As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Giant Bomb: Hey guys. I'm Batman.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    i think i'm being fair in not outright demanding that we take all comedians who tell shitty bigotry-laden jokes and stuff them on a rocket to the edge of the milky way

whoa rockets take up a lot of time and resources to make, we shouldn't just throw one away
    can't we just imprison them without trial

Also the Sun is right there and would require much less fuel.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Making cards against humanity accountable for any and all possible card permutations and insinuations so derived is massively unfair to the game

However, if you wished to judge the content of a single card for its wording bar any context, resultant criteria can result in actionable feedback and may be worthwhile.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »
    fun pax facts

the cards against humanity booth has a sign on it stating it's a trans safe place

specifically using the triangle logo to do so
    That is really surprising considering some of the cards in there

Eh, the game is just meant to be fun.

I highly doubt that any of the cards actually represent opinions held by the makers of the game.

doesn't matter! they're still propagating it!

By that logic any commentary tracks on anything that may contain views, jokes, opinions, that aren't completely PC should be removed forthwith and that is ridiculous.

Should comedians not be allowed to sell DVDs/CDs of their standup specials? Where the hell would you draw the line?

are you possibly mistaking the word "propagate" for a different word

Those examples are also "propagating" the same types of things you may object to in Cards Against Humanity in many instances I would imagine.

Which is to say, they contain offensive materials and are products meant for entertainment. They don't actually have any larger agenda for subverting peoples outlooks or opinions though. That is some conspiracy theory level stuff.

okay let's try this again because you don't seem to be paying attention

it doesn't matter if the creators of CAH "believe" the awful shit that's printed on their cards - they're still printing them

they're still printing them, still enforcing the idea that it's okay to joke about that kind of stuff, and still making money off of it

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    i think i'm being fair in not outright demanding that we take all comedians who tell shitty bigotry-laden jokes and stuff them on a rocket to the edge of the milky way

whoa rockets take up a lot of time and resources to make, we shouldn't just throw one away
    can't we just imprison them without trial

it's time to revisit my Gulag at the Bottom of the Pacific Ocean Plan

I'd posit that plan is unfeasible in these current economic times

Might I suggest the more simple and cost efficient Kill & Compost For New Forests strategy?

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    why does cards against humanity get endlessly excused as being harmless and just for fun while stuff like duke nukem forever and the hotline miami 2 preview and whore of the orient gets roundly condemned

come on give me some consistency here people I'm getting confused

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    We could also try talking to people first to possibly make then realize how their view is bad before immediately jumping to murdering people.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    fun pax facts

the cards against humanity booth has a sign on it stating it's a trans safe place

I highly doubt that any of the cards actually represent opinions held by the makers of the game.

By that logic any commentary tracks on anything that may contain views, jokes, opinions, that aren't completely PC should be removed forthwith and that is ridiculous.

Should comedians not be allowed to sell DVDs/CDs of their standup specials? Where the hell would you draw the line?

Those examples are also "propagating" the same types of things you may object to in Cards Against Humanity in many instances I would imagine.

Which is to say, they contain offensive materials and are products meant for entertainment. They don't actually have any larger agenda for subverting peoples outlooks or opinions though. That is some conspiracy theory level stuff.

it doesn't matter if the creators of CAH "believe" the awful shit that's printed on their cards - they're still printing them

they're still printing them, still enforcing the idea that it's okay to joke about that kind of stuff, and still making money off of it

Yeah but in line with what he's saying, I can't think of anything enforcing the idea that it's okay to joke about that kind of stuff in a stronger way than comedians

Since comedians make money off of joking about that kind of stuff

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    We could also try talking to people first to possibly make then realize how their view is bad before immediately jumping to murdering people.

That would require judging someone on more than face value

Clearly that's ridiculous

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    why does cards against humanity get endlessly excused as being harmless and just for fun while stuff like duke nukem forever and the hotline miami 2 preview and whore of the orient gets roundly condemned

There's a joke here about the only consistency here being inconsistency but I'm not sure how to make it a good one

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Bit off the topic now, but I'm gunna bring it back up again

Finished the LP of Analogue a Hate Story last night, coincidentally. I really liked it! Going to buy it and the sequel as soon as payday hits.
    Wished it were longer and more in depth, but for what appears to be mostly (entirely?) a single person job, it's quite good.

