As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pinny Arcade - Pinny Pal Community thread

Manic2kManic2k Brotherhood of the Squirrel [AUS]Registered User regular
edited February 2014 in Pinny Arcade
Hi I'm Manic2k, Welcome to the Pinny Pal community thread!

If you are here and you are reading this for the first time then you have discovered the
joys of being a “Pinthusiast”!

Who are we?
Well we are collectors of Pinny Arcade of course! (http://www.penny-arcade.com/pinny-arcade)
Since 2013 Pinny Arcade has exploded and people are having fun collecting and trading and meeting other pin pals too!
The community is thriving and will continue to grow over the coming years with the addition of new pins and being released at every PAX!

So how do you get started here??

Well it’s easy just do the following :
1. Introduce yourself to our great community, maybe telling us about how you got interested in Pinny Arcade and ask us any questions you have.
2. Like the community Facebook page for all community news and updates, Pinny Arcade announcement/spoilers as we find them out. (www.facebook.com/pinnypals)
3. Follow our twitter Page: @pa_pinpals
4. You'd would like to showcase your Pinny Arcade collection? Send me a picture of your collection so far too pinnypals@gmail.com
5. Check out our community site: http://community.pinnypals.com/
- Also our SubReddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/pinnypals

How do I trade around here?
There are two ways:

Single trades:
In regards to single trades or non-partnership trades at the moment you just post in the "Pin Pal Trading Post" thread what you have
for trading and what you need/want for your collection. Then you PM the person that has what you want and then you can offer a trade.

The Pinny Arcade Beta site is out now: www.pinnypals.com
-This site allows you to register you collection as well as what you would like to put up for trade. A digital lanyard if you will.

Pin Pal Trading Post: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/177186/pax-pinny-arcade-pin-pal-trading-post

Pin Pal Partnerships:
This is still in development and I am running test groups now.

What is a Pin Pal partnership?
A pin pal partnership is a collective of 3 pin pals each representing each other at one of the three
PAXs - collecting pins that the other two would normally not have a chance on getting alone.

What are the benefits of this arrangement?
The benefits are as follows:
-Access to pins from a PAX you usually would miss out collecting and would have to arrange trades.
- Saving on shipping, instead of shipping to 40 or so addresses you will only theoretically need to ship to two addresses.
- Knowing you have trades arranged and knowing how much/what you need to collect for yourself and your fellow Pin Pals.
- Established trade route - this means that you will have partners that you can rely on as well as built raport.

Sounds great, how do I sign up?
Easy just send a message to me aka Manic2k and I will put you into a group,
All you need to specify is the PAX you are most favourable to going to and what level collector you
would say you are.

What level collector?
As in what you are aiming for in terms of collecting, so far there are only two levels:
Enthusiastic: - "I know I can't get them all, but I'll get as many as I can find."
Hardcore: - "If I don't get every single Pin, my brain-squirrels will cause me pain."

You will be grouped up with other like-minded collectors in a group message moderated by myself just to help you and your group get set up and to help with trade arrangements.

When do I send my pin pals their pins that I collected?
This is up to you and your group and will differ with preference.

It is advised however for each member of your pin pal group to hold onto your pins until all tree PAX even sets have been collected and send them all at once.

Being a Hardcore collector I will need to purchase core sets to collect pins, how does that work with the other pin pals in my group?
This again will depend on the group and its preferences. If your groups decide to purchase the sets and send them to the pin pal who is up collecting then they do that. If the pin pal who is up for collecting buys all the trade resources he needs for 3 sets and then works it with his group, then he does that.

What if they cheat me?
Unfortunately this is a possibility and everyone should be a little wary.
Get to know your new group, they are a part of this community and are here for the same reason you are which is to collect the pins and have a blast doing so. If they do end up cheating you or your group then they will be black listed from the community.
zerzhul wrote:
A moderator note on pin trading via the forums:

Please see the forum rules for our policy on buy/sell of things. The Pin threads encourage trading, not a marketplace.

