As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ask me about being transgendered (again)

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    I have a friend who is trans, but is also manic-depressive, heavily into the BDSM scene and constantly in abusive relationships, and a heavy user of anything narcotic he can get his hands on. To be completely honest I have trouble separating the trans issues out from the nightmare cocktail anytime we talk. It is such a tangled web of things I want to be supportive of and things that are obviously damaging.

I suspect we're still friends largely because the relationship is totally internet-based at this point; I don't know if I could deal with interacting in-person. I'm just perpetually torn between wanting to be a friend who hasn't jumped ship and abandoned the dude and being terrified of involving myself in the swirling vortex of clusterfuck, so I keep cheerleading from the safe distance of facebook messages and telling him to stay hydrated.

To pull things back on-topic, I worry that I'm developing a huge negative perception of trans individuals or anything alt-lifestyle because of this friend; as a straight white dude on some level I have to fight back the idea that anything different is strange and ugly and bad, so it doesn't help when the majority of the feedback I'm getting is that yes, it is.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    I have a friend who is trans, but is also manic-depressive, heavily into the BDSM scene and constantly in abusive relationships, and a heavy user of anything narcotic he can get his hands on. To be completely honest I have trouble separating the trans issues out from the nightmare cocktail anytime we talk. It is such a tangled web of things I want to be supportive of and things that are obviously damaging.

I suspect we're still friends largely because the relationship is totally internet-based at this point; I don't know if I could deal with interacting in-person. I'm just perpetually torn between wanting to be a friend who hasn't jumped ship and abandoned the dude and being terrified of involving myself in the swirling vortex of clusterfuck, so I keep cheerleading from the safe distance of facebook messages and telling him to stay hydrated.

To pull things back on-topic, I worry that I'm developing a huge negative perception of trans individuals or anything alt-lifestyle because of this friend; as a straight white dude on some level I have to fight back the idea that anything different is strange and ugly and bad, so it doesn't help when the majority of the feedback I'm getting is that yes, it is.

Well trans, manic depressive, bad relationships, drug use and bdsm are all completely separate issues. Judging all trans people based on one trans person's fuck up life is kind of...I forget the word but its bad

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    What is your opinion on Yohio?

• Options
    Yes, and I'm not trying to say I'm consciously conflating any of them with the others, but conversations like this -

"Chinese does sound really good right now, I haven't eaten all week since my girlfriend won't give me money unless we fuck. It feels super weird having a metaphorical phantom dick haha so I've been avoiding her but then again I spend it all on speed anyway lol"

- make it really difficult to have a conversation about his gender identity. It feels like an incredibly bullshit thing to say, but I guess I'm just looking for simple assurance that this friend is an outlier.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Yes your friend is an outlier.

Also your friend desperately needs professional help and needs to get the hell out from their current living situation.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    @Molybdenum, your friend is definitely an outlier. I understand where you're coming from though, I had a similar experience where a trans friend thought my friends and I were bullying him because he was trans, and not, in fact, because we didn't want to be friends with an asshat. He wrote an editorial piece on trans bullying based on this false account. It's really sad to say but I had trouble separating the two issues until I met more trans people (on this forum, actually).

Basically, once, I knew a horrible person. He happened to be trans. Molyb, you know someone with a lot of issues. His being trans has nothing to do with it.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    As long as you root against Russia you're good

I wanted my senior thesis to be about something cool that Russia did. Like their part in the space race! That shit is cool! I want to write a history paper about bad-ass cosmonauts.

But then they pull all this anti LGBT shit out, which totally crushed any chances I've had at studying abroad over there.

UGH

RUSSIA

WHY

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I'm a bit frustrated at some older transwomen right now

for reasons I go into later

but there's some ideas floating around that I just can't get behind in the community at large

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Yes your friend is an outlier.

Also your friend desperately needs professional help and needs to get the hell out from their current living situation.

To clarify - I'm not trying to say all trans people are a hot mess until proven otherwise, which would be hateful goose noises.

He can't afford counseling because of the drug problem, can't get a job because of drug testing and a gruesome employment record. His parents are supportive of treatment for manic-depressive but keep trying to find a therapist who will try to convince him he isn't a dude, since (as he tells it) they view the drug abuse and his identifying as male to be a result of the disorder. He fuels the drug problem by finding people who will pay in cash/drugs for kink stuff or sleeping with (typically male) dealers, since the hardware is female. My interactions with him are basically talking about and trying to support his transition, writing hobby, and degree. I remind him to eat and drink and get STD screened pretty often.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Dubh wrote: »
    I'm a bit frustrated at some older transwomen right now

for reasons I go into later

but there's some ideas floating around that I just can't get behind in the community at large

Before joining these forums, I could legitimately say I'd never encountered a trans person I'd want to spend an evening at a bar or meal with.
    Now I feel bad for admitting that

Psykoma on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    To what extent is it ok for me to be angry about gay activists pulling up the ladder on TG people

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    To what extent is it ok for me to be angry about gay activists pulling up the ladder on TG people

I'm not metalbourne but I'm going to guess "fairly ok"

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i'd say to the point where you can seethe pointedly in their general direction

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    what if I seethe pointedly at everyone

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options

To the point where you ask a gay activist "well where do trans people fit into this?"

