As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pikmin 3: No one man should have all that flower.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'm curious about that too... is there any reward for getting all the fruit?

I'm loving the twist the plot's taking:
    "Captain Olimar," eh? Louie's still a lazy, greedy bastard. Gotta love the file Olimar left griping about his piggishness. "Not cool, Louie. Not cool."

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I just got the last of the fruit last night.

I wish that the game gave me any indication of what levels still have data files I'm missing. I'd hate to waste days just walking around looking for them.

Now to finally finish the game. Also, what is up with just one save file? :(

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I freak out about stragglers whenever the end of the day nears - I like how there's an onscreen count and a gamepad detailed count of the number of pikmin in danger as time winds down. So far I luckily have no pikmin left behind. Is there still the dramatic scene of straggler pikmin running towards your ship and onions just after you blast off, only to be savagely devoured by beasts?

Yup, when your ship and the onion take off, there's a little animation of the leftover Pikmin running up to the ship and running around frantically as they are unceremoniously eaten. Now that I've gotten my daughter over her fear of losing Pikmin, we tend to play fast and loose and lose at least three or four a day, so we've taken to skipping over the horrific reality of the fate of those we leave behind.

We have a pretty good system now. I control everything using the Remote/Nunchuck, while she manages the map by directing different squads where they need to go, planning our days, and helping me navigate where I need to go. It's legitimately a huge help, because she has spotted tons of stuff on the map that I wouldn't have seen on my own. My wife is even getting in on our nightly Pikmin sessions now. We're really having a great time with it.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Oh man, I would have never thought about having a buddy co-pilot with the gamepad.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I freak out about stragglers whenever the end of the day nears - I like how there's an onscreen count and a gamepad detailed count of the number of pikmin in danger as time winds down. So far I luckily have no pikmin left behind. Is there still the dramatic scene of straggler pikmin running towards your ship and onions just after you blast off, only to be savagely devoured by beasts?

Yup, when your ship and the onion take off, there's a little animation of the leftover Pikmin running up to the ship and running around frantically as they are unceremoniously eaten. Now that I've gotten my daughter over her fear of losing Pikmin, we tend to play fast and loose and lose at least three or four a day, so we've taken to skipping over the horrific reality of the fate of those we leave behind.

We have a pretty good system now. I control everything using the Remote/Nunchuck, while she manages the map by directing different squads where they need to go, planning our days, and helping me navigate where I need to go. It's legitimately a huge help, because she has spotted tons of stuff on the map that I wouldn't have seen on my own. My wife is even getting in on our nightly Pikmin sessions now. We're really having a great time with it.

I quoted this on my FB wall with comments to my fellow game design classmates and colleges. Your statement is a prime example of how people should be looking at the Game Pad and how it can incorporate others into a non-standardized gaming experience. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »

I quoted this on my FB wall with comments to my fellow game design classmates and colleges. Your statement is a prime example of how people should be looking at the Game Pad and how it can incorporate others into a non-standardized gaming experience. :)

Awesome. It's funny, because this method didn't click right away. At first I tried to let her control everything with the gamepad, but she just doesn't quite have the dexterity yet to make the quick on-the-fly decisions during combat and stuff. Then I tried controlling with just the remote/nunchuck and quickly realized I was lost without the map. That eventually led to her simply holding onto it and then slowly taking over more responsibilities as the game went on. She's basically playing an RTS game while I handle the grunt-work on the ground level.

I don't know if this is what they intended for the game to play like, but I feel like this is the way the game should be played. It's just so much fun and makes for a wonderful shared experience.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Awesome. It's funny, because this method didn't click right away. At first I tried to let her control everything with the gamepad, but she just doesn't quite have the dexterity yet to make the quick on-the-fly decisions during combat and stuff. Then I tried controlling with just the remote/nunchuck and quickly realized I was lost without the map. That eventually led to her simply holding onto it and then slowly taking over more responsibilities as the game went on. She's basically playing an RTS game while I handle the grunt-work on the ground level.

I don't know if this is what they intended for the game to play like, but I feel like this is the way the game should be played. It's just so much fun and makes for a wonderful shared experience.

Since I can't do both, I'm "awsomeing" the bold and "agreeing" the italics. :D

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    That buddy system sounds awesome! I need to recruit me a copilot.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Well, I got all the fruit and finished the game today. That final area + boss is a complete and total bitch. I wonder if anyone could clear it in 1 day?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Well, I got all the fruit and finished the game today. That final area + boss is a complete and total bitch. I wonder if anyone could clear it in 1 day?

