As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm shocked, shocked to find that [Movies] are going on in here!

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    I'd buy it if they were all established to be friendless orphans, but they weren't.

Ending Cabin spoilers:
    Morally, it's a tough situation. Keeping humanity alive by killing dozens of innocent KIDS every single year, forever? And it's not as if the people doing it are punished, they're basically pensioners. Marty isn't entirely wrong that humanity as a species is a sort of malformed entity in that situation.

see that is where that interpretation loses me....
    kill 6 kids a year to ensure that billions keep on living? nevermind the mouthbreathers and the really evil guys and those that live in absolute horror. that sounds like a good deal to me. millions of caring fathers and mothers. thousands who try to make the world a better place. and just plain decent folk.

I've killed 6 dumb college jocks for less!

erm, I've said too much....

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Its actually a lot more then
    Six but I don't think it matters to much since whether I agree with them I can certainly imagine that there are people in the world who think that any society that mercilessly murders even one person regularly to survive maybe doesn't deserve to keep going. Also I again would like to point out that Marty clearly didn't believe that the world would be without hope if the demons were released as his last line is something like "Maybe something better will come from this".

Also I'm going to theorize that Cabin in the Woods is a prequel to Buffy.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    One thing I was wondering
    Were the Germany/Spain sites supposed to be references to particular horror genres?

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    A Company Man, this is a great film that's now up on iTunes and on demand I believe. If you liked Man From Nowhere, this feels in many ways like the spiritual successor. And if you like Ray Donovan I think you'll like this too.

The story is about a guy who works for a steel company, but it's just a front for a hitman operation, with just the most believable bits of Mr. & Mrs. Smith. The office front is totally believable, everyone does real work in the office to make it look believable and legitimate, and then you have the secret compartment to enter the wetworks area which is just a hole in the wall. But it's all handled to a believable level, not some Roland Emmerich design. The guy hires a temp kid to help out with a job and is supposed to kill him when the job is done (because the kid doesn't want to work there forever) but instead the guy fakes his death and in trying to assure his family of his injury gets falls in love with the temp's mother. Now that he has something to live for, he wants to quit the company. Conflict ensues.

It's a very strong drama in the first half of the film, and when fighting occurs it's brief and intense to show just how efficient they are at their jobs. Then the conflict arises in the middle, and towards the end you've built up enough to have some very strong, well choreographed fight scenes (both hand to hand and shoot outs) that people will talk about. What it really does well is sell the idea of this guy who only did this because he was good at it now finding something more meaningful and simply feels he put in his time. There's some realistic tension (as far as you can get for hitmen) when it comes to just how much time is enough in this line of business.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    scherbchen wrote: »
    I'd buy it if they were all established to be friendless orphans, but they weren't.

Ending Cabin spoilers:
    Morally, it's a tough situation. Keeping humanity alive by killing dozens of innocent KIDS every single year, forever? And it's not as if the people doing it are punished, they're basically pensioners. Marty isn't entirely wrong that humanity as a species is a sort of malformed entity in that situation.

see that is where that interpretation loses me....
    kill 6 kids a year to ensure that billions keep on living? nevermind the mouthbreathers and the really evil guys and those that live in absolute horror. that sounds like a good deal to me. millions of caring fathers and mothers. thousands who try to make the world a better place. and just plain decent folk.

I've killed 6 dumb college jocks for less!

erm, I've said too much....
    Way more than six actually, and the film implies that a lot of people are involved in the conspiracy like governments and such.

But that's just a bunch of utilistic calculation anyway. Your argument here is already given by Weaver at the end. It is rejected by Dana and Marty. They explicitly reject the idea of accepting evil for the greater good. Saying they shouldn't reject it is just saying that they should hold the same ethical framework as you.

