 a few months later, hopefully when more games I want are released for it.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    sterling3763sterling3763 Registered User regular
    The last few pages are basically why we can't have an Xbone thread. Because rather than talk about the console's current configuration or its games some people cannot let go of the version that was announced at E3. Which would be fine, I guess, except that we've had the conversation about why the DRM, always on, no used games xbox one is bad for the industry several times already. The same individuals feel the need to discuss ad nauseum why the old policies were shitty and why they've lost trust for M$ and cannot see why anyone would take a chance on their console.

It just gets tiresome after a while. Imagine if someone only went into the PS4 thread to complain about its exclusives. "Knack is for children. Killzone is a COD rip-off. I hate driving games, so forget Drive Club. All of the good games are also available on the Xbox One." It's a valid opinion the first couple times it's expressed, but eventually its just goosery if that is all you can contribute.

And that's basically where we are with the Xbone. A vocal minority does not like the console (or more accurately what the console was) and they welcome any opportunity to share that information. This makes them see moves that would appear competitive or aggressive (possible Nov. 8 release date) as desperate. Microsoft announced at E3 that it would arrive in November. The console has to come out before Black Friday in the U.S. so they can move as many units as possible. That only gives them four weeks to release; one of which is the same as the PS4. Excluding that week, there are two come before the PS4 comes out and one after. Honestly, if they release after the PS4 it will likely be added to the list of advantages Microsoft ceded to Sony. Can't win for losing.

• Options
    ..People do go in those threads and complain. People go in the Vita thread and complain. People go into the WiiU thread and complain. The difference was the the people in the XBO thread took every complaint personally and thought that every negative thing said about the console was an attack on their life.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    looks like Gamestop managers will be well entertained this holiday season as they'll also be receiving an Xbox one.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/27/gamestop-managers-to-receive-xbox-one/
    Turns out, in addition to a PlayStation 4, GameStop managers will also receive an Xbox One this holiday season. The announcement was made at the retailers' expo in Las Vegas a few hours after it revealed managers would receive a PS4 and seven games.

Neowin reached out to GameStop and the company confirmed the detail. The Xbox One console will be given to all the general managers of the company's 6,500 stores, whether or not they attended the expo. No word on whether it will also include software.

also if the Nov. 8th release date turns out to be true i'm pointing out now that i totally called that one after Sony announced their dates.

• Options
    Not surprising at all. When I worked at Best Buy the managers of the Media department always got the new consoles (except Nintendo... Ironically made them bitter about the company and never really pushed their products).

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Ah, bribery.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    EA: 'We Don't Ship a Game at EA That is Offline'
    EA COO Peter Moore has stated at Gamescom 2013 last week, "We don't ship a game at EA that is offline." Speaking to Engadget, he said, "It just doesn't happen," and emphasized "we don't deliver offline experiences."

SimCity's always-online restrictions earlier this year caused controversy following a faulty launch -- so much so that a survey questioned users about the appeal of an offline mode. That is all but off the table, it seems. Moore elaborated that EA's biggest franchises -- such as Titanfall, Battlefield, and FIFA -- relied rather heavily on their online components. That said, EA's The Sims 4 will include an offline single-player experience -- while Battlefield and FIFA, of course, retain their campaign and career -- so the future isn't necessarily always online.

Things are changing at EA, however.

Speaking about FIFA and Battlefield, Moore expressed that both franchises "have free-to-play options depending on where you are in the world.... The ability for you to be able to interact with those franchises on a free-to-play basis has got to be part and parcel to every major franchise we do now." He continued to say this is "very important to Electronic Arts" regardless of "how much money you've got in your wallet and where you are in the world."

A few years ago a game developer spoke on the subject of singleplayer games being a sort of phase that video games had to get through, and that they're now archaic. But he spoke of it as a philosophy of game design and what video games are (which was something debatable).

But this is way, way different. This is a business declaration, not a design philosophy. Plus it's about being "online" vs. "multiplayer." And again, Peter Moore has said this before but goddamn it I hate him for restating it.

• Options
    The last few pages are basically why we can't have an Xbone thread. Because rather than talk about the console's current configuration or its games some people cannot let go of the version that was announced at E3. Which would be fine, I guess, except that we've had the conversation about why the DRM, always on, no used games xbox one is bad for the industry several times already. The same individuals feel the need to discuss ad nauseum why the old policies were shitty and why they've lost trust for M$ and cannot see why anyone would take a chance on their console.

It just gets tiresome after a while. Imagine if someone only went into the PS4 thread to complain about its exclusives. "Knack is for children. Killzone is a COD rip-off. I hate driving games, so forget Drive Club. All of the good games are also available on the Xbox One." It's a valid opinion the first couple times it's expressed, but eventually its just goosery if that is all you can contribute.

