As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Boston Restaurant/Dining Suggestions 2014 (**Update in OP**)

PurpleSkyPurpleSky Registered User regular
edited October 2013 in PAX East
**Update**
A compiled list of the suggestions made so far can be found here. I'll be continuously updating this doc as more suggestions are made.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8J2zaWDtgGpU3JDbUt3dU9yeDQ/edit?usp=sharing

This thread was a helpful one over on the Prime forums so I figured I'd start it here. It might be especially helpful since East is weaker in this area than Prime (in terms of proximity to convention center). I'll start this off by suggesting Strega Waterfront on Marina Park Dr (not a long walk from Seaport hotel). This is a nice Italian restaurant that has wonderful halibut offering.

PurpleSky on

• CoanCoan TorontoRegistered User regular
    I went to one of the Legal Seafood restaurants one night, from the looks of the yelp/street view, it was at 300 Northern. For eating at a nicer restaurant, price didn't seem so bad, IIRC it was ~50 for me and my sisters meal with drinks. It was busy, but we got a table right away near the bar area...but not at the bar. Like the bar, it did seem like a 'get in, eat and leave' setup, so if you're looking for a longer sit down, our saturday night experience says you'll want reservations for any seafood restaurant while pax is on.

Cannot recommend my sisters seafood salad though, it was one of those artsy style fancy salads...in that it in no way resembled a salad at all. The ingredients were good, but it was like a smattering of random vegetables on a plate with a ice cream scoop ball of real crab in the middle.

Posting on the phorum again like its 1999
  • gonexallgonexall PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    I highly recommend the Flour Bakery and Cafe for lunch or breakfast. It's about a five minute walk from the convention center, off congress a block or so before you get to the Channel. The food is delicious. I should point out that there is no table service and the dining area is small and tables are little cramped. Also, it is close to the Boston Children's Museum, so if you go at the right time, you might encounter a group of kids and moms. However, the food trumped all this, and I loved it. I even used it for an afternoon coffee break (had a wonderful brownie with my cup of joe).

• QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    Hamersly's Bistro. It's been a long time since I lived in Boston, but that's always been my must-have dining experience.

• CoanCoan TorontoRegistered User regular
    From last year: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/171758/restuarants-in-boston/p1 May be more suggestions in there, plus a link to the previous years thread, in case people want to go that far.

Posting on the phorum again like its 1999
  • KythosKythos Mister. Registered User regular
    The Barking Crab isn't that bad of a walk from the BCEC and it serves delicious seafood at a reasonable price. I had a lobster there last year and I /loved/ it. Definitely going there again this PAX.

PAX East 2017: Badge [X] Lodging [X] Plane Tickets [X] Time Off [X]

XBL/PSN: MiFengXia Twitter: @MiFengXia 3DS: 2423-3603-7854 Steam: Kythos
  • PurpleBekPurpleBek Manchester, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Lucky's, where we went for the girls sunday brunch, wasn't a long walk away and it was amazingly tasty, no idea really about directions but I'm pretty sure it was across the way from the boston tea party museum? I got lost the on the way there :S

Definitely going to pay it a visit again next year.

pax%20sig.png
  • Ana NgAna Ng Registered User regular
    PurpleBek wrote: »
    Lucky's, where we went for the girls sunday brunch, wasn't a long walk away and it was amazingly tasty, no idea really about directions but I'm pretty sure it was across the way from the boston tea party museum? I got lost the on the way there :S

Definitely going to pay it a visit again next year.

Seconding this. So tasty.

• rewarrewar Boston, MassRegistered User regular
    i'm gonna expand my post into a big ol' insider review of a bunch of spots.. i live in Boston and am a lifetime Massachusetts resident.. but i saw a couple of seafood posts out there and i wanted to throw out a good little no-frills spot.. (you may still find it a bit pricey) but they have great fish, clam, lobster, chowder.. a decent bottled beer selection.. and a laid-back casual old-school seafood joint atmosphere.. AND they are located minutes away from the convention center right on the Boston Fish Pier... it's a little spot called the:

No Name
    15 Fish Pier W
    Waterfront

google map link:
    https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=15+Fish+Pier+Street+West,+Boston,+MA&aq=0&oq=15+fish+&sll=42.348966,-71.131561&sspn=0.010578,0.022724&vpsrc=0&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=15+Fish+Pier+St+W,+Boston,+Massachusetts+02210&t=m&z=16>

here's an excerpt of a good Yelp review:

"With not a single frill in sight, No Name manages to serve delicious, fresh seafood with great portions at decent prices. The decor is less than beautiful, and in fact boosts the charm. I would describe it as bingo hall meets 1988 Red Lobster meets your grandma's basement where you played Atari."

it's literally right next to Seaport Hotel.. right on the fish pier.. it's sorta hard to find.. and with most of my suggestions i'm going to keep it as no-frills as possible.. i like places with out 'airs' if you will.. i want good food, good portions, and decent service..

