As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Denizen [mini-Phalla]: Minotaur (and living Village) WIN!

AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspectiveWatching the ego workRegistered User regular
edited September 2013 in Critical Failures
The adventurers approached the ruins in a group, chatting amongst themselves and checking the gear they'd bought from those charming twin merchants back in town. A few of them, veterans of their trade, had thought it was odd that the merchants had declined to accompany them, but their leader assured them their quest was certain to succeed even so.
The thick overgrowth around the ruins was no match for their prowess, nor were the giant ants whose nest they disturbed while navigating it; after some quick work by the barbarians and rangers, the entrance to an ancient brick pavilion stood exposed. Suddenly, a guttural call was heard, an arrow buzzed through the air, and a death-cry split the silence. One of their number, a wizard, lay dead in the brush, a crudely-fletched arrow sticking out of his chest. The fleeing hobgoblin didn't get far before a cunning rogue put a dagger in its throat. Now forwarned, the adventurers tightened their formation and proceeded into the ruins.
The other hobgoblins, meanwhile, scattered into the ruins to plot their revenge.

hobgoblin_zpsfd0ffd69.jpg
What is this?
Phalla is Penny Arcade's version of the party game Mafia. This is a mini phalla, constructed for 25 players. If you are new to the game, you may want to read a more detailed description and ruleset here. For this game's purposes, the basic rules should be understood to work like this:
- You may not screenshot any conversation in an attempt to confirm anything.
- You may not add anyone to an already established pm chain.
- You may make one "ghost post" when you die, which may not contain any game information, and then you may not speak on game events any longer.
- If you create any proboards, you must invite the hosts.
- You must include the hosts in any pms you have with other players. Be sure to include Gizzy if mechanics or actions are discussed.
- Editing a vote post invalidates it; invalid votes must be replaced with valid votes.
- You must vote for a player each day until directed otherwise. Going two days without making at least one post and a vote post will result in your removal from the game.

Voting
Each day, vote for another player (preferably one that you believe to be part of the mafia) in Bold Red. The player with the most red votes at the end of the day will be encounter the Adventurers and be removed from the game. Votes close and days end at 10:30 EST; vote and action posts and PMs with a later timestamp will be considered invalid. A results summary will appear shortly thereafter, with narration following later that night / in the early morning.

What's going on in this game? (read this part, kime)

This is a slightly unusual phalla: while it is a mafia versus village set-up and includes standard-issue specials, victory is dependent on the final status of the Adventurers rather than surviving faction numbers. The villagers are hobgoblins and other monstrous inhabitants of the ruins who just want to be left alone; the mafia are ancient spirits that haunt these ruins and a share an agenda. This phalla is inspired by Zombie Hero, Gizzy, and Locus' excellent work on Dungeon Phalla and Dungeon Phalla 2, and repurposes some narrative features of them. Gizzy has been excellent enough to offer to help co-host this one since I'm a vampire and all. This game includes vote manipulation in various forms.

Adventurers
The adventurers have a total of 25 health. They do not do damage directly, instead encountering and fighting the winner of each night's red vote as they explore the ruins, which will prove fatal to the vote-winner. At the end of Day 7, if they have not been reduced to zero health (causing a village victory) they will reach their objective and the game will end in a village loss.

Example Village PM
Hobgoblin Looter

You are a hobgoblin looter. You entered the tomb complex with your tribe in search of treasure, but you've spread out throughout the ruins and lost track of one another. Now, with the arrival of the adventurers, the spirits of the tomb are stirring. You are not possessed, and may either work to hinder the adventurers or search for treasure every night.
You are victorious if the adventurers are eliminated or the tomb's restless spirits (the mafia) are all defeated. If you confront the adventurers (are killed by the vote) you will deal 2 damage to them before expiring.

Ambushing and Searching for Treasure
Each night villagers can work to endanger and mislead the adventurers or simply look for items in the ruins that might be of use. The precise results of these actions will become clear as the game goes on, but the total number of villagers participating in each activity is the major factor and more is better in either case. The results of the adventurers' explorations and any items found will be revealed once full narrations appear each night.