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    Six but I don't think it matters to much since whether I agree with them I can certainly imagine that there are people in the world who think that any society that mercilessly murders even one person regularly to survive maybe doesn't deserve to keep going. Also I again would like to point out that Marty clearly didn't believe that the world would be without hope if the demons were released as his last line is something like "Maybe something better will come from this".

well I just recently gotten this "twist" view on it so I will have to think about it for a bit. I like it as a "hey, dude. I am so baked right now" view but I can see the argument for it. as for
    the world being without hope. I believe that is a bit of a stretch. does humanity suck more than humanity being devoured by elder gods? including you and all you love perishing? is the other option to say (as per the new-to-me interpretation) that the horror genre needs to die? mind you I might be down with that but it does not sound right.

prequel to Buffy? there was no world made of shrimp.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Saw Monsters University tonight.

A well made family movie. I laughed several times and enjoyed the experience. Definitely one of Pixar's mediocre efforts though. Good but nothing special. Like Monsters Inc., which is appropriate I guess.

shryke on
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    scherbchen wrote: »

well I just recently gotten this "twist" view on it so I will have to think about it for a bit. I like it as a "hey, dude. I am so baked right now" view but I can see the argument for it. as for
    the world being without hope. I believe that is a bit of a stretch. does humanity suck more than humanity being devoured by elder gods? including you and all you love perishing? is the other option to say (as per the new-to-me interpretation) that the horror genre needs to die? mind you I might be down with that but it does not sound right.

prequel to Buffy? there was no world made of shrimp.
    meh, you know how Whedon ended Angel, right? (ignoring the comics)

the "fuck that. I don't just accept evil." thing is not that strange a stance.

also, the point of the film I believe is not that the horror genre needs to die but that it needs to die as it is now. It needs to burn so that we can build something from the ashes that isn't as fucked up. There are good things to horror, there is just too much bad to it at the moment.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Cabin discussion:
    I have to wonder what would have happened if the kids never had gone down into the basement, considering that all the other sites had gone sideways.

Following the analogy, obviously the Gods would have awoken (audience up in arms), because what the fuck a horror movie with no horror? But looking through an in-universe lens... well, I suppose that's why they rig it in their favor, so their freedom of choice is all but ostensible.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Maltese Falcon was dang good. Started out slow, but I loved the final act.

Bogart's presence could melt iron.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Cabin discussion:
    I have to wonder what would have happened if the kids never had gone down into the basement, considering that all the other sites had gone sideways.

Following the analogy, obviously the Gods would have awoken (audience up in arms), because what the fuck a horror movie with no horror? But looking through an in-universe lens... well, I suppose that's why they rig it in their favor, so their freedom of choice is all but ostensible.
    The whole movie they basically make the kids dumber and less actual, real people in order to "appease the gods".

It's another barb thrown at the horror audience that demands it's protagonists be stupid enough to do shit like that.

• Options
    Saw The Hangover tonight finally.

Was a fun comedy. All I could think though was why this became (it always seemed to me) a huge phenomenon. It was a great comedy but it didn't blow me away. It was also alot tamer then I was expecting.

Still fun though.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Was a fun comedy. All I could think though was why this became (it always seemed to me) a huge phenomenon. It was a great comedy but it didn't blow me away. It was also alot tamer then I was expecting.

Still fun though.

What's the name of the law where it states that 90% of everything is crap?

We tend to over-laud the remaining 10%.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    The Living Daylights was pretty decent, although I watched it in two parts with the second being the 30 minute action packed finale so that may have tainted my view of the movie. The mujahideen thing is hilarious. Unintentionally hilarious, but funny nonetheless.

Dalton is a pretty cold Bond, but I dont think thats necessarily a bad thing after Moore's fun uncle Bond and the main Bond girl actually had some balls.

Best to worst Moore Bond are:
    1. The Spy Who Loved Me
    2. For Your Eyes Only
    3. The Man with the Golden Gun
    4. Moonraker
    5. A View to a Kill
    6. Octopussy
    7. Live and Let Die

Live and Let Die is the only absolutely terrible one, but most of the others dont rise above summer popcorn movie.

