As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Ultimate Marvel] thread

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Munch wrote: »
    Isn't there going to be a mysterious "Spider-Hero" character in Mighty Avengers? I wonder if that's Miles. (And time breaking shenanigans to explain how he got to the 616 universe way before Cataclysm)

Huh, I was wondering who Spider-Nunchucks was.

M7SaPZtl.jpg

That's probably Ronin. I thought I read somewhere that him and Ock would be butting heads for some reason.

• JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    I'm still iffy on the whole Ultimate Universe ending thing. As much as there's things pointing at it, there's almost more pointing against it.

It all hinges on not seeing Miles without a book. And as much as I can understand the idea that he COULD move over to the 616 books, even with his cast...I don't think that actually works. At least, not in a permanent way. His supporting cast is definitely a huge deal, but so is the fact that he exists in a world where Peter Parker died.

That, of course, doesn't mean he won't move over, but it makes it hard for me to get on with the idea. Even if the Angela thing is similar, Miles has way more baggage and I'd almost expect to see him being the ONLY Ultimate character with a book left rather than being moved over to 616.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Seems like they'rd be a ultimates ongoing or something too judging from the q and a thread at cbr with JHF (sounds like he has a lot of plans)\
    http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?462157-Questions-for-Joshua-Fialkov!

UltimateInferno on
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I could easily see them taking the Ultimate Universe to digital first comics save for probably Ultimate Spider-Man.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    While I would have zero issues with that, Marvel seems to be avoiding doing digitial only titles like that like dc is doing, and instead focusing on infinite comics only for digital exclusives.

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Didn't they make a single, consolidated 2099 book after the line started doing poorly (or was that behind the scenes drama, I don't remember.). Honestly, I bet they'll do that. "Thin the heard" a bit with cataclysm, consolidate the X-men and Ultimates into a single super-team in the wake of the disaster, and make Miles the central character.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Man, a friend shared the first two issues of Hunger with me

I like how the entire Ultimate universe basically goes "oh COME ON" when Galactus 616 comes onto the scene, like reality just rejects the idea that he could even be there

dN0T6ur.png
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Didn't they make a single, consolidated 2099 book after the line started doing poorly (or was that behind the scenes drama, I don't remember.). Honestly, I bet they'll do that. "Thin the heard" a bit with cataclysm, consolidate the X-men and Ultimates into a single super-team in the wake of the disaster, and make Miles the central character.

I was thinking this too, and the Fialkov Q&A really makes it seem like he'll be writing... some kind of Ultimate U title.

At the same time, Bendis has talked about doing an Ultimate Spider-Man 200.

That would imply two ongoings, when there's really only three right now. Which doesn't make much sense, unless USM 200 is a special one-shot following Cataclysm. Does the book hit near 200 if you do the fuzzy math? 160 issues between Vol 1 and 2, 28 when Vol 3 ends, 3 for the cataclysm mini ... puts us at 191. Do Spider-Men or Ultimate Comics: Fallout count?

I'm not sure if I'll be picking up the minis for cataclysm right away, or just reading the main series and waiting for them to get a price cut on comixology. The Ultimate books after the last relaunch were a small alternate marvel U that I could follow without a huge investment, but I still picked up 616 books here and there, and the NOW stuff revitalized 616 so much and made so many of those books great that I just can't afford to keep reading the Ultimate line on top of it. Brian Wood not writing the X-Men mini, and Fialkov having only been on Ultimates for about 6 issues kind of helps me break the habit, too.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    spider-men was five issues and bendis wrote four fallout issues

that'd be 9

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Having reread Hickman's Ultimates I am even more certain that everything that has happened in Ultimates after was planned while Hickman was still involved. I have also noticed two things. One is that there are explicit references to the Children having plans to leave earth. I expect they'll show up before cataclysm's end.

The other is that the last time with see the People Zorn goes all singularity and then SHIELD is busy with other things. The last time the People showed in X-men was also extremely pre-Jean Grey revolution. They really need to get this exposition out.

Quire.jpg
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Bendis has said as long as he is at Marvel he will always be writing Ultimate Spider-Man in some fashion, so no matter what happens in Cataclysm, Miles will probably come out fine and with his own book.

