As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tech] thread - Galaxy Gear is bad

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    So are we getting new iPads or iPods too?

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    they might show off the new Touches

i think the iPad refresh is supposed to come a little bit later though

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I assume there won't be an ipod touch refresh, like there wasn't when the 4S happened. Which kinda sucks cos the screen is smashed up on mine and I don't want to buy a year old tech and I don't want to wait another year for a new one [but I probably will].

• Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    There's a cog next to my posts that I can tap on to edit them, do you not have that?

I don't have one for some reason. Hmm...

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Macro9 wrote: »
    pimento wrote: »
    There's a cog next to my posts that I can tap on to edit them, do you not have that?

I don't have one for some reason. Hmm...

I say, that is some whack arsed shit.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I realize now that I also cannot see the cog in Chrome on Android 4.3.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/23/steve-ballmer-retirement

So in exciting news, Ballmer is leaving MS within a year. Their stock has jumped around 6% since the announcement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8To-6VIJZRE

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Google dropped the price on the Nexus 4 by $100 in the US. Now $199/$249 here, with similar price drops in many other places.

Edit:

a5ehren on
  • SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    I'm trying to get a new phone this weekend, I'm with verizon so I have to decide between the new DROIDs they just put out, HTC One, Moto X, or maybe a Galaxy S4
    if anyone has any recommendations that's be super

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Snowbear wrote: »
    I'm trying to get a new phone this weekend, I'm with verizon so I have to decide between the new DROIDs they just put out, HTC One, Moto X, or maybe a Galaxy S4
    if anyone has any recommendations that's be super

I'm pretty happy with the S4 but I'm new to Android.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    The best HTC available is always a sound choice.

I would stay away from Motorola and Droid

S4 is a solid phone as well

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    HTC One is best in phones right now for sure.

S4 is a good choice as well.

Moto X is a mid range phone at high end phone price

I just love the hell out of my One and everyone should get one

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    If I had to buy a phone right now on Verizon, it would be the HTC One.

There are pictures of a Motorola slider with wireless charging and a 4.3-4.5" screen, seemingly the Droid 5. I am probably going to jump ship to Verizon for it if the price/specs are right.

• ManishtushuManishtushu Registered User regular
    I'm currently running a 3GS that just got a crack down where the charger plugs in, so it might be time for a phone upgrade.

The question is do I break away from the Apple ecosystem or stay in its warm authoritarian embrace?

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Do you have any other Apple hardware, or just the phone?

If it's just the phone, run. Run, and don't look back.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    i don't know about run, but if you're open to another iPhone at least wait for the new ones to come out so you can get a price drop (although I think the 4's are free with a plan these days).

non-Apple stuff, then yeah, go nuts

It's still working, so it can wait long enough for the new phones to come out.

I have a MB Air, but to be honest I haven't even plugged my phone into it yet.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i stick wit apples but that is me

man 3GS is like 4 years old

poo
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    and i do not own an apple computer at the moment

but i never plug my phone into my computer anyway

poo
    Oooh, so now rumor has it that Sept. 10 will be both new iPhones and new iPads.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    A good friend of mine has fully adopted the Apple ecosystem. Every family member has an iPhone, iPod, and an iPad, they all use Apple tv and Apple laptops and desktop computers (except for his custom built gaming rig).

It all works really well, his parents have no problems using the technology, and as everybody has Applecare on all of their devices, they're basically safe as houses.

However, to get everything set up like that has cost a shit-ton of money over the last two to three years, and now they're basically stuck with it. And if Apple says "Oh hey we're ceasing support for this particular device" and they still have two or three of them, then they're out a few thousand dollars because they have to go buy new stuff to keep up with everything else.

I want to go the other way, except with Windows stuff. My next phone will be a Windows phone, I have a W8 desktop computer and I'm planning on getting a Haswell refresh Surface Pro. My partner's current smartphone died on the weekend, and she's quite keen on an S4 because she loves my S3. I'm trying to get her to get some time in with a WP8 handset, but she is resisting.

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    micro USB standard motherfucker

ikbUJdU.jpg
    A good friend of mine has fully adopted the Apple ecosystem. Every family member has an iPhone, iPod, and an iPad, they all use Apple tv and Apple laptops and desktop computers (except for his custom built gaming rig).

It all works really well, his parents have no problems using the technology, and as everybody has Applecare on all of their devices, they're basically safe as houses.

