As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New Young Uncanny Secret A.I. Arena [Avengers] Thread (Now with less Dark)

• Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    Phoenix vs Sentry? Or a Phoenix-fied Sentry? Or...an army of Dark Phoenixes? Place your bets folks!

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    There was a rumor that En Sabah Nur is going to make a big return next year, too.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    There was a rumor that En Sabah Nur is going to make a big return next year, too.

I hope Genesis gets to beat him up.

I also hope Genesis doesn't just become him.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Genesis is the best Superman analogue Marvel has come up with, and they've done a lot of trying. They'd be crazy to get rid of him.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

I'd like Ethan to take over Cables role .

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    grumpy old man?

time-displaced mercenary?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Deadpool's bromance?

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Deadpool's bromance?

He's already got that.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Deadpool is more an older brother

which actually works really well. Wade is older and more experienced and more jaded, but doesn't want that hope and idealism to die, so he tries to help Genesis become a better person as he grows up, give him the guidance he never had. In return, Genesis sees Deadpool as more than almost anyone else, because he sees that behind the jokes and the mercenary attitude, there is a damaged but still caring guy.

Man Remender wrote the best Deadpool

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Man Remender wrote the best Deadpool

I'm sorry, have you not read the fine work of a true Deadpool phenomenon, Mr. Daniel WaAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Haha, like I had a chance of getting through that with a straight face. Oh I kill me.

Reminder really does need to write Deadpool again. Maybe now that Cap is done with Dimension Z...... :P

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Uncanny X-Force is the first and only time I have ever cared about Deadpool.
    And man did it make me care about him a lot.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    SinogueSinogue Registered User regular
    Uncanny X-Force is the first and only time I have ever cared about Deadpool.
    And man did it make me care about him a lot.

Likewise. Which ultimately resulted in me buying the first few issues of Deadpool after the Marvel Now! relaunch.. only to be extremely disappointed.

Someone else on these forums said it before though, that that Wade really only worked in an ensemble book like UXF where he played off of the seriousness of the situations. Regardless, I'd love to see Remender write DP again someday.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    IsHe__.jpg?1378308889

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Vigilance is an important quality while on sentry duty.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    that is obviously hinting at an xcom marvel comic

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Vigilance is an important quality while on sentry duty.

I am still disappointed TLB's Sentry Duty Graphic Violence anthology never got off the ground.

• Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    A.I. Is so. Good. It's probably my favourite Marvel comic at the moment.

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    I'm kinda feeling the opposite about A.I. right now. I think I need to sit down and re-read it this weekend, but it's not really grabbing me as much as I thought it would.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    ^^How I felt about UXF. I guess Humphries just doesn't do it for me.

• Options
    Interesting. What's not working for you? I can tell you what I'm loving.

The anime vibe is great because they're drawing on the good shit Otumo sci fi anime for grumpy old men! I also love the French comic vibe with stuff like the reference to Moebius.

The panel layout is great. For example I though the way The Vision was depicted integrating into the diamond community while a few seconds I real time passed was great.

I love how the visions nanobot body is being treated. I loved te Eva sentinel.

In terms of the writing I really do this sort of crazy futurist vibe they're going for. And I also like how they're approaching the idea of the singularity because I hated how Ultron a supposed super intelligence was being depicted up until now.

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    Also this
    avengersai2d.jpg

• Options
    DOOM

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    I've mostly got two things bothering me about A.I. right now. Now this is all personal opinion and given that it's only issue #3, probably premature of me. I'm very much aware of these things so don't mind me.
    We just got past the whole Hank Pym is responsible for Ultron and being saddled by that burden, and it's being almost immediately replaced by another "creation" of his going amok. I mean literally we had this great one-shot after AoU where Pym is turning a corner on his life and now it's going immediately into a similar situation. That said, he is taking on the situation differently and that's great, but to have these parallels go on so close to each other is a bit tiring to me.

Also, the whole plot feels like a rehash of Remender's Secret Avengers work from last year. Sentient machines that are attacking around the world to stop their human oppressors while they exist in their own "City" where many of the A.I.s are just trying to live out ordinary lives, but also seeking out their "ancestor" to join their cause? Yes, the circumstances are completely different and I'm sure the development and resolution of it will be as well, but I'm not particularly tickled about it now.

I think i'm dropping out for now but I will totally pick it up later depending on how it goes. But there are simply a lot of other Marvel titles that interest me right now for me to stick with something I'm a bit lukewarm about.