Considering someone has cleared the game with all fruit in 10 days, I'd imagine the final zone can be done in 1.

I'd head straight for the bombs behind the wall then head back to the short cut near where the mysterious life form first appears. That would bypass some bridge building.

Meanwhile keep Brittany doing laps with a small posse for Olimar.

The dark/wet area doesn't seem too tough once you know where the bridges and light bulbs are.

It would be quite hard, but a Pikmin 3 100% speed run would be an amazing thing to see.

• Options
    Man the way some enemies go to town on pikmin. Pikmin must be freaking delicious.

• Options
    The difficulty jump between Story and Mission modes is huge.

Mission demands significant multitasking abilities. I'm not sure whether I love it or hate it for beating me into submission.

• Options
    Anyone else having their Pikmin 3 game nagging you to enable Spotpass constantly? It happens like every other time I start the game, a prompt shows up if you want to enable Spotpass. I already enabled it! Also the Pikmin 3 tile icon on the home menu is constantly glowing blue, I guess that's data received for something?

• Options

Cleared all the fruit and now we're working on the final area. I have to agree with you, it's pretty rough. The amount of micromanaging you have to do is crazy. We're going into our third day now and I still have no idea how close we are.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    It took me 4-5 days on that final area. I think second go round will be much faster since I know what the hell i'm doing. I didn't realize it would be what it ended up being.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Got this today for my birthday. Already played over 4 hours. Its so fantastic and beautiful.
    I suck at it. It took me 7 days to learn how to lock. I've lost so many pikmin as I often brute-force everything. Thankfully I have a massive backup supply. Will... Will I need more?

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    Whew, finished it. Awesome game! I don't think we've all played something like that together in a long time, and it was a lot of fun. That last section and boss were a little bit of a slog, but it didn't take away from the overall experience too much. Ended taking us 57 days total. We lost a ridiculous number of Pikmin in the process. The final tally was like 1055 or something.

So to answer the question above: Yes, you will need more. Many, many more.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Whew, finished it. Awesome game! I don't think we've all played something like that together in a long time, and it was a lot of fun. That last section and boss were a little bit of a slog, but it didn't take away from the overall experience too much. Ended taking us 57 days total. We lost a ridiculous number of Pikmin in the process. The final tally was like 1055 or something.

I lost 1168 :(

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    How do I properly kill an Arachnodes? One time it killed nearly everything I was throwing directly at him.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    The only effective and safe method I found was to hit it directly with rock pikmin. Like 2 or 3 direct hits will kill it.

3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    I and I just beat it yesterday. 46 days, all fruit collected, 335 Pikmin lost. Not bad, I can do better now but I don't know if I'll really play through the whole thing again. I am really enjoying the Mission modes

3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    Kriegaffe wrote: »

I lost 1168 :(

You guys make me feel better about just losing around 500 dudes :P A quarter of which was just from the last boss alone :(

NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    We actually didn't do as bad as our casualties would suggest. I'd say at least a few hundred of those happened in mass killings where we were just stupid or unlucky. For example, at one point there was a red Pikmin that got left behind close to where a dude was rolling snowballs down a hill. I normally would have left him behind, but we were feeling generous and went back for him. Figured the worst that could happen was that we get hit by a snowball, gather everyone up again, then head back to the onion.

Only, as soon as the snowball hit, I realized a couple of my other Pikmin were carrying bombs. Before I could get back up and call everyone out of the way, it detonated. Mass casualties.

Stuff like that probably happened half a dozen times. On a second playthrough I'd definitely be much smarter. Still, it was a blast either way. I'm looking forward to trying out some of the coop missions.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    How do I properly kill an Arachnodes? One time it killed nearly everything I was throwing directly at him.

I'll tell you what not to do -- throw all your pikmin at it, getting them all stuck in the web, and then throw a bomb rock at it.

I accidentally lost 98 pikmin in one terrible explosion doing that. Only time I felt I needed to restart a day in the whole game.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I made plenty of dumb mistakes. Like forgetting to take down a spider, finding a pile of bridge parts, sending my pink pikmin to get them...Before realizing the mistake I lost something like 20. Those types of things will be cut down on my second playthrough...Poor Pikmins

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

I'll tell you what not to do -- throw all your pikmin at it, getting them all stuck in the web, and then throw a bomb rock at it.