This thread gives no legitimacy to anyone attempting to trade with you. Any trades performed should always be assumed to be at one's own risk with no official avenue for retribution in the event of a fuckup or a scam.

Why are you doing all this?
I have fallen in love with this hobby and the community is awesome.
When the prime pins where announced I saw that there were a crazy number so I approached
the community at the time with the idea of setting up a partnership with two other forum members
so we could trade. Forum member Reneguage suggested we call it Pin Pals. It was successful and I wanted to share that with other community members and help everyone work together.

Tell me more about the website!!
It is still in development and we have a whole bunch of epic ideas, the address is www.pinnypals.com
Like the community page for future news and updates or just watch here at the thread 

Website Achievements?!:
Yep! we decided to announce this community feature for the upcoming website, we hope to announce more soon.
The two confirmed achievements are the "Logo vote" achievment and the " EST 2013 Pin Pal" achievement.

Time Stamp Variants:
It was discovered that there are 2012 stamped pins as well as 2013 stamped pins.
This is because pinny arcade was due to debut at PRIME 2012 but was pushed back to
EAST 2013. The 2012 pins are found on core set pins, CTS Gabe and Zombie Tycho as well as the
Pinny Arcade Logo Pin and The Merch pin. Time stamps are for those collectors that must have them all.
In regards to rarity, 2012 pins are considered rarer/more significant than 2013 pins as they are first prints.
We will see more time stamp variants appear as designs are reprinted in later years
with new time stamps.

Hardcore Roster:
Hardcore Groups

[Group 1] The Brotherhood of the Squrriel:
Manic2k/PAXAUS/Hardcore
PedroAsani/PAXPRIME/Hardcore
NowHiringHenchmen/PAXEAST/Hardcore

Group 2:
BeardedPatato/PAXPRIME/Hardcore
darkinfero/PAXEAST/Hardcore
reneguage/PAXAUS/Hardcore

Group 3:
Ayefkay/PaxAUS/Hardcore
cabbie98/PAXEAST/HARDCORE
verybluetardis/PRIME/Hardcore

Group 4:
WearyTraverler/PAX PRIME/Hardcore *also may be east
[PAX EAST HARDCORE SPOT PENDING]
[PAX AUS HARDCORE SPOT PENDING]

Group 5:
Mozleron/Prime/Hardcore
Gerzzog/EAST/Hardcore
Mayoukoneko/Aus/Hardcore

Group 6:
Bretness37/PRIME/Hardcore
Jake Capps/PAXEAST/Hardcore
SKOoOTA/PAXAUS/Hardcore

Group 7: *pending*
Horus/PRIME/Hardcore
Qumaden/PAXEast/Hardcore
Duckie/PAXAUS/Hardcore

Group 8:
Covet/PRIME/Hardcore
SerpicoBC/EAST/Hardcore
El_Funko/PAX AUS/Hardcore

Group 9:
Frostbyte/PRIME/Hardcore
00Fayt00/PRIME+EAST/Hardcore

Group 10:
Breakdown/Prime/Hardcore
Cowpuppy/East/Hardcore
Duckie/PAX AUS/Hardcore

Group 11:
Alpha I Omega/PRIME/Hardcore

Group 12:
Onlock/Prime/Hardcore
Fishfishmonkeyhat/PAX AUS/Hardcore

Group 13:
Gregemonkey/PAX AUS/Hardcore
AboutLastNight/Pax Prime+East/Hardcore

Group 14:
Vaanrose/Prime/Hardcore

Group 15:[/b]
BrewtiCon/Prime/Hardcore

Group 16
Foehammer/Pax Aus/Hardcore
Imsorad/Pax East/Hardcore
Spy112/Pax Prime/Hardcore

Enthusiast Roster:
Enthusiast Groups

Group 1:
Kamelon/PAXAUS/ENTH
ToastyTreat/PAXPRIME/ENTH
smertepunkt/PAXEAST/Enth

Group 2: Pinquisition
sirmrej/Prime/enth *may also go to East
Arithon32/EAST/ENTH
MysteriousIcon/PAXAUS/Enthusiast