- To sign up, make a post with bold lime green text. Upon receiving your role pm, you are encouraged to choose a name for your character.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Auralynx on

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Roster
    1. MrTLicious
    4. jdarksun
    5. Trust
    6. Mikey CTS
    8. JPants
    11. TheRoadVirus
    13. kime
    16. Zombie Hero
    17. Buddha73
    20. ObiFett
    21. The Anonymous
    22. Megafrost
    24. Lucedes

2. Assuran
    3. Egos
    7. Grunt's Ghosts
    9. Cythraul
    10. CesareB
    12. Gandalf_the_Crazed
    14. vertroue
    15. KetBra
    18. Bedlam
    19. enlightenedbum
    23. Mill
    25. SaberOverEasy

Reserve:
    premium

Clarifications:
    More hobgoblins searching means more and better treasure will be found. Only people who are searching may receive treasure, and not everyone who searches will. It is never bad to find treasure.

Names will be used to pseudoanonymize events that occur in narration.

There is no possible negative consequence to searching for treasure. The uses to which it is put once found are out of my hands.

Any consequences associated with hindering the adventurers are the result of choices made by a player or players.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    woooo

• AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    The honor of the Dhakanni must be upheld.

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    will abide

• TrustTrust Registered User regular

We Stand Ready
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Adventurers are just self-righteous home invaders.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Must bring honor to my kind!

• JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Sure, sign me up!

• CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    [excitement]Hobgobhobgob[/excitement]

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Reserve
    Full time job + part time school + kid + pregnant wife = not much free time

• CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    Well obviously

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    RAAAAAAAID BOSS! MEEEDLYEMEWROOOWNARRRRR

• Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Non-standard win condition, eh?

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I only had to read the part that you told me too, right?

<3

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    My name wasn't anywhere, so I didn't read shit!

• vertrouevertroue I am Female Totes Not a SithRegistered User regular
    O.o I am soooo in

Blood and Fire
    From the Desk of Darth Vertroue Diplomat to the USA.
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    premium wrote: »
    Reserve
    Full time job + part time school + kid + pregnant wife = not much free time

So you're saying your time's at a...
    premium?

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Boo!

Terrible joke!

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Was going to take time off after my most recent crash and burn, but the allure of being a hobgoblin is too great.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    Crash and burn?

What have I missed since I've been gone?

• Buddha73Buddha73 Registered User regular
    Shiny!

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Crash and burn?

What have I missed since I've been gone?

Just me logging on after getting back from dragon, and changing the votes such that a village win became a mafia win.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    So basically 'the game in general.'
    Ain't no thing, man.

Omg omg omg my grudge is back!!!! TRV!!!!

Blood and Fire
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    STICK 'EM WITH THE POINTY END!

Do I even have a grudge currently? I think I missed the last couple games. Which of you fuckers have recently screwed me over?

Can I just say after reading that all star game that ilu guys so much.

There is no joy in their game at all.

I don't think I have any reason to be grudged at the moment?
    Who knows. Oh well. I'll kill you all. With my flexing.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    signup

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    Do I even have a grudge currently? I think I missed the last couple games. Which of you fuckers have recently screwed me over?
    Id offer to grudge you but hipster cat is way too adorable. I might have to cuddle you instead.

Trv you and Jdark are day 1 premagrudges

Blood and Fire
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Hey Jdark, let's do rend deals. But behind closed doors so it is trustworthy and secret.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Assuran wrote: »

Don't worry, I've already ensured that nobody will have any fun at all in this game. It's secretly not about hobgoblins and traps and such, it's about medieval scavenging economics and subsistence patterns in a foraging ecology.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

OOOOH, DUNGEON CRAWL!

There are some people who might find that fun.

Auralynx wrote: »
    Assuran wrote: »

Don't worry, I've already ensured that nobody will have any fun at all in this game. It's secretly not about hobgoblins and traps and such, it's about medieval scavenging economics and subsistence patterns in a foraging ecology.

I just found out, thanks to some extensive genealogy work by my parents, that I am Archduke of the Internet. As such, I come with the requisite experience and power to properly rule over some peons. I'm ready for this. I WAS BORN READY. It is in my blood!

torgue4-540x293.png

Mikey CTS wrote: »
    There are some people who might find that fun.

I figured I'd be one of those, since I'm a dirty heathen who's favorite board game is Diplomacy of all things, but I don't. Honestly, I think it's some of the language they are using, which we briefly discussed in the other thread. The language used is really off-putting.

And with that, I don't want to derail this thread. I'm more than happy to discuss that game over on the spectator board set up linked in the main phalla thread.