As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle. Now with more Ora! Ora! Ora!

AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
edited September 2013 in Games and Technology
I'm sure many people have been looking forward to a new Jojo game since the Dreamcast era. Finally we get another one.

zLw7Xeh.png

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle
Playstation 3
Developed by: Cyberconnect2 (.//hack Series, Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Series)
Published by: Namco Bandai
Release Date: JP: August 29 2013 - NA/EU: ???? 2014

Currently announced characters: (There may be spoilers for the series if you havent read/watched it)
Phantom Blood
Jonathan Joestar (Ripple User)
Will A. Zeppeli (Ripple User)
Dio Brando (Vampire)

Battle Tendency
Joseph Joestar (Ripple User)
Caesar A. Zeppeli (Ripple User)
Wham/Wamuu (Pillar Man)
Esidisi/ACDC (Pillar Man)
Kars/Cars (Pillar Man)

Stardust Crusaders
Jotaro Kujo (Stand: Star Platinum)
Mohammed Avdol/Abdul (Stand: Magician Red)
Noriaki Kakyoin (Stand: Hierophant Green)
J.P. Polnareff (Stand: Silver Chariot)
Hol Horse (Stand: The Emperor) Note: Hanged Man shows up in some of his specials
Dio Brando (Vampire, Stand: The World)

Diamond is Unbreakable
Josuke Higashikata (Stand: Crazy Diamond)
Okuyasu Nijimura (Stand: The Hand)
Kosaku Kawajiri (Kira) (Stand: Killer Queen)
Koichi Hirose (Stand: Echoes)
Akira Otoishi (Stand: Red Hot Chili Pepper)
Rohan Kishibe (Stand: Heaven's Door)

Vento Aureo
Giorno Giovanna (Stand: Gold Experience/Gold Experience Requiem)
Guido Mista (Stand: Sex Pistols)
Bruno Buccellati (Stand: Sticky Fingers)
Narancia Ghirga (Stand: Aerosmith)
Diavolo (Stand: King Crimson)

Stone Ocean
Jolyne Kujo (Stand: Stone Free)
Hermes Costello (Stand: Kiss)
Enrico Pucci (Stand: White Snake / C-Moon / Stairway to Heaven)

_ Current Universe_

Steel Ball Run
Johnny Joestar (Stand: Tusk)
Gyro Zeppeli (Steel Ball User, Stand: Ball Breaker)
Funny Valentine (Stand: D4C)

Jojolion
Josuke Higashikata (Stand: Soft & Wet)

---

Announced DLC Characters
Yoshikage Kira (Stand: Killer Queen)
Iggy (Stand: The Fool)
Shigekiyo Yangu (Stand: Harvest)
Pannacotta Fugo (Stand: Purple Haze)
Lisa Lisa (Ripple User)
Old Joseph (Stand: Hermit Purple)

---

Non-Jojo related Characters
Ikuro Hashizawa (Baoh) Note: Protagonist from one of Araki's previous manga series.

---

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Hirohiko Araki. It's been ongoing since 1986. The series consists of masculine posing and lots of fabulous.

Adellios on

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Loving the look of this, the art style is just spot on.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    The art style is interesting. Im not really sure what kind of game it is? Judging mostly 1v1 fights but is it more like street fighter type arcade story mode or is is along the lines of the Dbz games where each fight furthers a plot?

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I don't think we have any information on it beyond that video, honestly.

But my money is on the Street Fighter type. This isn't the first JoJo fighting game.

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    While I'm not that familiar with the series in general - I learned about it through watching the Capcom fighters (mind-blowing stuff back then with the Stand mechanics), watched a couple of Lets Plays of some Japan-only brawlers based on a few of the storylines and got a kick out of the hilarious abridged series of Stardust Crusaders - I have to say this a pretty damn cool looking game. If there's one thing CC2 does well it's presentation, and they have the style down perfectly. If it winds up being a great game, that's even better, although the chances of it being localized are pretty murky all things considered.

Still, damn fine way to make a title that captures the spirit of the series.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    CyberConnect is behind this, and they're the folks behind the recent Naruto games and Asura Wrath.

They're able to really translate the look and more importantly movement of anime and manga, so it'll look good. It does look like a tweak on the Naruto games, so I'm curious how different it'll be.

• Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    Think there'll be a 360 port? For the international market, if not Japan?

