As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Selling a broken BC PS3 without compromising my account security

darqnessdarqness KCMORegistered User regular
So I currently have a RROD Xbox 360 Falcon and a fat BC PS3 with the yellow/orange light of death. I've since gotten a new 360 and a new slim PS3, so the other two consoles are collecting dust in the office. The 360 still boots up after doing the fix--it just won't play videogames, but will run video, Netflix etc, so I should be able to wipe it completely. However since the PS3 is pretty much un-accessible in terms of wiping it, will changing my PSN password via internet protect me from anyone accessing my information for the most part? Of course I know they'll have access to my saved games and anything I've downloaded which doesn't worry me. I just don't want anyone being able to purchase anything on my account.

Or should I just take a giant magnet to the thing before I sell it?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    You're actually in luck. The PS3 uses a non-proprietary 2.5” internal Serial ATA HDD, which means that, assuming you have the means to connect such a hard drive to your computer, you could take it out of the PS3 and wipe it that way.

A quick google search revealed instructions on Sony's website showing how to remove the hard drive in order to upgrade it, but it shows how to take it out/put it back in, which is what you need to know.

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus is spot on.
    However just changing your PSN password using the new PS3 should take care of the account security just as well so it is only a question of perhaps having more personal stuff on it like photos and such. Also consider if friends may have an account on the PS3 that could be in jeopardy.
    In other words do like DarkPrimus suggests if possible else thing real hard about whats on the machine and if in doubt sell it without the drive - anyone ready to buy it in it's condition is likely also able to handle that aspect.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Putting your old hard drive into the new PS3 will wipe it automatically, so you don't have to install it in a computer to wipe it if you don't want any of the data from it.

Also, make sure and contact Sony and see what you can do about getting the broken PS3 removed from your PSN account, since it's still going to be taking up one of your PSN license slots.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    doesnt the ps3 have a built in reformatter application?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Also, make sure and contact Sony and see what you can do about getting the broken PS3 removed from your PSN account, since it's still going to be taking up one of your PSN license slots.

Is it possible to remove the registration via the PSN website? I know it's not that difficult to do for a Xbox 360, but of course that's a completely different company.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Is it possible to remove the registration via the PSN website? I know it's not that difficult to do for a Xbox 360, but of course that's a completely different company.

You can deactivate all systems from your PSN account from a PC once every six months, but if you want to deactivate a specific system only and you are unable to power it on than you'll have to call their consumer service number ( 800.345.SONY ) to get them to do it. You can log in to your Sony Entertainment Network account here to get a visual list of all of the devices currently activated on your account.

It's kinda complicated, but their rules are in place to try and combat game sharing (with MS it's a little different since games you buy from XBL are playable on a maximum of two systems, the original one that purchased the game and whichever system your Live account it currently signed on with vs. Sony's original plan that was a maximum of five systems). Sucks ass when you have to deactivate a broken system, though.

• Options
    darqnessdarqness KCMORegistered User regular
    Thanks for the tips all. It looks like I can de-activate devices from the PSN site.
    I'd like to keep the warranty sticker on the system since I would think that makes it worth more as a YLOD system (right?).

I feel secure in just changing my PSN password and de-activating the device.

• Options
    darqness wrote: »
    I'd like to keep the warranty sticker on the system since I would think that makes it worth more as a YLOD system (right?).

If anything it shows that some doofus hasn't opened it up and screwed around while trying to "fix" it. It'll make it more alluring to the system repair/flippers you'll probably be selling to if you plan on listing it on craigslist.