As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hellgate: London] Hellgate Tokyo is a go 9/22

1235»

• Shifty_CalhounShifty_Calhoun Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I found out this game came back online last weekend and started playing as an engineer and I have to say I am loving sniper rifles and rocket bots.

Shifty_Calhoun on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Playing a blademaster, level 7 or something, and this game so far is really simplistic. Hold down left mouse, things die. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it reminds me of Onechanbara in a good way. It's also nice that there's all sorts of loot to be looted, even if most of it seems to be kind of useless.

Those messengers of Hell or whatever that spawn every now and then are fun, especially when they die and spawn more of themselves. Also they explode in a shower of loot which is always entertaining.

reVerse on
  • MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Is the minigame still active? You know, where you kill enemies a certain way a certain number of times and get loot for it?

Morvidus on
  • Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It is indeed still active, or at least was in the beta, haven't played live yet.

Amikron Devalia on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I don't understand... is this f2p?

Sort of. For the most part it is a f2p cash-shop model, but you do have to spend $4 to progress after Act 2.

Tip for new players: it is fairly important that you plan out your character talent spec by the time you are ~lvl10 (the sooner the better), due to the relatively small number of points we get compared to the full tree. You really have to pick and choose carefully, and respecs cost $10.

There is a talent spec thing here which is up-to-date as far as I can tell.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So is this game online only? I rather enjoy playing these sort of games both online and offline (cause it's not like I can play online when I'm on ze boat).

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yes it's online only. You can still play the old one offline obviously, but you don't get the "additions" that the new overlords put in.

Amikron Devalia on
  • darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hahaha $10 for respecs. Fucking brutal. I need to redownload this, give it another go.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Was there even respecs at all in the original game? I know there wasn't offline, but I thought there wasn't online either.

$10 is kind of steep; but it's probably cheaper ("time is money, friend"), for most people, than simply starting an entirely new character to fix dickups or noob builds.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if they made sweeping changes to a class (not saying it'll happen) totally screwing over a build, and then proceeded to simply point to the store for a respec if you want to save your character instead of simply giving a reset when they make said changes.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• meowmix_2000meowmix_2000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Is there a cleric-type class? Something that heals or at least buffs? How about a melee class with a shield?

meowmix_2000 on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    micro transactions are a thing of the past, we're in macro transactions now, $70 monocles incoming!

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Is there a cleric-type class? Something that heals or at least buffs? How about a melee class with a shield?

No cleric type class really.

However, Templar has a healing aura and iirc a direct heal; but it's not what the class is based around.

Incidentally it's also the sword/board class you're asking about so there you go.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    I am up to lvl 8 with my Hunter. Just like I remember it. :D

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Ha I was tossing out some magazines the other day, one had this on the cover, inside was a code for a free pet.

• mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    Enig wrote:
    I don't understand... is this f2p?

Sort of. For the most part it is a f2p cash-shop model, but you do have to spend $4 to progress after Act 2.

The $4 item that allows entrance to Act 3 and beyond is tradable in-game, so if you really want, you can grind up enough in-game money to buy one from someone else.

• EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    I played this back in the day offline and enjoyed it for quite awhile, so when I saw this thread I downloaded and had a go. Wow the textures in the streets are bad. But it's still fun, the new loot minibosses that pop up are a nice touch, and it's worth playing if only to see the hilarious bad english quest text on the new questgivers.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    So, uhh, whats a good build for engineer? I dumped 1 point into the slowmo bots thing, but thats it.

Still not entirely sure what to do with this guy. Any advice would be tops. Tops, good sirs.

steam_sig.png
  • IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    When I played, before it went under, I had the rocket bots and the skill that made them crash and explode on dudes. I put points in the drone but I can't remember exactly how many. I do remember it having armor, a gun and wirt's leg.

The strikes were fun. Shock and Awe was amazing if you could time it right.

IvanIssacs on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The drone is supposedly best for tanking, and not worth it for DPS or healing/buffing. The bots seem to be considered good, especially the ones that give the group haste. There is a limit on how many bot types you can have out at once (3 or 4, I think). It seems the strikes need a pretty heavy investment to be worth it, and therefore possibly precluding one of the other trees.