Group 3:
DaSmoosh/Prime/enth
Luthien/PAX East/enth
Nefily/PAXAUS/enth

Group 4:
Redfield/PAXEAST/ENTH
renegauge/PAXAUS/ENTH*HARDCORE
pvp_panda/PAXPRIME/ENTH

Group 5:
TheAggroCraig/EAST/Enth
eak5s/AUS/Enth
Custom Special/Prime/ENTH

Group 5:
Burt/East/ENTH
Aussie Ben/PAXAUS/ENTH
Saldek/PAXPRIME/ENTH

Group 6: The Pinglourious Basterds
Drayven_Darko/PAXAUS/ENTH
Adambarg/PRIME/ENTH
msuroo/East/Enth

Group 7
[PAX AUS ENTH PENDING
Rhukong/PRIME/ENTH
Jetson/EAST/ENTH][/u]

Group 8
[PAX AUS ENTH PENDING
rndoom/PRIME/ENTH
[PAX EAST ENTH PENDING]

Technical Manager: Grgemonkey
Grgemonkey is managing everything to with the upcoming trading website, any suggestions or inqueries should go to him.

Community Art and Design Director: Elytian
Any design ideas or art that you would like to submit should go to Elytian.
She has designed and drew all community art so far including our awesome logos.

Community Outreach Director: PedroAsani
Please forward all questions you may have for the Penny Arcade team about Pinny Arcade to PedroAsani, He will collect all questions and forward them to the PA team (Mostly Mike)
once a month. This will help with questions being effectively answered without them getting lost or spamming the PA team.

Reddit Directors br3akd0wn and Verybluetardis:
br3akd0wn and Verybluetardis will be managing things on our SubReddit all inquires and suggestions should go to them.

I hope this all helps and welcome to the Pinny Pal community!

Manic2k
Pinny Pal Community Manager

Pinny arcade - Pin Pals community page: www.facebook.com/pinnypals
Community Pinny Arcade Trading web site: http://www.pinnypals.com
Pinny Arcade - Pin Pals twitter: @PA_PinPals
SubReddit:http://www.reddit.com/r/pinnypals
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/pinnypals
Manic2k on

• Manic2kManic2k Brotherhood of the Squirrel [AUS]Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    FAQ (OP: PedroAsani):
    So, Pins? What?

Collectible Pins, Penny Arcade style! Starting with Merch in 2012, currently around 100 designs in circulation or pending. Some extremely common, some rare as unicorn poop.

How do I get them?

Some you can get from the PA Store. Some you need to attend a PAX. Some you have almost no hope of getting. But in most cases, you can trade with other Pinthusiasts.

Can we have a [Pin]?

We have a suggestions thread and each month they are sent on to Mike. No promises beyond him seeing them and going in his "sketchbook folder".

What is the difference between a Pinthusiast and a Pin Pal?

Not that much, really. Pin Pals are organised groups who have agreed to help each other out and collect for each other at the nearest PAX to them.

How can I find people to trade with?

There is a thread here, and an entire site here.

What's with the "Series 1"?

Originally there were going to be Pin Series, but that was scrapped in favour of simply using the Pin manufacturing Year, since it was stamped on the back.

What are Blind Boxes?

Packs with random Pins inside. The staff get a lot of Pins traded to them, at which point they are sanitized and repackaged into the Blind Boxes.

When will the PA Store carry Shadow Boxes?

At this point, never. They were concerned about shipping panes of glass to people, so that idea was canned. They are however going to do binders, folders and suchlike.

What Pins are going to be available at [Event]?

Mike will usually release a list of them shortly before the event. This list (as we found out at PAX Prime 13) is subject to change, because manufacturing problems can happen.

What makes a Limited Pin so special?

They aren't going to be made again. The regular Pins could be re-issued, but Limited Pins are made in one run, and then never again.

