As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Arinya's Sketch of the Day

arinyaarinya Registered User regular
edited August 2013 in Artist's Corner
Hello. I've been stalking this forum for awhile. Particularly the Artist Corner and now I'd like to contribute. My wife bought me a sketch journal to help revive my love for drawing. I also have an old comic book project I'd love to release digitally so time in the future. The sketch journal has helped alot! Anyway, I'd like to post my sketches and get some feedback so I can get better. I'm already on day 94 as of yesterday and the theme for this week was Grimm Fairytales. If you have ideas for themes lemme know too! Hear's yesterday's sketch. I'll post today's sketch later today once it's done.

08/08 - Sketch #94

Hansel and Gretel was one of the most disturbing kid's stories I read growing up. With all the candy and cannibilism in it. It was just weird that those two things would be acceptable bed time reading material. Stranger danger I guess is the moral of the story...even if they offer you candy. Especially if they are offering you candy. Must of been screwed up growing up in the 17th century.

3227453-hansel_gretel.jpg

Here are the other sketches from this week.

08/05 - Sketch #91
3221344-frog.jpg

08/06 - Sketch #92
3223764-snowwhite.jpg

08/07 - Sketch #93
3225996-hood.jpg

arinya on

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Dat toad. :^:

• arinyaarinya Registered User regular
    08/09 - Sketch #95

Godfather Death
    is an interesting story about a man who gets Death to be his son's Godfather cuz that seemed like a good idea. So his son now has the ability to tell if a person will die or not. When he visits an ill person if Death is standing over their head they will be fine but if the Death is standing at the foot of the bed it's curtains. This ability makes him a famous physicianWell the son ends up tricking Death into letting a king and his daughter live and of course Death punishes the son for treachery by extinguishing his life early. Can't fool Death! Well at least more than once.

3229352-death.jpg

Thanks m3nace!

edited August 2013
    08/12 - Sketch #96

This week's theme is Dumbest Pokemon. I'm a grown man but every time Nintendo puts out a new Pokemon game I have the unstoppable fury to freakin catch them all! But man are there some dumb looking Pokemon. I guess the designers get bored and squeeze out a turd of a design...either that or they are geniuses that I will never comprehend. Anyway I give you evidence of dumbness with Bidoof. Not only does it have a dumb name but it looks so retarded! He's basically asking to get his dumb fuzzy butt kicked! If you have a dumb Pokemon you want me to draw lemme know. Don't act like you've never played the game before either! =D

3235809-bidoof.jpg

arinya on
    08/13 - Sketch #97

Behold Magikarp! Über gamers know that he is actually a very good Pokemon to train if you are willing to endure the hard ships but realistically he's a pretty dumb Pokemon. Just one look at him flailing and well you wanna grow him back every time. Lemme know if there is dumb Pokemon you want me to sketch this week.

3238324-magikarp.jpg

edited August 2013
    08/14 - Sketch #98

Pokemon is set in a world filled with giant dragon likes and cut furry creatures. So it boggles my mind trying to understand why a Pokemon like Jynx exists. What the heck is that?!?!? Oh Japan...we think we know you but then you always do something to make us all think...wtf?!?!

3240736-jynx.jpg

arinya on
    08/15 - Sketch #99

Today's dumb Pokemon is Mr. Mime. This character makes sense but why Nintendo...why?

3243815-mime.jpg

• HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    Just want to say I like these and you should continue doing them.

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
    08/16 - Sketch #100!!!!

I've reached sketch 100 in my One Sketch a Day journal! In celebration of this joyous occasion I give you two dumb Pokemons partying like Pokemon do. First Ludicolo who is a retard duck wearing a sombrero and poncho. Next to him is Bibarel, Bidoof's evolution. Yes Bidoof was so dumb even evolution could not save him. Woot! Sketch 100!!!! 256 more to go!

3245367-100.jpg

@Heartlash
    Thanks for the encouragement. This forum is alot quieter than I expected. Thanks again!

No problem. It could be because this forum tends to focus heavily on constructive criticism. Given that these are sketches, and GOOD sketches at that, it may simply be that people don't have too much to say. Either way, keep it up.

Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • sampangolinsampangolin Registered User regular
    Agreed keep it up! I like the commentary too : )

08/19 - Sketch #101

This week I'll be drawing villains from Batman's rogue gallery. Today we have Mr. Freeze. Poor Freeze. The loneliest mad scientist in Gotham. I do wonder if he prefers a warm or cold treat on those lonely nights in Arkham. Got 4 more spots. Which villain should I draw tomorrow?

3251610-freeze.jpg

@sampangolin
    Thanks for the words of encouragement!

08/20 - Sketch #102

The Penguin
    was always a classy looking character so I was abit dissapointed how ugly and nasty them made him look in Batman Returns but I get why they did it. I did really enjoy Danny Devito's performance though. Anyone else feel that way?

3254161-penguin.jpg

My first interpretation of that image was not of a foreshortened umbrella, but of a shoulder. It looks a bit like he's standing with his arms at his sides and you've got a steam-punk decoration on his deltoid. I'm not sure how this might be remedied, but it may have to do with the angle of the arm, the size of the umbrella, and the nature of the sketch (no color, etc).

@Heartlash
    Yeah, I tried thickening up the umbrella's outline. Try to keep the under 30-40 minutes. I should of probably draw the whole thing much bigger. Exaggerate the perspective. Thanks!

• lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    The perspective of Penguin holding an umbrella toward the viewer would make the umbrella seem larger than normal compared to him, not smaller. In that drawing he would have to be holding a little toy parasol at the viewer, like
    cocktail-umbrellas-luau-party-ideas.jpg.

Don't forget that for basic reference you can always pose in the mirror!

It's a closed umbrella, not open.

• lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Well that makes way more sense then! In order for it to look more like a closed umbrella instead of a tiny open umbrella, the lines following the folds would be spiraling out from the center (because it's all twisted up). You could also draw some of the flared out material at the base where he would be holding it. You can design your line work to make it as easy for you to get the clear idea across as possible.

PS, nice drawing of the face!

lyrium on
    edited August 2013
    08/21 - Sketch #103

Catwoman
    has changed so much and become a major character and kinda of a hero now and not so much a villain? If you studied the characters evolution I think you'd find a peek into society at that moment in time. What artist started giving her the goggles? It's my favorite and I guess it's now the current version of Catwoman?

3256493-catwoman.jpg

arinya on
    08/22 - Sketch #104

So Two Face was alot of fun to draw. All those jagged edges, scares and cracks are fun to draw. I wonder how he keeps his teeth so clean? Is all the flossing? Who's his dentist? I wanna make an appointment!

3259506-twoface.jpg

@lyrium
    I imagine that type of umbrella does not close like that but yeah the twist details would of been an easy thing to add. Thanks!

The proportions of his skull seem a bit off, in particular the distance from his eyes to his mouth versus his cranium (eyebrows up). The latter feels a bit small.

The rendering and individual details are all great though.

@Heartlash
    The right eye socket needed to be more the right? I dunno if it's off or it's just weird because half his face is missing. LOL. But it does look off.

08/23 - Sketch #105

Bane!
    Tomy Hardy had this crazy look in his eyes that really made his character memorable but then I felt like he kinda fizzled out towards the end of the movie. I would actually like to see a movie just about Bane. Did you know he had a little teddy bear when he was little kid that was his only friend. Turns out he would keep a knife in it! Quite a character!

3261905-bane.jpg

08/26 - Sketch #106

This weeks theme is Duck Tales! I used watch this show religiously and I read awhile back they were remastering the game. Maybe I'll have time to check it out. Anyway, Duckworth was Scrooge McDuck's butler but I don't remember if they every revealed his first name. Did he have one? You have a favorite character? Lemme know and I'll see if I draw it this week.

3268013-duckworth.jpg

• SpaceMooseSpaceMoose Registered User regular
    Launchpad McQuack better be on your list, and probably Gizmoduck. ;) Great stuff in here!

edited August 2013
    08/27 - Sketch #107

Bankjob
    was my favorite from the Beagle Boys gang. While the other members looked all dopey he looked liked a real prison thug. I also liked his name. Did you know Peter Cullen did his voice on the show? For those of you who don't know he also did the voice of Optimus Prime on Transformers!

