As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New Young Uncanny Secret A.I. Arena [Avengers] Thread (Now with less Dark)

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    He's got plans for three years, maybe he'll stay on after that, maybe not. I doubt Bendis had plans for eight years of Avengers stories when he signed on.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Avengers feels like it's treading water since Caselli has been artist, lots of wasted pages. I wasn't a fan of Deodato's arc but there were still things in motion and Hickman felt like he had something to write about, the past three issues really could have been an annual or something. Everything that is the 'Avengers' part of the last issue was more like filler compared to previous issues.
    IMO, they just treading water to Infinity.
    17 issues in and we get an "End Prelude".
    I take it Hickman is going to be writing Avengers for a very long time then.

Well, the most recent storyarc was called "Prelude to Infinity" I don't think it was meant that the first 17 issues were a prelude.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I doubt Bendis had plans for eight years of Avengers stories when he signed on.

Bendis was probably surprised himself because he sure didn't have eight years of stories.

(as each new issue of Uncanny and ANXM shows up, it makes his Avengers run look worse, and by extension the Avengers editorial office).

• Options
    Lots of advance reviews of Mighty Avengers #1 popping up.

Comic Book Resources: "Mighty Avengers #1 was placed at a great disadvantage when it was assigned as an Infinity tie-in with Land on art. However, Ewing manages to rise above this with his fantastic character work; in the first issue alone, he establishes an interesting dynamic between his new "team," regardless of their dysfunctions. Bursting with potential, Mighty Avengers is a book to keep an eye on, especially once it's free of the "Infinity" event. 3 1/2 stars."

Comics Alliance: "Mighty Avengers #1 is an auspicious debut for Al Ewing, an extremely capable writer whose work on 2000 AD has stood out for some time. His dialogue is clever and authentic, and he handles an important title, and significant moment for Marvel, incredibly well. Ewing is a welcome addition to super hero books in the U.S. Mighty Avengers is drawn by Greg Land. I guess that will have to do."

Newsarama: "Right now, with so many other Avengers titles on the stands, Mighty Avengers still has a ways to go before it can truly stand apart from its sister titles. While Jonathan Hickman is reaching the ends of the universe with his deliberately plotted Infinity, Mighty Avengers still feels a little too slap-dash, a little too convenient to really measure up. Unless you're a die-hard Luke Cage fan, this series is missing a key ingredient to really make it succeed. 5 out of 10."

• Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    I'm keen. It's kind of funny how it's being called Al Ewing's "debut". I mean I know it's in the context of Marvel superhero comics but still the guys on OG!

I also am not really that excited about how clinically plotted Hickman's stuff feels so I'm happy to have it a bit "slap dash"

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    Pointing out the obvious to Brevoort, others are more of teh tracer

The gist if you don't want the BC link, is Brevoort shows Land preview art, clearly traced face and stuff, Brevoort defends the art then attempts to say others trace too:

brevoortlandtrace_zps90868720.jpg

He's probably pointing out Aja, Lark, and Deodato, but they (except for Deodato recently) do reference but make it work. I can tell Aja photoreferences Clint and Kate all the time but he makes it his own so it's not so damn obvious. Don't throw much more talented artists under the bus to protect Greg Land.

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Unless it's pretty essential to Infinity, which it seems like it's not, it's getting a pass from me. At least for now. I don't need another title to read (especially another $4 one), I'm not the biggest Luke Cage fan, I don't really care about the rest of the cast, and while Land isn't necessarily a detriment to me, his humanoid and facial work is almost always ridiculous. I'm getting vibes from this similar to what I get from Paul Cornell and Alan Davis's Wolverine book: muzak in comic book form.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    The worst part is, if you cover the face, that page has some serious potential, I think that's the saddest part, is Land can actually draw things , just , chooses not to?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    The worst part is, if you cover the face, that page has some serious potential, I think that's the saddest part, is Land can actually draw things , just , chooses not to?

I think the sad part is that he just had so much more success with his current, heavily photo-traced style than his old Dodson-influenced work (I think the turning part was his time with Crossgen where Sojourn was outselling the rest of the titles.).

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Yeah. Consumer demand counts for a lot, and that's no surprise either.

I still wouldn't read that book anyway though.

• Options
    The more I think about it the less I really mind that he traces. I think it's super wack that he traces other people's work. That to me is a no no. But the fact that he photo traces I can sort of live with. I think it has to do with having actually tried to draw a comic. Those suckers are TIME CONSUMING. So I understand that some might want to find some hacks to speed the process up and those hacks just seem to be poser and tracing.

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind his tracing nearly as much if he traced well.