• sacratoysacratoy Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    For those of age to imbibe, I recommend checking out the Harpoon Brewery which isn't too far from the convention centre. You can take a taxi, but it's a pretty nice walk also.

Here is the address:
    306 Northern Avenue, Boston, MA 02210

The hot house made pretzels are good, the beer is better, and the atmosphere is incredible.

I found that a good order of business is to walk to Legal from the expo, chow down on a full lobster at the bar (so you can talk up the cute bartenders), then walk down the street to Harpoon for a couple flights of beer. I did this a couple times. I have no regrets.

PAX Prime 2014: Pass [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Vacation Days [x]

PAX Prime 2014 Preparations Complete
  • jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    If you like Mexican, there is a place called Temazcal just a few blocks from the center. I've been to every PAXeast so far and just found out about this place this past year. And, BTW, it's real Mexican, not the Taco Bell run right through ya type :)

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    You can't go wrong in Chinatown, which is a relatively short walk away from the convention center. I honestly know no names of any places there, but I've eaten some damn good and cheap food at many of them.

• AngrypastaAngrypasta Registered User regular
    You can't go wrong in Chinatown, which is a relatively short walk away from the convention center. I honestly know no names of any places there, but I've eaten some damn good and cheap food at many of them.

Seconding this! Me and my friends found some pretty good places in Chinatown.

• KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    My friends and I always hit up the Back Bay Fire & Ice Sunday night after the convention ends.

Sadly, they aren't coming this year.

JfqWFk8.png
  • xenardxenard Registered User regular
    I would like to try something different other than ordering food this year. Has anyone gone to the restaurants at the Westin?

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    MJ Oconnors is terrible, never go there. (no, seriously, it's one of my favorite places to eat, and I don't need you crowding it up).

Sauciety is actually terrible and overpriced.

• jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    Yeh, I have to second that. MJ's is nice but I don't think Sauciety has ever heard the term "budget breakfast buffet"!

• sfford2008sfford2008 Registered User regular
    I second Fire and Ice in the Back Bay if people want to make the trip over there!

Anything down on the pier is good, but usually terribly crowded. Whiskey Priest is good for some drinks.

Faneuil Hall area is great for food, and not too far the the convention center. I don't know if I would walk from there though.

• gonexallgonexall PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    sfford2008 wrote: »
    Faneuil Hall area is great for food, and not too far the the convention center. I don't know if I would walk from there though.

Because of the distance or because of the neighborhood?

• RhileyRhiley Registered User regular
    I second the recommendation from @gonexall for Flour. If you don't mind the crowd and the wait the food is great and it's pretty close.

Yankee Lobster company - it's a short walk to the pier but just far enough that it did not get super PAX crowded. Really friendly people that were thrilled to have PAX people show up. Better and cheaper than Legal but it looks like a dive.

If you feel like exploring a little bit Friendly Toast in Cambridge was really good too. It is certainly not convenient (I believe it was a few t transfers away plus a long walk) but for a Sunday morning hangover cure breakfast it was great. We did have to wait for a table even though we got there a few minutes after they opened.

2013 Prime Omeganaut
  • SausageSausage FLRegistered User regular
    My husband and I make it a point to go to Papagayo every year, margaritas and table side guacamole are the highlights. We try to eat away from the convention area before the con actually starts because once we spend all day at the con, we don't really want to travel for dinner so we eat a lot of MJ O'Connors and usually get room service one night when we're especially tired. We've stayed at the Westin the last two years and the Intercontinental before that. Last year the Westin offered some kind of room service special with pizza and wings one night.

We have also eaten at the Atlantic Beer Garden and Whiskey Priest. We met some people at Whiskey Priest and they got there just before 9pm and were seated, we got there at 9pm and had to pay a cover charge ($10pp) so that's something to consider if you're going out later.

3DS: 2964-9827-0033
  • DisposableLemurDisposableLemur Registered User regular
    This thread helped me so much last year. I took a bunch of suggestions, and then made reservations for dinner for every night on Opentable. This was the smartest thing I did all weekend, and I can't recommend it enough. We went to extremely crowded spots, walked right in, and ate exactly when we wanted to. I got some great recommendations, but our first night there was amazing. We met up with 13 friends for dinner at No Name, who were extremely accommodating, letting us reserve such a large party the day of (Thursday). My girlfriend and I tried to get a cab from the Westin with two other friends, and the guy at the cab stand just gave us walking directions, and told us to save a few bucks. We had gotten maybe a 100 feet away when he yelled "Hey No Name" at us, and waved us back over. An off duty limo driver had just dropped off some passengers, and overheard us talking about it, and wanted to take us there for free, because he was headed there for dinner. He was so excited to show people from out of town his favorite spot that he drove us there, and we had to force a tip on him for the lift. He apparently went 4-5 nights a week. When we went to get out, he just lead the way with the biggest smile on his face, and then introduced us to the entire staff, and told them to take care of us, saying we were friends of his. Everyone was so warm and inviting, and the food was really good. That experience just set me up for a high note for the rest of the weekend.

