As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Solforge: Set 3 Secrets of Solis Out Now!

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Welp, Hashd shat itself. Done streaming for the moment.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I wish I had enough cards to make a deck with real synergy.

This has also made me really want to play MTG again. All I have left of MTG is pretty much my EDH deck and stuff that I thought was cool. Guess I need to find people who play EDH.

Play EDH.

Play Hex when it's out.

What do you mean when its out? I already have one in my deck.

No, play EDH always; play Hex (the online mmo ccg) when it is released.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Vorpal wrote: »
    At least you can play against the computer while you build up your card base.

I'm figuring that if I can't reliably beat hard computer opponents, whatever deck I've made is unlikely to fare well against real humans.

Yea, I practice against the computer and try to figure out what feels effective for now and what feels like a trap. I'm not too worried about it, I expect to not do too well until my card pool has more stuff I can work with.

I do have a common to rare deck setup now though so I'm ready for some games.
    I wish I had enough cards to make a deck with real synergy.

This has also made me really want to play MTG again. All I have left of MTG is pretty much my EDH deck and stuff that I thought was cool. Guess I need to find people who play EDH.

Play EDH.

Play Hex when it's out.

What do you mean when its out? I already have one in my deck.

No, play EDH always; play Hex (the online mmo ccg) when it is released.

Oh, thought you meant the awesome card Hex. Haven't heard anything at all about an mmo ccg.

I would like to play more EDH but I haven't updated my deck since..... the werewolf/vampire sets that came out? I also can't really find anyone to play EDH with.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    At least you can play against the computer while you build up your card base.

I'm figuring that if I can't reliably beat hard computer opponents, whatever deck I've made is unlikely to fare well against real humans.

Yea, I practice against the computer and try to figure out what feels effective for now and what feels like a trap. I'm not too worried about it, I expect to not do too well until my card pool has more stuff I can work with.

I do have a common to rare deck setup now though so I'm ready for some games.

Sent you a new game invite because our game from last night appears to have bugged out.

• Options
    I like the idea of a necro deck with 3 Cull the Weak and lots of stuff that triggers when it dies.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    I like the idea of a necro deck with 3 Cull the Weak and lots of stuff that triggers when it dies.

Take a look at Grave Pact.

• Options
    Yeah, got one of those.

Also turns out you can play two separate games on the ipad and desktop at once without problems.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    who here isn't waiting for Hex to come out

that's what i'd like to know
    so i can tell them about hex

so that they, too, are cursed with this unbearable wait

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    Yeah, got one of those.

Also turns out you can play two separate games on the ipad and desktop at once without problems.

So that game was pretty nuts. You almost had me, but my Technosmith advantage hit just in time. My second to last hand was five level threes.

• Options
    Yeah, I got almost nothing but level 1 crap for those last turns.

• Options
    Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »

I am waiting for Hearthstone. Hex doesn't really appeals to me. I'd be playing Scrolls but Mojang seems intent on letting it die by updating the tiny card pool at a glacial pace.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    Actually, the Decay faction just came out for Scrolls.

• Options
    Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    Really? Neat. A new color doesn't exactly solves the lack of variety within each faction though.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I've run into a serious problem with this game thats been happening a lot. If I get the upper hand, and it looks like I have a good chance of winning, i've noticed a lot of players will opt to just wait the fucking timer out rather than concede or try to play it out. They will just sit there on the 25 min timer and hope that I get annoyed and concede. That's really frustrating. What they need is a turn timer, of like 5 mins or so, and when that turn timer goes out it becomes the other players turn. Problem solved.

Also can't seem to add my friend to my friends list either. I try but it keeps saying "no results" when he is giving me his login.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I've run into a serious problem with this game thats been happening a lot. If I get the upper hand, and it looks like I have a good chance of winning, i've noticed a lot of players will opt to just wait the fucking timer out rather than concede or try to play it out. They will just sit there on the 25 min timer and hope that I get annoyed and concede. That's really frustrating. What they need is a turn timer, of like 5 mins or so, and when that turn timer goes out it becomes the other players turn. Problem solved.

They've said they're adding something like this.

Since there's no benefit to winning anyway, if someone stalls on you, just concede and go on to the next game knowing that you won.

Something something beta, something something they're terrible at making computer card games and good at making card games something.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options

Also can't seem to add my friend to my friends list either. I try but it keeps saying "no results" when he is giving me his login.

