As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thread is currently down for maintenance. [FFXIV SE++]

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I would if I could, guys.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    I'm going to unlock Bard tomorrow! I'm excited.

What's the other class needed to unlock Bard? They seem to have changed it a few times and I can't find the latest info.

• Options
    Oh and @zucchini Flarne - Flarne Fashonti on Sargentarniarnas

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    verdict on scholars: they own but I don't quite understand pet controls fully yet

I also need actual healer frames

Jars on
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    what kind of scrublord manually controls Carbuncle? Let the lil' guy boop enemies on his own

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Flarne wrote: »
    I'm going to unlock Bard tomorrow! I'm excited.

What's the other class needed to unlock Bard? They seem to have changed it a few times and I can't find the latest info.

It is now Pugilist at 15!

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Skullo wrote: »
    Okay, stupid question probably, but how do I get my retainer?

I met Minfilia, and she explained them, but I can't figure out where I actually go to hire them? All the info I've found is either out of date 1.0 stuff or discussions that don't answer the question on other forums.
    You also have to complete a story quest to get access to the 'ability'. You should be getting it at around 20, just before you join a Grand Company.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Skullo wrote: »
    Okay, stupid question probably, but how do I get my retainer?

I met Minfilia, and she explained them, but I can't figure out where I actually go to hire them? All the info I've found is either out of date 1.0 stuff or discussions that don't answer the question on other forums.
    You also have to complete a story quest to get access to the 'ability'. You should be getting it at around 20, just before you join a Grand Company.

Yeah- I got the access. The problem was I all the old 1.0 info saying I had to talk to an NPC in the adventurers guild, but it's actually someone in the markets.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Somebody help me clarify some shit here

The level of a Job is equal to the level of the base class right?

Does leveling up that Job increase the level of the base class as well?

So, for example, if at level 30 I unlock SMN and then get that up to level 35, would ARN also be level 35 as well?

And if that is true then, if I unlocked SCH would SCH also be level 35 since SCH level would be equal to ARN level?

I would really like this to be the case because being able to SMN for solo and SCH for when its instance time would be fantastic

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Chocobo GET.

So... how do I level up it's abilities? I love it and all, but it needs to be The Greatest Healer of All Time, and I'll do what I gotta do to make that happen.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I read somewhere that you unlock the choco as combat companion at lv30.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    So how's everyone liking this so far? What sets it apart from GW2 and WoW?

• Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    I like it a lot! I haven't played WoW in at least a year or a year and a half and never played GW2 though so all I can compare it to is older WoW which probably isn't fair.

That said, it does so many things right. Somehow they made both crafting and gathering stupid fun.

• Options
    Do you get level experience for gathering and crafting? Cause those are good things GW2 did right. And has there been any news about endgame?
    I want to read a review and see some stuff, but there don't seem to be many options yet.

• Options
    Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    So how's everyone liking this so far? What sets it apart from GW2 and WoW?

It doesn't really have a gimmick like most new MMOs do. While it doesn't really do anything new, it has most of what you'd expect from a new MMO; what sets it apart is how well it does everything (for the most part).

Steam | BNet: Eits#1367
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Do you get level experience for gathering and crafting? Cause those are good things GW2 did right. And has there been any news about endgame?
    I want to read a review and see some stuff, but there don't seem to be many options yet.

Gathering and crafting are their own jobs (like lancer or arcanist, there's a woodworking job and whatnot). You earn levels in that job by crafting things, and the levels unlock new recipes. The downside is having to switch jobs in the field to gather, but there are shortcuts to make that not too bad.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I don't think anything sets it apart really, except that gathering and crafting is somehow fun

The quests are MMO as shit, the story is not super interesting/well done, the promise of cross class stuff is betrayed by 90% of cross class skills being boring as hell, and it has a lot of weird little things that can make going about some humdrum tasks arbitrarily tedious

But it is incredibly pretty, each class is very well put together, I've only done a few dungeons but they've all had a few interesting or memorable fights, the leveling and questing curves are incredibly smooth for your main class, and you always have something to do so you're never sitting around just waiting for something to happen

And if the setting/trappings of Final Fantasy are a selling point to you then, let me tell you, it is incredibly Final Fantasy

I think I bitch a lot about it but its mostly little annoyances and I'm still having a whole lot of fun with it because the stuff it got right it Got Right

edit and crafting and gathering being engaging is huge, I don't think I can over state that

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular

You can level every class on one character, and each class has its own levels; gathering and crafting classes included. I haven't heard a whole bunch about endgame yet either, but by all accounts the 4 man dungeons just get better and better with each one, so that bodes well.

Steam | BNet: Eits#1367
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I actually think the story is really well done. The actual plot is not special but the localization is supremely good and the dialogue pretty excellent as a result.

The combat mechanics are slower than most MMOs, but not to its detriment. It feels more deliberate and purposeful. I'm not as stressed to make every action with split second reaction as with wow.

It is also supremely polished and looks just amazing. The ifrit fight by itself is more visually impressive than any wow encounter I've seen, if not as satisfying as the raid bosses. (Though why would it be.)