3272032-bankjob.jpg

@SpaceMoose
    Sorry. I already did a sketch of ol' Launchpad back in June during my 80s Cartoons Theme! But Here's the sketch anyway! He was one of my favorite characters of the show. I always wished they didn't make him such an air head. Pun intended. I am seriously considering Gizmoduck though. We'll see.

3093251-launchpadmcquack.jpg

arinya on
    Love it! Lauchpad was always kind of a doof but he usually came through in the end as I recall.

• SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    Nice stuff in here! I've been thinking about getting my ass in gear and doing something similar. You may have just been the catalyst! (only time will tell.)

• nocuddletimenocuddletime Registered User regular
    Baaaaane! nice work.

93acff97bUk2g.gif
    08/28 - Sketch #108

I thought GizmoDuck was the coolest when I was little. I don't remember why Fenton Crackshell kept using the suit but do you guys remember the password to activate the suit?

3274751-gizmoduck.jpg

@SpaceMoose
    Yeah, you kinda could count on Launchpad.

@Sublimus
    Do it!

@nocuddletime
    Thanks!

08/29 - Sketch #109

Uncle Scrooge
    was the absolute start of the show. He was always smarter than the rest. And how many of you dreamt at least once about swimming in his Money Bin?

3276811-mcduck.jpg

These are just awesome! I remember this show so fondly, too bad when I watched them on Netflix it didn't hold up to my memory. But I still love it, plus the game was awesome.

Keep up the good work!

@SpaceMoose
    Yeah I'm actually thinking about getting the game. I don't think I ever was able to finish it when it first came off.

edited September 2013
    09/02 - Sketch #110

Hayao Miyazaki
    is retiring from Studio Ghibli so this week I'm going to visit some of the studio's great stories and I'm starting with the incredibly sad yet powerful war story Grave of the Fireflies. When you think of anime you think giant robots, samurais and alot of yelling. Well this anime has none of that but it moved me and made me depressed after I watched it. This was the first cartoon I cried watching. Lion King and Up are the other two. Too much information? Sorry. Go watch this anime. What's your favorite Miyazaki or Ghibli film?

3286071-grave.jpg

arinya on
    Watched Princess Mononoke last night! Great film. Not watched Grave of the Fireflies yet, but it's on my list.

09/03 - Sketch #111

At the time, Castle of Cagliostro was the funnest anime I had seen. It was Miyzaki's debut as a director and you can already see his signature style. Great art detail like in the car chase scene as their car starts to fall apart. It's so much fun to watch them destroy their poor car. Then of course what we've all grown to love is how Miyazaki brings his character to life with great characters details that make you understand why they are the way they are. If you haven't seen Castle of Cagliostro check it out!

3287232-lupin.jpg

@sampangolin
    Oh yeah! Princess Mononoke is the best. Got me back into anime at the time.

09/04 - Sketch #112

There are so many incredible characters in Miyazaki's Spirited Away it's hard to chose what to sketch. But Yubaba is probably the most memorable character, not only in this film but in all of the anime genre.

3289747-yubaba.jpg

• conaltdeleteconaltdelete Registered User regular
    m3nace wrote: »
    Dat toad. :^:

+1

Staff for Con Alt Delete in Chicago. Cosplaying as The Major from Hellsing. Come!
    (I'm excited to see Vic Mignogna also.)
    09/05 - Sketch #113

For my Princess Mononoke is the pinnacle of Miyazaki's work artistically and story wise. I was so enthralled from the beginning and to the very end. The world that Miyazaki creates is so rich and majestic you feel like you are in that world.

3291779-mononoke.jpg

@conaltdelete
    LOL...thanks!

09/06 - Sketch #114

So your watching My Neighbor Totoro and you think Miyazaki couldn't pack anything bigger or cuter than Totoro in the movie and then he gives us Catbus! When he showed up I wanted to stop the movie and begin my search for a Catbus. How can we make this possible?!?!?!? I wanna ride a Catbus!!!!!

3294206-catbus.jpg

• Adam CasalinoAdam Casalino New York (in my heart)Registered User regular
    I really liked the Magicarp sketch. I'd like to see some of your finished work. Do you ink or color your stuff? Definitely start working on that comic or put it online for us to appreciate. Thanks for sharing.