As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Solforge: Set 3 Secrets of Solis Out Now!

• VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Oh. Why are you asking about the starter decks, then? You have like six times as many cards as there are in the starter decks.

I am le noob :(

Also I wanted to know if there was a starter deck the computer did particularly well with.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Vorpal wrote: »
    Oh. Why are you asking about the starter decks, then? You have like six times as many cards as there are in the starter decks.

Also I wanted to know if there was a starter deck the computer did particularly well with.

The computer AIs have some bugs but in general they're pretty consistent with anything. I'd either have them playing a deck you know works, or build a generic synergy-light Nek/Uterra aggro-midrange deck for them.

Can you really only have six decks O.o

steam_sig.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Do any of you happen to know if they are going to wipe your progress after the game exists open beta? I mean, it's a free open beta via steam so I imagine not? But if they are well, I don't want to grind cards for nothing.

Inquisitor wrote: »
    Do any of you happen to know if they are going to wipe your progress after the game exists open beta? I mean, it's a free open beta via steam so I imagine not? But if they are well, I don't want to grind cards for nothing.

There will not be any wipes.

Yay!

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited August 2013

Well, of the two premade decks, the AI would most likely do better with the Tempys/Unterra one. Uranti Bolts and mass buffs will always ruin your day without too much complex decision-making involved. If you give it the other deck I find that it tends to use Electro Net in exceptionally stupid ways.

But really with all the cards you have it should be trivial to make something more threatening for it to use. You can even just give it the very deck you're testing and see how it works from both angles.

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    You can get two ectowisps in the Uterra Starter, I think.

I've heard references to these alleged single-faction starter decks, but I don't think they exist in-game, at least not anymore.

Huh. Strange. I admit I didn't see them in the store either.

They seemed quite a bit better than the mixed dual faction starters. Each one had 4-6 heroic/legendaries. Think they were $5 each? I bought one of each way back in the day.

If you purchased them a while back they should still be there. I had to submit a support ticket to get them back.

I actually still have some codes to the uterra one which are still valid from when I handed them out at pax. I'll find them and post them.

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    If anyone hasn't mentioned it there is a promo where entering SOL20 as a coupon code when buying gold gives you 20% off. I haven't confirmed it myself but it was from the live stream last night. No idea how long it lasts, apparently it originated from gencon.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    So, just to kind of assuage some of the rarity issues people were mentioning earlier, my Nekrium deck has lost all of one multiplayer game in over a week, and it was to a Temp/Uterra deck with at least 2 Scorchmane Dragons/Phoenixes, that stupid hydra turdface that doubles attack values and the Tempys legendary bro that gets to attack twice a turn. His deck was nuts, granted, but the all-stars in my deck are not my Keepers of the Damned (I have 4 of the damned things) or my Doomwing. They are my Grave Pacts, Fell Walkers, Death Seekers, Ghastly Touches and Hungering Strikes. I only even have two Death Seekers and desperately want a third for the deck as the card just provides such good medium-term advantage.

I'd say the best cards in my deck, though, are my Soul Harvests, Dreadbolt and Witherfrost Succubus, which are all heroic. Legendaries in this game typically have a fairly costly drawback, but seem insane at first glance. Scorchmane Dragon may look like the best card in the game because its level 3 version is so backbreaking, but Grimgaunt Predator can put games away long before Scorchmane gets a chance to do its thing. Synergy is much better than individual power levels in this game, and Keeper of the Damned is really synergistic with a lot of Nekrium cards. Getting to rebuy a Death Seeker and then Soul Harvest it is my favorite thing to do, especially if I then get to Grave Pact a dude!

I'd consider rarities thusly as far as a sandwich analogy: rares are your bread. Your sandwich isn't going to function properly without some of the more faction-defining rares in your deck. Savants, surges and general utility cards fall in here. Heroics are going to be your meat. They make your bread taste better, and tend to give it an actual reason to exist and focus it a bit more. Commons are your mayo/mustard/butter/whatever. Without them, your sandwich is going to be a little bit dry and not have any cohesion. Legendaries are the potato chips. They're not necessary for a good sandwich, or even a great sandwich, but goddamn is that crunch awesome!

