As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Giant Bomb: Hey guys. I'm Batman.

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    you really ought to reconsider doing that

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Huntera wrote: »
    Huntera wrote: »
    YaYa wrote: »
    this sounds like a conversation that is going to devolve into the worst sort of argument

Let's talk about how I'm very seriously considering putting $500 toward the Mighty No. 9 kickstarter instead

I instantly put $100 down for Massive Chalice and I will stand by that decision forever

Even if the game itself is no good in the end

Hey same level buddies!

I also donated lesser amounts to the Space Quest and Tex Murphy kickstarters as well as the Drake Tracker.

Did you make sure to change your donor level to include the collector's edition box?

I think so?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    i have fun playing cards against humanity with my friends

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Cards Against Humanity is Apples to Apples with dirty words.

I really, really do not like it.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    CaH is to party games what CaH is to webcomics

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    I have to have someone else read the CaH cards for me.

Real bummer playing with a group that didn't know what heteronormativity was, my playing of that card was aces.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Apples to apples is all about trying to make the dirtiest sounding card combinations and I feel like CaH takes it to the logical conclusion

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    But therein lies the heart of it all: the challenge of Apples to Apples is to work to distort the cards into something scandalous that will amuse the judge. When EVERYTHING is scandalous, the work's already been done for you.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    when everyones super

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i was shocked to hear them say they have too many dick jokes.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    fun pax facts

the cards against humanity booth has a sign on it stating it's a trans safe place

specifically using the triangle logo to do so
    That is really surprising considering some of the cards in there

Eh, the game is just meant to be fun.

I highly doubt that any of the cards actually represent opinions held by the makers of the game.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    CaH is one of those games i need a good crowd and a time limit.
    It's not a game I wanna play for hours straight.

• Options
    what is the functional difference between someone who legitimately believes harmful views and someone who profits from the sale of a product containing harmful views but does not "believe" them

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »
    fun pax facts

the cards against humanity booth has a sign on it stating it's a trans safe place

I highly doubt that any of the cards actually represent opinions held by the makers of the game.

doesn't matter! they're still propagating it!

• Options
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    But therein lies the heart of it all: the challenge of Apples to Apples is to work to distort the cards into something scandalous that will amuse the judge. When EVERYTHING is scandalous, the work's already been done for you.

Apples to apples has a whole lot of downtime rounds due to its innocuous and broad based design, whereas every topic card in Cards Against Humanity has a minimum standard possible innuendo

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Bit off the topic now, but I'm gunna bring it back up again

Finished the LP of Analogue a Hate Story last night, coincidentally. I really liked it! Going to buy it and the sequel as soon as payday hits.
    Wished it were longer and more in depth, but for what appears to be mostly (entirely?) a single person job, it's quite good.

The romance between your main character and *Hyun-ae didn't sit super well with me. The actual situation came off as her being desperately lonely, and getting feelings based on that which were then perceived by her to be romantic. Or at least, this is what I got out of how quickly her feelings went from "relieved to have someone to talk to" to "I am in love with you."

I guess this could also be construed as commentary on how most visual novel romances progress, but when you don't subvert the trope and instead embrace it, it isn't really commentary. It's just the thing. It could also just be construed as Christina Love not having all the time in the world to develop a more nuanced romance. I dunno, but in the end it came off feeling more than a little undeserved. *Hyun-ae as a character is very good, so how bare-bones the romance felt just didn't sit well.

Loved everything else. The Patriarchy in the game was pretty blunt and obvious, not really (I say this as Not An Expert) comparable to the much more insidious and subtle offenses of modern day, but it still had me step back to think a little. I do kind of hope what Love presents in the sequel will hit closer to home, though. I worry a bit that people would play this game and basically go "WHEW THE PAST SURE WAS SUPER AWFUL, GLAD SEXISM IS CURED FOREVER HERE IN 2013 AND THAT I, AS A WHITE MALE, KNOW WE'RE ALL EQUAL AND HAPPY!"

• Options
    I think the issue is not anyone in this thread playing CaH, but the thousands of other people who don't realize that maybe mocking trans people isn't cool.

This stuff can easily reinforce shitty worldviews.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options

Finished the LP of Analogue a Hate Story last night, coincidentally. I really liked it! Going to buy it and the sequel as soon as payday hits.
    Wished it were longer and more in depth, but for what appears to be mostly (entirely?) a single person job, it's quite good.

The romance between your main character and *Hyun-ae didn't sit super well with me. The actual situation came off as her being desperately lonely, and getting feelings based on that which were then perceived by her to be romantic. Or at least, this is what I got out of how quickly her feelings went from "relieved to have someone to talk to" to "I am in love with you."