Why are Limited Pins going on sale at 2pm? Why not [time]?

Because Penny Arcade covers so many countries, a time zone was needed that would be the least disruptive to all countries. 2pm in Seattle is between 6am and 10am in Australia, 10pm in the UK and 11pm in Europe. It was deemed by the majority of us in the Pin Community thread to be the best time for everyone to Hear the Pin Drop.

Why not just make it random?

Have you ever tried to get PAX tickets? Much the same reason as that.

Some Pins have different years printed on them, does it matter?

Only to those of us with that specific brain disease.

How often are Pins issued?

The plan is to have roughly one Pin or Pin Set every other month. Obviously PAXes are going to skew that number, and Pin tie-ins will do the same.

Pin tie-ins? What are those?

Killer Instinct was released with a Pin Ultimate edition. Each month there will be a challenge issued, and completing that challenge will give you a code to get a Free* Pin from the PA Store.

For those who don't have the game, the Pins will be available in the store to buy a month later. So if you complete the January challenge, you can "buy" the Pin the same day you get the code. Otherwise, you have to wait until February to actually buy it. This is so people who own the Pin Ultimate edition won't miss out to those who just want to buy all the Pins.

Future Pin tie-ins are currently in the tentative stages.

*No charge for the Pin, but you need to pay shipping.

I tried to ask Mike about [Pin thing] but didn't get a reply. What's up with that?

He probably just didn't get to it yet. Once a month, I solicit questions from the Community and send an FAQ to him along with the Pin Suggestions made that month. He usually replies in a day or so, quicker if he doesn't have to ask other people for input. Give me your questions and I shall send it with the rest.

DLC Pin Registry:
    1.Manic2k
    2.PedroAsani
    3.NowHiringHenchmen
    4.Frostbyt
    5.00Fayt00
    6.SerpicoBC
    7.ITzerokewl
    8.Ayefkay
    9.pureval
    10.Burt
    11.Scott Armstrong - Facebook Pinny Pal
    12.Verybluetardis
    13.Francois Jacques - Facebook Pinny Pal
    14.Weary Traveler
    15.Nijhazer
    16.Sean Chandler - Facebook Pinny Pal
    17.Michael Vance - Facebook Pinny Pal
    18.Versuserik
    19.Versuskid

Manic2k on
  • AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Great job with the guidelines Manic2k!

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • NowHiringHenchmenNowHiringHenchmen Registered User regular
    Great job Manick. Maybe just throw the link of the trading forum into the guidelines as well? This way people can just click right there and start trading! Other then that, bravo man!

• KratzALotKratzALot Registered User regular
    Very nice! Good job all involved.

The Great Whale War of Civ 5

Never Forget!
  • SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    I know I keep saying it, but thank you so much for all of this, Manic. It is awesome.

Also, mind adding me to Group 8? I want to make sure folks know which group has all of this exciting stuff:

SerpicoBC wrote: »
    I know I keep saying it, but thank you so much for all of this, Manic. It is awesome.

Also, mind adding me to Group 8? I want to make sure folks know which group has all of this exciting stuff:
    SerpicoBC wrote: »

Can do Serpico :)
    Great job Manick. Maybe just throw the link of the trading forum into the guidelines as well? This way people can just click right there and start trading! Other then that, bravo man!

Np Hench :p

I will get to it when I get home guys :D

• reneguagereneguage Registered User regular
    Welcome home y'all! I'll be organizing any competitions I run through the new thread but also post them on the steam group, facebook, trade thread and link to twitter hashtag.
    I'm hoping to get feedback on how we can improve the balance of the competitions.
    I'll only do 2 comps per pax with different objectives for each. Maybe more prizes...

• KamelonKamelon Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Great OP, Manic. And good idea splitting into two threads. Thanks!

Reneguage, that trophy was awesome and metagames / achievements are always fun. Different sets of pins should give us lots of different ideas for competitions. Perhaps some will work at the enthusiast level too. We will have to wait and see :)

I am so excited about this new hobby and community. Every PA update I hope it's about pins. Can't wait to see the Halloween ones.