And that's basically where we are with the Xbone. A vocal minority does not like the console (or more accurately what the console was) and they welcome any opportunity to share that information. This makes them see moves that would appear competitive or aggressive (possible Nov. 8 release date) as desperate. Microsoft announced at E3 that it would arrive in November. The console has to come out before Black Friday in the U.S. so they can move as many units as possible. That only gives them four weeks to release; one of which is the same as the PS4. Excluding that week, there are two come before the PS4 comes out and one after. Honestly, if they release after the PS4 it will likely be added to the list of advantages Microsoft ceded to Sony. Can't win for losing.

People gave their reasons for not being excited about the console in a level headed manner in the past few pages. And somehow you make it sound like people came in and screamed that it was going to rape their childhood. It's not them that prevents the XBO thread from coming back.

• Options
    sterling3763sterling3763 Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    It looks like we're talking past each other (more evidence that a Xbone thread is a bad idea).

I did not say that people were claiming that the one "was going to rape their childhood." That's a strawman and mis-characterization. I said that people were making valid arguments, it's just they've been making those same arguments so often and so long that it's grown tiresome. We know where people stand; it's not going anywhere.

sterling3763 on
  • Options
    It looks like we're talking past each other (more evidence that a Xbone thread is a bad idea).
    I did not say people were claiming that the one "was going to rape their childhood." That's a strawman and characterization. I said that people were making valid arguments, it's just they've been making those same arguments so often and so long that it's grown tiresome. We know where people stand; it's not going anywhere.

Ok. We'll create a separate thread for the unicorn shipping discussion.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    I think those posts were merely in response to people acting like there was no reason to dislike the current form of the XBO, personally. I get what you mean. It does get tiresome. It gets tiresome hearing about how poorly the WiiU is doing and how no one is buying it but it doesn't mean I am going throw a fit every time I see someone talk about it. (Not saying you were throwing a fit, though, just using an example)

• Options
    sockssocks Registered User regular
    I did not say people were claiming that the one "was going to rape their childhood." That's a strawman and characterization. I said that people were making valid arguments, it's just they've been making those same arguments so often and so long that it's grown tiresome. We know where people stand; it's not going anywhere.

Absolutely this. I would like to see an Xbox One thread on these forums again though. It is never going to be goose-free, but I would like the chance to discuss this console pre-launch with some other forum members that have interest.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    urahonky wrote: »

People gave their reasons for not being excited about the console in a level headed manner in the past few pages. And somehow you make it sound like people came in and screamed that it was going to rape their childhood. It's not them that prevents the XBO thread from coming back.

'Never trusting Microsoft' is a sentiment that has been expressed quite a few times over the past couple of pages. By Dhalphir first and then pretty much everyone that followed - and Dhal, I love you but you've made variations on that same post dozens of times now. We get it. "It smacks of desperation", wrote @Oakey, "Microsoft don't know what the fuck they're doing", writes @Lanrutcon. Someone wrote: 'Microsoft "listened to the public"' in inverted commas. Why? What they did is the very definition of listening to the public, no quotation marks necessary. That's not arguing in good faith. Which part of this discourse is 'reasonable'? You yourself @Urahonky are actually one of the minority who are being reasonable.

I think you are sorely misreading the tone and misunderstanding why the old thread was closed. There were moments where I thought @Aegeri might actually burst a blood vessel.

I think those posts were merely in response to people acting like there was no reason to dislike the current form of the XBO, personally. I get what you mean. It does get tiresome. It gets tiresome hearing about how poorly the WiiU is doing and how no one is buying it but it doesn't mean I am going throw a fit every time I see someone talk about it. (Not saying you were throwing a fit, though, just using an example)

The amount of times I read the accusation of people having a "Fuck you, got mine" mentality in that thread, just because they wanted an Xbox One, suggests otherwise.

I don't want an Xbone (Team PS4 all the way here, maybe a WiiU if they get some 3rd party support) but I do want to talk about it, and I'm not kidding myself as to why I cannot.

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    An xbox one thread would be nice if the mods brought the hammer down on the first fanboys to bring up all the dreck. My guess is the thread will turn into the same circle jerk of DRM etc with no discussion of the games so forget about it. GAF is entirely poisonous right now and has been for months; I can't tell if the moderation there doesn't care or is part of the problem.

So Lost Planet 3 reviews are out; Spark Unlimited just getting hammered from all angles. Polygon somehow gave it a 7 though, most others I've seen are 2 to 4.5 / 10. I really liked the first game, and had a lot of fun with the second. Seems like they yanked most of the fun suits for the third and made the hero a bland everyman labourer who can't carry the game. Loading screens rampant apparently.

Nosf on
  • Options
    Well I appreciate that. I think we should really drop the subject though because I'm sure Rorus and/or Duck are probably getting tired of it all cluttering up the Industry thread. If you guys want to make a case for the thread I'd talk to them about it. But the mods here are smart and they have their reasons for not bringing the thread back.

• Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    Urahonky he's done nothing of the sort, turn down the hyperbole, seriously.

