As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Those of us who are about to [Job Thread] salute you, bro!

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    So today we had our general meet & greet for all the education staff at the high school. And since it is the high school I went to a bunch of the teachers just started screaming at me when I showed up. Then a couple more started saying things akin to, "We are going to break you this year."

And after that I was invited to a small barbecue at the principal's home, which I just returned from! And it was awesome!

Biggest challenge thus far: Switching from calling a former teacher Mr./Mrs _____ to their first names.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Which, you know, is better than them dumbly clicking on it, but still

"If you aren't sure where it came from or it looks suspicious, delete it or mark it as spam"

No where in there does it say 'forward me your stupid Nigerian spam email"

Also writing stuff in Markdown and making pretty tables and then throwing them into emails makes me look super fancy to other people at work.

8-)

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    We use MS 365, and it does a pretty good job of sucking up spam so I don't have to deal with a whole lot.

oddly enough, the people that ask the most questions about spam are the mac users

they're scared of getting a virus

8->

I got a retroactive OK from my boss for picking up Office for Mac for my MBA on my company card.

"I wouldn't expect you to have to pay for that when you're primarily using it for work."

"I figured as much."

"Where'd you get it, I need a copy too."

Work bought the MBA for me last year as part of a negotiation to keep me from going elsewhere (elsewhere turned out to be a worse clusterfuck than where I'm at, so hooray) so from time to time I'll pick up work-related software for it. Sure, there are ways to get the same stuff done on a PC, but damn it it isn't easier on OSX in many cases.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Oh man, at lunch our students get to play music and one of them picked the Attack on Titan opening song. I need to find that kid and high five him. Also I should catch ujp on that show, I have fallen behind.

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »
    shows me for not reading emails from IT

apparently there is emergency server maintenance from 8PM CDT to 6AM CDT

which includes exchange server

and i was editing something to send to my boss, which i did, welllll before thing went down

then she was sposed to send it to client tonight after reviewing

but i do not think she did before e-mail went down.... which means she did not read the e-mail from IT either

ohhh well, i know she got it, nothing to be done, e-mail is down

No one reads emails from IT.

But they'll reply to the sender with a completely unrelated issue!

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Oh my God. Fuck my co-worker. Because he's too dumb to figure out how to do two things, I lost a short shift.

It's no real heart break. Sleeping in with my wife, since she has tomorrow off, is something I enjoy doing.

But, don't complicate my life because you're a dumb dumb.

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    Invisible wrote: »
    The only emails I get from IT are fake spam emails to see if I'll open them or put them in the network spam folder.
    w... what

Basically it's to remind us not fall for phishing scams. If we were to click on a link it would bring us to an "education" page and it would flag our department. So they periodically send emails that look legit asking us to click on some unknown link, but we're supposed to drop the email into the network spam folder to acknowledge that we aren't complete morons (and also real spam, but I've received less actual spam than fake spam).

• HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    I have likely attained the required promotion to decide whether or not to apprehend shoplifters today. Your freedom is in my hands! That's terrifying!

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    A bunch of IT folk started up a professional IT user group thing in town. First meeting was tonight. Half of the people that showed up either currently do or recently did work for my current company. It was pretty nice to be able to catch up on stuff with them. Most of it boiled down to "and they have us doing x thing " or "and then y said this thing. and it shows how absolutely ridiculously unqualified they are to be making 4x my salary" and was met with laughter and other stories.

There are so many people out there doing so many dumb things. And the world keeps on worldin'

• RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    So, the boss wants something done. He orders the guy below him. That guy proceeds to make stupid and dangerous decisions. Fortunately(?) the guy who's in charge of safety and not-making-stupid-decisions stops the whole thing just before someone gets killed. Some day this won't be the case and everything will go to shit.

• PixelMonkeyPixelMonkey Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Almost two mnoths being unemployed, fill looking at starter positions requiring 3 years experience.

PixelMonkey on
  • AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    I remembered my college career center has an online database thingy for searching local job opportunities so I took a look

Unpaid internship - "design curriculum. Conduct research. Create and distribute promotional material. Plan and implement program activities."

Unpaid internship - "Provides coordination and support for all event logistics, with focus on performers, restaurants, auction donors, corporate sponsorships"

Unpaid internship - "schedule meetings, update database, research, monitor website, coordinate member mailings"

Unpaid internship - "develop and implement marketing initiatives, plan meetings"

Unpaid internship - "Draft procedures for the processing of licensing applications from mortgage lenders"

what the FUCK do actual employees get up to in these organizations if that is the unpaid 15 hours a week work???

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    Unpaid internship- come and to all the tedious but necessary bullshit none of us want to do

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Almost two mnoths being unemployed, fill looking at starter positions requiring 3 years experience.

Apply anyways if you aren't already. "3 years experience" is the new are you a carbon-based lifeform?

