As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Crime [maybe a little Punishment] and what happens next.

azith28azith28 Registered User regular

Hello all,

I currently have the dubious honor of living in Cleveland, OH. Recently, and in the somewhat recent past, we have had several national headline Criminal incident you may have heard of. Anthony Sowell, the serial killer who raped and killed many women. Ariel Castro, who Kidnapped, abused, and raped on a regular basis 3 children for the better part of 10 years. Another man who killed/raped 3 women whos name i dont even remember since its gotten to be a pretty regular occurance up here.

Now, what brings me here today is a somewhat recent trend I have seen pop up with other similar tragic incidents...Things that happen after the guy is caught. In ariel Castros case, the man has been transformed by taking him from his life of a shut-in child rapist who visited hell on these girls every single day, to being a shut-in, protected from general population, generally living his live out in the same way hes lived for 10 years, with the exception of the child rape. His sentence was life plus 1000 years. He didnt really have a trial other then to present his plea bargin.

The question of 'is life enough' begs to be answered, but since im trying to make this thread about the after effects, I will leave that for other people.

Anyway, just as in Anthony Sowells case, the states solution to helping 'repair the damage' Ariel Castro has done to his community involves picking his one run down crappy home in the block of crappy run down houses, and demolishing it. Then they announce that the healing can begin...because hell, lets give cushy jail time to the rapist, its really the HOUSE he did all the rapes in that needs to be given a death sentence.

I have to ask what exactly this accomplishes for the community. The same community that was blind to the possibility that this old man had 3 children held captive in his home for a decade. I cant help but wonder how impossible it was that there was never a single scream heard, a single window broken from a girl trying to escape...that was ignored by this same community that needs to heal.

So whats next? Do we have a community gathering so everyone can see the knife or gun melted down that was used to kill someone? I can see some psycological aspect for the girls recovery to have the place that these events took place destroyed but would you want to return to that place for an instant even just to see it burned to the ground? Why make such a huge bullshit deal in the media that the house needed to be punished?

As you can imagine the local radio has had alot to talk about this case, and I regularly hear this strange response when discussing if we should have gone futher with his punishment "He could have killed the girls". To this I have to refrain from shouting at the radio... Consider that a single rape of a grown woman leaves tramatic mental scars for the rest of her life. How exactly has this man not completely murdered these girls ever having a normal life? A normal childhood? A life free of nightmares reliving these events until the day they die? Why is the justice system blind to the after affects of crimes?

A less serious example would be if you got your car stolen. Even if the police recover your vehicle, why exactly is the victim then required to pay towing/impound costs and fees to recover his/her stolen merchandise, damaged or not? It's not like they left the car parked in the middle of the interstate and just walked off.

So whos falling for this? Whos going to believe that the root of all evil in that community was bubbling out of this house like an indian burial ground, and now everythings going to be alright.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    maybe the house was a jerk

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I shot the sheriff this one time

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    the deputy wasn't around though

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    People want to house knocked down for the same reason people won't eat chicken feet. In that they don't like the idea of it. There is no sensible logical answer for you here. That's just how things are.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    As Dennis Denuto from the castle said "It's the vibe of the thing, your Honour."

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Anyway, just as in Anthony Sowells case, the states solution to helping 'repair the damage' Ariel Castro has done to his community involves picking his one run down crappy home in the block of crappy run down houses, and demolishing it. Then they announce that the healing can begin...because hell, lets give cushy jail time to the rapist, its really the HOUSE he did all the rapes in that needs to be given a death sentence.

This part is pretty adorable.

Also for the record the family of one of the victims was present to take the first swing, and another of the victims showed up with balloons to watch the demolition so there was clearly a psychological need for the people who were directly impacted to see the house go. But it's pretty awesome that you get to be the police to decide how other people deal with their trauma. Must take a weight off their shoulders to know you're there.

• interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    what the hell is this thread

what are you doing

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    This is all because of those liberals and their Fannie Mae policies. If Obama wasn't giving out home loans to everyone to buy off their votes for the election we wouldn't have all these houses for people to commit crimes in.

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    no death penalty for houses, send that house to prison

0BnD8l3.gif
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Dude

spending the rest of your life in jail is not a "cushy" anything. That is a horrible thing, and the only reason it's justified is because the crime committed was also horrible.

• TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    azith these are some fundamentally shitty opinions to hold

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I'm sorry we are not allowed to discuss politics on this board, I feel that this borders on politics and will quickly descend into politics

• MattypeeMattypee Brisbane, AUSRegistered User regular
    huh? what?
    I'm not sure exactly what you want?
    Are you calling for the death penalty, or protesting the demolition of an innocent house?

There was a village called Orador-Sur-Glane in france where the Nazis came knocking one day.
    The nazis separated the men, claiming they were terrorists. The women and children were locked in a church.
    They then killed all the men, women and children in the village and burned the bodies and the rest of the town.

The healing for the French was to leave the village ruins intact and construct a copy of the town 300m away, leaving the village as a monument.

None of the men involved were given the death penalty, and all the Alsatians were given amnesty and allowed to go free after the trial.

tl;dr, you don't get to pick how a community and victims heal after something happens, that's up to them. If they want the house smashed, the house should be smashed.

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    What does improsoning him until he died accomplish?

He can't hurt anybody else. Done. That's that problem taken care of.

"But he might have killed one of the girls, you say."

But he didn't, and now he can't. Still not seeing the problem.

8406wWN.png
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    so this ... isn't a Dostoyevsky thread?

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    I don't get where you are going with this thread.

But one important point:
    azith28 wrote: »
    Why is the justice system blind to the after affects of crimes?
    The job of the justice system is to find an punish criminals according to the law. This has nothing to do with the after affects. Now, obivously there should be somebody and something to help victims of crime with their life and the various ways they can be negatively afflicted by it. But not the justice system.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote: »
    Dude

spending the rest of your life in jail is not a "cushy" anything. That is a horrible thing, and the only reason it's justified is because the crime committed was also horrible.

And he is a child-rapist.

Life in prison as a pedophile is basically hell on earth.

There is nothing more that can or should be done except maybe look for ways to prevent these crimes in the future.

Quire.jpg
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I was gonna post something, but then a whole bunch of people posted those things pretty effectively already.

So, uh... how 'bout them Brooklyn Dodgers?

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Also they're demolishing that house because its owner is in jail for life and nobody would want to buy a house where horrible crimes occured.

sig.gif
  • nocuddletimenocuddletime Registered User regular
    I'd be happier if he was in the house when they demolished it.

93acff97bUk2g.gif
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    kill the poor

• Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    I thought this was a Judge Dredd thread.

I wish it was a Judge Dredd thread.

Dredd Thread,

Dreadd.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
    Fuck it it's an offtopic forum.

What was your favorite part of Dredd marco?

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

olivia thirlby's face

then scowlflame.gif

PiptheFair wrote: »

olivia thirlby's face

then scowlflame.gif
    Hotshot.

That was a pretty good bit.

Probably the whole minigun scene and what happened afterwards.

Or when MaMa took a dive

The real answer is Urban's grimace. Darn thing deserved an Oscar.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    My favourite part of Dredd was when Dredd scowls.

edited September 2013
    Yeah Urban's Dredd scowls were amazing.

I wonder if his face was stuck that way for a while after filming a scene.

Tallahasseeriel on
    I wonder how many hours he spent in front of a mirror getting that down, all whispering to himself about the law?

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    I kind of wonder what people perceive as "justice"

Like gutting the guy on national tv or giving him ten years in the electric chair.

Whatever it is, you just can't get everything back after someone does something horrific to you.

There's really no such thing as justice.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Getting into the zone by going onto tumblr for a few hours before each shoot.

Keeping a bunch of pamphlets advertising homeopathic alternatives in his pockets to look at for a refresher on breaks.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

Like gutting the guy on national tv or giving him ten years in the electric chair.

Whatever it is, you just can't get everything back after someone does something horrific to you.

Just us.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

SIERRA

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Hullis wrote: »

SIERRA

HOTEL

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
    The Betman wrote: »

SIERRA

HOTEL

INDIA

SIERRA

HOTEL

INDIA

ECHO

SIERRA

HOTEL

INDIA

ECHO

LIMA

SIERRA

HOTEL

INDIA

ECHO

LIMA

DELTA