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Bwahaha. This guy set up a Cinderfist Brawler with +huge attack, and then used Cull the Weak on my Vengeful Spirit to clear the lane.

He didn't count on VS to reduce CB's health to zero on death.

• Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I'd consider rarities thusly as far as a sandwich analogy: rares are your bread. Your sandwich isn't going to function properly without some of the more faction-defining rares in your deck. Savants, surges and general utility cards fall in here. Heroics are going to be your meat. They make your bread taste better, and tend to give it an actual reason to exist and focus it a bit more. Commons are your mayo/mustard/butter/whatever. Without them, your sandwich is going to be a little bit dry and not have any cohesion. Legendaries are the potato chips. They're not necessary for a good sandwich, or even a great sandwich, but goddamn is that crunch awesome!

Well, I know what I'm having for lunch today.

I'll grant you that heroics are more essential than legendaries, but heroics aren't exactly easy to get. I've gotten two in three days, and for all I know the average could be well below that.

Also bear in mind that you're playing Nekrium, i.e. the ONLY faction with hard removal on a common. Try to pull that off with any other faction. Well, okay, Tempys could probably get by with your starting Uranti Bolts supplemented with savants and Lightning Spark or something, but look at the others. Unterra has a removal spell. One. Botanimate, a Heroic. If you play an Unterra deck and don't haave at least two Botanimates then you're straight gimped. There's no lower-rarity substitute (if you say Natural Selection I will punch you). And Alloyin is even worse.

It's a good thing I kind of like Nekrium/Tempys, because that's pretty much the only viable deck I'll be able to build for a long time. And even then I throw my hands up in despair any time someone plays Epidemic or Dreadbolt.

edited August 2013
    Unrelenting Dead may not be the biggest hitter at 14/14 at level 3, but with Regeneration 14 he can sit there and just be fat in a lane until the opponent wants to deal with him with a fatty of his own.

Echo on
    I obviously still have holes to fill in this deck, but I'm liking how it performs so far. Critters with on-death effects, and spells to kill my own shit.

Creatures:
    Alloyin General x1
    Blight Walker x1
    Darkshaper Savant x3
    Death Seeker x2
    Fell Walker x3
    Gloomreaper Witch x2
    Graveborn Glutton x2
    Necrotic Wurm x3
    Unrelenting Dead x1
    Vengeful Spirit x2

Spells:
    Contagion Surge x2
    Cull the Weak x3
    Grave Pact x1
    Hungering Strike x2
    Touch of Blight x2

Yeah I think Nekrium is amazing. The synergy between their 'kill one of your guys to do something amazing' removal cards and things like vengeful spirit, fell walker, fleshfiend, etc, is pretty insane.

And hungering strike is pretty amazing. I have only one dreadbolt but it's really nice.

I'd also like to try a Xerath heavy zombie deck, but I'm missing the Xerath part. And same for the guy who boost abominations?

Uterra's Botanimate is a pretty terrible removal spell, as it doesn't actually even clear the lane.
    Alloyin is actually better than uterra at removal, as long as you are playing a robot deck, because of Bulwark Bash. It works better with brightsteel sentinels (hard to get, I only have one because of the alloyin starter) and tech upgrade/steelshaper savant/forcefield (easy to get).

I have played mostly Alloyin. Going to Tempys/Nekrium is nice. Everything seems so much easier.

steam_sig.png
    edited August 2013
    Yeah, I love combos like drop a Death Seeker, then Grave Pact it to destroy the DS and an enemy and pop the Spirit Warrior out of the DS.

Especially great considering that the weakness of Cull the Weak is not having anything to level it up on, and now you have zombie fodder aplenty.