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Unpaid internship - come help build our growing country's agricultural system, relocation and housing offered.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    A little over 2 years ago I walked away from what should have been the best job I ever had. I started as a manager-in-training for a multi-state medical practice, working toward opening a new branch of the practice. I ended up impressing the right people during my months of training to the point that the manager of the headquarters branch in my hometown was forced out and I was given his job. There were about 55 employees under me, with around 20 direct reports and 4 lower level managers supervising the rest. Best salary I ever had, and the responsibilities look great on a resume.

When I moved from training to actually managing though, I became acutely aware of many legal and ethical concerns. Mostly related to Medicare fraud initially, in the realm of upcoding, and I wrestled with my feelings about things for a while. Then the CEO of the company started demanding that I make the physicians reporting to me order more tests on their patients. Specifically ultrasounds that would be performed by technicians from another company he owned. So, two giant no-nos there. As an incentive, physicians got bonus pay each month that would increase based on the value of the tests they were ordering. Strike 3.

Much more shadiness abounded. It was also interesting to note that while our CEO did almost everything over email, and insisted on daily written reports via email each evening that he would respond to in detail by the following morning, whenever he wanted something like for me to force the doctors to order more tests, well, somehow that was never relayed to me in writing.

Things just sort of spiraled as I was exposed to more and more and spent more and more time educating myself about relevant laws and regulations, and it got to a point where I walked away because the money and position weren't worth the lost sleep, guilty conscience and increasingly frequent vomiting bouts in the shower. Also not worth the prospect of going to prison. Any time I tried to discuss anything I had concerns about it was completely shut down and the CEO would turn into a raging asshole until I backed down and/or feigned loss of interest.

When I left I passed some information on to Medicare but didn't honestly expect it to go anywhere. It turns out I wasn't the only former employee to do so. Heck, even some current employees made some calls apparently. How do I know that? The CEO and the sleaziest physician there were both arrested 2 days ago by the FBI. The CEO faces up to 10 years in prison, a $250,000 fine and restitution of the $4.5 million he paid himself over the period of time Medicare and FBI auditors investigated. It's in all the local papers and there's a lengthy press release on the FBI website.

Karma's a bitch.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I thought the US had recently clamped down on unpaid jobs?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    jesus. i'm reading up on that fbi sting. how do people like that exist. what made them that way

• BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Corporate culture rewarding the biggest asshole in the room.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    jesus. i'm reading up on that fbi sting. how do people like that exist. what made them that way

When I started reading up more on certain things I found out that while the official history of the company said the CEO was the founder and he had started the practice straight out of college, the reality was that the practice had been started a years earlier by his father. It was shut down by the FBI in the 90s and his father fled the country just before the end of a lengthy trial that found him guilty of similar charges. His dad never came back to the US. Later I discovered that his dad was listed as the 99% owner of the current company, presumably to try to shield my CEO if something like this happened.

Oh, the country his dad fled to? Nigeria.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    We had our mandatory staff meeting tonight.

It was the biggest waste of time and useless free food.

No really.

When you tell your staff that there's going to be a buffet dinner, that conjures up a certain type of meal in the majority of minds. A few canapes passed around and lots of cheese and wine do not a buffet make.

And the rest was basically the normal "we need to get bigger! We need to be more agile and grow more! This means we of course have to fire people so that we can save money" And then a bunch of numbers on a screen that only make sense to about 5 people in the whole company.

Seriously, if they want to save money, they shouldn't bother with this stuff. Just buy us all pizza. I mean, if you're going to bribe us with food, make it worth our while.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Invisible wrote: »
    HR serves a valuable role in every organization and as soon as I find out what it is, I'll let you know.

Securing very good salaries for people in the HR trade.

Yeeeep.

So, so many useful things I've sent to our CS Dept

"Oh hey, while I was working on another thing, I found a great way to notify you when an order that was placed on credit hold, had the hold removed, but hadn't yet been printed, to make sure you print it so it can go out to the warehouse to be picked and shipped, here's some detailed instructions on how to set it up and also I already made custom ones for each of you CS guys so it's literally just a few mouse clicks"

*one week later*

"WE HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ORDERS BEING TAKEN OFF CREDIT HOLD AND NOT BEING PRINTED"

:?

CS only care about today's problems, not about stuff that might or might not happen in a week.

Unpaid internship - come help build our growing country's agricultural system, relocation and housing offered.

And free childcare!

• Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Is it cool to post links to job listings here? There are a couple of openings in my company that may of interest, and I figured it's safer to ask permission then beg forgiveness.
    I'm not the person hiring or interviewing, so I can't really do more then point in the general direction of HR's inbox and ask for resumes.

You could probably post the job title and where the job is located and if anyone is interested they can PM you for specifics.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

When I started reading up more on certain things I found out that while the official history of the company said the CEO was the founder and he had started the practice straight out of college, the reality was that the practice had been started a years earlier by his father. It was shut down by the FBI in the 90s and his father fled the country just before the end of a lengthy trial that found him guilty of similar charges. His dad never came back to the US. Later I discovered that his dad was listed as the 99% owner of the current company, presumably to try to shield my CEO if something like this happened.