I guess this could also be construed as commentary on how most visual novel romances progress, but when you don't subvert the trope and instead embrace it, it isn't really commentary. It's just the thing. It could also just be construed as Christina Love not having all the time in the world to develop a more nuanced romance. I dunno, but in the end it came off feeling more than a little undeserved. *Hyun-ae as a character is very good, so how bare-bones the romance felt just didn't sit well.

Loved everything else. The Patriarchy in the game was pretty blunt and obvious, not really (I say this as Not An Expert) comparable to the much more insidious and subtle offenses of modern day, but it still had me step back to think a little. I do kind of hope what Love presents in the sequel will hit closer to home, though. I worry a bit that people would play this game and basically go "WHEW THE PAST SURE WAS SUPER AWFUL, GLAD SEXISM IS CURED FOREVER HERE IN 2013 AND THAT I, AS A WHITE MALE, KNOW WE'RE ALL EQUAL AND HAPPY!"
    it may be blunt and obvious but she based it heavily off attitudes towards women during the Joseon dynasty and it really was that bad

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular

it may be blunt and obvious but she based it heavily off attitudes towards women during the Joseon dynasty and it really was that bad
    Oh yeah, definitely. I mean, it worked really well in the game. I'd just really like to see her takes on the modern form(s) of patriarchy.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    is Daria a thing worth watching

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »

Eeeeh?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    I remember enjoying it in high school. But I haven't seen it since. So, maybe?

• Options
    fun pax facts

By that logic any commentary tracks on anything that may contain views, jokes, opinions, that aren't completely PC should be removed forthwith and that is ridiculous.

Should comedians not be allowed to sell DVDs/CDs of their standup specials? Where the hell would you draw the line?

• Options
    this sounds like a conversation that is going to devolve into the worst sort of argument

Let's talk about how I'm very seriously considering putting $500 toward the Mighty No. 9 kickstarter instead

Does anyone know if you can up your donation level after an initial donation

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    fun pax facts

By that logic any commentary tracks on anything that may contain views, jokes, opinions, that aren't completely PC should be removed forthwith and that is ridiculous.

Should comedians not be allowed to sell DVDs/CDs of their standup specials? Where the hell would you draw the line?

are you possibly mistaking the word "propagate" for a different word

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Daria was cool when I was a smartass teen that thought he knew better than everyone else.

As of now, it still has its moments here and there but I couldn't sit through the whole thing anymore.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

Absolutely, yes

One of my favorite series and a very, very small number of dud episodes

Plus the whole series is like $20 now and it comes with both TV movies

Absolutely worth it

It's also on Amazon Instant, I believe

• Options
    I'd be okay with completely excising anything I deem offensive, I do deem it offensive after all

life under my iron rule would first be turbulent but you would all learn to appreciate it

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    fun pax facts

Gotta blow the dust off of this one

strawman2.jpg

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    I'd be okay with completely excising anything I deem offensive, I do deem it offensive after all

life under my iron rule would first be turbulent but you would all learn to appreciate it

Everything Is Awful

• Options

Yes, you can manage your pledge up and down real easily

• Options
    i think i'm being fair in not outright demanding that we take all comedians who tell shitty bigotry-laden jokes and stuff them on a rocket to the edge of the milky way

• Options
    Paladin wrote: »

Yes, you can manage your pledge up and down real easily

Welp

60 now

up to 500 next paycheck unless I have an unexpected expense

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    i think i'm being fair in not outright demanding that we take all comedians who tell shitty bigotry-laden jokes and stuff them on a rocket to the edge of the milky way

Why would we reward people like that with a free trip to outer space

• Options

whoa rockets take up a lot of time and resources to make, we shouldn't just throw one away
    can't we just imprison them without trial

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    It holds up surprisingly well. The DVDs don't have the original music though, which is too bad (but understandable).

Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

I don't want to take the risk that Jim Norton and Nick DiPaolo end up seeing something cool

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    fun pax facts

are you possibly mistaking the word "propagate" for a different word

Those examples are also "propagating" the same types of things you may object to in Cards Against Humanity in many instances I would imagine.

Which is to say, they contain offensive materials and are products meant for entertainment. They don't actually have any larger agenda for subverting peoples outlooks or opinions though. That is some conspiracy theory level stuff.

• Options
    Dichotomy wrote: »

whoa rockets take up a lot of time and resources to make, we shouldn't just throw one away
    can't we just imprison them without trial

it's time to revisit my Gulag at the Bottom of the Pacific Ocean Plan

• Options

Why would we reward people like that with a free trip to outer space

No lie going into space would actually send me into a terror coma

I can't even handle deep sea travel

Anything where I can't see land sends me into a panic attack

Going to space sounds like a fucking nightmare

This discussion has been closed.