Pinny Arcade Collection & Trades
    Heroic Coaching & Consulting - Personal Development & Coaching For Nerds

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6423-4833

"Every suggestion from the FAQ with a link? Kamelon. A truly Organised Pinthusiast." - PedroAsani
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Pretty sure we aren't splitting into two threads. That makes no sense. Manic probably just wanted to be able to update the OP often, so a new thread was made.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    we thought it might be good to separate trades from community/group talk. It seemed like some of the trade requests were getting lost due to the high traffic in the other thread. See how this goes first and if it doesnt work out we can just go back to 1

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Pretty sure we aren't splitting into two threads. That makes no sense. Manic probably just wanted to be able to update the OP often, so a new thread was made.

It makes sense to have a trading thread and a community discussion thread.

Having one go to place for trade posts and set needs.

Having a solid stream of trade posts instead of it being broken up by discussion and having to search through the thread for trade posts.

As Ayefkay said we can always switch back :)

reneguage wrote: »
    Welcome home y'all! I'll be organizing any competitions I run through the new thread but also post them on the steam group, facebook, trade thread and link to twitter hashtag.
    I'm hoping to get feedback on how we can improve the balance of the competitions.
    I'll only do 2 comps per pax with different objectives for each. Maybe more prizes...

Reneguage ftw!!

Kamelon wrote: »
    Great OP, Manic. And good idea splitting into two threads. Thanks!

Reneguage, that trophy was awesome and metagames / achievements are always fun. Different sets of pins should give us lots of different ideas for competitions. Perhaps some will work at the enthusiast level too. We will have to wait and see :)

I am so excited about this new hobby and community. Every PA update I hope it's about pins. Can't wait to see the Halloween ones.

Thanks Kamelon :)

I think in future I will gear them toward the different groups but it will be difficult to separate them.
    Open to suggestions

Maybe group specific awards? Like first hardcore group to have all 3 members get a full set.

8fuuo_RK.png
    ooo I like that one!
    I think we can run that one for the 2014 pin season,
    it's too slighted for the 2013 season. definitely a good one to show off the achievements of our little community

• KamelonKamelon Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Mike just tweeted:

Awesome! Something new each month for the next three months. Woo!

zerzhul on
    Pinny Arcade Collection & Trades
    Heroic Coaching & Consulting - Personal Development & Coaching For Nerds

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6423-4833

"Every suggestion from the FAQ with a link? Kamelon. A truly Organised Pinthusiast." - PedroAsani
    edited September 2013
    hah! i JUST saw that and went straight for the thread :P Awesome news

Also, not exactly "confidential" if its on twitter :P

Ayefkay on

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Midas244Midas244 Registered User regular
    I'm a PAX East enforcer, would love to get a partner in Prime/Aus. I'm in the hardcore category (caught all of the pins including multiple years stamps). I was at Prime this year but won't go back next year (enforcing twice a year is too hard).

• ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    A Halloween set has me very intrigued.

I wonder if that'll be the entirety of the 2013 set.

• KratzALotKratzALot Registered User regular
    I think out of those three, most excited to get Daughters of the Eyrewood. But most intrigued by what the Halloween set will be.

The Great Whale War of Civ 5

Never Forget!
    edited September 2013
    Hey pin pals :D

I asked my fiancee if she would draw up some logos for our community and I like to think that she delivered :))!!!

We have been brain storming on what would represent all three of Pax's and at the same time represent our community :)!

Kemper with the scarfs were chosen because he is in all three of our 2013 PAX core sets with the scarfs

The suitcase was chosen because because it's a symbol for travel.

My favorite was the Idea was the Kemper stamp as it represents the mail system, which relates to sending pins to one another all the time! :)

Anyway cast yopur vote on the community page and Holla @ Elytian sending an artist some good vibes, I think she more then deserves it for these :3!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.619150324775015.1073741845.616088915081156&type=1

Manic2k on
  • PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Think she can try her hand at a Brain-Squirrel?

edited September 2013
    haha yeah I thought of that told her about it and read her the Brain Squirrel OP, I'll run it by her again :p

Manic2k on
  • vidvid Hot Dog Wizard PDXRegistered User regular
    Bringing up a question from earlier...