This story is completely crazy, first of all, and you obviously did a good thing by bailing

But I am going to say that throwing Nigeria into the mix isn't really here or there

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    So my wife got offered the job she was substituting for someone on sick leave who died. So now she gets a 2 years contract instead of 6 months.
    Also my contract was changed to perpetual this week.

Now to go on making children and piss off our employers with parental leave.

V1m wrote: »
    Yeeeep.

So, so many useful things I've sent to our CS Dept

"Oh hey, while I was working on another thing, I found a great way to notify you when an order that was placed on credit hold, had the hold removed, but hadn't yet been printed, to make sure you print it so it can go out to the warehouse to be picked and shipped, here's some detailed instructions on how to set it up and also I already made custom ones for each of you CS guys so it's literally just a few mouse clicks"

*one week later*

"WE HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ORDERS BEING TAKEN OFF CREDIT HOLD AND NOT BEING PRINTED"

:?

CS only care about today's problems, not about stuff that might or might not happen in a week.

This, so very, very hard.

Their manager doesn't give a shit about anything that isn't right in front of his face. It would be totally impossible to save an order, move on to something else, then come back to the first order when you got information back from a customer or another department on lead times or whatever. Order stays up on the screen until it's "done" then it has to be printed on the spot, otherwise it will never be printed.

I tried to teach them that they could crank out a handful of orders, then print out a whole batch at once and it would be more efficient, but noooooo.

• MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

This story is completely crazy, first of all, and you obviously did a good thing by bailing

But I am going to say that throwing Nigeria into the mix isn't really here or there

It's not really, but it would be somehow unsurprising if scammy doctor's dad is now supporting himself with 419 scams.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Do you guys use SOPs? I'm not sure what other places call them. Basically just a word document that details all the steps you need to follow to do whatever thing it is that you are trying to do.
    Someone on the team has been tasked with writing a huge in-depth one for our processes regarding reimaging machines out in the field so that they don't need to be sent back to our warehouse to have it done. Super helpful for machines that just have an old OS and need an upgrade, or really anything that isn't a hardware failure.

Anyway, this document is probably like 15-20 pages of steps to follow and screenshots and whatnot so whatever field tech is using it shouldn't be able to fuck it up, provided they can read.
    We just got an email forwarded to us from a guy on another team where HIS manager told him to get a preliminary copy of said walkthrough, add like two steps, and just publish it as his own work.

The guy on our team is understandably pissed off that he's been spending all this time working on this and some other guy is gonna add a few bullet points and take all the credit for it.

In news that is more relatable to everyone, I saw SIX people at the coffee bar this morning all chatting and such together. They all took some coffee from the pot and emptied it. Not one of those motherfuckers started another pot brewing. At 7 AM that sort of shit should be a punishable offense. TESTICULAR IMPLOSION or something.

Erin The Red on
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Man, some really bad work stories these past couple days. You'd think we all work with or for the dumbest people alive.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Do you guys use SOPs? I'm not sure what other places call them. Basically just a word document that details all the steps you need to follow to do whatever thing it is that you are trying to do.
    Someone on the team has been tasked with writing a huge in-depth one for our processes regarding reimaging machines out in the field so that they don't need to be sent back to our warehouse to have it done. Super helpful for machines that just have an old OS and need an upgrade, or really anything that isn't a hardware failure.

Anyway, this document is probably like 15-20 pages of steps to follow and screenshots and whatnot so whatever field tech is using it shouldn't be able to fuck it up, provided they can read.
    We just got an email forwarded to us from a guy on another team where HIS manager told him to get a preliminary copy of said walkthrough, add like two steps, and just publish it as his own work.

The guy on our team is understandably pissed off that he's been spending all this time working on this and some other guy is gonna add a few bullet points and take all the credit for it.

In news that is more relatable to everyone, I saw SIX people at the coffee bar this morning all chatting and such together. They all took some coffee from the pot and emptied it. Not one of those motherfuckers started another pot brewing. At 7 AM that sort of shit should be a punishable offense. TESTICULAR IMPLOSION or something.

At the last place I worked, the contract I was working on got taken over by another contractor, and the new company hired me away.

When I gave my two weeks, my employer asked me to write an SOP so they knew how the process worked. Even though they were no longer working on it, and had never cared before.

I politely declined.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Not that I know of.

• GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer AAAAAUGH!! Registered User regular
    I just trained someone to bake today. She is super cool and she did really well. A few kinks need to be ironed out, but she will go far in this company.

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    I'm currently overseeing a migration from C# to Java

I've stared into the abyss, and it has stared into me

neither blinked

easysig2.jpg
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Not that I know of.

Somebody made a big stink about unpaid jobs but nobody's actually done anything

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    I'm currently overseeing a migration from C# to Java

I've stared into the abyss, and it has stared into me

neither blinked

you may be the first company in recorded history to go in that direction

This discussion has been closed.