Echo on
    Uterra's Botanimate is a pretty terrible removal spell, as it doesn't actually even clear the lane.
    Alloyin is actually better than uterra at removal, as long as you are playing a robot deck, because of Bulwark Bash. It works better with brightsteel sentinels (hard to get, I only have one because of the alloyin starter) and tech upgrade/steelshaper savant/forcefield (easy to get).
    I don't use removal to clear a path, I use it to get rid of things that are about to snowball me to death like savants and fed Grimgaunts and stuff. Botanimate does that fine. It's not the best, but like I said, there's no alternative within Unterra.

I mostly meant that Alloyin is worse than Unterra about having core functionality gated behind heroics, not necessarily just removal specifically.

Yeah. Alloyin is not so hot. I was playing around with the idea of a deck built around Alloying Highlanders if I ever got enough of them, then realized it would only ever work against other Alloyin decks and anyone else could just remove my super powerful highlander dude.

steam_sig.png
    Eeh, out with Contagion Surge. Sure, they're free at level 2-3, but it's still just -3/-3 at level 3. It can be a clutch save, but usually they don't matter.

edited August 2013
    Echo wrote: »
    Eeh, out with Contagion Surge. Sure, they're free at level 2-3, but it's still just -3/-3 at level 3. It can be a clutch save, but usually they don't matter.

It's pretty terrible. Static Shock is saved by being pseudo-free even at level 1.

Even the kind of spell-spam deck that really wants free spells hates Contagion Surge, because casting it when you're at level 1 puts it out of the range of Master of Elements/Savant bonuses, but casting it as a level 1 when you're level 2 feels awful.

admanb on
    edited August 2013
    Yeah, I spent a few games trying to get Contagion Surge to work and it just wasn't happening. And then I got a second one, unfortunately.

EDIT: Man, the number of duplicates I've been getting is kind of insane. In the span of three days I went from zero to four Windcaller Shaman, zero to four Contagion Surge, and zero to three Magma Hound when there are still a ton of cards I have none of. I can't complain that much, because I love those hounds and today was really profitable for me in general (Echowisp, Master of Elements, Darkshaper Savant, and some other halfway decent stuff), but come on. Lay off the damn Contagions already!

Wyvern on
    This game needs matchmaking... so that I can stop curb stomping people.

Amazingly, I've already tipped the scale and started winning most of my games. I'm kind of shocked that it happened so quickly, but then I'm fortunate in that at least 75% of my high-rarity cards have been for the factions I'm using.

That dude seriously dropped two creatures on the board that could've killed -- not traded for, killed -- my level three Flameshaper Savant. Apparently a level one Metamind Adept was more important.

edited August 2013
    Interesting bit of information from this page: Each of your three daily rewards has roughly a 1% chance of being a premium pack, a 24% chance of being a standard pack, a 25% chance of a basic pack, and a 50% chance of being a single card. So you have over a 50% chance of getting at least one standard pack per day, which isn't too bad (on average you'll get a fair bit more than one every two days due to the modest chance of multiples). There are breakdowns for the rarity of cards within a pack and the amount of silver you get, too.

Wyvern on
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I managed to get a premium pack yesterday. I was stoked.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    edited August 2013
    I thought the timer had been reduced to 5 minutes per turn but apparently that is not the case.

Also...is the deckbuilder not working right? I'm seeing cards I didn't pick show up.

Man, I just came back from a 3 life to 50+ life deficit.

Vorpal on
    steam_sig.png
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So am I missing something or is there some sort of log that lets me know what is happening each turn?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    Click the gear/menu button.

• VicVic Registered User regular
    Another day, another small pile of unusable cards.