I accidentally lost 98 pikmin in one terrible explosion doing that. Only time I felt I needed to restart a day in the whole game.

I did this exact thing, except I lost only 82 pikmin. I took a screenshot (spoilers for last area)
    tumblr_mrclw64qKE1qlepd7o1_1280.jpg

• Options
    Whew. Burned through this in a couple of days. What I do with games is i'll power through them, complete them quickly, and then pick them up a bit later and appreciate them for everything they're worth. With this one I imagine i'll pick it up again tomorrow because what a game.
    Shortish, but so brilliant. I'm wondering if i need to start all the days again? Like if i pick a day, and go back to it, will it cancel all progress AFTER that day? Or will it let me carry on with the other later days as i've already completed them? Would save having to go back to DAY ONE and do all the "find everyone" crap again. I'd like to gather all the fruit day by day with all my pikmin.

The final boss was mental, and scary, and took me a good four days to get through that labyrinth. I didn't lose that many pikmin against him though. The final battle i lost about 50? I lost way more in the previous area, accidentally leading my whole battalion off a cliff in to the water below.

I can really see why Miyamoto is so PROUD of this game. Because he is proud, and so he should be. It's packed full of charm and oozes creativity and thought. Haven't played a game this exciting and engaging in a long time. Probably my favourite wiiu game/experience.

I did the co-op missions with my fiance too and she picked it up really easily with the gamepad. They're great fun but are there only five "collect the treasure" ones? We burned through them pretty quickly and it didn't seem to be showing any more. Is it just "Now try your best to get gold!" on them all now?

Main question TLDR:
    If i go back to say, day 20, will it cancel or keep all of my progress AFTER day 20?

• Options
    I haven't done it myself but I'm fairly certain that yes, rewinding the days and saving erases all days after the one you reset.

3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    I haven't done it myself but I'm fairly certain that yes, rewinding the days and saving erases all days after the one you reset.

Yeah, I only did it once but I'm pretty sure this is how it works. Which makes sense because if you change one day significantly it's naturally going to affect everything comes after it.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Fantastic, so I can pick the day that I WOULD have killed that final boss, and just go and collect all the fruit again? Gather pikmin etc, and then just go finish him off when I'm ready however many days later?

• Options
    yep that sounds about right.
    I'd actually like to go back in and search around for the few data files I missed, but doing that means rewinding and undoing the final boss battle and I'd rather just have the completed save file.

I couldn't find the second file for the last boss fight, plus I somehow missed a control file plus two or three of the secret files.

3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    yep that sounds about right.
    I'd actually like to go back in and search around for the few data files I missed, but doing that means rewinding and undoing the final boss battle and I'd rather just have the completed save file.

I couldn't find the second file for the last boss fight, plus I somehow missed a control file plus two or three of the secret files.

You wouldn't have to do the entire boss fight again though, would you? I mean, unless you somehow beat it in one day or something, which I can't even imagine possible. There's a pretty natural break where:
    You finally get Olimar out to that big clearing just beside the ship/onion and the boos takes on his final form where you have to fight him. At any point after that, you can come back on a different day and he'll still be hanging out there with whatever damage you've already dealt to him. Once you figure out what day you lured him out, just go to that day (or the one right after it if you're slow like me) and finish finding all the rest of the fruits and data files at your leisure.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Man going back from Wiimote to gamepad controls is jarring. Spent way too long trying to take down those annoying flying bug things that plant your pikmin. So much time trying to target the jerk and overthrowing pikmin, all the while it kept taking pikmin and throwing me around, until I finally remembered to lock on (you can actually re-center the cursor on a locked on enemy by pressing R if you moved the pointer away while locked on and strafing). I would have murdered the bug in seconds just by pointing the Wiimote and raining pikmin death.

Airborne creatures are a pain to target with analog sticks, even when just getting the cursor close enough to get a lock on.

• Options
    Yeah, once I moved over to remote/nunchuck there was no way I could go back to gamepad controls.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    2013-08-27-505-ComicReviewPikmin3.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    My friend gave the old nintendo argument of "It's too kiddy" when he complained about not having games to play and i recommended pikmin 3.

So that's... that's nice.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    You should be able to buy pikmin for sex and beat them up for fun. Damn Kidtendo, m i rite?!?1

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      Nintendo Console Codes
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA