As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2014 Information & FAQ. READ THIS FIRST THEN ASK QUESTIONS HERE.

• Options
    mayapplemayapple TennesseeRegistered User regular
    orchid wrote: »
    My two siblings and I were thinking about attending PAX East 2014, and I was wondering if casual gamers are just as welcome as experienced ones? Not to mention teens? (Two of us would be minors, 15)

My siblings know quite a bit when it comes to games. While I enjoy playing/learning about them (mostly card games/tabletop), I'm not as into it as them, so I was wondering if I would still enjoy myself.

My husband is I guess what you would call an "experienced" gamer and I guess I would fall in the "moderate" title, all though, I play a much higher variety than he does. My sis-in-law doesn't play any games and her boyfriend is the "I play madden" zone. We dragged them along for a day last year and they loved it. Not only cause we were visiting from out of town and they got to hang out with us, but also because PAX is a bit of a show. It is entertaining. It has bright lights and people dressed up, and a lot to try and play. I mean, why do people go to a carnival or something. If you go with an open mind, you'll have a blast.

e6txb8m8cavf.png

• Options
    FireWaterFireWater Registered User regular
    PAX is for all gamers, regardless of medium, whether its table top, console or PC.

• Options
    PhoenixOriginalPhoenixOriginal MississaugaRegistered User new member
    Were can I buy a Pass?? :rotate:

• Options
    OtokumaOtokuma Registered User regular
    Would it be a good idea to start reserving flights, or are the dates subject to change?

• Options
    AngrypastaAngrypasta Registered User regular
    The dates are almost certainly locked in, but airline prices fluctuate, so you may be able to get a cheaper dealer a little bit closer (but not too close) to the date of the event.

• Options
    ams349ams349 Registered User new member
    so i was going to have me and my friend (we are both 16)come to pax and i was wondering around how much would it cost for the hotel rooms for 3 nights and how much spending money i should bring, not only this but when is the best time to try and reserve a hotel room and thing of this nature

• Options
    Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    ams349 wrote: »
    so i was going to have me and my friend (we are both 16)come to pax and i was wondering around how much would it cost for the hotel rooms for 3 nights and how much spending money i should bring, not only this but when is the best time to try and reserve a hotel room and thing of this nature

On Peak hotels were approximately $150-$210/night if I remember correctly. Generally the closer you were to the convention the higher the price was but hotel costs are influenced by more than proximity. The hotel deals usually go on sale when tickets go on sale. When is that? I have no clue :D

This space for rent
  • Options
    ams349ams349 Registered User new member
    well i will be driving to the convention center and i have a gps, what would you recommend for distance(of hotel) from the convention center?

• Options
    GreenizdabestGreenizdabest Southeast CT - USARegistered User regular
    well i will be driving to the convention center and i have a gps, what would you recommend for distance(of hotel) from the convention center?

I'd aim for the Westin or the Seaport as your absolute best shot (Westin is attached to the BCEC, Seaport is a ~5 minute straight-shot walk). Otherwise aim for something in the financial district, which is a slightly longer walk. I don't recommend driving in Boston once you get there.

• Options
    KythosKythos Mister. Registered User regular

I'd aim for the Westin or the Seaport as your absolute best shot (Westin is attached to the BCEC, Seaport is a ~5 minute straight-shot walk). Otherwise aim for something in the financial district, which is a slightly longer walk. I don't recommend driving in Boston once you get there.

Second on the not driving bit. Granted I only drove for a few hours, but they were the worst few driving hours of my life. Would not do it again.

PAX East 2017: Badge [X] Lodging [X] Plane Tickets [X] Time Off [X]

XBL/PSN: MiFengXia Twitter: @MiFengXia 3DS: 2423-3603-7854 Steam: Kythos
  • Options
    AlteredSoulAlteredSoul Registered User regular
    I haven't seen these questions asked, but if they have, well then direct me to them and I will gladly delete this post!

I have been to two PAX Easts so far, first time just a day, second time for a couple and stayed at a hotel further than my buddy and I would like to this year. This time around, we would LOVE to stay at the closer hotels (the Westin attached to the BCEC would be sweet!). We noticed that all the days for the PAX East 2014 dates are blocked out, does that make it so that we can only book rooms through the PAX East website? Which hotels does the website typically book to? How much is each room per night on average? Can you get a room if you book the day the site opens up for it or do they go faster than the PAX passes themselves?

Thanks for the help! Excitedly awaiting for PAX East 2014 Registration to open up!

• Options
    DelaneyDelaney Registered User regular
    Driving in Boston is every bit as horrible as anyone has ever said based on my experience last year, which was my first PAX. I only drove as much as needed to get to the city plus getting to a non-PAX related event on Sunday. There's no way I'd consider driving back and forth from the BCEC each day. Assuming the vehicular insanity didn't drive one mad, finding and paying for parking would probably tip the balance. If there's an earlier Sonic line that doesn't make people miss out on Pre-PAX events, I'm seriously thinking of taking the train this year and ditching driving altogether.

I found that buying a Charlie Card and using the T was a great option. This did entail some walking, but that gave me a chance to see a little of Boston. There's also a shuttle system from various hotels to the BCEC which I'll probably pay more attention to this year. Finally, based off of the one taxi I needed to use after the Saturday night concerts, as long as one was staying within a reasonable distance from the BCEC, it wouldn't cost that much more for taxis than it would for parking assuming any could be found, and it'd save a ton of hassle.

"I will participate in the game. It's a wonderful, wonderful opera, except that it hurts." - Joseph Campbell

Steam: delaney_a

• Options
    pilferkpilferk Master of Unlocking CTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    My wife and I booked the Hyatt harborside about a week ago for the dates. Running about 189 a night. There's some relatively easy transport using the airport and the t to get to bcec. It's not our first choice...but they only require a cc # to reserve...no deposit..and we can cancel if we find something closer, or in the Convention block, when the hotel site goes up.
    We could also cab it...about 15 each way with toll and tip...if we really don't want to deal with the shuttle and t.

pilferk on
  • Options
    AlteredSoulAlteredSoul Registered User regular
    pilferk wrote: »
    My wife and I booked the Hyatt harborside about a week ago for the dates. Running about 189 a night. There's some relatively easy transport using the airport and the t to get to bcec. It's not our first choice...but they only require a cc # to reserve...no deposit..and we can cancel if we find something closer, or in the Convention block, when the hotel site goes up.
    We could also cab it...about 15 each way with toll and tip...if we really don't want to deal with the shuttle and t.

How did you book for the dates, I tried and it is saying it is sold out or not yet available.

• Options
    pilferkpilferk Master of Unlocking CTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Right from the Hyatt website.I think we originally found it on Travelocity. Looking at the site now, it's not showing as available anymore...but we have a confirmation number. I was second guessing but we checked our conf and it is def for the right dates.
    We booked a business plan king.

pilferk on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Once PAX books up the hotels with its third party provider, it's best to go through that provider (OnPeak) in order to get one of the close hotels. The good close hotels (Westin Waterfront, Seaport, Renaissance) go pretty fast, average is probably 170-200/night? I don't remember precisely.

• Options
    stardust462stardust462 Leominster, MARegistered User regular
    Last year I paid $185 per night plus 14.45% in taxes at the Westin Waterfront for a room with two double beds.

• Options
    PurpleSkyPurpleSky Registered User regular
    So PAX East isn't going to be a 4 day affair like its big brother? I was really hoping it would be. The 4 days at this year's prime were great! Oh well :(

• Options
    BearTheHumanBearTheHuman Registered User regular
    PurpleSky wrote: »
    So PAX East isn't going to be a 4 day affair like its big brother? I was really hoping it would be. The 4 days at this year's prime were great! Oh well :(

If I'm not mistaken, part of the reason this is, is because the convention center in Boston can actually fit quite a bit more people? I've been to both Prime and East (missed passes this year for Prime, unfortunately), and I can say that the Convention Center in Boston is much larger than the one in Seattle.

• Options
    PurpleSkyPurpleSky Registered User regular
    Yeah the Boston Convention center is rather large. Could it also be because a contract with Boston is already in place and 3 days are what Boston expects?

• Options
    Boston contract is 10 years is it not?

• Options
    Also how long after the twitter announcement do tickets go on sale? Is it immediate or do they announce a few days ahead of time?

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Immediate, although they may do a "sooooooooooooon" announcement.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    sirmrejsirmrej Seattle areaRegistered User regular
    Prime was super fun, and I'm still catching up on sleep and getting over Prime Sniffles. However...I want East to be here now! I want to go!

• Options
    atiariatiari Registered User regular
    I've got a few questions since I haven't been to PAX East since the inaugural one (which was amazing btw). First up I'm wondering if someone picked up the torch I started with the first PAX East and had the Pre-PAX Gaming Night at the hotel connected to the convention center. It was the Sheraton at at that one, and they were very accommodating for us including opening up a huge block of tables for us once we realized there were well over a hundred people getting in on tabletop/card games the night before the show opened.

My other main question was if anyone knew who ran the Magic the Gathering events the last few years, and if they are going to continue this year. I'm a level 1 judge now and looking to add to my resume and there's no better place than PAX because of the community.

• Options
    TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    atiari wrote: »
    I've got a few questions since I haven't been to PAX East since the inaugural one (which was amazing btw). First up I'm wondering if someone picked up the torch I started with the first PAX East and had the Pre-PAX Gaming Night at the hotel connected to the convention center. It was the Sheraton at at that one, and they were very accommodating for us including opening up a huge block of tables for us once we realized there were well over a hundred people getting in on tabletop/card games the night before the show opened.

My other main question was if anyone knew who ran the Magic the Gathering events the last few years, and if they are going to continue this year. I'm a level 1 judge now and looking to add to my resume and there's no better place than PAX because of the community.
    LexiconGrrl has picked up the Pre-PAX gaming night for East, and it's in the Westin (attached to the BCEC.) I don't remember who was running the m:tg stuff at East though.

• Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    atiari wrote: »

It's been TJ Collectibles for the whole run of East, I believe, although I admit to not actually paying any attention to it in 2013.

• Options
    sirmrej wrote: »
    Prime was super fun, and I'm still catching up on sleep and getting over Prime Sniffles. However...I want East to be here now! I want to go!
    Please keep this thread for Q&A.

• Options
    El Rey HeladoEl Rey Helado Registered User new member
    Hi, first time going to pax (hopefully), I have a quick question about hotel room sharing.

Looking at the spreadsheet from last year, it seems most hotels charge around $20 per night per extra guest over 2. Is this a mandatory fee that I must pay just to have them in the room, or do I only pay this if I want extra room keys?

Apologies if this is a silly question, and thanks in advance for your help.

• Options
    aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    It would be an extra fee for having the extra person in the room. Say if the rate was $120 per night, it would be $140 per night due to the additional person in the room. The person whose credit card is holding the room would be charged the fee so if sharing I expect you would want to take this into account or else be stuck with the additional fee.

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    Hi, first time going to pax (hopefully), I have a quick question about hotel room sharing.

Looking at the spreadsheet from last year, it seems most hotels charge around $20 per night per extra guest over 2. Is this a mandatory fee that I must pay just to have them in the room, or do I only pay this if I want extra room keys?

Even with that extra price per person, it still comes out cheaper per person, say in the above example, yes it's $140 per night, and assuming check in on Thursday, checkout on Monday for a total of 4 nights, that's $560 total, and divided by 3 it's ~$187 per person. Add on a fourth person, same nights, $160 per night, 4 nights, $640 total, divided amongst 4 people is $160 each person.

JfqWFk8.png
  • Options
    Deaths CrowbarDeaths Crowbar That guy that does the Things "East Bound and Down" AKA TexarkanaRegistered User regular
    Hey, so everyone at the website I work with wants to go to PAX East incl;uding myself. When can we apply for media passes and what do we have to have to be accepted for them?

• Options
    Hey, so everyone at the website I work with wants to go to PAX East incl;uding myself. When can we apply for media passes and what do we have to have to be accepted for them?
    Media registration for East 2014 is not yet open. It is unknown at this time when it will open. However, here is the info from PAX East 2013:
    HL4tIkD.png

• Options
    EradiKateEradiKate Registered User regular
    Can we add some more information to the post about taking the T? I think it merits a mention that a week pass is $18 and is good for buses, trains, and the commuter rail to a certain extent. Also, riding the Silver Line two stops inbound opens up a lot of possibilities for food. And that for anyone flying in, it's free to ride the Silver Line from Logan to South Station.

PAX East Attendee. Professional Tabletop Gamer. Donut Enthusiast.
  • Options
    CoanCoan TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013

Theres a possibility you _could_ sneak more people into the room than you pay for if you're ok on key sharing and you can probably snag extra keys easy, but, theres also a possibility of suddenly being on the street of a city in the North East in April. It's just not worth it.

I know at the seaport when I locked myself out of my room last year while roomsharing i got a new key with fairly few questions asked (mostly that of confirming my identity based on the credit card since my wallet was in the room with my ID...i only had a few choice items from my wallet+cash on me). I think when it comes to the charge, its making sure theres enough towels/shampoo/other things that are a concern when the amount of people per room go up. I know my sister and her cosplaying friends usually stack up to the max per room since they're all broke and it looks like a bomb hit it most of the time.

Though its not the right place to discuss it I think, but I have to wonder how many of the people talking about driving in Boston as the "worst ever driving experience they've had"...live in major cities. As a Torontonian, I didn't really notice anything particularly rough. I'm sure the crazy few who drive in NYC would be ok...(for discussion for the faq, it may be better to talk about tips for driving in boston if you HAVE to, or like when you're driving into the city to park for a few days). Though last year there was a separate driving in Boston thread for that advice.

Edit: on that note, @Zerzhul: last years driving thread went a few pages, should a separate thread exist for this year or we can talk about it here until it needs its own thread.

Coan on
    Posting on the phorum again like its 1999
  • Options
    If you want to discuss "in boston transportation" that can be its own thread, for sure.

• Options
    GreenizdabestGreenizdabest Southeast CT - USARegistered User regular
    Zerzhul, what thread should we hawk for when tickets go on sale? This?

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    IIRC there was a seperate registration/speculation thread for Prime. And Twitter is the most reliable source anyway since there's 50 bazillion ways for it to ping you when Official_PAX tweets something.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    We will make a new thread when tickets go on sale. This thread is for Q/A only.

• Options
    atiariatiari Registered User regular
    Is there going to be a separate thread for finding/sharing hotel rooms? I'm making plans with a friend of mine but we're probably going to try and find someone who has a room and needs more people this time around.