Tonight Im finishing up Dalton with License to Kill and holy shit Benicio del Toro is a henchman. Im pretty sure this one is going to be bad, but fuck it, theyve already towed a Cessna with a helicopter so...

Also, what the fuck is it with Bond villains and sharks?

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular

Still fun though.

What's the name of the law where it states that 90% of everything is crap?

We tend to over-laud the remaining 10%.

Sturgeon's Law.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    One thing I was wondering
    Were the Germany/Spain sites supposed to be references to particular horror genres?

I'm not big on horror but I believe that they like Japan they have their own relatively prominent horror industries.

Quid on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I forget, but was Italy a contender in Cabin in the Woods? They probably should have been.

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    Re: Cabin in the Woods ending
    Its actually a lot more then Six but I don't think it matters to much since whether I agree with them I can certainly imagine that there are people in the world who think that any society that mercilessly murders even one person regularly to survive maybe doesn't deserve to keep going. Also I again would like to point out that Marty clearly didn't believe that the world would be without hope if the demons were released as his last line is something like "Maybe something better will come from this".

Nope, it's much darker than that:

Marty: I'm sorry I let you get attacked by a werewolf and ended the world.
    Dana: Nah, you were right. Humanity... it's time to give someone else a chance.

Which implies that they accept Humanity is screwed, and another civilization of other beings deserves the use of Earth instead.
    Julius wrote: »
    Way more than six actually, and the film implies that a lot of people are involved in the conspiracy like governments and such.
    But that's just a bunch of utilistic calculation anyway. Your argument here is already given by Weaver at the end. It is rejected by Dana and Marty. They explicitly reject the idea of accepting evil for the greater good. Saying they shouldn't reject it is just saying that they should hold the same ethical framework as you.
    Speaking of movies where there is a definite ethical framework that may or may not be widely held, Prometheus has a shocker in the middle when David talks to Holloway about why they are on their mission.

David asks why Humanity made him and Holloway shrugs and replies, "Maybe because we could". David then asks what Holloway would do if that was the reply from Humanity's theoretical creators, and would it make a difference to Holloway. Holloway exclaims "Of course it makes a difference!", and when David confesses he doesn't understand why it makes a difference Holloway counters "That's because I'm human and you're a robot".

*I'm* human, and I don't understand why knowing the creators' intentions would make a difference, considering whatever it was has been long-abandoned and we've spent the last few millenia under self-determination.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I forget, but was Italy a contender in Cabin in the Woods? They probably should have been.

The video screen for Italy could've depicted a poorly made and uninspired ripoff of Cabin in the Woods.
    Archangle wrote: »
    Its actually a lot more then Six but I don't think it matters to much since whether I agree with them I can certainly imagine that there are people in the world who think that any society that mercilessly murders even one person regularly to survive maybe doesn't deserve to keep going. Also I again would like to point out that Marty clearly didn't believe that the world would be without hope if the demons were released as his last line is something like "Maybe something better will come from this".

Which implies that they accept Humanity is screwed, and another civilization of other beings deserves the use of Earth instead.
    Speaking of movies where there is a definite ethical framework that may or may not be widely held, Prometheus has a shocker in the middle when David talks to Holloway about why they are on their mission.

David asks why Humanity made him and Holloway shrugs and replies, "Maybe because we could". David then asks what Holloway would do if that was the reply from Humanity's theoretical creators, and would it make a difference to Holloway. Holloway exclaims "Of course it makes a difference!", and when David confesses he doesn't understand why it makes a difference Holloway counters "That's because I'm human and you're a robot".

*I'm* human, and I don't understand why knowing the creators' intentions would make a difference, considering whatever it was has been long-abandoned and we've spent the last few millenia under self-determination.

Holloway and Shaw are religious fanatics. Their logic is... compromised.

reVerse on
  • Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

The video screen for Italy could've depicted a poorly made and uninspired ripoff of Cabin in the Woods.