However, to get everything set up like that has cost a shit-ton of money over the last two to three years, and now they're basically stuck with it. And if Apple says "Oh hey we're ceasing support for this particular device" and they still have two or three of them, then they're out a few thousand dollars because they have to go buy new stuff to keep up with everything else.

I want to go the other way, except with Windows stuff. My next phone will be a Windows phone, I have a W8 desktop computer and I'm planning on getting a Haswell refresh Surface Pro. My partner's current smartphone died on the weekend, and she's quite keen on an S4 because she loves my S3. I'm trying to get her to get some time in with a WP8 handset, but she is resisting.

Seems like the same sort of trade-off comparison that Apple had/has going on with PCs; Apple stuff is usually easier for regular people to use for what they want to do, but Windows (or Android) has a larger potential for people who know what they're doing to customize and get more specific functionality out of them.

That and with Apple you pay extra for the ease of use/build quality.

• SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Hm. seeing a lot of love for the HTC One here. Thanks a lot guys, gonna swing by the verizon store sometime this weekend and play with each of them for a little bit before making a final choice

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    the Moto X is super excellent btw

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    I messed around with an att Moto X the other day, it seems super nice. Calling it a mid-range phone with a high-end price is really not accurate either. It has a dual core, yes, but keeps the same 4-core graphics processor that the Htc one is using. Only other thing that's not "high end" is the screen, and I have a hard time telling the difference in quality between 720 and 1080p screens.

It's also really compact compared to the S4/One. If you're a person who doesn't want/need a huge phone, look into the Moto X

they figured out that Apple is excelling by not fighting a spec war and fighting a feature war and ever feature on the Moto X is fucking great

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Damn! Pretty sure I'm well out of the period Google would price match.the nexus 4 I got semi recently

• EndEnd Registered User regular
    I saw a date for getting a price match and it was like august 12th or something like that

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
    for my phone it was a 1 month window for price matching and the price was reduced 1 month and 1 day from purchase

Ehh, I never really considered 4 years to be a long run for a phone. But it's getting too slow to do anything but basic functions now. Skype just straight up murders it.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Ehh, I never really considered 4 years to be a long run for a phone. But it's getting too slow to do anything but basic functions now. Skype just straight up murders it.

The last 5 years or so have seen pretty insane changes in the smartphone world. If you plan to keep your next phone for awhile, I'd probably stick with Apple (and wait for the new stuff in September). They've shown the best track record so far of updating older devices - even if you can't run all the new features, you at least keep getting app support.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/28/4669960/android-vp-hugo-barra-reportedly-leaving-google-for-chinese
    The Verge wrote:
    Google’s VP in charge of Android product management is reportedly leaving the company for Chinese cellphone maker Xiaomi. All Things D reports that Hugo Barra recently tendered his resignation at the company he joined in 2008. All Things D's report suggests that Barra had been in a relationship with a Google employee who is now seeing co-founder Sergey Brin, but that that the relationships are unrelated to Barra's resignation.
    Sources in position to know tell AllThingsD that Barra recently tendered his resignation, but that it came before a recent personal situation related to the end of a romantic relationship he had with another Googler and is unrelated.

That Googler is now seeing the company’s co-founder Sergey Brin. As AllThingsD reported earlier today, Brin has split with his wife and is in that to new relationship.

BREAKING NEWS LOVE TRIANGLE DESTROYS ANDROID MORE AT 11

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    TALK ABOUT ANDROID FRAGMENTATION

Anyway I ordered a coworker a Nexus 4 as a new company phone and thankfully the SIM cards for the iPhone 4S and Nexus 4 are identical so it shouldn't be a big deal to swap'em out.

Looking forward to playing around with a decent Android device, as my only other experience has been with Lady SH's father's shitty $99 Android tablets. Yes, plural, because the man would rather spend $500 on 5 shitty Android devices than one good iPad.
    Note, I am not saying Android is shitty, just the cheap hardware it's running on, in this case.

TALK ABOUT ANDROID FRAGMENTATION

ROFLCOPTER

honestly $250 for a Nexus 4 makes it literally the best smartphone deal you can get hands down

New Zealand bans software patents.

I only just caught on to this, and it seems interesting. I don't know how it will end up working though - I assume that anyone who develops software that contravenes a US/EU patent will end up not being able to sell it in the US/EU.

This discussion has been closed.