I'm starting to think the only thing that really worries Nekrium is another Nekrium deck (or a really good hard rush tempys deck)

Nekrium has so much removal it's insane. The grimgaunts are also (especially splashed with some uterra buffs) the biggest baddest monsters around. Only Nekrium is really loaded with easy removal to handle grimgaunts (grave pact, blight walkers, dreadbolts, that guy that steals attack, etc)

Tempys has some. Uterra and Alloyin basically have nothing and are far weaker over all. Uterra big monsters are easily removed/neutralized by Nekrium, while Alloyin seems like a neat idea that somehow just doesn't seem to work out well in practice.

steam_sig.png
    If you had a full set, Energy Prison and Botanimate would be fine removal spells (although Energy Prison on a Grimgaunt Predator would be making problems for yourself, I guess). The problem is that they're both heroic, so nobody has them and you're forced to splash Nekrium or Tempys for removal. Which is BS. Either those two spells should rare at most or you should start with some.

Between the two blasty factions, I'd almost say that Uranti Bolt is better than Nekrium's spells because it's totally non-conditional. If Nekrium spells are overpowered it's because of Epidemic. There is no other spell in the game that is even close to matching what Epidemic does for wiping an opponent's entire board (or at least rendering it useless).

Uterra is arguably more about flooding the board and buffing it than big single creatures and can thus work around single-target removal (it can arguably use Grave Pact better than pure Nekrium can), but Epidemic exists so oh well.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I'm starting to think the only thing that really worries Nekrium is another Nekrium deck (or a really good hard rush tempys deck)

Nekrium has so much removal it's insane. The grimgaunts are also (especially splashed with some uterra buffs) the biggest baddest monsters around. Only Nekrium is really loaded with easy removal to handle grimgaunts (grave pact, blight walkers, dreadbolts, that guy that steals attack, etc)

Tempys has some. Uterra and Alloyin basically have nothing and are far weaker over all. Uterra big monsters are easily removed/neutralized by Nekrium, while Alloyin seems like a neat idea that somehow just doesn't seem to work out well in practice.

Alloyin needs a card:

"Blast Shields" : All creatures with attack over X have their attack reduced to Y. Final version would be all creatures with attack over X are destroyed.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    Yeah. Nekrium has a counter to everything. One of my uterra opponents managed to put out like..4-5 of those wolves that spawn another copy of themselves. He had the board full of them. That would normally have left him in a very strong position.

one epidemic took them all out.

Epidemic also works extremely well against echo wisps, another normally extremely strong card.

I also ran into a very interesting combo for nekrium. The explosion that destroys one of your creatures and deals its attack directly to the opponent comboed with that ghost (souldrinker?) that steals the opponents attack and adds it to your own. This is an 'in theory only' combo mind you, from browsing the complete card lists.

Also, as Nekrium, if something gets energy prisoned you just use it as fuel for your grave pact or corpse crawler or what you have.

steam_sig.png
    Also, as Nekrium, if something gets energy prisoned you just use it as fuel for your grave pact or corpse crawler or what you have.

That's my favorite aspect of playing necro-stuff in games. Everything is disposable.

And bio-degradable too!

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Alloyin doesn't need removal. Techticians + Generals make your dudes removal. A lot of their common and rare creatures have good attack values for their level, except like level 1 Technosmiths.

What made Alloyin scary in the older beta was armor, because if you have armor equal to or close to the enemies attack then your creatures can basically act as removal. But like, none of the starting Alloyin cards have armor.

Like, a level 3 Brightsteel Sentinel gives all robots you control 20 armor for that turn, you can wipe an entire board without losing anyone basically on a turn like that. But the starting deck for Alloyin sucks.

Level 3 Echowisp fills all lanes! Haha wow. That card is insane :D

steam_sig.png
  • A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    I've fallen in love with Technosmiths and Energy surge.
    Things that I've discovered today:
    The escape key will cancel a creature's ability if you don't want to use it.
    Necro slime and a 3 armor creature means huge massive necro slime unless they kill it fast.
    A level 3 Scrapforge titan means you pretty much win. Especially if you give it breakthrough

Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.