But no more or less because not all gay activists are leaving us high and dry

• Options
    Just as you can't generalize the trans community, you can't generalize any other group of people in the queer community (or any community, really) without misrepresentation

there are many trans people who are pissed off beyond belief at the more widely covered gays and lesbians
    which I find identical to much of the backlash against allies

case by case basis, pretty much
    like any time you hear that trans people need to "wait their turn," that's a load of bullshit that you can legimately get all kinds of pissed-off about

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    What's the best thing about being transgendered?

• Options
    smof wrote: »

To crush gender expectations, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their supporters

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular

nothing

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    I got a lot of underlining self hatred and a moderately controllable desire for self annihilation.

that's kinda cool if you're into that sorta thing?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    What are some media representations of trans people that you found inspiring or positive, and what about them did you enjoy?

• Options
    It might because a lot of my tv watching is sitcoms i've never seen a positive representation on the tv. Usually the episode goes as such:

Old friend is back in toy! Character is happy to see old friend.

Oh hey who is this model who trying to act? Oh that is old friend but they used to be a dude!

Character feels awkward but eventually reconciles that it is more important for their friend to be who they are.

Friend announces they are glad to be tolerated, and that they have a date. Cue gullible Character to pick them up and Character questioning if they should inform gullible character. undermining all credibility the episode had.

In short, what I saw of Transamerica seemed pretty good, but i didn't finish watch it and then forgot it existed until this very moment.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Laverne cox in orange is the new black is definitely a pretty good portrayal.
    I also liked Alexis Meade in Ugly Betty. Bitch was crazy-evil, but they got quite a few things right (though some things not-right too).
    Also kinda liked the episode in drop dead diva with a trans woman.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    man I hope we don't lose some forumers again

• Options
    What are some media representations of trans people that you found inspiring or positive, and what about them did you enjoy?

The last trans person on tv that I saw was quagmires dad. She took a lot of completely realistic reactions to her condition with an awesome amount of dignity and grace which made everyone else seem like an utter ass for acting that way.

Unfortunately I don't consume enough media to see that many other trans people. I guess Bridget is okay, although he seems a little campy but he falls into the guilty gear aesthetic pretty well. Unapologetic about his habit or his habits, doesn't need to seek validation. Strong person even if they're not a strong character.

And everyone's gay for Bridget so there's that

• Options
    I got a different impression from that family guy episode

watching one of those oh-so-hilarious overly extended jokes where Brian was throwing up because he slept with Quagmire's mom

Orange is the New Black is pretty good

and I appreciate that America's Next Top Model has included a few transladies (now that they're including guys, I hope a transguy is included in the future)

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular

The last trans person on tv that I saw was quagmires dad. She took a lot of completely realistic reactions to her condition with an awesome amount of dignity and grace which made everyone else seem like an utter ass for acting that way.

Unfortunately I don't consume enough media to see that many other trans people. I guess Bridget is okay, although he seems a little campy but he falls into the guilty gear aesthetic pretty well. Unapologetic about his habit or his habits, doesn't need to seek validation. Strong person even if they're not a strong character.

And everyone's gay for Bridget so there's that
    bridget's pretty good from the last tier list i saw

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    man I hope we don't lose some forumers again

don't sweat it

I have a feeling many of them were looking for an excuse to go

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    the trans character in Orange is the New Black is alright with the caveat that there's likely no way she'd actually wind up in a women's prison in real life and as such she'd be constantly subject to threats of sexual and physical violence

• Options
    if she had GRS, she would far more likely go to womens' prison

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    She totally did
    I believe the whole reason she is in prison is because she stole credit card numbers to pay for her GRS

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Dubh wrote: »

To crush gender expectations, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their supporters
    Oh my God! :o

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    yes and yes

the entirety of the decision of where to send a trans person is based on what genitals they're equipped with

because of course that's going to stop sexual assault mmhmm yep sure

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    lmao if you think anything'll stop sexual assaults in any prison.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    BYToady wrote: »
    lmao if you think anything'll stop sexual assaults in any prison.

shut down all prisons

bam cutting the gordian knot over here

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    But if we close down the prisons where am i going to store all these minori- prisoners?

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    But if we close down the prisons where am i going to store all these minori- prisoners?

throw them in the laundry-brig!

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    turn 'em loose a hundred miles from civilization

those that make it back have earned their freedom

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    But if we close down the prisons where am i going to store all these minori- prisoners get all my cheap labour?

:(

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Slight off topic, Is it wrong that I'm slightly against Russia losing the Olympics? Like I want them rung over the coals and etc for being bigotted jerkfaces

But , if they lose the Olympics, we get them again, and screw that! ( I'm outside Vancouver)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
This discussion has been closed.