That's true, but typically film makers give their sympathetic protagonists the self-awareness not to openly say "this is what defines us as humans" if they are compromised. It feels too much like it's the film makers rather than the character expounding their worldview.

Tying it back to Cabin in the Woods:
    If we don't sympathize with the protagonists, either by them holding values that conflict with our own or by becoming a blatant soapbox rather than a true character, then it reduces the impact of their death and/or survival - in the same way as it's important that the last girl "suffers", rather than is "punished" like the first girl.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Cabin In the Woods:

Motorcycle scene made me laugh my ass off.

• Options
    Holloway isn't really meant to be sympathetic nor is he a protagonist. David, later Shaw, fills that spot.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    We're nearing the end of the list for the Instant Watch Film Society, if anyone is interested in presenting a movie for it, PM me and I'll add you to the list.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited September 2013

cabin in the woods semi spoiler.
    How could you think that movie is the prequel to anything :P
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    I find Clockwork Orange really odd as the film misses the point of the book so much by leaving out the entire third act.

I haven't read the book, but the movie tells a very coherent story I thought with very good points. I had to go get spoiled on the missing last chapter stuff, but if people saw that in the movie they would have declared it got "hollywoodified" and watered down.

The extra chapter apparently:
    After hes "cured" he gets a high paying job with the govt, and goes back to crime, but isnt as into it. He grows up and continues crime but just isnt into it, and laments how his children will be just as violent or moreso than he was. I don't think the(idea of) turn around does much for the story at all, but, I also havent directly experienced the book myself.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

It's meant to be a prequel to better, more innovative horror movies.

• Options
    I watched three movies today(ish).

Iron Man 3 was the best of the bunch. RDJ continues to be great in the role. The decision to have Tony's gadgets and technology be kind of busted up makes for a variety of fun action scenes, best of the lot being the glove and boot scene. The little kid is a fun sidekick and the film makers are wise not to ruin it all by overusing him.
    I'm not a big fan of the comics so I found the Mandarin reveal to be funny and interesting as opposed to OMG MY CANONS. The real bad guy was pretty predictable from the start and he wasn't very interesting. I really, really liked it that Pepper got a totally badass scene out of nowhere at the end (I did expect her to show up, fire wasn't killing enhanced people earlier, but I wasn't expecting the complete badassness).

Fun and enjoyable movie with a solid cast and story that moves on at a good clip. Would recommend, five stars.

The second movie I saw was a rewatch of Batman Begins. I've said some fairly harsh things about the movie in the past which I now realize only apply to the second half of the movie. The first half with the origin story is interesting, but like with 99% of origin stories there is that spot where the hero does his first successful hero run donning the costume, kicking the shit out of some criminals and foiling their criminal activities. After that point the second story begins, the Super Villain Plot Du Jour, and the one presented in Begins just isn't that good. While Ras al Ghul and Scarecrow both make a lot of sense and fit in thematically, they're just not particularly interesting in their own right and that drags the second half of the movie down something fierce.

There's a strange thing in the movie where they completely ignore Bruce's mother. His father is this incredibly important part of his life and the movie is bursting at the seams with father figures (Alfred, Gordon, Ras), but Bruce's mother barely even warrants a mention. She's on screen for less than three minutes and after the death she's never referred to as a person. The father gets plenty of mentions from multiple characters, but the mother is only mentioned as part of "parents". Kinda weirded me out.

Later I happened to turn the television on just as Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was about to start, so I decided to watch that. The story isn't anything super interesting (Abe's mom gets killed by vampires, adult Abe meets a vampire hunter, works as a vampire hunter before becoming a president, the vampires side with the South in the war). There's a handful of green screened action scenes where you can tell that the movie was made with a strict budget, but none of it is bad enough to truly detract from the movie. In the end it's enjoyable, but nothing special.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

Ziggymon wrote: »
    I find Clockwork Orange really odd as the film misses the point of the book so much by leaving out the entire third act.

I haven't read the book, but the movie tells a very coherent story I thought with very good points. I had to go get spoiled on the missing last chapter stuff, but if people saw that in the movie they would have declared it got "hollywoodified" and watered down.

The extra chapter apparently:
    After hes "cured" he gets a high paying job with the govt, and goes back to crime, but isnt as into it. He grows up and continues crime but just isnt into it, and laments how his children will be just as violent or moreso than he was. I don't think the(idea of) turn around does much for the story at all, but, I also havent directly experienced the book myself.

Ok stay with on this.
    The old ones break out and ravage humanity for so long that human society disappears from human memory but small factions of humans survive. A group of Shaman in one group get together and graft the power of one of the old ones onto a girl who they use to kick them out. The last demon to leave mixes his blood with a human to create Vampires and the line of Slayers fights them.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Batman Begins is another in a long line of superhero movies that can't stick the landing after finally finishing the main character's progression to superherodom.

Examples:
    Batman Begins
    Iron Man
    Spiderman
    Captain America
    etc

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Iron Man at least keeps on rolling on the strength of RDJ, even if the villain and his plot are boring.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Iron Man at least keeps on rolling on the strength of RDJ, even if the villain and his plot are boring.

That statement applies to every movie RDJ plays Tony Stark in.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Hell yeah it does. Stark is the role he was born to play. The casting director deserves a Lifetime Achievement Oscar just for that.

reVerse on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    For casting RDJ as RDJ playing RDJ as Tony Stark?

• Options
    For casting RDJ as RDJ playing RDJ as Tony Stark?

Yeah. Fuckin' genius.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    RDJ basically is Tony Stark.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Why do you think they're religious fanatics?

I thought Loki and the plot, while simple, in Avengers were entertaining. :(

• Options
    edited September 2013

Why do you think they're religious fanatics?

Because they talk and act like ones. Holloway's reaction to finding dead aliens is particularly telling. It's probably the greatest scientific discovery of ever, but Holloway gets depressed and mopey because he didn't get a chance to chat with his god creature. Also, Vickers mentions that the only reason they're part of the mission is because Weyland wanted "true believers" on the ship.

I know that people like to criticize the movie because "the scientists aren't very scientist-like", but as far as I can tell there's a total of two actual scientists on the mission, as far as the main cast is concerned anyway: Lysa Arryn and the biologist guy. Shaw and Holloway are archaeologists who found evidence of alien life and turned it into their own personal God myth, the wolf guy is an engineer who created semi-autonomous robot things that map places (he's not actually a map maker: he doesn't have any cartography instruments on him, all the map data goes straight to Prometheus), Idris Elba is Idris Elba, David is a robot and Vickers is kinda sorta leader type.

I thought Loki and the plot, while simple, in Avengers were entertaining. :(

Sure, but if they hadn't been, the Avengers would still be worth watching because RDJ.

reVerse on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Jeff Bridges is great in the role. But the role isn't particularly original.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Batman Begins is another in a long line of superhero movies that can't stick the landing after finally finishing the main character's progression to superherodom.

Examples:
    Batman Begins
    Iron Man
    Spiderman
    Captain America
    etc

This is why Unbreakable ends when it does.

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    The Searchers:

Interesting to compare this with the other really famous latter-day John Wayne film True Grit. Both portray Wayne's character as jaded and cynical, but True Grit plays it mostly for laughs and this movie goes much darker, even using it to examine racism (in 1956!).

The movie doesn't do enough to make it feel like several years have gone by, and the conclusion, with the Comanche band just showing up practically at the doorstep again, is a bit too big of a coincidence to swallow comfortably.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    We're nearing the end of the list for the Instant Watch Film Society, if anyone is interested in presenting a movie for it, PM me and I'll add you to the list.
    xjj5.jpg

I just made my post today!

Even if you guys don't have netflix, you can participate in the weeks discussion since the movie is on Youtube in its entirety. :P

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
This discussion has been closed.