The official forums seem to have some advice on builds, though how solid the advice actually is, I have no idea. Here is what I am going with for what it's worth. The idea for my build is support-oriented bots, tank-oriented drone, and a light mix of spec ops, heavy on Beacon to increase overall DPS on top of the haste bots.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    Greetings,

Please be informed that due to an existing partnership between Hanbitsoft and local publishers, the IPs of the following countries will be blocked from accessing Hellgate Global:

Korea, Japan, China, Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macao.

If you still encounter the said error message and you are not from the said countries, please send us an email to hellgatesupport@t3fun.com.

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Now that I think about it, I seem to remember having this problem with a few other MMOs. Stupid rules.

camo_sig2.png
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Wow, they are just now blocking countries? What if they spent money and have spare fake-money they can't spend now?

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Anyone else going to be joining me in playing Tokyo when its released?

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I still have my original game box for this. God so much potential. How is it these days? Has it changed at all since release, or just bug fixes mostly?

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    I don't know about you guys, but I'm having a lot of trouble just logging in.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I wonder if my old account info is valid...

Time to find out !

I really enjoyed Hellgate when it was out. Until The Dark Times...

• EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    AS far as I remember this re-released version stripped out all the graphics of the original. I tried it and it was sinfully ugly in comparison. I actually thought this game might have died entirely. When I tried to play back in 2011 barely anyone was playing it.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    AS far as I remember this re-released version stripped out all the graphics of the original. I tried it and it was sinfully ugly in comparison. I actually thought this game might have died entirely. When I tried to play back in 2011 barely anyone was playing it.

The graphics haven't changed since the original, they look surprisingly good still.

The game is populated by Koreans now, though there are still some people from the US playing still.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Did they ever fix the massive amounts of Engrish in all the new content?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • BluemindBluemind Registered User regular
    By fix do you mean added more?

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm a little confused. This game was pretty poopy. What on earth are they selling at this point, several YEARS after the poopy game was poop.

What is this I don't even.
  • KhezKhez Registered User regular
    woah they opened the server back up? I still have this game when it was released a few years ago then they turned off the server cause of funding issues lol.

76561197967286566.png

Psn: Khezaf
    Wildstar: MeHealU
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Roe wrote: »

The graphics haven't changed since the original, they look surprisingly good still.

The game is populated by Koreans now, though there are still some people from the US playing still.

What are you talking about they werent chaged? When i played the highest settings were the same as the lowest in the original, and it wouldn't go any higher. They had completely removed DX10 as well as dumbed all the graphics waaaay down. Did they change this in an update I just didnt know about? If i remember right they also for some reason re-translated all the english content into engrish and made it awful.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    This game existed and was fun.

Then it got canned.

Then it got bought by a Japanese company and brought back to life.

Then they really shit all over it by adding content which doesn't make sense, isn't thematic, and doesn't consider any kind of balance or progression.

Now it's a bad game which isn't fun.

I started a new character and I'm having fun. I haven't seen the end game yet, is it really that bad?

oHw5R0V.jpg
    Do they still have the bit where you kill X monsters and a boss spawns on top of you for you to kill?

If so, that's the game. Those bosses are above the level of the area and will drop the best loot you can get. There is litereally no point to play other than to kill dumb monsters to fill up the bar to kill the random rare/special/unique boss that spawns when you fill up the bar.

Plus there's that one underground area with really terrible lighting.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Do they still have the bit where you kill X monsters and a boss spawns on top of you for you to kill?

If so, that's the game. Those bosses are above the level of the area and will drop the best loot you can get. There is litereally no point to play other than to kill dumb monsters to fill up the bar to kill the random rare/special/unique boss that spawns when you fill up the bar.

Plus there's that one underground area with really terrible lighting.

Well, it sounds like they got the Hell part right.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    And unless they majorly overhauled the inventory system, be ready to try to cut your wrists with pixels, because oh my god the inventory management was terrible.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I kind of want to go back and play single player, but I know it's going to be entirely boring and I won't get far. I'd have forgotten this game entirely if I hadn't caved on installing Origin when that humble bundle came out and it was listed in my games.

On the upside, maybe that means EA won't charge me 2 bucks to download it.