As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Getting Involved in Open Source Development

SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
I have some free time on my hands and heard that a way to get real world programming experience is on an open-source project. I really don't know where to start on this though; how to choose a project that's at my skill level, that sort of stuff. I thought I had a good grasp of C/C++, but I had so much trouble trying to parse code/documentation that wasn't my own that any time I needed to make use of others' work in university it turned out to be a disaster. Any tips on where to start?

Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

SkyEye on

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    SkyEye wrote: »
    I have some free time on my hands and heard that a way to get real world programming experience is on an open-source project. I really don't know where to start on this though; how to choose a project that's at my skill level, that sort of stuff. I thought I had a good grasp of C/C++, but I had so much trouble trying to parse code/documentation that wasn't my own that any time I needed to make use of others' work in university it turned out to be a disaster. Any tips on where to start?

Find something you actually want to improve in a small way, ideally with something on GitHub (super-easy to submit patches by pull requests) and just start hacking.

NodeJS projects are actually pretty easy to get into, and there's currently a lot of Javascript help out there (and a decent whack of demand for web programmers).

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I think a lot of Linux Distros have bug repositories that you can look into fixing stuff that way if you want to get your feet wet.

• Options
    SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    Thanks guys. I've been looking into sourceforge since a lot of the open source software I'm currently using comes from there, but I'll start here.

Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    SkyEye wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I've been looking into sourceforge since a lot of the open source software I'm currently using comes from there, but I'll start here.

Urgh, Sourceforge is terrible.

Search for stuff on GitHub which is doing commits/merges via Github. It's the easiest workflow I've found, and people are way more on the ball about merging things on Github then any other source I've found.