As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Name that Game [Game Detective Thread]

wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awfulRegistered User regular
edited June 2013 in Games and Technology
What is this?

This is a thread where we ask about those old games we half remember and help people find them. The odd Help/Advice thread with people looking for help finding a specific game crop up, but I'd like to see if a general thread, with a common game info format and list of unknown/found games, can get off the ground. If a specific game can't be found, perhaps a similar one that will scratch the itch can be.

The OP will be updated with a list/descriptions of games people are looking for, and that people have found.

Format

Game info in the OP will be presented in a standardized format, which people are encouraged to use in their requests for help.

That format is:

Game: A pseudo-title for unknown games/the title of found games.
[ spoiler ]
Platform: The platform(s) of the game.
Genre: The genre of the game, or necessary description when the genre is unusual.
Era: Information pertaining to when the game came out, such as a rough guess of a year, whether its 2D/3D, graphic/sound quality, etc.

Description:

A description of the game play of the game, and any other pertinent info such as plot, characters etc.

Style:

Aesthetic information about the game, visuals/sounds/music etc.

Eliminated: Games that this game is NOT

Searcher : The forum poster(s) looking for the game
Finder: The forum poster(s) who identified the game
[ /spoiler ]

See the two games I've listed as examples.

Lost Games

Amiga Laser Ship Thing
Platform: I'm pretty sure it was for Amiga, but again, ass young, all I know for sure is it wasn't dos and mac is doubtful.

Description:

Things I remember:
It was 3d, in the technicolor untextured shapes sense.
You flew around in a ship of some sort, and had lasers.
There was an ingame map, in the "orange peel that was removed in one piece and flattened out" style.
There was a set of blocks that was supposed to be a city/colony/something or other.
Said set of blocks was getting attacked by giant walker things with lasers, War of the Worlds style.
You could break the dome on top of the walkers, presumably breaking its laser, but not actually destroying it.
You could shoot out one of its feet, causing it to fall over.
You had a few van-looking ships that would autopilot into a walker's foot, destroying the foot.
At some point you get to go up into space and shoot at what is presumably where the walkers are coming from, I think it was a sort of hexagon framework thing.

I have no clue how much of this is actually real and how much is shit my child brain made up, but dammit I remember it and it would be nice if it was real.

Searcher: NEO|Phyte

Castlevania-like Platfomer
Platform: PC
Genre: Platformer
Era: Mid 90s? 2D.

Description:

Very much a haunted castle/castlevania like game (but apparently not actually a castlevania game, as far as I can tell). Secret rooms and whatnot. I recall a rising water level being a significant feature of a level, maybe entire flooding of a room that had to be escaped from. Possibly rooms also rotated/turned upside down, though I'm not certain about that.

Items collected included little swords and golden goblets. The player, weapons or enemies I remember nothing about.

Style:

Bright strong purples/blues come to mind, with a general medieval/castle style. Yellow objects. I recall a little *ding* sound when items (swords?) or treasure would drop/were collected. The water effects were pretty impressive.

Eliminated: Rusty
Demon Castle Special: Kid Dracula

Possible: Hocus Pocus

Searcher: Wilting

Found Games

Kingdom of Kroz
Genre: Dungeon Crawler?
Era: Early 90's

Description:

Everything was made with ascii characters. You walked around as an @ I think, can't remember. Each level was one screen big. You had a start and end in the level. I know you had whips you used to clear things. I remember there being monsters that moved varing speeds. I also am sure that at least one level had gravity. I felt like you had a score and it was a balance between get more score, and save whips to get to exit. I remember having to save whips to do stuff. I want to say it started with a b, and for some reason think bjork?

Eliminated: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup

Searcher: DyasAlure
Finder: DyasAlure

The Perfect General II
Genre: Turn Based Strategy
Era: Mid 90s? 2D.

Description:

A hex based wargame of soldiers/tanks, with a title maybe including "general" or "commander" or something. Not a panzer general type, more stylized than realistic, with opposing sides using the same units in red or blue. I only played the demo, where you started at the bottom of the map (although I believe you could play as the defender) with the objective to capture a number of cities in a certain number of turns.

Units mostly engaged each other at range, but I recall using armoured cars in particular to 'assault' cities, which resulted in the destruction of the attacking or defending unit. Bridges could be destroyed, with yellow dots beside them indicating their condition. Before the mission started, you purchased and deployed your units. I'm not sure if you could purchase units during a mission.