That said, I <3 Doombot.

• Options
    Yeah I guess you're more looking at it in the context of the larger Marvel universe.

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    So right now I'm reading Avengers #1 and I still feel like I've been dropped in the middle of an ongoing storyline. Where should I be starting??

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    It's kind of supposed to feel that way. It's told in past tense, but it seems like we might finally catch up to the present tense with Infinity. Just keep going, and also read New Avengers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Also wow the artist is definitely hitting a few Amano notes here and there!

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Mighty Avengers started out pretty strong. Fun, quippy dialogue and really strong characters. Land's art blows butthe writing is aces.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Arena spoilers
    Nara got her back story issue, so naturally she's dead at the end.

She did manage to get Cullen's Bloodstone ring back to him in the process though, so he's not all monstery now.

And it goes without saying, don't mess with a Bloodstone. Geez.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    best new character 2013

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Mighty Avengers started out pretty strong. Fun, quippy dialogue and really strong characters. Land's art blows butthe writing is aces.
    I picked up Infinity: The Hunt and Mighty Avengers even though I wasn't planning to

The Hunt was kinda meh, but Mighty was actually really cool

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I tell you what, I'm wracking my brain trying to think of a character who 1) shouldn't be in the U.S. for reasons and 2) Monica would be familiar with them.

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Machine Man.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I've mostly got two things bothering me about A.I. right now. Now this is all personal opinion and given that it's only issue #3, probably premature of me. I'm very much aware of these things so don't mind me.
    We just got past the whole Hank Pym is responsible for Ultron and being saddled by that burden, and it's being almost immediately replaced by another "creation" of his going amok. I mean literally we had this great one-shot after AoU where Pym is turning a corner on his life and now it's going immediately into a similar situation. That said, he is taking on the situation differently and that's great, but to have these parallels go on so close to each other is a bit tiring to me.

Also, the whole plot feels like a rehash of Remender's Secret Avengers work from last year. Sentient machines that are attacking around the world to stop their human oppressors while they exist in their own "City" where many of the A.I.s are just trying to live out ordinary lives, but also seeking out their "ancestor" to join their cause? Yes, the circumstances are completely different and I'm sure the development and resolution of it will be as well, but I'm not particularly tickled about it now.

I think i'm dropping out for now but I will totally pick it up later depending on how it goes. But there are simply a lot of other Marvel titles that interest me right now for me to stick with something I'm a bit lukewarm about.

That said, I <3 Doombot.

I'm somewhat interested in it. I haven't read the SA story you mentioned, but I am interested in creative depictions of AIs that aren't just of the emotionless 'crush inferior hu-man' variety.
    The cyber-city in A.I. with its various personalities is promising, exploring the notion that true artificial intelligences would necessarily be personalities with sentient thoughts and drives and emotions. There's bound to be some that are good guys and some that are rotten, same way with carbon lifeforms. I'm hoping they pull through the coming conflict and continue to be permanent residents of the Marvel U and won't be exterminated just for 'oo tragic!' shock value.

Following Pym's reaction to this is another reason I'll stick with it - this is something that can carry his development beyond guilt over creating Ultron and get him to move on to exploring his creation of an entire new race, him realizing that each one of them is an individual deserving more consideration that simply 'wow, I made new form of life!' People who splice plants together make new forms of life - these beings are artists, scientists, etc.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Remender's Secret Avengers is phenomenal and if you're interested in AIs in the MU you need to read it

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Avengers #19 seemed too predictable, and the it was the side talk that actually was much more interesting than the plot:
    so J-Son, Quill's dad, is basically Udina and selling out the alliance and forsaking Earth only to have it bite them in the butt.

I was much more interested in the side things, like Nihilo creating busy work for refugees by sprouting crops and Abyss being much more rare than the Nihili, there's probably Chekhov's gun right there.

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular

My strongest reaction to Land's art in the first issue of Mighty Avengers is that he apparently lacks any images of African-American women to trace so just gave up when it came time to draw Monica Rambeau.

• Options
    Lawndart wrote: »

My strongest reaction to Land's art in the first issue of Mighty Avengers is that he apparently lacks any images of African-American women to trace so just gave up when it came time to draw Monica Rambeau.

Hell, there were a couple of Luke Cage shots that I swear he used for Tony Stark in Iron Man.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    So what was going on with that Captain Marvel flashback

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote: »

Motherfucking Greg Land.