Monica.png

I mean, look at Monica's figure here. Her left shoulder appears to be dislocated, her neck is off-center of her torso, and he seems to have shaved off any semblance of hips. Not to mention the weird curve thing happening around her waist. I have no idea what's going on with that.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    There's also the face. What is with that face?

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    well her costume is riding up

• Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    It's really the tasteful hint of the cameltoe that does it for me there.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    God, now that you've pointed it out, that's some really fucked up anatomy. It's not Liefeld bad, but it's pretty bad.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Amigu wrote: »
    But the fact that he photo traces I can sort of live with. I think it has to do with having actually tried to draw a comic. Those suckers are TIME CONSUMING. So I understand that some might want to find some hacks to speed the process up and those hacks just seem to be poser and tracing.

1) It's their job
    2) It's cheating
    3) Artistic integrity

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    So I am re reading Hickman's F4 and I noticed something I hadn't prior to his Avengers.

One of the Reeds, who shows up in the first issue, is sporting the Starbrand insignia.

Obviously he wasn't planning his Avengers run at that point but clearly he has been interested in New Universe shit for a while.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind his tracing nearly as much if he traced well.

This is kind of it, for me.

Like, plenty of artists use photo-referencing, and that's only about six degrees away from tracing, depending on how much/how accurately you reference.

But, Land takes black characters and gives them white-people heads. His characters look inconsistent, because he so directly draws from different models. And his pages feel really really static, and oddly composed, due to the limitations of the way he's working.

It's a bummer too, because I think Land could do good work. He has some con sketches floating around, which are pretty solid. And he did some Thunderbolts covers, that seemed a cut above his usual work. I'd actually like to see his work colored in a flatter, more pop art style. I think that'd really do something to mitigate the weird, uncanny valley his work occupies.

Mike Deodato found a good photo-referencing sweet-spot, when he did Dark Avengers. The super-inky look hid the fact that he was using poser models. I think Land could find a similar middle-ground, but until then, he's very much a workingman artist. He churns out reliable work, on time, cashes a paycheck, and does it all over again.

It's not high art, but it's not meant to be.

• Options
    Munch wrote: »
    Mike Deodato found a good photo-referencing sweet-spot, when he did Dark Avengers. The super-inky look hid the fact that he was using poser models.

It didn't hide it very well. In fact it didn't hide it at all.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    So I am re reading Hickman's F4 and I noticed something I hadn't prior to his Avengers.

One of the Reeds, who shows up in the first issue, is sporting the Starbrand insignia.

Obviously he wasn't planning his Avengers run at that point but clearly he has been interested in New Universe shit for a while.

I thought he was a Quasar

the two have very similar looks

but yeah he could be

that would be cool

• Options
    Quasar's logo is a full circle; while the Star Brand logo is a partial circle, which is what that blue Reed has.

• Options
    Man I just don't feel A.I. Is getting enough love. The comic is GREAT. It's defs written and drawn by dudes who are fans of some good shit. I feel a lot of Japanese and French scifi coming through. The artist even homages Moebius.

I thought an American comic couldn't explore themes like artificial intelligence and the singularity very well but they're doing it really well.

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    Well it's only 2 issues in

I mean I am really enjoying it, particularly Vision and Hank Pym, but it isn't super high profile and still really early on.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I really like Young Avengers, but I really need less Billy/Hulkling and more Loki.

• Options
    Well, less Billy for sure.

• Options
    Billy's such a ... Cry baby

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    Less billy, more Hulkling and Noh-Var having space adventures

• Options
    Solar wrote: »

Sexy space adventures.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Well, less Billy for sure.

Teddy needs a special set of PSAs designed just for him. Instead of "it gets better", "you can do better."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    D E M I U R G E

• Options
    Solar wrote: »

Sexy space adventures.

"We're from space, and we're here to save you with the power of sexiness"

• Options
    Starfox?

• Options
    I said sexiness not rohypnol

• Options
    So Sentry says something about the Void in Uncanny Avengers that is very worrisome.
    The Void has left him and is now in The White Hot Room.

You know, where the Phoenix lives.

Fuck.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Maybe
    It was tricked into thinking that the room inside Cyclops ...

Oh ...

Oh ...

OOOHHHH!

D:

• Options
    Aw yeah return of the Sentry

let's do this, Remender!

• Options
    But there is no more Phoenix!

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Maybe
    It was tricked into thinking that the room inside Cyclops ...

Oh ...

Oh ...

OOOHHHH!

D:
    You're thinking of The Big Black Bug Room.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    But there is no more Phoenix!

I have a suspicion that this will play into next year's big event.