The romance between your main character and *Hyun-ae didn't sit super well with me. The actual situation came off as her being desperately lonely, and getting feelings based on that which were then perceived by her to be romantic. Or at least, this is what I got out of how quickly her feelings went from "relieved to have someone to talk to" to "I am in love with you."

I guess this could also be construed as commentary on how most visual novel romances progress, but when you don't subvert the trope and instead embrace it, it isn't really commentary. It's just the thing. It could also just be construed as Christina Love not having all the time in the world to develop a more nuanced romance. I dunno, but in the end it came off feeling more than a little undeserved. *Hyun-ae as a character is very good, so how bare-bones the romance felt just didn't sit well.

Loved everything else. The Patriarchy in the game was pretty blunt and obvious, not really (I say this as Not An Expert) comparable to the much more insidious and subtle offenses of modern day, but it still had me step back to think a little. I do kind of hope what Love presents in the sequel will hit closer to home, though. I worry a bit that people would play this game and basically go "WHEW THE PAST SURE WAS SUPER AWFUL, GLAD SEXISM IS CURED FOREVER HERE IN 2013 AND THAT I, AS A WHITE MALE, KNOW WE'RE ALL EQUAL AND HAPPY!"
    The description for the achievement you get with that ending does point out the ridiculousness of *Hyun-ae deciding that she's ~in love~ with a total stranger.

• Options
    fun pax facts

Yeah but in line with what he's saying, I can't think of anything enforcing the idea that it's okay to joke about that kind of stuff in a stronger way than comedians

and fuck those guys, too!

i'm telling you, people

rocket to the edge of space

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

I acknowledge that they're all horrible, and support neither of them with my money.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
  • Options
    I only support extremes

murder everybody

nobody dies forever

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    fun pax facts

Right, and when an audience laughs at Louise CK saying something completely fucked up it could be skewed as enforcing the same notion.

But you know what, it is okay to joke about that kind of stuff anyway. They're just jokes. People are perfectly capable of contextualizing things. You don't seem to think so, obviously, but that is more your problem than anything.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
  • Options
    it's easy to say they're "just jokes" when it's not your existence being marginalized and mocked and reduced to a fucking punchline

"just jokes"

kiss my ass

• Options
    bring it back to CAH: what jokes? At least with Duke Nukem we got video.

• Options
    fun pax facts

Right, and when an audience laughs at Louise CK saying something completely fucked up it could be skewed as enforcing the same notion.

But you know what, it is okay to joke about that kind of stuff anyway. They're just jokes. People are perfectly capable of contextualizing things. You don't seem to think so, obviously, but that is more your problem than anything.

This is the same rationale people used when Tracy Morgan "joked" about killing his kid if he ever found out his kid was gay, when Michael Ian Black "joked" about the NRA in response to the news of a cop killing his family and then himself, when Joe Rogan "joked" about hating women over and over again

I'll believe they were jokes when they come out and say they were jokes and apologize. I think Morgan apologized, but he is in the absolute minority in that department.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    yeah the only takeaway is these terrible things are being labeled as terrible things

I'm glad I don't have to remember when they were socially acceptable

Xehalus on
  • Options
    Why wouldn't you just assume everything a comedian says on-stage is a joke

• Options
    it's all just jokes until someone goes and says "die cis scum"

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    fun pax facts

Exactly right. And its oftentimes self deprecating humor too.

Its kind of hard to get seriously wound up about issues that are at the core of someone who is willing to tear themselves a new one for the entertainment of others. Tig Natoro makes light of extremely turbulent things that have happened in her life in the special of hers in the current Humble Bundle. I haven't heard it yet of course, but from hearing her on Comedy Bang Bang before I'm extremely interested.

• Options

A person going to great lengths to detail that they would kill their gay child if they came out to their dad
    A person making a gun-control comment after a horrific tragedy on Twitter
    A person calling numerous women numerous horrible words

None of this seems like it's out of line to you, none of this seems to you like it could be taken as more than just a joke

Wow

• Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    Because I said it was a joke I don't have to be held accountable for hate speech, right?

xet8c.gif
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular

hmmm, this is a good question. I WANT to say CaH is way less offensive.
    But maybe it's because I only play with people that aren't terrible?