CYpGAPn.png
    edited August 2013
    So Amazon updated some of the upcoming Marvel entries with solicitations and I noticed this for the Cataclysm collection: http://www.amazon.com/Cataclysm-Ultimates-Joshua-Hale-Fialkov/dp/078518919X/ref=sr_1_48?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1377559914&sr=1-48
    COLLECTING: CATACLYSM: THE ULTIMATES' LAST STAND 1-5, CATACLYSM: ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN 1-3, CATACLYSM: ULTIMATE COMICS X-MEN 1-3, CATACLYSM: ULTIMATE COMICS ULTIMATES 1-3, HUNGER 1-4, ULTIMATE 0.1

Line being consolidated into a single book, or just a one-shot, I wonder.

Also, that is going to be a nicely fat collection; 19 issues!

Undead Scottsman on
    could be the catcylsm 0.1 shot in october

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    A preview of the next issue of Ultimates is up at CBR.
    Might be just me but I get the feeling they may try to blame Ultimate Reed's turn to villainy on Kang.

Owenashi wrote: »
    Might be just me but I get the feeling they may try to blame Ultimate Reed's turn to villainy on Kang.

I get that vibe too but it makes absolutely no sense.

Quire.jpg

Well
    It could explain what gave him the push from "slackerish super genius with genuinely good intentions" to "supergenius who has decided that he knows better than everyone else and thus will achieve his goal of a better future at any cost imaginable.

Well
    It could explain what gave him the push from "slackerish super genius with genuinely good intentions" to "supergenius who has decided that he knows better than everyone else and thus will achieve his goal of a better future at any cost imaginable.
    basically probably. (also probably kang who killed his family). While this takes away from Hickman's reed somewhat, we are never going to get Hickman Ultimates again, so I'm fine with this direction.

• ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    It's not like the original face heel turn made a lot of sense either. There was barely anything given besides 'Oh, really depressed for months. Suddenly, kills own family and decides to save the world in the most evil way possible out of resentment. Also, didn't the little sister have superpowers?'

Zyrxil wrote: »
    It's not like the original face heel turn made a lot of sense either. There was barely anything given besides 'Oh, really depressed for months. Suddenly, kills own family and decides to save the world in the most evil way possible out of resentment. Also, didn't the little sister have superpowers?'

Yeah, Fiakov is in theory fixing that with the Kang part, so that's why I am fine and excited for to see it.

• AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    So on the timeline, where are the Infinity and Hunger events in relation to each other?

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    They're in completely different universes?

• AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Yeah but Galactus broke through to the Ultimate Universe from the 616 right? I just thought that that might register as a pretty major event in 616's timeline especially with the focus on cosmic events.

Amigu on
    BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Eh, if he's gone long enough, but I don't think the MU would miss Galactus for a few months at least.

• AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think so much bad juju is going on in 616 that no one is going to notice Galactus is missing for awhile.

PSN|AspectVoid

Reed Richards change made completely sense, I thought.

The entire UFF run was him being abused, failing, and used. Galactus ends with him having to destroy a universe to save the earth because, to paraphrase Reed himself, the monsters in charge couldn't save the world without turn him into a monster. Before Bendis's Enemy storyline he was characterized as optimistic but jaded with the world and both his "schemes" were about freeing the world of the vile weak people in charge and letting humanity become the amazing thing he felt it could be.

Anyway my problem is that this literally doesn't make sense. Well, not even problem yet. I'm sure it will be explained and I will judge the explanation by its merits but so far Reed's old schemes don't seem to line up with his goal and also that's a flashback but didn't Reed not know who Kang was?

Quire.jpg
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    He sort've implied an issue or two ago that his whole City scheme was simply to create enough trauma in the world to generate the next infinity gem. The nature of the Ultimate gems is something I do think is very clever - the white blood cells of the universe, manifesting in response to dire happenstance.

