As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV:ARR] Servers Up!, and surprisingly stable! 7 free days starting 9/4/13

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    I really wish this game had some kind of installation repair utility so I don't have to re-download the whole thing at a whopping 360 KB/s.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Where can I find Diremites in the world? I need to farm their web for weaving.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Suriko wrote: »
    Archery level 25 quest.

MMOs aren't supposed to make me feel, damnit. This is all wrong.
    You should have played SWTOR, the single player story is really really good in that.

That said, the Pugilist quests to 30 are a really, really good arc and the Monk 50 is a great "no, you sit the fuck down" fight.

Made it through Castrum Meridianum which is far longer than it needed to be and made me sad at the end.

This is what gives this game an edge, actual story. It pulls you through.

• BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    No, it's all the chocobos

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Suriko wrote: »
    Archery level 25 quest.

MMOs aren't supposed to make me feel, damnit. This is all wrong.
    You should have played SWTOR, the single player story is really really good in that.

That said, the Pugilist quests to 30 are a really, really good arc and the Monk 50 is a great "no, you sit the fuck down" fight.

Made it through Castrum Meridianum which is far longer than it needed to be and made me sad at the end.

This is what gives this game an edge, actual story. It pulls you through.

The inclusion of an actual story is very nice, it's just unfortunate that it seems to kind of suck. It just seems way too black and white, "lets all just pull together!"

PSN: Kurahoshi1
    Lucascraft wrote: »

North Shroud, east and west of Fallgourd Float.

Good luck, because they tend to be pretty heavily farmed.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »

North Shroud, east and west of Fallgourd Float.

Good luck, because they tend to be pretty heavily farmed.

Thanks.

Seems odd that they only exist in one place. Almost every other enemy type is very well represented in the world.

edited September 2013
    They drop from multiple types of mites, but the 25-27 Banemites in North Shroud are where you'll most easily find them. You can get a few going through Toto-Rak as well.

If you're lucky and nobody's farming them (the ones east of Fallgourd tend to be less camped), you can get a stack of 99 in ~90 minutes.

Edit: Also, if you haven't done it yet and really need some diremite web, there's a quest in South Shroud called An Apple a Day. You collect some apples, and each apple you collect spawns a miteling, which can drop web. You can abandon the quest before turning it in, re-accept it, and collect more apples for more mites and thus more web. I'd only do that as a last resort though, 'cause it's a pain in the ass.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    what about high level diremites? I'm 50 so I can farm anything and I would assume higher level = more hq drops

My highest character is only 32, so I have no idea where high-level diremites would be, or what they drop.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    First genuine hacker/exploiter seen today. Idiot was teleporting directly onto the tops of mining nodes. You know, on top of unclimbable walls. Reported, and suggested through a shout that everyone should do the same and all I got was a "lulwhat?" Humans.

Wow. They didn't think to add a teleport hack prevention thing?

Wouldn't surprise me to see someone come out with a noclip hack - when I was playing on my too-old-for-this laptop I was clipping through staircases and whatnot like crazy while using the chocobo porters

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    I don't know if anyone else would find this useful, but since I bothered to put it together for myself I'll make it available for everyone. Here is a list of crafting/gathering gear by level. It should include everything that is craftable (ie, not rep gear). Feedback is welcome.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Is there an easy way to tab between strangers like I do with mobs? It'd make healing at FATES a lot easier.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    So I found the only Best Buy to have a copy of this game in stock anywhere in a 6 state radius. Turned out to be in Pennsylvania. Right down the street from my wife's family. Who we just so happened to be visiting this weekend.

So guess who finally got his copy!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • ParagonParagon Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Is there an easy way to tab between strangers like I do with mobs? It'd make healing at FATES a lot easier.

In Keybind, go to System.

There's a setting called Move Cursor/Target Cursor left or right.

I have that bound to shift+tab, personally, but keep in mind that it is not an actual target that you have, just a "select next action" pointer. What this means is you can cycle through and cast Cure, but then it will revert to your previous target.

In order to prevent this you have to cycle through and then hit "confirm" (default numpad 0). It's a bit of a pain, but it's what we have to work with right now...

• HollowJoshHollowJosh Registered User regular
    For some ungodly reason, I decided to start out as a conjurer. It's not terrible, but it is fun to switch to lancer or something and level immensely faster. Just got out of Gridania, not sure what class to pick up next.

Character is Wilhelm Barca on Sarg. Can I get an FC invite from one of you lovely gents?