You can always just quit to the menu. The game keeps going and they'll time out and lose.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I personally have zero interest in Hex because the game basically has land cards, and nuts to that. Scrolls seemed kind of neat, sad to hear that it isn't being that well supported though.

Can't say for sure how long Solforge will hold my interest for but I feel like it is at least worth giving a shake.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »

me. but i don't really want to derail the thread about how i cant stand CZE.

supposedly they released a patch to actually end the game when timers run out per their twitter.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Wooooo, Darkshaper Savant in the house! I also got that dick Xrath who screwed me the other day, but I don't think he's actually all that useful to me yet (he gives all other zombies insta-kill power, but I don't have quite enough zombies).

I also am abruptly flush with Magma Hounds and Windcall Shaman since yesterday. I'm actually starting to need to stop and think about which creatures I have room for in my deck, which is nice. Oh, and I got a Lightning Spark, which is no Uranti Bolt but I'll take whatever I can get.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Xrath seems fucking awesome. So far 0-2 against zombies.dec running him playing my assorted nekrium deck. looking forward to using him if i ever pull him

• Options
    It's annoying when you can imagine some great combos with a few cards you have, but don't have enough to actually back them up. Oh well, I've only played for three days so far.

• Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    Game is proving a lot more fun than I thought. There seem to be a lot of different deck types to try out. No idea if they are competitive or not, but I have fun just planning them out.

Is there one of the starter decks that is just 'better' than the others? Like...what'st he best AI deck to practice against.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    Game is proving a lot more fun than I thought. There seem to be a lot of different deck types to try out. No idea if they are competitive or not, but I have fun just planning them out.

Is there one of the starter decks that is just 'better' than the others? Like...what'st he best AI deck to practice against.

Probably whatever Nekrium is in. Their base cards are a lot less dependent on synergy.

• Options
    edited August 2013

As I mentioned earlier, the Alloyin starter cards are terrible and you shouldn't use them until you get a lot more from boosters. The buffers are nice, but in your first few days you can't use them without also using a ton of the dreck, so you have to wait for a while.

Uterra I don't have a great handle on. It's better than the Alloyin set for sure, but like the Alloyin set it has no removal at all. So don't even bother aiming for a mono-Alloyin, mono-Uterra, or Alloyin/Uterra deck; you're just nowhere close to making it work (which is a shame, becase Alloyin's buffers and Uterra's token-spammers should have gone well together).

The Nekrium set seems decent-to-good throughout, relatively speaking; definitely one of the better ones. It has a decent amount of removal on paper, but most of it is conditional on enemies having low attack, so that's risky. It's a solid basis to grow on, though. Playing Nekrium will teach you how important strategically leveling your stuff is, because if you let yourself to into the late-game without having spammed your Cull the Meeks early you will find yourself utterly boned.

Tempys has Uranti Bolt, which is the single best card you get starting out in my opinion. 20 damage at level 3 kills basically anything, and it stuns whatever it doesn't kill, so it's much safer than Cull the Meek. It lacks a strong core of creatures, though; most of them are kind of situational in terms of when and where they thrive. But the fire shaman go well with everything and the wind primals seem solid enough.

I emphatically recommend jamming Nekrium and Tempys together for your first deck. The two of them combined give you respectable removal, which is really important. Getting better creatures is a lot easier than getting better removal. I think Tempys/Uterra (one of the default combos) has potential as well; mass-buffs or Enrage on top of Uranti Firefists is pretty neat when it works. I would avoid other combinations until you have better cards. Nekrium/Uterra probably becomes workable if you can get just slightly more removal, though. Nekrium has some stuff down the line where you sacrifice your own cards and Uterra spams tokens, so that's maybe something to look forward to.

This is a total novice's perspective, of course; I can't have played more than a day or two more than you have if that.

Wyvern on
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Tempys always confused me. Like...cinderfist brawler. WTH does that even mean? And it seems like it just makes you win more if you are already winning. And what's the point of stormcaller haha?

But I'll give nekrium/tempys a shot. Those grimgaunt guys were pretty insane.

Vorpal on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Cinderfist Brawler's power means it deals double damage to players, which is awesome. Especially when you have removal, because you can just remove whatever blocker from in front of them and chunk your opponent's life. You can win matches even being down on board position quite easily with him.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Tempys always confused me. Like...cinderfist brawler. WTH does that even mean? And it seems like it just makes you win more if you are already winning. And what's the point of stormcaller haha?