H9f4bVe.png
    edited September 2013

The entire UFF run was him being abused, failing, and used. Galactus ends with him having to destroy a universe to save the earth because, to paraphrase Reed himself, the monsters in charge couldn't save the world without turn him into a monster. Before Bendis's Enemy storyline he was characterized as optimistic but jaded with the world and both his "schemes" were about freeing the world of the vile weak people in charge and letting humanity become the amazing thing he felt it could be.
    You're talking about whether it was strictly possible in that situation (and I don't necessarily agree it was presented like that) for him become evil. But even if you accept that, it was pretty shittily written how
    1. apparently he kills his family, including his Mother and Sister who he loves.
    2. He changes his personality into Ultimate Doom within a matter of hours.
    3. He tries to kill people he cares about, not because it would help with his cause, but purely out of spite. Note that Spite is most powerful after a fresh emotional wound, not a year later.
    4. He does it all with no equipment, and no SHIELD monitoring the genius who saved the Earth X times before, would probably be useful again later.
    5. With no foreshadowing or lead-in. Since it's a work of fiction, this is a pretty important dividing line between well written surprises and badly written surprises.

Zyrxil on

You're talking about whether it was strictly possible in that situation (and I don't necessarily agree it was presented like that) for him become evil. But even if you accept that, it was pretty shittily written how
    1. apparently he kills his family, including his Mother and Sister who he loves.
    2. He changes his personality into Ultimate Doom within a matter of hours.
    3. He tries to kill people he cares about, not because it would help with his cause, but purely out of spite. Note that Spite is most powerful after a fresh emotional wound, not a year later.
    4. He does it all with no equipment, and no SHIELD monitoring the genius who saved the Earth X times before, would probably be useful again later.
    5. With no foreshadowing or lead-in. Since it's a work of fiction, this is a pretty important dividing line between well written surprises and badly written surprises.

He didn't change his personality. He changes after the time bubble but in the Enemy mini he's the same. And I don't agree that it was handled poorly and it was foreshadowed a ton in both the Galactus arc and Ultimatum.

Quire.jpg
    Well I felt his personality was written quite differently in that mini. I don't know if there's anything else I can say beyond that.

Yeah, Reed in that mini
    -Killed his family
    -Killed a bunch of civilians as collatoral, in the process of trying to kill anyone and everyone smart enough to stop him (including Sue Storm, and the Ultimates, who he looked up to)
    -Developed a race of genetic monster slaves
    -Generally went full supervillian

And that was all before the time bubble stuff.

Normal Ultimate Reed had his moments of shittyness, but he was never anywhere NEAR that bad.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Most of his dick moves were either typically Reed thoughtlessness (a staple of the character - he needs his team-family to keep him grounded) or the influence of Thanos on his consciousness, which had been affecting him since their first encounter.

I suppose losing his team-family was a major contributing factor - there's plenty of 616 stories where we see alt-Reeds without their families who act like creeps - but it bothers me when they make him so damn gleeful to be a villain. If heroes get pushed to extremes and become villains, fine, but you're not supposed to enjoy being 'forced' to kill all of your old friends/mentors, which is what they are supposed to believe is the case.
    And now we have Ultimate Susan/Kang - okay, fine, she's gone bad. Getting kinda tired of the Ultimates 'surprise, good guy's bad' thing, but why the big diabolical shit eating grin, while she chokes the life out of her former friends and colleagues? Why is this horrible nightmare scenario where she destroys all that she once loved so damned enjoyable to her?

H9f4bVe.png
    Fialkov: Well, after Brian Wood graphicly and concretely murders everyone in that last issue, I get a chance to start fresh. So, go me! It's a lot of fun playing with these characters and concepts, particularly as Brian has reinvisioned them during his run. We'll also see the return of a fan favorite character. Hint: Ultimate Geldof.

http://www.newsarama.com/18912-fialkov-sizes-up-marvels-ultimate-cataclysm-as-galactus-attacks.html

• ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    What??? Murders?
    Did I miss an issue or something?

Oh hey
    Johnny's back. Which kind of raises the question, where was he before this, and why wasn't Not Future Susan looking for her brother?

Oh hey
    Johnny's back. Which kind of raises the question, where was he before this, and why wasn't Not Future Susan looking for her brother?
    He was in a coma since getting beat down by the anti mutant dudes in UCX-Men

Cataclysm-Triptych-cover.jpg?1378952317

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Miles is just going NOPENOPENOPE

CYpGAPn.png
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Since Hunger is part of the Cataclysm collection coming out early next year I'm not going to bother getting the last two issues.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    Man, I love Gabe Hardman's art so damn much.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    That Nick Fury paratrooping into Galactus's face just makes me want to see a Galactus/Helicarrier faceoff now, wherein Galactus might piledrive the Helicarrier.

Now I am sad.