As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TRENCHES] Tuesday, August 27, 2013 - Riches

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited August 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Riches

Riches
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/riches

Testing a non-game

Anonymous

I was a linguistic QA tester for 2 years, testing localized versions of games from triple A to shovelware. Long hours, bad pay, but on the whole it was a blast.

There was this one project, though, that will take quite a lot of therapy to forget. Coming into the office in the morning, looking at the faces of the team, you’d know if it was back again and you’d be in for a long day.

It was one of those ‘take care of a cute small animal’ games, featuring a panda.  It started out with a big logo of a nature organization, but that disappeared after a few builds. Probably someone at the organization saw the product and decided wisely to drop it like a brick.

Apparently, you could make the panda do tricks, but you were lucky if after an hour of coaxing it, it would simply fall over.

I remember one of the bugs I wrote:
1) Start game
2) Bring panda to main location
3) Wait for [random thing] to happen, this might take up to 30 minutes.
4) There is a spelling error in the message that gets triggered.

When the developer asked for our feedback about the project, all we could say was: this is not a game.

I don’t think it ever got released.

Geth on

• Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    Ho Ho hooooo

Some guy.
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Guest artist? Or just a style change? Looks nice either way :P

Edit: Also, story reminded me of this:
    i-VPkDk6D-950x10000.jpg

:)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Angry_SamoanAngry_Samoan Now with 20% more mange... Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was wondering if today was a guest artist too.

So, Cora's dad has a price. So much for that legacy I was talking about in the earlier strips.

"The history of all sports is to cheat whenever possible."- Tony Kornheiser
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Ho Ho hooooo

You just love to be terrifyingly vague, don't you?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    NefilyNefily Melbourne AURegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Im glad it is a new artist and im not going insane! I think new artist could use shading, to tie their strips in better with the previous ones but has done a really good job of matching it otherwise :D

Nefily on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I love Cora lookin' mad

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    So, Mary has been drawing the strips before for some time not exactly determined, is now moving to Japan, and someone else is drawing.

Do we know who? It doesn't look like any of the PA or PvP guys.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    If there had been shading I prolly couldn't have noticed a difference in the characters themselves.

But the facial expressions are very very different. Noticed that immediately.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    ...even Cora's dad.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    GinormousGinormous Registered User regular
    I'll keep an open mind, but I currently don't care for the new art direction. I felt like the previous strips felt more life-like and real. This one felt like a meme generator.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Not a fan at all of the new art.

Meanwhile, Cora goes to her dad all prepared to justify the company she's employed by making a mockery of his life's work after she convinced him over his best judgment to sell the rights...only to discover that all of his objections and outrage have been forgotten in a bout of check-induced amnesia. So much for the comic's only "likable" character, I guess.

Between the art and Anders' sudden reversal this feels more like a guest comic parody of Trenches.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    This is starting to feel a bit like the comic no one actually wants to do.

• Options
    MenasorMenasor Registered User regular
    Its so meta. No one wants to do a comic about a job no one wants to do (once you see what its like).

Destiny PS4: Earthen1
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Sometimes a freelance artist has to leave a project. It has now happened a total of one time in the history of the trenches. Cool down the drama engines.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Ho Ho hooooo

You just love to be terrifyingly vague, don't you?

Obviously this is Khoo's first foray into drawing webcomics.

Webkhoomics.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Was really digging Cubes work, not sure how I feel about the new artist yet, likely will take awhile before it grows on me. Just a big difference right now that isn't sitting well with my simple mind.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Gamer8585Gamer8585 Registered User regular
    Not really a fan of the new art style, but not enough to make me stop reading the comic. I know freelance people come and go from projects all the time I just wish there would be a front page announcement when these changes are set occur. Even something spartan like: ""Person A" has to leave, so "Person B" will be taking over on <date>" would suffice.
    ASimPerson wrote: »

Good to see that the artist herself announced that she was leaving, but I don't want to have to follow everyone in the world in the off chance there will be a change to something I'm interested in.

• Options
    NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    Man, what a disappointment. Good luck to Ms. Cagle in her future travels-- I wasn't aware of her prior to her Trenches run, and now she's one of my favorite artists.

• Options
    Shakes999Shakes999 Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Not a fan at all of the new art. Between the art and Anders' sudden reversal this feels more like a guest comic parody of Trenches.

Yes, no disrespect intended to the new artist, but the change is jarring and I don't feel its for the better currently. Maybe I'll warm up to it over the next few weeks but for right now, not digging it.

• Options
    theResetButtontheResetButton Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I actually like the new art. I mean, I really enjoyed @CubeWatermelon 's work, too, but this is far from bad. It could use some shading, but I like the dynamic poses we're seeing here.