Barking crab was really good, and a lot of fun, we really enjoyed it. I took my girlfriend out for a dressed up romantic dinner on Friday night, to Stephanie's on Newbury (Thanks @scorpius !) and the food was amazing. It was on the pricey side, but that's what I was looking for. We're going back with friends this year. I think all in all, we spent about $120 on food, drinks and desert, and then another $40 or so on cab rides there and back. It was some of the best food I've had in recent memory, just fantastic.

The best advice I can give? Boston is a cool city. Find some places a bit further from the convention center for dinner, and go on an adventure. There are some great suggestions in this thread.

• sfford2008sfford2008 Registered User regular
    gonexall wrote: »

Mainly the distance, the neighborhood is not a problem

• cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    Our group ate at Jerry Remy's Sunday afternoon. Place has mixed reviews but we all liked everything. Seated right away and nice view of the water. It's a big place since its a sport's bar, but it felt nice and calm getting away from the crowds at the convention center.

• craiolacraiola MARegistered User regular
    Might I recommend organizing this all into a google doc similar to the hotel google doc from last year? It would be an easier way to access the information than scrolling through the thread. I'd be more than happy to organize this, but I'd like to give OP the opportunity to do so if they prefer it :)

DXLJjjr.png
  • PurpleSkyPurpleSky Registered User regular
    craiola wrote: »
    Might I recommend organizing this all into a google doc similar to the hotel google doc from last year? It would be an easier way to access the information than scrolling through the thread. I'd be more than happy to organize this, but I'd like to give OP the opportunity to do so if they prefer it :)

Feel free to do this if you want. I just made this post because I really found it useful in the prime forum and thought it'd be a fun thing to talk about for Boston. :)

• DanQDanQ Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    This is mostly if you have a car available, but if you are a beer snob (or want the biggest and best plate of nachos you have ever had) the sunset tap and grill right outside of Boston in Allston is definitely worth checking out if you have the time. They have literally 100 beers on tap and like 200-300 more in bottles. The nachos are also big enough to be a meal for two people and they are awesome. It's not really convenient to get to from the convention center, but it is definitely worth the effort if you are the type to always be on the prowl for new and interesting beers.

DanQ on
  • DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    The First Timer's Must Dine at Guide

If you don't eat at "NO NAME" at least once, you might as well have not gone to Boston. No Fancy Menus, No Fancy Foods, McDonalds has better table service, but best and freshest seafood in Boston. The prices don't get any better, and it within a few blocks of the Seaport and BECC. If your going to LEGAL, go to the Legal Test Kitchen, better food then Legal but the wait service is not as good, but that is like saying first class on a 777 is not as good as first class on a 747.... its still first class service.

DURGIN PARK.... Its real Boston Cooking. Most people wont like it, but if you want a real Boston Meal, Go here.

PARKER HOUSE .... Want to impress someone, this is where to go. Locke-Ober is gone, but the chefs here are almost as good, and how can you not go to the original home of Boston Cream Pie and Parker House Rolls?

Finally, REBECCA'S CAFE ... Sandwich Shop which is a Boston Institution. Its Sandwiches and the only opportunity you will get to eat there is Friday Lunch (no weekends) but its worth the Detour.

• Ana NgAna Ng Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I was in Boston on Saturday for a college tour, and randomly dropped by the South Street Diner for breakfast, it's pretty much 30 seconds away from South Station.
    Fun, friendly waitress; very fast service; good food (with bottomless coffee); and I found the price to be fair - two of us ate a very fulfilling breakfast for $25 including the tip. Also it is a 24 hour place which could be very convenient for late night PAXers :)

Distance from BCEC: 1.1 mile (20 minute walk according to Google Maps)
    Price Range: Listed on Yelp as "Cheap, usually under $10"

Ana Ng on
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular

Mainly the distance, the neighborhood is not a problem

If you do the Pokecrawl, Faneuil Hall is a great place to hit then since it's right nearby.

The walk isn't really that bad though, probably like 25 minutes from the con. Chinatown is about the same distance too, and you can't go wrong there either.

• FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    I personally like Bertucci's. Not really budget but it's not super expensive either. I like that the food is great and that not too many people seem to know about it either. It's been a stop of ours every time we went to Boston. It's near Faneuil hall too!

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Account4ThisAccount4This BostonRegistered User regular
    The Blue Dragon on A St (walkable from South Station or the BCEC) is pretty awesome food, medium pricing, definitely a favorite of mine (I'm a local so I've been there a few times now)

• PurpleSkyPurpleSky Registered User regular
    As requested by one of the replies, I'll be compiling a list of suggestions. When you suggest please give a location relative to the BCEC. Price range is nice info also.

• mhawk066mhawk066 Registered User regular
    If you are near the intercontinental, like Mediterranean food and great table service, definitely go to trade.

• lirelentlirelent Registered User regular
    I highly recommend the Flour Bakery and Cafe for lunch or breakfast. It's about a five minute walk from the convention center, off congress a block or so before you get to the Channel. The food is delicious. I should point out that there is no table service and the dining area is small and tables are little cramped. Also, it is close to the Boston Children's Museum, so if you go at the right time, you might encounter a group of kids and moms. However, the food trumped all this, and I loved it. I even used it for an afternoon coffee break (had a wonderful brownie with my cup of joe).

I second this, Flour has been my best discovery so far for food in that end of town.

• fynixfynix Registered User regular
    We order from Foodler every year because they deliver from a ton of places right to the hotel room. Panera bagels for breakfast every morning, w/ assorted other stuff for lunch/dinner. Best was from Cafe Podima last year. Gigantic sandwiches that were super tasty.

• BearTheHumanBearTheHuman Registered User regular
    Just a tip, and I almost want to keep this to myself because it's so delicious for breakfast and they tend to run out of food after a while. There's a little convenience store that sells made to order breakfast sandwiches right outside of the Hilton Financial District hotel. If you get that hotel (it's one of the PAX hotels through OnPeak with a shuttle stop), it is the BEST place to get a quick breakfast before you go to get in line for PAX. So good. I almost want to get that hotel again just so I can enjoy that deliciousness that are those breakfast sandwiches.

• cky71321cky71321 Boston, MARegistered User regular
    As someone who's local to the city proper (25 years and counting), I'll throw out some quick suggestions depending on location. It's been mentioned elsewhere, but the T (our public transport system) sells a 7-day bus/subway pass that easily pays for itself over time if you're out and about.

By the BCEC - The Seaport District

If you've been here before, you know how seemingly barren the area is when it comes to food. The BCEC itself is really expensive on the food front, so try to avoid it if possible. South Station (a major subway/Amtrak hub) has numerous fast food places that will give you more bang for your buck, and it's a 15 minute walk or a quick Silver Line trip. Under the Seaport hotel and on Seaport Boulevard, you'll find plenty of convenience stores and rather expensive restaurants. They're nice, but keep the price in mind. For the adults out there, Lucky's and the Harpoon Brewery (they sell pretzels and the taste test is free/$5) are the better bar choices over Whiskey Priest/Atlantic Beer Garden.

Downtown - Copley

It's been mentioned in the thread twice already, but Fire and Ice is a massive value if done correctly. For lunch, it's $!0 for unlimited AND good food. Sunday brunch is $14 and dinner is $19, and they'll both be packed. If you're exploring on an off day, consider it for lunch. Most other places in the area and Newbury Street all have good food - definitely check out the Pour House if you're in the area.

Downtown - Faneuil Hall

Anything in the nearby North End is worth a visit - personal recommendations go out for Ernesto's/Umberto (they're only open for 3 hours a day for lunch) for pizza, Dino's for subs, and Vita's Tavern for the bar atmosphere. As for Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market itself, I'd suggest Saus (poutine, amazing sandwiches, fried sausage), Cuppacoffee (little coffee shack that sells Aussie food), and the entirety of Quincy Market for the fast food if you need diverse options. Avoid Dick's, it's a silly gimmick and the food isn't worth it. City Hall also has food trucks from time to time, but April might be a bit too early for them.

But what about seafood?

As long as you're not going to a Long John Silver's (I'm not even sure any exist here), you'll be fine for the most part. If it's not a chain and it looks good - it most likely is. My personal preferences here are waaay outside the city, so they're not really worth it for a weary traveler.

I'll be glad to throw out more suggestions if people want to get very specific.

• rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    how far away is the harpor brewery from the convention center cab wise

• aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Ras I checked on street view, can't be more than 10 min walk or so from Seaport

aBByNormaL on
    PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    ya if you know how to get there from were you are. maybe I will take a gps with me so i know how to get to certian places. so 10 min walk from seaport is only what maybe 15-20 from convention center