Is there a difference between the Pinny Arcade Logo/Enforcer pin from East/Aus/Prime? Someone mentioned there being a variant beyond the date stamp, and I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for.

55ymlH2.png
    vid wrote: »
    Bringing up a question from earlier...

Is there a difference between the Pinny Arcade Logo/Enforcer pin from East/Aus/Prime? Someone mentioned there being a variant beyond the date stamp, and I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for.

The only difference is whit the time stamp, there are 2012 and 2013 stamped prints in circulation. Some reports including my own say that the metal of the 2013 is darker and less "Shiny" the the 2012

Check the community facebook page for the comparison in misprints and variants :)

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Is there any face difference with the Zombie Tycho or CTS years?

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    Elytian said that she is up for the brain squirrel :)

redfield85 wrote: »
    Is there any face difference with the Zombie Tycho or CTS years?

Not that I have heard

I only have 2012's

• PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Manic2k wrote: »

I asked my fiancee if she would draw up some logos for our community and I like to think that she delivered :))!!!

We have been brain storming on what would represent all three of Pax's and at the same time represent our community :)!

Kemper with the scarfs were chosen because he is in all three of our 2013 PAX core sets with the scarfs

My favorite was the Idea was the Kemper stamp as it represents the mail system, which relates to sending pins to one another all the time! :)

Anyway cast yopur vote on the community page and Holla @ Elytian sending an artist some good vibes, I think she more then deserves it for these :3!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.619150324775015.1073741845.616088915081156&type=1

My favourite is the third one, just because my cat does the same thing every time I pack for a trip.

C93ZbBV.png

Don't forget to vote on the community page guys by liking your favourite :D

edited September 2013
    PedroAsani wrote: »

My favourite is the third one, just because my cat does the same thing every time I pack for a trip.

Awww :3

Manic2k on
    Yeah I like the third one too.

Also, gabe retweeted about the designs, this is good news he knows about them! Who knows maybe we will see a pin of one sometime

8fuuo_RK.png
  • grgemonkeygrgemonkey Registered User regular
    Stamp people! Vote for the stamp!

Ok my bias is done :D

Just an update on the website, things are definitely moving ahead, I know it can seem slow but development is just one of those things that takes a bit of time. It probably didn't help that it was announced then I promptly left on holidays haha. The plan is still to release features in stages, as all the ideas we have for the site are quite massive (in fact, there's now even more ideas from all your posts!) and it'll also help with testing each part and giving people something to tinker with :)

Because of that though, the pages might look a bit...rough...depending on how far along designs are, the primary focus is functionality at the moment. As you can see though, we scored a great artist with Manicks partner :)

https://pinnypals.com - Be there or be your least favourite shaped pin. Pin trading and more.
    http://pinmash.info - Head-To-Head battle of pins! Choose the most desirable.
    http://pinnywise.com - iOS pin collection tracking app.
    ----
    My Delicious Pins For Trade
  • BeardedPotatoBeardedPotato Registered User regular
    I can't make up my mind which logo I like the best... On the plus side, that means I'd be happy with all 3 :)

PedroAsani wrote: »

Third one is my favorite also. But #2 is definitely a close second.

• BeardedPotatoBeardedPotato Registered User regular
    FYI: My Twisp & Catsby set just arrived, so other people should see them soon!

FYI: My Twisp & Catsby set just arrived, so other people should see them soon!

I actually just got an email today that mine shipped! Good to see PA is being speedy with the shipping.

I'm still waiting for my confirmation.

Also, for those who mounted their 2013 set in a shadow box, what was the general size you went with? I will be going out tomorrow to get a shadow box big enough for all of 2013's existing pins plus the announced ones today.

This discussion has been closed.