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Anything I need to know before tanking Halatali? Also, is it worth it spend the Gil in Vesper Bay to upgrade some pieces to iron? There are some decent upgrades available from the vendor, but I'm not sure if it's worth spending 5-6k gil for them.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    HollowJosh wrote: »
    For some ungodly reason, I decided to start out as a conjurer. It's not terrible, but it is fun to switch to lancer or something and level immensely faster. Just got out of Gridania, not sure what class to pick up next.

Character is Wilhelm Barca on Sarg. Can I get an FC invite from one of you lovely gents?

My problem with conjurer at the moment, at level 22, is not speed, but a concern about the boringness of healing. Looking at later skills, it doesn't seem like its going to reach the equivalent of dosing, with interesting combos etc, or the toolkit of healing in WoW as a Druid etc.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Handgimp wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone else would find this useful, but since I bothered to put it together for myself I'll make it available for everyone. Here is a list of crafting/gathering gear by level. It should include everything that is craftable (ie, not rep gear). Feedback is welcome.

This is awesome, thanks!

My main feedback is that it's hard as hell to find the quote button in your posts. :P

I have a question about gathering/crafting stats. Is perception only for gathering? For some reason I thought it applied to crafting too.

EDIT: actually, another question; is it possible to 'save' files like this into my own google drive? The link doesn't have any buttons that I can see. :rotate:

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular

This is awesome, thanks!

My main feedback is that it's hard as hell to find the quote button in your posts. :P

I have a question about gathering/crafting stats. Is perception only for gathering? For some reason I thought it applied to crafting too.

EDIT: actually, another question; is it possible to 'save' files like this into my own google drive? The link doesn't have any buttons that I can see. :rotate:

Gathering/Perception = Gathering

Crafting/Control = Crafting

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • SoulFurySoulFury Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So anyone know a super secret way of actually purchasing a copy of this game?

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    what about high level diremites? I'm 50 so I can farm anything and I would assume higher level = more hq drops
    A brief check tells me that there's also Banemites in North Shroud around Alder Springs, but they're also 32ish. I saw hits that it's supposedly harvestable from Logs as Botanist, but I'm unsure how true that is.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    Jars wrote: »
    A brief check tells me that there's also Banemites in North Shroud around Alder Springs, but they're also 32ish. I saw hits that it's supposedly harvestable from Logs as Botanist, but I'm unsure how true that is.

I'm pretty sure it's not true, or else the prices for diremite web wouldn't be so high.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    So in case anyone was wondering, I'm Liliendra, and currently an Archer til I hit 15, at which point I'll switch to Thaumaturge so I can ultimately become a Black Mage.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    So in case anyone was wondering, I'm Liliendra, and currently an Archer til I hit 15, at which point I'll switch to Thaumaturge so I can ultimately become a Black Mage.

Do CNJ a few levels to get cure and aero; maybe even long enough to get protect/raise; but realize these are only things you can use as THM.

BLM can get a heal from ACN, just get to level 2 or whatever for their heal and BLM can use that one. Annoyingly BLM can't use Bio though, so they lose that second DoT either way. :(

You're gonna want a cure of some sort leveling THM/BLM to save you a lot of frustration.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    In general you will not want to spend Gil on items from vendors. There will be suitable quest rewards and dungeon drops available. The first several dungeons are not tuned to require bleeding edge gear, they assume you just have your quest rewards.

steam_sig.png

Do CNJ a few levels to get cure and aero; maybe even long enough to get protect/raise; but realize these are only things you can use as THM.

BLM can get a heal from ACN, just get to level 2 or whatever for their heal and BLM can use that one. Annoyingly BLM can't use Bio though, so they lose that second DoT either way. :(

You're gonna want a cure of some sort leveling THM/BLM to save you a lot of frustration.

Cool, thanks!

Also, looking over the THM spells and...why would I ever use Fire over Blizzard? They both do the same amount of damage but Blizzard costs only a fraction the mana of Fire? What am I missing?

LxX6eco.jpg
    chrisnl wrote: »
    In general you will not want to spend Gil on items from vendors. There will be suitable quest rewards and dungeon drops available. The first several dungeons are not tuned to require bleeding edge gear, they assume you just have your quest rewards.

I've played an MMO before ;)

LxX6eco.jpg
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular

Cool, thanks!

Also, looking over the THM spells and...why would I ever use Fire over Blizzard? They both do the same amount of damage but Blizzard costs only a fraction the mana of Fire? What am I missing?

You are missing Astral fire and Umbral Ice buffs.