Units I remember:
Infantry
Bazooka Infantry
Armoured Car
Armoured Car with Machine Gun (for AA) (really difficult to dislodge from city tiles)
Light Tank
Medium Tank
Heavy Tank (?)
Elephant Tank
Mobile Artillery
Light Artillery (stationary, area of effect weapon, long range, explosion/fire would last for a while, preventing movement)
Heavy Artillery (stationary, area of effect weapon, really long range (like half the map), explosion/fire would last for a while, preventing movement)
Plane (propeller aircraft with the appearance of a ww2 bomber)

Style:

Top down view (as opposed to a side on advance war/panzer general spirte), with strong red/blues/yellows. Turrets/weapons/detailing on units was often grey. Music was military sounding. Weapon firing had a 'pop' kind of sound, excluding machine guns, or artillery which had a barrage sound. Bullets/projectiles were little round grey balls. City assaults were noisy affairs.

Searcher: Wilting
Finder: Orogogus

Closing Comments

Any suggestions for improvements to the OP (such as good resources for finding games, or game info format suggestions) are most welcome.

I'm unsure if screenshots/images or other media aids should be included in the OP, but feel free to use them in the thread.

If people searching for a game remember more info, or clues are found, or they want to change their description, the OP can totally be updated.

wilting on

• DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Dungeon crawler made with ascii characters (Kingdom of Kroz) - Found
    Genre: Dungeon Crawler?
    Era: Early 90's

Description"
    Everything was made with ascii characters. You walked around as an @ I think, can't remember. Each level was one screen big. You had a start and end in the level. I know you had whips you used to clear things. I remember there being monsters that moved varing speeds. I also am sure that at least one level had gravity. I felt like you had a score and it was a balance between get more score, and save whips to get to exit. I remember having to save whips to do stuff. I want to say it started with a b, and for some reason think bjork?

Eleminated Games:
    Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup

Found Game:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Kroz

DyasAlure on
    My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    @DyasAlure

Is it Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup? (Literally first google result).

I guess that's only recent. Might have to add 'eliminated games' to the format.

wilting on
    edited June 2013
    wilting wrote: »
    @DyasAlure

Is it Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup? (Literally first google result).

I guess that's only recent. Might have to add 'eliminated games' to the format.

Nope, that is not it. It was more Diablo 3 like in the fact that it was live game. You didn't type commands. I'm sure Space was the use whip command, and other than that arrows to move.

Edit:
    Found it!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Kroz

DyasAlure on
    My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
    Ah, well done!

Ah, well done!

Funny, it bugged me since around 6pm on sunday PST, and I couldn't find it. Than I post here with your thread and find it.

Helping without actually helping!

My two games have been bugging me for years.

I guess this thread isn't going to get off the ground?

• BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular

I got nothing on either, otherwise I'd be all over it. I remember one game mildly close the the castlevania game, maybe you're a vampires son or something but like a kid. Very arcadey/cartoonish looking. but I have no idea what the game was nor what system.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited June 2013

I got nothing on either, otherwise I'd be all over it. I remember one game mildly close the the castlevania game, maybe you're a vampires son or something but like a kid. Very arcadey/cartoonish looking. but I have no idea what the game was nor what system.
    You're thinking of Akumajō Special: Boku Dracula-kun (Demon Castle Special: Kid Dracula)

i6yz5y.jpg

My guess for the title in question would be Rusty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0JaLmt68Tk

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I've got one that's been bugging me for a while, I'm reasonably sure I'm not just imagining the whole thing, but I was a young'un at the time, so who knows.

I'm pretty sure it was for Amiga, but again, ass young, all I know for sure is it wasn't dos and mac is doubtful.

Things I remember:
    It was 3d, in the technicolor untextured shapes sense.
    You flew around in a ship of some sort, and had lasers.
    There was an ingame map, in the "orange peel that was removed in one piece and flattened out" style.
    There was a set of blocks that was supposed to be a city/colony/something or other.
    Said set of blocks was getting attacked by giant walker things with lasers, War of the Worlds style.
    You could break the dome on top of the walkers, presumably breaking its laser, but not actually destroying it.
    You could shoot out one of its feet, causing it to fall over.
    You had a few van-looking ships that would autopilot into a walker's foot, destroying the foot.
    At some point you get to go up into space and shoot at what is presumably where the walkers are coming from, I think it was a sort of hexagon framework thing.

I have no clue how much of this is actually real and how much is shit my child brain made up, but dammit I remember it and it would be nice if it was real.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    edited June 2013
    @Broncbuster
    @B:L

Thanks for the suggestions, sadly neither of them are it (seen rusty before).

wilting on
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    A possibility for the platformer in the OP is Hocus Pocus.

The tank hex & turn-based strategy is probably The Perfect General II.

