As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Geek Wedding at PAX East 2014

WonderboyWonderboy Registered User new member
edited August 2013 in PAX East
Hey all,

So, my fiance and I met in person for the first time at PAX East 2011. We originally "met" via our mutual connection to a blog and podcast called "A Casual Stroll to Mordor" (since renamed to "A Casual Stroll through MMOs" to account for the fact that they no longer focus just on Lord of the Rings Online) where we were both writers and occasional guests on the Podcast.

After meeting in person at PAX we then shortly moved in together (the ultimate test of whether two people can stand to be with each other) and things were, are, and continue to be wonderful. We share in our love of gaming which spans across virtually all types and genres of gaming. The only real arguments we get into involve things like who has the pointiest ears (which apparently decides who goes first in one of our tabletop games - I forget which at the moment).

I was proposed to at the end of one of CSTM's podcasts (which, as it turned out, was the whole reason I was on that episode to begin with, though they did well at making believe it was something else entirely). That episode, if you're interested is here: http://cstm.mymiddleearth.com/2012/06/episode147/

Since everything about us and our relationship has been very Geek (and no doubt will continue to be) and PAX East was a big step in the whole process, we want to make PAX East 2014 even more special. We intend to get married there. In all likelihood it'll just be a small gathering in a random corridor amidst the glorious chaos that is PAX, but any of our 50,000+ geek friends that we haven't met yet that will be there would be welcome to come watch, take part and revel in the glory of geek love (also if you've got any neat ideas, we'd love to hear them).

It seems that this will be fairly unique, google hasn't revealed much if anything about things like this happening before which surprises me.... I really would have thought that one of the cons by now would've taken a page out of "The Simpsons'" book and had a regular event called "My Big Phat Geek Wedding".

zerzhul on

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    That's cool and all, but you will need to contact PAX directly in order to have an event like that (even if small) inside the convention center that they've rented for the week. I think that the reason why something like this hasn't happened yet is because it's not logistically feasible.

• FruhmannFruhmann Registered User regular
    invite me. i'm a one man party machine

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    i do remember this coming up before, people requesting to have some kind of official ok for a wedding/proposal at PAX. i believe the usual response is "that's cool, but no" because it is actually not an uncommon request and accommodating everyone would be, as zerzhul has already said, not logically feasible. and if in the corridor, a possible fire hazard.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • ShrefShref Registered User regular
    would it not be possible to use a part of the queue room for it, as most of it is unused during the day? just my 2 cents.

• Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Maybe request a small conference room as a panel? Probably a long shot but that is my idea.

This space for rent
  • mayapplemayapple TennesseeRegistered User regular
    As long as everyone involved has passes, actually doing it shouldn't be a problem. It's when you start gathering a crowd that things get fishy. Cos-players and vendors cause back-ups all the time though, would just have to be quick about it. My thoughts are to contact a vendor maybe {a sponsor even}, or a local restaurant/hotel. The lobby of the Westin? The place they do games in front of the walkover would be nice.

e6txb8m8cavf.png

• ShrefShref Registered User regular
    regardless, make sure you contact penny arcade staff before attempting it. if need be, you may be able to just do it outside of the building somewhere.

• TrandescentTrandescent Registered User regular
    mayapple wrote: »
    As long as everyone involved has passes, actually doing it shouldn't be a problem. It's when you start gathering a crowd that things get fishy. Cos-players and vendors cause back-ups all the time though, would just have to be quick about it. My thoughts are to contact a vendor maybe {a sponsor even}, or a local restaurant/hotel. The lobby of the Westin? The place they do games in front of the walkover would be nice.
    This is actually a pretty good idea. I see a vendor picking this up pretty easy.

8elUgf9.png

PAX East 2018 4-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass [X] Hotel Reservation [X]

See y'all at PAX East 2018!
  • GreenizdabestGreenizdabest Southeast CT - USARegistered User regular
    I'd say your first shot at this would be to wait until a week after Pax Prime, then email Robert Khoo about it to test the waters.

• ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    Congrats! My fiance and myself have a similar story - we started dating at the first PAX East, and last year he proposed to me on PAX weekend! So the con is unofficially our anniversary, no matter what date it happens to fall on.

Hope you find a way to make your wedding super special! :)

UyhWici.png
  • imdowd80imdowd80 Registered User regular
    so it looks like love will be in the air at PAX 2014, as i plan on proposing to my girlfriend there this year. Hopefully ill be able to do it during the Penny Arcade Q&A

• TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    imdowd80 wrote: »
    so it looks like love will be in the air at PAX 2014, as i plan on proposing to my girlfriend there this year. Hopefully ill be able to do it during the Penny Arcade Q&A
    As someone who has had their question denied because of time restraints during the Q&A, I humbly request that you NOT do this.
    - Thanks, from everyone who actually has a question.

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular

Do not do this. Do not propose to your girlfriend in a way that makes it difficult and extremely uncomfortable for her to say no.

brDe918.jpg
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited September 2013

I don't want to come off as too harsh, but asking the most important question ever in front of a huge crowd of people for maximum squirm factor? Make sure she doesn't have a miniature guitar handy to hit you with.

Nosf on
  • chlsebrzchlsebrz Registered User regular
    We tied the knot at PAX Prime this year, http://www.nerdist.com/2013/09/pax-a-wedding-against-humanity/. It was fun, but be prepared for a lot of attention. I am okay with it, but it was overwhelming at times.

• chlsebrzchlsebrz Registered User regular
    Also, two enforcers got married at 7am the same day in one of the theater rooms, you can find a picture of it on Twitter.

• aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    FLASHMOB wedding anyone lol

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular
    Two people got engaged and pronounced by Jerry at Prime Q&A this year.

You should ask for a panel, though. They always say if you want to see something you should ask. That'd be way cool and you'd get a huge response I'm sure.

3DS: 3325-2059-2105
  • Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Two people got engaged and pronounced by Jerry at Prime Q&A this year.

You should ask for a panel, though. They always say if you want to see something you should ask. That'd be way cool and you'd get a huge response I'm sure.

I'd go to that panel.

This space for rent
  • FriendOfAnimalsFriendOfAnimals Registered User regular

I'll echo the others - please don't do this. I wish you all the best... but none of us know you or your fiancé - and are there for Mike & Jerry. Also, that can be pretty awkward for your fiancé, as others said.

• EhefkaeEhefkae Registered User regular
    I'm Wonderboy's fiance. Thanks to some of the suggestions earlier in the thread, I decided to contact Turbine (the developer for Lord of the Rings Online, the game where we first met) and ask if we can have our wedding in their booth at PAX. It's still up in the air as to whether they (or their parent company WB Games) will be having a booth in the first place, but it looks like if they do, we'll be able to get married there. :D

• DelaneyDelaney Registered User regular
    Congrats to both you and Wonderboy, Ehefkae! I do hope that something works out so you can get married at PAX as you wish. As both a fellow gamer/PAX-goer and LotRO player, it would be fun to witness. :)

"I will participate in the game. It's a wonderful, wonderful opera, except that it hurts." - Joseph Campbell

Steam: delaney_a

• jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    I think the Turbine idea is a really good one. But I second Ehefkae in saying don't do anything that will interrupt any panels or events. That's just asking for trouble. I do envy you both and give congratulations. OMG, I would have died to have my wedding at PAX (my husband, not so much :) Hey, who knows, maybe in the future there would be a panel just for weddings of gamers at PAX!!!! OK, that may or may not be a good idea, but it's definitely a cool one.

• macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    If you're dead set on it, contact one of the hotels and see if you can book a small conference room. Invite people you know from PAX. But yeah...don't do a wedding with a bunch of strangers...

• teriwynteriwyn Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    I met my husband in an MMO 13 years ago, so from one gaming couple to another, I wish you both a hearty CONGRATULATIONS from a complete stranger. I hope you find a way to have the wedding you're aiming for without running afoul of any rules. Even if you can't be married at PAX for whatever reason, I wish you both a long and happy life together.