• Options
    There is a new video up on youtube. Sorry for not posting magazine updates but the video pretty much covers most of them.

http://youtu.be/HbdgjePSY0o

They're bringing back alot of Stardust Crusaders characters.
    I think it is currently only PS3 right now, I doubt it will get a port.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Oh man, I loved the Part 6 stuff. I just hope Foo Fighters is revealed soon.

I had a huge smile on my face during the whole video. I got a bit misty eyed as soon as ROAD ROLLER DA started.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Adellios wrote: »
    There is a new video up on youtube. Sorry for not posting magazine updates but the video pretty much covers most of them.

http://youtu.be/HbdgjePSY0o

They're bringing back alot of Stardust Crusaders characters.
    I think it is currently only PS3 right now, I doubt it will get a port.
    I dunno what the text in the video says, but all I see is manly, yet fabulous awesomeness. That's all I need to know.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Oh my god, the longer the video went on for the bigger my grin grew. <3

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    That looks so much better than I thought it would.

• Options
    Well, it is CyberConnect2, they have experience with this sort of game by now.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    As someone who's only seen a half dozen episodes of the 2012 Jojo, this trailer confuses me GREATLY.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    DeMoN wrote: »
    As someone who's only seen a half dozen episodes of the 2012 Jojo, this trailer confuses me GREATLY.

The 2012 anime is a reboot based on the very first story arc/generation of the manga, "Phantom Blood" (and continuing on to part two by the looks of it) and...yeah it ends up becoming very differant in later arcs, especially at part 3, "Stardust Crusaders" where the Stands were introduced and the original dreamcast fightning game was based on.

Each story arc or "part" is it's own self-contained storyline following a differant generation of the Jostar family line (or at least characters in someone related to it). And so far the game's been showing characters from the later parts

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    They have shown Joseph and other characters from Part 2 in earlier trailers, but it would still be almost impossible to recognize them from the two or three episodes of Part 2 that are out so far.

Johnathan has been shown in shadow in some trailers as well, he's just not officially revealed, though.

Well...
    Technically about 90% of him was in that trailer.

Actually, the character in the still image preview for that trailer is from Part 1...

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    bigwillchbigwillch Registered User regular
    Gah, Y U no xbox?

fss.png
    xbox GT: Big Will C H
  • Options
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Johnathan has been shown in shadow in some trailers as well, he's just not officially revealed, though.
    Well...
    <3

• Options
    "Maybe he ran outta steam and just rolled outta here. . ."
    Glal wrote: »
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Well...
    <3
    Pfft. Zeppeli-san or no sale.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNk296h8ekE&amp;list=PL8739263546E3D439

Also, because I'm surprised nobody's posted this yet. . .

• Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    so.... If I really wanted to understand this game finally (besides being one of my go-to arcade brawlers) What Manga/Anime should I look at first?

:winky:
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    I'm going to buy a PS3 just for this game, aren't I? Damn.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    Nalouto wrote: »
    so.... If I really wanted to understand this game finally (besides being one of my go-to arcade brawlers) What Manga/Anime should I look at first?

start at the beginning with JJBA, that'll give you the basic groundwork for how the series is set up and who the major players are.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    Nalouto wrote: »
    Part 1, Phantom Blood, is the beginning of the whole shebang, introducing Jonathan Joestar, Proper English Gentleman who winds up being antagonized by Dio Brando, sent to swindle the Joestar fortune from him and his father, an archeologist who discovered a strange stone mask in South America. When Dio fails, he discovers the mask has the ability to turn whoever wears it into a vampire with control of undead minions, and Jonathan, swearing vengeance against his rival, chases after him, but not before a man named William Antonio Zeppeli teaches him the martial arts technique of "Hamon" (or the "Ripple"), which is the only thing that can truly destroy creatures of darkness like Dio and his cronies. . . yeah, it's that kind of series.

• Options
    Part 1 is Fist of the North Star with Vampires.
    Part 2 is extra fabulous Fist of the North Star with Super Vampires.
    Part 3, generally the most popular, is completely different. The Stands all basically have (usually) one (usually) well defined power. You have your typical five man group (plus animal sidekick) that all fill a roll. The fights are interesting, because they emphasize planning, quick thinking and teamwork to counter each new Stand's ability when they only have their set ability to work with. For example, not going into too much detail, one fight has Polnareff and Jotaro, who excel at close combat, outmatched by a swordsman. The attacker avoids attacking when the others with ranged attacks are able to help. They're just managing to avoid total defeat when they eventually realize...
    They can just disarm him, and without the sword, he's no threat. His only power was being great at fighting with this particular sword.