Orogogus on
    @Orogogus

The Perfect General II is spot on, thanks! I thought Hocus Pocus might be this game before, but certain things don't quite add up, I'm not sure to be honest.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I'm looking for an old game that was out on windows 95, about at the time Myst was out.

The game is a blue car/jet from a semi top down view and the jet car has to make it over platforms while heading in towards the top direction, while the platform can get smaller and more trickey to navigate. No, its not from first person from windows 95 space game from windows arcade, that's not the game.

There was also a Command and Conqor game that was in first person. You could be a mechanic and drive vehicles, tanks, a sniper class and a few others.

The object of the game was like original rts, you had to kill the other persons base. You could also repair the buildings in the base by teaming up with other engineers.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Finally found - tecmo super bowl, nes

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Roe wrote: »
    I'm looking for an old game that was out on windows 95, about at the time Myst was out.

The game is a blue car/jet from a semi top down view and the jet car has to make it over platforms while heading in towards the top direction, while the platform can get smaller and more trickey to navigate. No, its not from first person from windows 95 space game from windows arcade, that's not the game.

There was also a Command and Conqor game that was in first person. You could be a mechanic and drive vehicles, tanks, a sniper class and a few others.

The object of the game was like original rts, you had to kill the other persons base. You could also repair the buildings in the base by teaming up with other engineers.

C&C Renegade multiplayer is the second one.

No clue on the first.

newSig.jpg
  • BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    I was archiving files getting ready to upgrade from laptop to a desktop and I found a file called unknown.mp3 and it sounds like it's from some nes/gb/wonderswan?? game and I have no idea which one - I've looked for years with no success, even if someone could help narrow it down with knowledge of sound chips or something that'd be great:
    http://blueblueblueblueblue.com/unknown.mp3
    It definitely sounds like GB music -- probably early GB. It has a kind of Megaman-ish vibe in a few places, but I don't recognize it from any of the GB Megaman games.

• MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular

SkyRoads

• BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Billmaan wrote: »
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    I was archiving files getting ready to upgrade from laptop to a desktop and I found a file called unknown.mp3 and it sounds like it's from some nes/gb/wonderswan?? game and I have no idea which one - I've looked for years with no success, even if someone could help narrow it down with knowledge of sound chips or something that'd be great:
    http://blueblueblueblueblue.com/unknown.mp3
    It definitely sounds like GB music -- probably early GB. It has a kind of Megaman-ish vibe in a few places, but I don't recognize it from any of the GB Megaman games.

I guess I need to be as diligent with the gb as I was on nes, it felt very capcom to me so I listened to all the capcom nes songs

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    There was an old NES game that had ninjas and they were climbing some clouds. I played it as a kid and was wondering what the title was.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    Kid Niki had both ninjas and clouds, though I don't know that cloud-climbing was the focal point.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I need help.

Im pretty sure it was for the Commodore 64, but it may have been an Amiga title. Or both!

This was a post-apocalyptic open world top-down shooter. You played as a dude and you also had a car. I think it was red. You drove around and could get out if the car and enter buildings. I think your enemies were either primarily or entirely zombies. The buildings you entered would have ammo and gas. Also a lot of green oozy barrels. Acid I think? I think there were acid pools too.

The end goal or maybe only the goal of the first chapter was to make it to some kind of arena.

It was kind of like Autoduel but more advanced and less open worldy.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I need help.

Im pretty sure it was for the Commodore 64, but it may have been an Amiga title. Or both!

This was a post-apocalyptic open world top-down shooter. You played as a dude and you also had a car. I think it was red. You drove around and could get out if the car and enter buildings. I think your enemies were either primarily or entirely zombies. The buildings you entered would have ammo and gas. Also a lot of green oozy barrels. Acid I think? I think there were acid pools too.

The end goal or maybe only the goal of the first chapter was to make it to some kind of arena.

It was kind of like Autoduel but more advanced and less open worldy.

I know it's the wrong system, but that sounds amazingly like Mad Max for the NES. Perhaps it was on one of those two consoles as well?

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    There was an old NES game that had ninjas and they were climbing some clouds. I played it as a kid and was wondering what the title was.

Not quite a ninja, but maybe the Jackie Chan game?

• HH AustereHH Austere Registered User regular
    Platform: NES
    Genre: Shooter-ish

For years I haven't been able to remember a game I played one weekend at a friends' house. It was on the NES, and it was top down. Sort of like Contra, if the camera was over the players heads and not to the side. It was co-op, but I don't recall if you had a choice in character. You shot generic guns and moved up the screen and shot more guys. The one specific scene I remember was we fought a boss in a sewer, and when we won he picked us up, spun in a circle like he was throwing a discus, and tossed us out of the sewer and into the next level.