The style looks awfully familiar. Like, maybe someone who's done some television animation. Any chance of letting us know who it actually is?

theResetButton on
    Keep honking: I'm also honking.
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    You'll know soon enough. :)

Some guy.
  • Options
    IamToochIamTooch Registered User regular
    All's I know is angry Cora has Kate Beaton eyes. Yes.

• Options
    theResetButtontheResetButton Registered User regular
    IamTooch wrote: »
    All's I know is angry Cora has Kate Beaton eyes. Yes.

The eyes, yes. However, Kate Beaton's mouths don't really move around the face like that. Still can't place who does that though.

Keep honking: I'm also honking.
  • Options
    AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    Obviously this is Khoo's first foray into drawing webcomics.

Webkhoomics.

It'll start a little shaky but in six months with be the most influential webcomic about playtesting ON THE PLANET!

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    It looks quasi-Samurai Jack-ish with its minimal use of black lines to delineate between things, but the lack of shading is bugging me. I like the style of the characters. They seem a bit more energetic to me.

• Options
    KazaxatKazaxat Registered User regular
    Between the art and Anders' sudden reversal this feels more like a guest comic parody of Trenches.

Yeah, my first thought was that this was some kind of joke strip, either a guest comic or some kind of hazy dream Cora was having that explained the new art and the seemingly quickly shifted moral stance of her father.

And speaking of the art, Cora's depiction in this strip is bothering me to no end. Why is there a border on the bottom side of her hair but not the top? Why are her expressions suddenly more comical than any we've seen thus far on even the sillier characters in the story? Why is there no shading? Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Oh man, Cora's dad is now awful too?

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Cora's faces in this strip remind me of Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I didn't notice it at first, but when I went back to actually try to notice differences in art style I found something the same that I hadn't seen before...

Apparently the difference between a female and male torso is just a curved line across the sternum. Cora has always been drawn that way. Is this a trick which has been played on me in drawings before? It's not anything but a line!

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    CyrixCyrix Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I noticed the new art style immediately and was disappointed with it. This is the second time Trenches has switched artists, isn't it? I thought I had read Kurtz drew the comic for a few weeks and was quietly swapped out. Notice that the early pages don't have any shading - I almost get the impression the new artist only read the first few pages.

Also, the last two pages don't have the copyright notice that has been on all the other pages. That seems strange but notable.

My initial thought was Gabe was drawing it; although it looks different than PA, he's pretty flexible in style, and he's made it very clear over the last couple of years on PA that he prefers drawing in an overly silly children's style, which is how I would describe today's page. The ultra simple background certainly reminds me of Gabe's current PA work.

Cyrix on
  • Options
    RedCrow7RedCrow7 Registered User regular
    tumblr_ms78snyuev1roustso1_1280.jpg
    I miss Cube already

• Options
    Kurtz drew the comic for the first 'season' and a half or so.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Oh man, Cora's dad is now awful too?
    The dad was always awful.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Kurtz drew the comic for the first 'season' and a half or so.

Ah, I had probably read he drew from "August to September" but missed it was August 2011 to September 2012. He also started drawing good backgrounds on September 1st, 2011, but gave up after a few pages.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Khoo's maniacal laughter makes me think that one of the Strip Search artists might be responsible for this artwork, but it doesn't look like Katie Rice to me, who would be the most likely candidate I think, and it doesn't look like any of the other artists either.

There's a possibility of it being Kurtz coming back to do it again, though if that were the case Khoo is just being weird for no reason. Possible, but I put it in the doubtful category.

Mike seems like a good suggestion. There's something really familiar about the facial expressions (especially in panel 2). I'm punching my ballot for Mike.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    I intended to start a poll for everyone's guess on who the new artist is, but it won't let me select the PA Hub region of the forums if I try to create a poll. Are new users not allowed to create threads here or am I missing something?

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    They really need to announce this stuff on the trenches main site

A artist change is certainly a thing that can happen but just a quiet swap with no announcement beforehand is kinda crazy, especially when the new art is sadly inferior

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah, users cannot make threads here

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    They really need to announce this stuff on the trenches main site

A artist change is certainly a thing that can happen but just a quiet swap with no announcement beforehand is kinda crazy, especially when the new art is sadly inferior

I don't agree with the assertion earlier that Trenches is the "comic nobody wants to do" but it's always seemed like the creators don't make it a priority to devote any time/attention to supporting it besides just making the comics and posting them (which is the main thing, of course). They never do timely news posts about it. The "season" comes to an end without warning and people get confused - in the case of season two, leading them to tack on extra comics to transition the plotlines less abruptly. The artist changes (twice) with no announcement. The New Readers page on the Trenches site had no content for...a year or more?...after launch, and now the info on it is kind of out of date.

Gaslight on