• Options
    Speaking of dungeons, are groups composed of the Tank+Healer+DPS trinity? Or is it more like GW2 where everyone has healing skills, everyone does damage, and aggro is a random thing?

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Speaking of dungeons, are groups composed of the Tank+Healer+DPS trinity? Or is it more like GW2 where everyone has healing skills, everyone does damage, and aggro is a random thing?

The trinity. The Duty Finder specifically looks for 2 DPS, 1 Tank, and 1 Healer.

Even if you put the party together yourself, among guildmates or friends, you still have to run the Duty Finder.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    The light party dungeons (ie the early ones) are 4 people, 1 tank 1 healer 2 dps

This is actually a huge problem for low level queues because before level 30 there are 2 tank classes, 1 healer class, and 5 dps classes

after level 30 there are 2 healer classes, so that is something I guess

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    The trinity is still around. You're stuck with just Conjurers as healers until Arcanists can become Scholars.

There's two tank classes and the rest are DPS.

• Options
    I'm actually alright with that. All too often when running groups in GW2, I felt like I was dragging everyone down by dying all the time because my own heals sucked and there was no one around to take care of me :P I can see how it becomes a hindrance but it's more comfortable having everyone being accountable for their roles.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Plus most of the major abilities are pretty well telegraphed so you should be able to get yourself out of the way.

• Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    If it makes it easier to understand for anyone, a job is really just an item you equip that gives you access to more abilities based on your class levels

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Machwing wrote: »
    what kind of scrublord manually controls Carbuncle? Let the lil' guy boop enemies on his own

scholars don't have a carbuncle. fairies do not attack

Jars on
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    So, why do people say that it's better to have a crafting class at 19 before attempting to slot materia, and does it matter which profession? I've got CRP halfway through 18 and LW about a level behind.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    the materia quest is locked until you have a crafting class(culinarian doesn't count) at level 19

• Options
    has to be a non culinary hand profession

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I see. Too bad I probably won't be able to log in this week because of the launch rush.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    For you release day purchasers, the day Final Fantasy XIV was released was the most important day in your lives.

But for us Early Access adopters?

6xAWqKx.jpg

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I can't wait for the PS4 version to be released, after finally getting some time to play it on my PS3 I'm a bit disappointed.

The game is fun, I really like it, but it has serious problems running on such old hardware. The framerate is terrible, the draw distance seems to be all of five feet in front of my face and it takes 10-15 seconds for npc's to load on screen. I won't even mention attempting to accomplish anything worthwhile when I enter a Fate with 20 other player characters.

I'm going to keep going casually, but I hope this is a release game on the PS4 because I can only imagine how pretty everything is for people playing it on their PC.

• Options
    1017 you son of a bitch

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    Sometimes the loading screen pops up for a couple seconds before the error appears. Stop toying with my emotions, game.

• Options
    I got a 64 person queue and alt tabbed to wait it out

Tab back in a few seconds later and now its a fucking 1017

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Maximum wrote: »
    I can't wait for the PS4 version to be released, after finally getting some time to play it on my PS3 I'm a bit disappointed.

The game is fun, I really like it, but it has serious problems running on such old hardware. The framerate is terrible, the draw distance seems to be all of five feet in front of my face and it takes 10-15 seconds for npc's to load on screen. I won't even mention attempting to accomplish anything worthwhile when I enter a Fate with 20 other player characters.

I'm going to keep going casually, but I hope this is a release game on the PS4 because I can only imagine how pretty everything is for people playing it on their PC.

I think it looks and plays fine for the hardware it's on, but that's just a matter of taste I guess.

As for targeting in FATEs, you can change your targeting settings so that you only target enemies instead of enemies and NPCs and Player Characters. I think the targeting settings are in Character Settings, then the Targeting tab.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Speaking of that, I've got the premade custom targeting toggle set(L1 plus O, X etc) and so in a battle I toggle to friends only, use the d pad a few times to try to target other players to heal, and suddenly the targeting filter changes from friends only to other.

I can't figure it out, but signs point to me not understanding, rather than lack of functionality.

Also, I've found no particular problem with the PS3 hardware here. There's what seems to be normal lag and some draw issues, but I haven't seen much chugging that seems to be from effects, which I feel have to be toned down anyway in order to see anything in a fate.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Septus wrote: »
    Speaking of that, I've got the premade custom targeting toggle set(L1 plus O, X etc) and so in a battle I toggle to friends only, use the d pad a few times to try to target other players to heal, and suddenly the targeting filter changes from friends only to other.

I can't figure it out, but signs point to me not understanding, rather than lack of functionality.

Also, I've found no particular problem with the PS3 hardware here. There's what seems to be normal lag and some draw issues, but I haven't seen much chugging that seems to be from effects, which I feel have to be toned down anyway in order to see anything in a fate.

The L1+O, Square, Triangle stuff is great until you ready your weapon. There's a toggle that will change your targeting setting when you ready your weapon. I think you can just turn it off though, so L1+O will work, regardless of whether you have your weapon at the ready or not.