Platform: Arcade
    Genre: Beat'em up (like Double Dragon)
    Era: Mid(?) 90's

This game was a lot like River City Ransom, but the only part I can recall and explain was a bonus area where we were in these little ships, or cars. We had to quickly go down corridors and could pick different paths, but if one of us chose wrong then both players had to back up so they could go down the correct one. I feel like this bonus level was electrified looking in some way. I don't expect anyone to know this one, heh.

• XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    So I've asked this one before, and been unable to come up with an answer. Most of the memories have faded by now, I played it once, at a friends house way back when because he'd rented it and I never saw it again.

I'm pretty sure it was SNES but it may have been sega or NES. He had all three.

Platform: SNES (probably. Possibly NES or SEGA)
    Genre: Metroidvania

Mostly all I can remember now is that it was a metroidvania, except you were in a ship, flying around tunnels and stuff. You could get upgrades for your ship. If you can't figure it out from that, I won't be upset, but if I don't ask, I'll never know, right?

Eliminated games:
    Blaster Master

Xaviar on
    Xaviar wrote: »
    So I've asked this one before, and been unable to come up with an answer. Most of the memories have faded by now, I played it once, at a friends house way back when because he'd rented it and I never saw it again.

Mostly all I can remember now is that it was a metroidvania, except you were in a ship, flying around tunnels and stuff. You could get upgrades for your ship. If you can't figure it out from that, I won't be upset, but if I don't ask, I'll never know, right?

Probably a long shot, since it's such a well-known game, but that description could fit Blaster Master.

• XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    No. A good guess, but you actually flew around in a space ship type thing, not just a car that jumped.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Solar Jetman? NES game, fly around on different planets and collect salvage to buy upgrades/ships and possibly even a super secret awesome ship?

newSig.jpg
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Billmaan wrote: »

Probably a long shot, since it's such a well-known game, but that description could fit Blaster Master.

Pretty sure this is Sub-Terrania. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub-Terrania

steam_sig.png
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    CowShark wrote: »

Not quite a ninja, but maybe the Jackie Chan game?

Kid Niki Radical Ninja www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4CBb_FGTHM

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    Nice to see the thread active, will update the OP, I swears.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    HH Austere wrote: »
    Platform: NES
    Genre: Shooter-ish

For years I haven't been able to remember a game I played one weekend at a friends' house. It was on the NES, and it was top down. Sort of like Contra, if the camera was over the players heads and not to the side. It was co-op, but I don't recall if you had a choice in character. You shot generic guns and moved up the screen and shot more guys. The one specific scene I remember was we fought a boss in a sewer, and when we won he picked us up, spun in a circle like he was throwing a discus, and tossed us out of the sewer and into the next level.

It's literally been decades since I played it, but could it have been Guerilla War? I dug up this video, but only watched part of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTs-6dgGxqs

There was also Heavy Barrel, but I don't remember if that had co-op.

And there's always the Ikari Warrior games.

• dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    HH Austere wrote: »
    Platform: Arcade
    Genre: Beat'em up (like Double Dragon)
    Era: Mid(?) 90's

This game was a lot like River City Ransom, but the only part I can recall and explain was a bonus area where we were in these little ships, or cars. We had to quickly go down corridors and could pick different paths, but if one of us chose wrong then both players had to back up so they could go down the correct one. I feel like this bonus level was electrified looking in some way. I don't expect anyone to know this one, heh.

Renegade?

steam_sig.png
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    No. A good guess, but you actually flew around in a space ship type thing, not just a car that jumped.

Sounds like Gradius III or maybe certain stages in Darius.

or if the tunnels were organic and it was a NES game, maybe Abadox

Xaquin on
  • HH AustereHH Austere Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    It's literally been decades since I played it, but could it have been Guerilla War?

Hmm, maybe. I'll try it when I get home. The art style seems familiar...

I don't think so. The art seems more realistic than what my foggy memory thinks it was :P. I'll try it too.

Thanks, guys!

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

Sounds like Gradius III or maybe certain stages in Darius.

or if the tunnels were organic and it was a NES game, maybe Abadox

Sounds like Section Z to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CYN4dTkgyc

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

Eliminated games:
    Blaster Master

Could it have been Guardian Legend for the NES? I never played it myself, but it's often lauded as being ahead of its time. Looks like a standard vertical shmup at first, but the next area you're walking around like in Blaster Master. I believe you can upgrade the ship too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7sw8cODmX4

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Could also have been W.U.R.M for the NES. Game actually had 3 parts, one where you flew the ship, one where you explored on foot and one where you shot bosses Operation Wolf style

58394.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

wurm-1.gif

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I'll have to get WURM someday. Looks impressive for a NES game.