So, the Killer Instinct pricing model has had more info revealed, decent interview with Kenn Lobb on Eurogamer:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-27-microsoft-killer-instinct-the-worlds-most-generous-demo

Personally, I think this varied pricing model is a bloody revelation and a great idea.

When this came up the other day, I was too busy to post, but I think people started arguing about rotating the free character for variation online; this confirms the intention is there. Yay, optimism.

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Which hyperbole were you talking about? :P

And Kenn Lobb is still with Rare? I figured he would have moved on by now. I'm sure you guys recognize his name from the Goldeneye weapon the Klobb (which was awful).

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

Look my only stake in this whole thing is that people bring up the XB1's original presentation as perspective. They wanted to go in a particular direction and have changed all the indicators we know of that push toward it, but we have yet to see if there are other methods at play to put big-business-friendliness over consumer-friendliness. It's a valid concern and will be for the first year of the XB1.

People did the same thing to Sony regarding the PS3; we constantly hacked at it for its shitty launch price and the dumb format war initiated. It's merely MS' turn to take some heat.

• Options
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Why? What they did is the very definition of listening to the public, no quotation marks necessary.

After much insistence none of their plan was going to change? Only after the public browbeat them into submission?

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

So, the Killer Instinct pricing model has had more info revealed, decent interview with Kenn Lobb on Eurogamer:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-27-microsoft-killer-instinct-the-worlds-most-generous-demo

Personally, I think this varied pricing model is a bloody revelation and a great idea.

When this came up the other day, I was too busy to post, but I think people started arguing about rotating the free character for variation online; this confirms the intention is there. Yay, optimism.

Fucking. Brilliant.

Now I'm just hoping the game has legs and is fun to play - the fights I have watched looked good (though Sabrewulf looked a little OP), so I am a little more than cautiously optimistic.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options

Not just an intention, the article flat-out says they're doing it. Although every 3 months seems a little counter-productive, they'd get a better response (and take more revenue) with a shorter cycle I think. You want the 'New Free Character' to come up just as they're getting bored of the old one (or a little after). With three months they'll have got bored of Jago and given up on the game already.

• Options
    Rotating the free character is win-win for everyone. Good shit.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

Not just an intention, the article flat-out says they're doing it. Although every 3 months seems a little counter-productive, they'd get a better response (and take more revenue) with a shorter cycle I think. You want the 'New Free Character' to come up just as they're getting bored of the old one (or a little after). With three months they'll have got bored of Jago and given up on the game already.

The very nature of a system like this is that the plans are adaptable - I am sure they are probably going to end up having cycled through all 8 characters every season, which would mean 3-5 weeks or so per character.

Just the fact that it is built to do this is good enough - they will figure out the right pacing over time.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    God that excites me that they are doing the rotation. 3 months is a bit much but there's nothing preventing them from actually reducing the time. Kudos. I hope this model gets adopted by future fighting games.

• Options
    syndalis wrote: »

Fucking. Brilliant.

Now I'm just hoping the game has legs and is fun to play - the fights I have watched looked good (though Sabrewulf looked a little OP), so I am a little more than cautiously optimistic.

Sabrewulf is always OP if you are good at playing him.

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular

The Wii U thread doesn't regularly get comments like, say, this:
    The_Scarab wrote:
    The price differential matters way more than the DRM ever did. The DRM was a barrier for some people, but the higher price is a barrier for a lot of people. Especially the kind of audience Microsoft appear to be courting with the design of the Xbox One. The NFL watching, beer chugging, doritos infused fat American slob who both does exist and doesn't at all, depending on how lazy you want to be with generalizations.

Scarab wasn't infracted for that, by the way.

• Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    Which hyperbole were you talking about? :P

And Kenn Lobb is still with Rare? I figured he would have moved on by now. I'm sure you guys recognize his name from the Goldeneye weapon the Klobb (which was awful).

He's Head of First Party Games or something for Microsoft now, but seems to be the spokesperson for the new KI, seen him in a few videos now. He has gone into detail about keeping the spirit of the old KI alive in the sequel. It's being developed by Double Helix, while Rare are working on the new Kinect Sports, supposedly before they return to a 'classic franchise' in some capacity.

And yeah, the Klobb was one of the worst guns of all time, ha! It's referred to in the article.

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    I've seen multiple rants about the "Wii Shit" around here and those people aren't infracted. I'm not going to say who it is (as he knows) but it's really not reserved for the XBO. Remember when people were going ape shit about the $599 price and how the guy from Sony suggested people would get two jobs to afford to buy it? As someone mentioned before: it's Microsoft's turn in the spotlight.

• Options
    Why? What they did is the very definition of listening to the public, no quotation marks necessary.

After much insistence none of their plan was going to change? Only after the public browbeat them into submission?

Or responding to the market, if you want to get literal. Which every good company should do.

Submission? Are Microsoft fighting you?. They done goofed. And they got it. And they're taking steps to fix it. Everything is else conjecture and hyperbole.

This discussion has been closed.