Basically Cinderfist deals double damage to the enemy player. It also deals that damage in two separate increments, which interacts with some cards. In theory it's a card for an aggro deck, but right now I'm not sure that archetype is very good. The best thing about Cinderfist is that 7 power trades with just about everything. :P

Stormcaller just has really good level 1 stats and decent level 2 stats. It's pretty mediocre.

admanb on
  • Options
    Is steam broke or something? it says 'no connection' and apparently without a steam connection you can't save your solforge deck lists :(

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Cinderfist Brawler basically deals double damage to players. I don't know why they wrote it like that. It can give you a surprise win in the late-game comboed with the haste from a shaman, but like I said, a lot of Tempys's creatures are frustratingly narrow in their useful applications.

Storm Caller's level one stats are better than average. That's it. It's a boring card whose benefits are marginal and which can't control the game in any useful way. The Alloyin deck is like 75% Storm Callers.

EDIT: I think the server is just borked. It crashed for me about 20 minutes ago and now I can't log in either.

Wyvern on
  • Options
    Wyvern wrote: »

Cinderfist Brawler basically deals double damage to players. I don't know why they wrote it like that. It can give you a surprise win in the late-game comboed with the haste from a shaman, but like I said, a lot of Tempys's creatures are frustratingly narrow in their useful applications.

Pretty sure because of how it interacts with stuff like Rageborn Hellion.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Well yeah, but they still could have just said "Cinderfist Brawler deals its damage twice against the enemy player" or something.

Actually, it's pretty much 100% Rageborn Hellion's fault that Tempys's starting creatures are so meh. Half of them are designed to work with Rageborn Hellion and only Rageborn Hellion, even though you don't have one and never will.

Wyvern on
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    In the early beta I played, where you couldn't build decks, the Alloyin deck was really scary. I am surprised they gave you such crap starting cards for them.

But once people are able to run stuff like 3x Brightsteel Sentinel in their deck that will change.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Ok yeah, tempys is awesome. Flamestroke shaman + flameblade champion + primordial surge = lolol.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Ok yeah, tempys is awesome. Flamestroke shaman + flameblade champion + primordial surge = lolol.

Firefist Uranti+pump=lololol

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

Pretty sure because of how it interacts with stuff like Rageborn Hellion.

By the wording, there should be no interaction. Cinderfist Brawler only deals battle damage once, which is when it deals damage. It can't deal battle damage twice, because the effect triggers on battle damage (and so it'd trigger itself). Rageborn Hellion triggers on battle damage to a player, which is only done once, and so the effect can only trigger once.

• Options
    When you hit someone with a Cinderfirst Brawler its damage numbers pop up two separate times on the enemy portrait.

I have not tested the interaction myself yet (don't got the cards to).

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    When you hit someone with a Cinderfirst Brawler its damage numbers pop up two separate times on the enemy portrait.

Yeah, but it's plausible that one of those numbers is battle damage and the other one is a "spell" that the creature casts. I would be
    extremely surprised of they didn't go out of their way to code it in such a way that it combos with the Hellion, though.
    Okay, if you're lucky enough to have a Flameblade Champion, then DEFINITELY play Tempys/Something. That's got to be one of the best cards in the game, at least as far as easily comboing with your starting cards goes.

Wyvern on
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I think I have 3 of them. For the record, kickstarter dudes seem to have gotten 45 booster packs.

My alloyin wins take foreeeeever. And sometimes I lose.

Tempys just steamrolls to victory in a few turns.

This is all against the computer, mind you. I dunno why I thought they were weak. I think it's because the tempys starter must not be so great.

Flame blade champion also combos really well with fervent assault.

Vorpal on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh. Why are you asking about the starter decks, then? You have like six times as many cards as there are in the starter decks.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Yeah, but it's plausible that one of those numbers is battle damage and the other one is a "spell" that the creature casts. I would be
    extremely surprised of they didn't go out of their way to code it in such a way that it combos with the Hellion, though.

If they coded it in such a way that it combos with Hellion then the descriptions on the cards are lying. The effects of both cards trigger on "battle damage". If the Hellion gets two buffs, then the cards cannot be internally consistent. If they wanted a synergy between the two cards, then they should have chosen different wording to reflect that.