In Astral Fire your Fire spells cost more but do more damage and you don't regen mana at all, in Umbral Ice your fire spells cost half the cost but do less damage and you regen mana like crazy.

THM bounces between a Burn phase and a mana regen phase. Whenever you cast an Ice spell it either removes Astral Fire, or gives you Umbral Ice (if you didn't have Astral Fire)

The same thing with casting a Fire spell, it removes Umbral Ice if it's up, and gives you Astral Fire if it's not.

Later you'll get a spell caleld 'Transpose' which has a 12 second cooldown and converts your Astral Fire into Umbral Ice and vice Versa.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png

Cool, thanks!

Well for one, there is a nifty pair of buffs that THM get. If you cast a fire spell, you get Astral Fire, which stops your mana regen but makes your fire spells cost more and do more damage. Casting a blizzard spell, you get Astral Somethingelse which lowers the damage of your fire spells, but greatly multiplies your mana regen. If you have one of those two buffs up, casting the opposite spell cancels the buff, and casting the opposite again gets you the other buff. Alternatively you can use Transpose to swap your fire for ice or ice for fire once every 12 seconds. As you get higher levels, you can stack the buffs higher (up to 3). It's a neat system.

steam_sig.png
  • GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013

Cool, thanks!

What you're missing is that it's Mana management system. Using Fire gives you a 10 second 'buff' wherein fire spells cost significantly more but do more damage so long as you don't use Blizzard. This does great damage but costs a lot of mana.

When your mana is low, switch to blizzard which gives you a buff- ice does more damage, fire costs less, but your Mana regen is through the roof. You can totally refill your mana bar from empty to full in seconds.

So you must balance the two to cause damage and have mana.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
    chrisnl wrote: »

I've played an MMO before ;)

Heh, actually that was a reply to somebody else's question, but I forgot to hit the quote button.

steam_sig.png
  • CuntyCunty Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    What's the least amount of time a person could spend on this game each day and actually expect to make some headway as far as leveling is concerned?

I played FFXI in the days of yore but I don't really have that kind of time anymore. Can someone find this game playable if they have 3 hours every other day to get it done?

Additionally, have the servers stabilized?

Cunty on
    gameintownk.png
  • Wicked Uncle ErnieWicked Uncle Ernie Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    What you're missing is..... :rotate:

Cunty wrote: »
    What's the least amount of time a person could spend on this game each day and actually expect to make some headway as far as leveling is concerned?

I played FFXI in the days of yore but I don't really have that kind of time anymore. Can someone find this game playable if they have <3 hours every other day to get it done?

Levelling is fast, and it's engaging enough to be fun on your own. There are some story quests that require grouping, which could become time consuming, but if you are on Sarg, usually you can get some guild help with little effort.

Wicked Uncle Ernie on
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular

This is awesome, thanks!

The original link is more presentable IMO, but ^c^v would lose formatting so here you go.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Cunty wrote: »

I played FFXI in the days of yore but I don't really have that kind of time anymore. Can someone find this game playable if they have 3 hours every other day to get it done?

More than enough time, think wow instead of ffxi in how content/ leveling is.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Playing a tank is fun, but honestly it's wearing me out. Do all the pulling, manage the entire group of enemies and pick up any tricky bits that happen to go down...

Rest of the group gets to sit in one spot and make big numbers happen. If I'm doing things right unless something specifically turns to target them with a nuke they don't even have to move. I don't know that there's anything that can fix this, but I really think I'll probably do arcanist classes when I'm done with war/paladin. I can definitely see why tanks are a rarity, it's about a thousand times the effort.

edited September 2013
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Playing a tank is fun, but honestly it's wearing me out. Do all the pulling, manage the entire group of enemies and pick up any tricky bits that happen to go down...

Rest of the group gets to sit in one spot and make big numbers happen. If I'm doing things right unless something specifically turns to target them with a nuke they don't even have to move. I don't know that there's anything that can fix this, but I really think I'll probably do arcanist classes when I'm done with war/paladin. I can definitely see why tanks are a rarity, it's about a thousand times the effort.

Having not really played an mmo since ultima online I was also surprised and honestly a little put off at how tank-centric the instances were.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    dispatch.o wrote: »

Having not really played an mmo since ultima online I was also surprised and honestly a little put off at how tank-centric the instances were.

It's crazy how stressful it is. I've only tanked 2 dungeons, but I get exhausted afterwards. Haven't been any deaths, but holy hell is it tiring.

I like it, but I'll have to take my time with it.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
This discussion has been closed.