As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Anyone know a good scan/update driver site?

SladeSlade Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi there, I was trying to fix a problem or two on my notebook when I saw a link to a site called Laptopvideo2go.com that can scan your comp and gives you connections to update your drives that it alerts you are outdated or bad. It said I had a few bad drives and needed to update them, only problem is to do so there you need to pay.

I was wondering if there are any free sites that will scan a comp and give you the proper links to update the drivers.

Any help is appreciated.

Slade on

• RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Slade wrote: »
    Hi there, I was trying to fix a problem or two on my notebook when I saw a link to a site called Laptopvideo2go.com that can scan your comp and gives you connections to update your drives that it alerts you are outdated or bad. It said I had a few bad drives and needed to update them, only problem is to do so there you need to pay.

I was wondering if there are any free sites that will scan a comp and give you the proper links to update the drivers.

Any help is appreciated.

Windows Update

But usually the best way to go is the Notebook Manufacturer's support page.

Ruckus on
  • SladeSlade Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ruckus wrote: »
    Slade wrote: »

Any help is appreciated.

Windows Update

But usually the best way to go is the Notebook Manufacturer's support page.

I always check for windows update so that's not a problem.

As for going to the manufacturer's support page, I've found getting help there not so easy as one might imagine or expect.

Slade on
  • zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The issue with notebooks is customization.
    Notebook components (especially GPU's) are not your standard off-the-shelf hardware components that any old driver will work for.
    For example, if you have a 7950GTX 512 notebook GPU, chances are you have a Sager or Clevo notebook - and the standard Nvidia drivers from the Nvidia driver page do not support the 7950GTX.
    You need the current video drivers from the Sager/Clevo support site, or drivers from notebook enthusiasts that produce their own custom drivers.

Therefore, i'm not sure a typical "driver scan" 3rd party program will be able to accurately identify and/or suggest upgrades for your notebook.

What brand/model notebook are you using?
    That might help.

zhen_rogue on