• Options
    Comedians are pretty much always "on"

Pretty much the entirety of their acts could be taken as more than just a joke if you tried

• Options
    all performers have agendas

and they put them on t-shirts these days

buy my "Fuck Everything" t-shirt 100% cotton

• Options
    Ooh, Brad Shoemaker GOTY Brothers hits PSN this week

• Options

A person going to great lengths to detail that they would kill their gay child if they came out to their dad
    A person making a gun-control comment after a horrific tragedy on Twitter
    A person calling numerous women numerous horrible words

None of this seems like it's out of line to you, none of this seems to you like it could be taken as more than just a joke

Wow

there's nothing comedy can't do if it's good enough

because not only is it a literary device, it's a coping mechanism

that's why you can take good things and comedy and bad things as also comedy, because it's a versatile transformation tool that anyone can use at any point in the process

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Even though I would, ironically, joke about it...I don't want people who make offensive jokes or hold offensive beliefs to die or kill themselves or be shot to Pluto...

I want them to better themselves.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Even though I would, ironically, joke about it...I don't want people who make offensive jokes or hold offensive beliefs to die or kill themselves or be shot to Pluto...

I want them to better themselves.

Don't joke about firing people into space

People will think you're actually propagating murder

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    The murder slingshot is not a joke, it's a presidential platform.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    it's all just jokes until someone goes and says "die cis scum"

It's pretty not okay to tell any race/sex/gender they should all die. It's not ok to want to kill people for being different.

Being in a minority group doesn't make it ok to tell everyone in the majority group they should be killed. Or vice versa.

Speaking this way only makes people of that group not listen to you, and stifles social changes to make all of these groups equal.

Each person is an individual, and should be treated as such, generalizations hurt everyone and promote treating people as "the other".

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    the joke with terrible stuff is usually pointing out how ignorant it is

but the difference between a good comedian and a bad comedian is choosing your adjectives

like I could have said stupid or retarded instead of ignorant

but that's terrible

• Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    man i can already see where this conversation is headed

i'll check back in, oh, maybe ten pages

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    Isoldae wrote: »
    Because I said it was a joke I don't have to be held accountable for hate speech, right?

Just make sure its really funny.
    it's easy to say they're "just jokes" when it's not your existence being marginalized and mocked and reduced to a fucking punchline

"just jokes"

kiss my ass

I've marganilized and reduced myself to "a fucking punchline" plenty of times before to make someone else laugh.

So someone else doing exactly that had better make it pretty scathing. Even still, chances are pretty damn good that would still be laughter to be had.

• Options
    hasn't the onion done an article before all "local man doesn't see what big deal is with bigotry, oppression"

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    gtrmp wrote: »
    Bit off the topic now, but I'm gunna bring it back up again

Finished the LP of Analogue a Hate Story last night, coincidentally. I really liked it! Going to buy it and the sequel as soon as payday hits.
    Wished it were longer and more in depth, but for what appears to be mostly (entirely?) a single person job, it's quite good.

The romance between your main character and *Hyun-ae didn't sit super well with me. The actual situation came off as her being desperately lonely, and getting feelings based on that which were then perceived by her to be romantic. Or at least, this is what I got out of how quickly her feelings went from "relieved to have someone to talk to" to "I am in love with you."

I guess this could also be construed as commentary on how most visual novel romances progress, but when you don't subvert the trope and instead embrace it, it isn't really commentary. It's just the thing. It could also just be construed as Christina Love not having all the time in the world to develop a more nuanced romance. I dunno, but in the end it came off feeling more than a little undeserved. *Hyun-ae as a character is very good, so how bare-bones the romance felt just didn't sit well.

Loved everything else. The Patriarchy in the game was pretty blunt and obvious, not really (I say this as Not An Expert) comparable to the much more insidious and subtle offenses of modern day, but it still had me step back to think a little. I do kind of hope what Love presents in the sequel will hit closer to home, though. I worry a bit that people would play this game and basically go "WHEW THE PAST SURE WAS SUPER AWFUL, GLAD SEXISM IS CURED FOREVER HERE IN 2013 AND THAT I, AS A WHITE MALE, KNOW WE'RE ALL EQUAL AND HAPPY!"
    The description for the achievement you get with that ending does point out the ridiculousness of *Hyun-ae deciding that she's ~in love~ with a total stranger.

Yep

Analogue
    7iFLxNx.jpg

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    hasn't the onion

yes

This discussion has been closed.