Of course, then the attacker reveals another twist to how this limited power works, which they then have to work around by using their powers in another interesting way, and so on.

I think Part 2 is the best, and for 2 and 3 to have the right impact you really need to read 1 as well. However, there's no reason you can't just start with Part 3 if you're mainly interested in the version from the game. The powers and plot from 1 and 2 don't make too much of an appearance, and the exceptions are either well explained or unimportant enough to be glossed over. You'll mostly miss references.

Also, be prepared for EVERY NAME EVER to be a reference, usually to music.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Well according to your description, the newest anime is currently on part 2. Which I'm watching and enjoying very much.

And seriously all the music references are great.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Yes! Joseph as the main character is Part 2. He's one of the main team in Part 3 and shows up a few times in Part 4 as well. He continues to be badass well into his 70's.

Part 2 is my favorite, and I'm hoping the anime is going to do it justice. So far, so good.

Expect the budget to skyrocket for Part 3, Japan really, really, really likes Part 3.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Well according to your description, the newest anime is currently on part 2. Which I'm watching and enjoying very much.

And seriously all the music references are great.

To make it less confusing, the fight going on in 0:56 in the first video is between Joseph and one of the antagonists.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    New Video!

http://youtu.be/40BH5a5ltfY

Also the game will be out in Japan on August 29th:
    Siliconera wrote:
    JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle will be available as a standalone game for 7,980 yen ($85) and as a 16,980 yen ($182) special edition. The limited edition includes a Jotaro figure, a gold plate with an illustration drawn by Hirohiko Araki, and soundtrack CD (White Snake style) packaged in a special box.

First print copies of the limited edition and vanilla game also include DLC codes for a Hayato Kawajiri memo book and Yoshikage Kira.

w2Q8P3Il.jpg

Adellios on
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Shenl742 wrote: »
    Each story arc or "part" is it's own self-contained storyline following a differant generation of the Jostar family line (or at least characters in someone related to it). And so far the game's been showing characters from the later parts

Well as of Part 7 we're dealing with alternate realities as well and the entire world was basically reset in 6 sooooooooooo.......

C2B on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    All I know about Jojo is from the Dreamcast game. I had no idea the franchise spanned that many generations. The game looks incredible.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    I really want this game. It needs to get brought over here, because there's no way I can afford to import that. It will also sell very well and be very hard to find.

I think the series is popular enough to localize it. They brought over the HD remake of the Dreamcast game, after all. I don't think any company has gotten the rights to bring over the anime, though, which would really help.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    There are a few commercials floating around for the game. It's basically the scene in Stardust Crusaders where Jotaro fights D'arby but they're talking about All Star Battle instead.

ACDC and Caesar A. Zeppeli were announced. It's likely that Cars will be playable or a boss (?) but no word yet. Possibly waiting for anime to end to announce it.

EDIT 1: Koichi and Akira announced. A bit surprising really. Hopefully we get Buccellati then!
    EDIT 2: Rohan and C/Kars announced.

Adellios on
  • Options
    I'm a bit behind but have another character video.

http://youtu.be/Dc2Xl9P_AIY

Have some gameplay with bots.

http://youtu.be/pcgU3OfG3To

This game looks so good.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Mmm, Za Warudo.

From the first video, I noticed the August release date, but it mentioned something about 6/18 - is this out in Japan already or is that what the August date is about?

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited July 2013
    August is the Japan launch date. Not sure on the 6/18 deal as I've been away for most of the month.

Adellios on
  • Options
    Yep, I'm really excited for this, still. Holding out the slim hope that this comes to America so I don't have to import it. But I have my preorder in anyway.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Horseback battle? Eeeeeeeeee!

• Options
    Well it certainly does looks true to the source material: Beat somebody down brutally, do a dramatic pose and then taunt them for added effect. Damn if it doesn't look slick, though.

• Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    Famitsu gave this a 40/40. Out next week!

• Options
    Apparently the game is filled to the brim with references. It's amazing that they could fit so much into one game.

Here are the last two previews that I've missed.

http://youtu.be/hRUpMdiPL28

http://youtu.be/s4Jpidk3xEI

Still trying to find some good gameplay vids now that the game is out but it might take a bit.

• Options
    My copy is in the mail. So expensive...

Hopefully it's easy enough to play. Although I'll have to look online to see all the fun quotes I'm missing.

uyvfOQy.png